Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bots sell for less than they cost to make.

Bots are expensive to make both in terms of cost and time to make. After making the mechanism (5) and chips (2) then the cleaning bot ($1,500) I sold it and only got $88 simoleans. In contrast the handicraft table always sells for more than it costs to make the item. Not much of an incentive for robotics.

Comments

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2019
    Bronwin2 wrote: »
    Bots are expensive to make both in terms of cost and time to make. After making the mechanism (5) and chips (2) then the cleaning bot ($1,500) I sold it and only got $88 simoleans. In contrast the handicraft table always sells for more than it costs to make the item. Not much of an incentive for robotics.

Bots can also be upgraded. Cost might go up then.

Wonder if Copypasto works on them?

Also, I don't know if always correct. I made a drone for 60 (+ free parts from tinkering) and it sells for 150 from inventory.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Also, I don't know if always correct. I made a drone for 60 (+ free parts from tinkering) and it sells for 150 from inventory.

According to this guide, fully upgraded bots still only sell for about $150 more and you'd still lose out heavily on your investment: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/discoveruniversity/robotics/
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    That is very disapointing. But what about selling them with the retail system or the garage selling table and use the highest price? A robot shop would be a great addition to the mall I am in the process of creating and probably never will :neutral:
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited November 2019
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Or the cloning machine, that might be better.
    Even with cloning, still not a good business prospect. You would have to sell quite a few bots before turning a profit.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited November 2019
    You can't use copypasto on robotics, you can only burn them up. EA needs to rethink robotics. You get electrocuted too often and the sale prices are absurd, they sell way below the cost of making them. You should only make them for your own use and skill progression. In addition you can't que up the sub components for manufacture. It's a good lesson in basic economics: You don't make something to sell if it costs you more to make than you can get for selling it.

We need a mod to: 1. Lower the frequency of electrical shock. 2. Increase the selling price so that it always exceeds the TOTAL cost of making it, in addition given the time to make these items the cost should include an additional markup for the time of production.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sounds like trying to sell back a textbook...
    True, but you have to buy the textbook. Ah the days of examining the used textbooks to find one that wasn't marked up too badly. Now the real scam was law school case books. It seems that every term had a new edition of the books and the old ones, often costing over $100, were worthless.
    Well, simmers asked for more challenging gameplay, this is where it went...
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Hmm.. I use a mod for faster retail-actions and have since then really enjoyed retail. Would love to make a store for robotics and herbalism-potions but they both suffer from not being worth the time invested in them.

Does the Marketable-trait from the reward-store help? Think that was the name. The trait that makes items that you have crafted more valuable.

Ha ha, challenging gameplay yes but this was not what I had in mind.

Hmm.. I use a mod for faster retail-actions and have since then really enjoyed retail. Would love to make a store for robotics and herbalism-potions but they both suffer from not being worth the time invested in them.

Does the Marketable-trait from the reward-store help? Think that was the name. The trait that makes items that you have crafted more valuable.

Ha ha, challenging gameplay yes but this was not what I had in mind.

Yes, Marketable trait does still help with making more valuable items as noted in Carl's Guide on the Robotics skill. I wouldn't know by how much though.
    The other frustrating thing is the frequency of electrocution. It's way too high.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I really hope the developers don't end up making everything easier because of the complaints I've been seeing about the refreshing amount of difficulty this pack brings to the game. I want to enjoy the challenge for once.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited November 2019
    alan650111 wrote: »
    I really hope the developers don't end up making everything easier because of the complaints I've been seeing about the refreshing amount of difficulty this pack brings to the game. I want to enjoy the challenge for once.

I agree. Robotics has become my favorite skill in the game. It is very labor intensive, not particularly lucrative, and very, very dangerous. I'd like them to leave it as-is. This game needed a money sink. It still needs a few more of them, but Robotics is a step in the right direction.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    So they are just like a brand new car. Drive it off the lot and the price drops a lot lower than what the dealership asked you to pay for it. Strangely I'm okay with this. Sims need to lose money on some stuff instead of everything being a gold mine.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited November 2019
    Hmm.. I am all for balancing simoleons a bit. Went to the beach to look for seashells and got several hundreds of simoleons with a rare and a few common eyes of Sulani that was 90 a piece so that was Uni taken care of.

I mod my bills to be higher, I would love to see Uni to be more expensive. Let robotics be as difficult and shocking as it is. As far as selling stuff for less than what it costs to make them it feels less enjoyable to me. Then I will just go back to same old painting.... or go back to the beach because it was way more profitable than I thought it would be.

Money in the game feels wacky.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Hmm... My sim made two bots (Party bot and Cleaning bot) and each costs 3500$.
    She has level 10 robotics. She also used robo-arm, but I'm not sure if it matters.
    I also have mods, but nothing specific to that.
  • TheFlyingGentlemanTheFlyingGentleman Posts: 116 Member
    [quote="Bronwin2;d-968924"]Bots are expensive to make both in terms of cost and time to make. After making the mechanism (5) and chips (2) then the cleaning bot ($1,500) I sold it and only got $88 simoleans. In contrast the handicraft table always sells for more than it costs to make the item. Not much of an incentive for robotics.[/quote]

Did you sell them from your inventory ?. Selling them straight up sells for much less! I would recommend selling from inventory or build/buy.
  • DerellaDerella Posts: 765 Member
    I think anything crafted should always sell for a profit. Robotics is already annoying as is(huge component cost, constant electrocutions, time investment, sub-components). Making the finished product sell at a loss is unnecessary and does nothing to increase the "difficulty" - it just means that you level a skill to 10 in order to make 1 of each item and then never have a reason to use it again.
    I sold it out right, not from inventory so maybe that's why the sale price was so low. Also once I got up to lever 7 or 8 the electrocution rate dropped and then I got the robot arm and now electrocution happens rarely.

Now that I have my servo maybe I'll go back and make the bots.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    So they are just like a brand new car. Drive it off the lot and the price drops a lot lower than what the dealership asked you to pay for it. Strangely I'm okay with this. Sims need to lose money on some stuff instead of everything being a gold mine.

That's fine for your used Servos.
    But if you are manufacturing them as a business, then no, it would be pointless and you would be out of business, Like Ford selling Mustangs off the assembly line for a loss.

I wanted to have a sim make and sell Servos as a business.
    That's not going to happen unless a modder comes along and fixes that.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Hmm... My sim made two bots (Party bot and Cleaning bot) ...

So what do you think of the cleaning bot? I just made that one and it doesn't do much of anything. I also have the garden bot and I have upgraded it many times - but it is still slow. Servo is great.

• qnoftheamazonqnoftheamazon Posts: 643 Member
    I made a garden bot, but it works on the plants outside of my sim's property line. It'll take care of everything in her garden, but it goes out of the gate to the near by creek and will water an apple tree, snapdragon, mushrooms, and basil plants. I thought it only took care of plants that your sim planted in their own garden.
  • MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    I made a garden bot, but it works on the plants outside of my sim's property line. It'll take care of everything in her garden, but it goes out of the gate to the near by creek and will water an apple tree, snapdragon, mushrooms, and basil plants. I thought it only took care of plants that your sim planted in their own garden.

That's interesting to know.