Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues (2020-22 version!)

Comments

• Options
    PantasticalCatPantasticalCat Posts: 38 Member
    I'm planning on uninstalling and reinstalling my sims 3 game, but will my saves and all the households in the bin be deleted as well? is there a way for me to make sure all the families and households saved to my bin aren't lost? I'm not sure where bin contents are stored in the game, but if there was a way for me to copy them so I can still have them when I reinstall the game, that would be great.
    Thanks!
    ~Call me Cat, compulsive storyteller!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @PantasticalCat - Saves, player added content, things in the household and lot bins are all in the TS3 user game folder in Documents. Bin contents are in the Library sub-folder there. An uninstall/reinstall should leave the entire user game folder alone, but to make sure a best practice is to pull it out or copy it elsewhere first and verify that the reinstall works on the clean folder that will generate before moving the older one back into place.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Svn7Svn7 Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm glad this thread exists because I'm currently dealing with 2 issues and can't find any solutions to fix them.

The first issue involves the radio. Whenever the radio is playing on my lot and I click on someone who's at work, then back to my lot, the song that was playing randomly skips forward to the next song. I tried it several times and it changed to the next song every single time, regardless of which radio I have.

The second issue involves alien abduction. In previous games, I was always able to interact with the alien sim after they had abducted my sim. But now, the abduction never occurs. Instead, I always hear the spaceship taking off a few lots down from me.

I have all expansion packs, most stuff packs, and about 13 nraas mods.

I know these issues aren't game-breaking, but I just can't play knowing something's not working right. :(
  • Options
    @Svn7
    Radio - Do you find this happens if you merely select the sim who is at work, or only if you focus the game camera on them thus taking the focus away from the lot where the music is? If it's the game camera thing, there probably isn't a fix for that. Sims don't really notice as where a song is while it's playing or even which song is beyond their ability to "hear," they just know that they like or really like the station that's playing. The continuity of the currently playing song is really a thing only for the player.

Abductions - This sounds like more of a function of the lot being played. The spaceship requires quite a lot of space to land and for the scenario to play out fully. On and around some lots there just isn't going to be enough space for the scenario to even try, on others it may get started but fail part way through.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > @Svn7
    > Radio - Do you find this happens if you merely select the sim who is at work, or only if you focus the game camera on them thus taking the focus away from the lot where the music is? If it's the game camera thing, there probably isn't a fix for that. Sims don't really notice as where a song is while it's playing or even which song is beyond their ability to "hear," they just know that they like or really like the station that's playing. The continuity of the currently playing song is really a thing only for the player.
    >
    > Abductions - This sounds like more of a function of the lot being played. The spaceship requires quite a lot of space to land and for the scenario to play out fully. On and around some lots there just isn't going to be enough space for the scenario to even try, on others it may get started but fail part way through.

Hey,

In regards to the radio, I forgot to mention that the song only changes when I click on the portraits to navigate. Manually navigating to the area does not affect the radio at all. So, I'm assuming there's a bug with the portrait clicking somehow interfering with the radio?

About the abductions, there are about 10 square blocks of empty space between the road and the front of my house, with nothing in the way to block the scenario from playing out. I also do remember that the abduction did occur just once before but the alien never came down for my family to interact with it. I deleted that game and started a new one, but unfortunately, it never happened again. I've started several new games since then but all I ever see is the spaceship taking off about 2-3 lots away from me.
  • Options
    @Svn7
    As you mentioned NRaas mods, are you using PortraitPanel? If so and if that seems to be the cause, I would recommend posting about it at NRaas so our developer can see this. Although he may not have a solution right away either, it may be an issue that hasn't yet been reported.

On the abductions again, sorry but it still sounds like an issue with the particular lot and its positioning. Possibly there is something we (you) can't see on that 10 square area that isn't allowing the spaceship to land? Or are you using all different residential lots on the new games? This also might be worth posting about at NRaas to get other players' input on the potential issue. Personally I find the abduction scenarios annoying and just cancel them whenever I see them starting, so I'm probably not the best player to help troubleshoot those.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor

Yes, I am using portrait panel. I'm going to try reinstalling that particular mod to see if anything works. If not, I'll do as you suggested and hopefully can find a fix.

About the abductions, there is literally nothing in between the road and the house, not even tiles, pavements, or plants. I'm playing in Riverview, on the lot where Lucky Perkins lived. After moving him to a new lot, I changed the old lot from 30x30 to 40x40, built an incomplete house in the middle, and moved my family into it. The idea was to slowly purchase and upgrade my house as I earned money. So, as you can imagine, the lot is pretty empty. And if I do remember correctly, I've seen the alien abduction occur right in the middle of the road, hence why I'm thinking this could be a bug with the abduction itself.

Do you think reinstalling the game could probably fix the issues? I tried deleting certain cache files but that didn't fix anything.

Thank you for your continuous support btw. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    @Svn7 - Reinstalling the game doesn't generally accomplish anything at all. That involves the game's program files, which unless you are experiencing hard drive issues or a new patch is released (haven't had any in many years) do not change over time.

A good test, although it would be admittedly be very time consuming to arrange, would be to play a household on a different lot in town to see if the abductions are more successful there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    emilyofspielburgemilyofspielburg Posts: 48 Member
    @Svn7 I evicted Lucky Perkins from his lot too and moved him in with The Grandpas in my game! Don't worry, I gave him a complete makeover and new outfits too. He's so suave now, like an elder Don Lothario!

I bulldozed his hobo shack and put in a cottage/2nd home for my legacy family. That piece of real estate is a prime location for Sims who are seeking seclusion away from it all!
    Formerly The Master Thief of Riverview, currently a ghost. Beloved wife of world renowned surgeon Dr. Jebediah Wilson, mother to Caroline and Brady. My descendants know how to creep because of me. | Trash to Treasure Gameplay

https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=embuggy
  • Options
    @igazor The abduction and radio bug has happened in every household I played in town, unfortunately.

I thought it was a town-related issue because when I first started playing in Riverview, I edited a lot of existing houses and added more furniture to make them look more interesting. I thought all that re-furnishing might've caused a bug somewhere and so I tried a fresh new town, but I still had the same issues occurring there too.

The last time I played sims was early 2020, and I never experienced any issues with it back then. It's only recently that I noticed the bugs after installing the game again and updating my mods. By the way, I noticed something funny today. The sim I was playing with had her arm frozen as if she was holding a plate and it never fixed itself until I restarted the game. Could a mod be responsible for that?

I have a gaming pc and the game generally runs smoothly on it, but these bugs are really killing my motivation to play lol.
  • Options
    > @emilyofspielburg said:
    > @Svn7 I evicted Lucky Perkins from his lot too and moved him in with The Grandpas in my game! Don't worry, I gave him a complete makeover and new outfits too. He's so suave now, like an elder Don Lothario!
    >
    > I bulldozed his hobo shack and put in a cottage/2nd home for my legacy family. That piece of real estate is a prime location for Sims who are seeking seclusion away from it all!

Yes! That lot is probably my favorite part of town because it's far away from everything else. And you're nicer to lucky than I am because I moved his entire shack closer to cottoneye and left it in it's original depressing design. lol
  • Options
    emilyofspielburgemilyofspielburg Posts: 48 Member
    @Svn7 But at least you saved his home and moved him next to someone he could be potential bffs with! I can see Cottoneye talking about conspiracy theories around town and Lucky pretending to listen while happily scarfing down the free food he mooched off him. Gentrification is tough!
    Formerly The Master Thief of Riverview, currently a ghost. Beloved wife of world renowned surgeon Dr. Jebediah Wilson, mother to Caroline and Brady. My descendants know how to creep because of me. | Trash to Treasure Gameplay

https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=embuggy
  • Options
    @Svn7 - Does the same thing happen with the abductions in Sunset Valley or other EA worlds that have not been heavily edited? Do you have any mods from non-NRaas sources?

Objects like plates, glasses, and basketballs getting stuck to sims' hand have always been a thing. I'm pretty sure a MasterController Reset of the sim fixes that, at the expense of interrupting gameplay for that sim, as does a save and reload as you found.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor I wanna start by saying thank you so much for being so helpful with my situation. I really appreciate all of your replies. You're great!

To answer your question. The abduction fails regardless of household, lot type, town, or space available. Both the abduction failing and radio skipping songs occur in just about every single house I've tried. I've deleted caches, downloaded and reinstalled mods, and even reinstalled the entire game, but I'm still stuck with those 2 bugs. I'm going to try playing the game without mods this time and see if that changes anything. I'll respond with the results.

By the way, I do have about 16 sims 3 store items downloaded - Several hairstyles, clothing, pets, and 3 towns, and they all function normally.
  • Options
    > @emilyofspielburg said:
    > @Svn7 But at least you saved his home and moved him next to someone he could be potential bffs with! I can see Cottoneye talking about conspiracy theories around town and Lucky pretending to listen while happily scarfing down the free food he mooched off him. Gentrification is tough!

Haha, I knew I made the right decision then. I can totally see Cottoneye and Lucky being close buddies. They both need some company since they barely have any friends.
  • Options
    @igazor

Quick update. I tried the game without any mods, but I'm still getting the same issues. I guess I could just try to ignore these bugs because I can't seem to find any fix for them. :(

Thank you for the help, igazor.
  • Options
    bibi2011brecelbibi2011brecel Posts: 7 New Member
    @puzzlezaddict I followed your instructions and now it says "found: 1, matched: 0" and also "texture memory 1024MB". So it worked kinda, except for the "matched".
    I tried to play my problem-household (in Twinbrook) afterwards, but it's still lagging... I also played a new Household (in sunset valley) and it worked just fine tho. Yet, I think I need to play a little more to see if my game runs better now.
    Should I change something else to get the "matched: 1"? Or could it be that I had to change the graphicrules.srg from the last expansion pack? Because theres also like a seperate graphicrules.srg in the expansion files, which didn't changed even tho I've changed the one from the "normal" Sims 3. I hope you understand what I mean.
    Also, thank you very much for telling me what to do exactly!
  • Options
    bibi2011brecelbibi2011brecel Posts: 7 New Member
    @puzzlezaddict Oh, I also set vertical sync to on per Nvidia Control Panel. I did this right after deleting my lagging household, so I can't really say how much it helps. But I'm letting you know if everythings fine after playing for a while again
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @bibi2011brecel Do you have a disc install? I don't think you need to edit the .sgr files in any pack folders, but I haven't tested myself because my only disc install was a decade ago.

Anyway, please copy and paste this section of graphicsrules.sgr (where you edited one value) into a post:

elseif (match("${cardName}", "*8800*") or match("${cardName}", "*9500*") or match("${cardName}", "*9600 GSO*") or match("${cardName}", "*9600 GT*") or match("${cardName}", "*9800 *") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*2?00M*") or match("${cardName}", "*3?00M*") ...

You can tell if your framerates are locked in by bringing up the cheats console (cmd-shift-C) and entering "fps on" without quotes; the number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen. Let me know what kinf of fps you get.
  • Options
    @bibi2011brecel Do you have a disc install? I don't think you need to edit the .sgr files in any pack folders, but I haven't tested myself because my only disc install was a decade ago.

Just to confirm here, there shouldn't be any reason to touch any of the sgr files associated with EP/SPs on retail disc or any other installs. It's only the base game ones that require editing for formal graphics card recognition.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    ilyuuilyuu Posts: 1 New Member
    I started using CC Magic today. My game runs much better but every lot and sim in store worlds have names like Gameplay/Excel/DOT0_World. I've tried reinstalling my worlds but it was no use. Any help? (:
  • Options
    Adelin4504Adelin4504 Posts: 17 Member
    Hey everyone! I'm playing Sims 3 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15", Late 2013) and my screen is tearing when I try to play the game.
    How do I fix it?
    I tried full screen and windowed mode, but no results.
    It literally has 70fps and my laptop heats up pretty much because of it.

Help?
  • Options
    @ilyuu - May I ask please if your TS3 Store content and worlds are actually from the TS3 Store or some other source? Has any attempt been made to remove the encryption on these items?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @Adelin4504 - Which graphics card (Apple Menu > About this Mac) do you have and are you running the original 32-bit TS3 for Mac version or the newly released 64-bit one?

Usually though, the solution is to adjust the resolution of the game and/or your system's display until you find a combination that stops doing that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Adelin4504Adelin4504 Posts: 17 Member
    > @igazor said:
    > @Adelin4504 - Which graphics card (Apple Menu > About this Mac) do you have and are you running the original 32-bit TS3 for Mac version or the newly released 64-bit one?
    >
    > Usually though, the solution is to adjust the resolution of the game and/or your system's display until you find a combination that stops doing that.

I'm playing on a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB, and a Quad Core i7 2.3 GHz.
    The version is the new 64 bit one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top