Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Discover University - Gameplay trailer

15678911...Next

Comments

• Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    i wonder if sims attending university will stop aging while they are attending university similar to how it worked in ts3

Aging won't be turned off. Just gotta manually turn it off or just try to get it done once they hit YA considering it takes about 3-4 sim weeks to get all 12 credits.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2019
    @mika wrote: »
    I think that was easily the cringiest Sims trailer I've ever seen :# We get it, this game is for the hip and cool teen girls of the world, but geeeeezzzzz, the 'hashtags' and other weird slang and the way the voice actress spoke were so off putting.

Hilarious how this is the 2nd trailer, the GAMEPLAY trailer, and yet still nothing showing anything to do with classes. Is this a university pack or a "my life is so #crazy and so #weird, but so #fun, and and I love to #party, oh and I also just so happen to be in #school" pack? Seriously, they glossed over anything that actually related to school just to tell a story about this obnoxious girl. Where are the actual details about what's offered in the pack? Where is the schooling? What about the degrees? Jobs? The campuses? Literally all of that was ignored. This was supposed to be the trailer to tell us about what's new and interesting about this pack, but instead they just rushed through everything and used it as mere background for the unnecessary story.

Doesn't make the pack look appealing in the slightest In fact, it just makes the pack come across as void of content.

I dont know why y'all think they should appeal to you instead of the newer, younger generation. It makes complete sense for TS4 to mostly target teens and young adults as they have the most spending and staying power and are what brings attention to the game. Nobody cares what kind of music or things the 30+ folks are into for a reason. It's basic marketing. As cringy as it seems, this is what the target demo responds to, especially on social media platforms as I see many young women all over twitter and instagram referring to it as the "best trailer" yet.

Hate to say it, but the majority is all they're concerned about and the majority of Sims 4 players are young people / women. And the devs only come on the forums for ideas of what unique objects/mechanisms to add to the game, not really for our overall opinions and critiques. They're more active on twitter.
    Nobody expects ‘instead’. Would be nice if it would cater us all though. And that’s possible, this was the case with the predecessors and it’s the case with most other games I know or heard of.

And as for the second remark: oh? I do know some think like that, yeah. I went to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and read a review later. Someone complaining about the fact Tarantino had presumed everybody knew all those old stars nóbody knows or cares about, and this whole Sharon Tate business. Yeah, well, turns out there’s quite some people still walking around on planet earth who do know Steve McQueen and Mama Cas and Roman Polanski and who do care. What’s more: my own kids (19 and 22) love playing music from the 80s, when their mom was their age. Not to please me I can assure you (my son says things about The Beatles that HURT, pleasing me is the last thing on their bucket list :D ). They just genuinely love listening to Depeche Mode and The Cure and Madonna. The way I love The Beatles by the way, who were a thing when I was a toddler.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    @LeGardePourpre I can totally see that! I love the little nod.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    pinkparka wrote: »
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I liked the trailer :) I personally wish the majors are rabbitholes! I love to have secret society returning! Uni is my favourite at Sims2.

Lots of unpopular opinions, but we all have the right to have an opinion :)

What... Person wants Rabbitholes?!

I barely want to go to university classes in real life, why would I want to watch my sim sit through a lecture?

But in all seriousness I actually prefer rabbit hole classes, especially if that means they fleshed out other parts of the college experience more!
    So much this. College classes are very dull and boring. Also found this amusing to read from when the Sims 4 started: "No rabbit holes at all - Sims move off-screen for work and school. There are no hospitals, work/school buildings...etc. (x)" Source: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.858050-89-Features-Missing-From-The-Sims-4

Apparently a lot of people agreed to wanting rabbit holes then.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I liked the trailer :) I personally wish the majors are rabbitholes! I love to have secret society returning! Uni is my favourite at Sims2.

I barely want to go to university classes in real life, why would I want to watch my sim sit through a lecture?

But in all seriousness I actually prefer rabbit hole classes, especially if that means they fleshed out other parts of the college experience more!
    So much this. College classes are very dull and boring. Also found this amusing to read from when the Sims 4 started: "No rabbit holes at all - Sims move off-screen for work and school. There are no hospitals, work/school buildings...etc. (x)" Source: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.858050-89-Features-Missing-From-The-Sims-4

If I sound ignorant, forgive me, but.... isn't moving off screen virtually the same as a rabbit hole? *shrugs*

I'm all for more active everything, however, I'm ok with rabbit hole classes. More careers should be open, that's some variety but if the class is about science or history or arts etc, it's all going to be watching one sim stand there and talk while everyone else sits. Maybe a hand raised once in awhile, sims taking notes. Yeah, I don't see that as fun or game play if I'm honest.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @Camkat lol, yeah I remember when I was still playing sims 3 and all the 4 players were saying how there were no dreaded rabbitholes in the game. Of course there are rabbitholes. They are just invisible off-screen rabbitholes.

I've never had any objection to them though. I'd much rather concentrate on another sim instead of sitting watching someone sat at a desk in class for hours.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

If I sound ignorant, forgive me, but.... isn't moving off screen virtually the same as a rabbit hole? *shrugs*

I'm all for more active everything, however, I'm ok with rabbit hole classes. More careers should be open, that's some variety but if the class is about science or history or arts etc, it's all going to be watching one sim stand there and talk while everyone else sits. Maybe a hand raised once in awhile, sims taking notes. Yeah, I don't see that as fun or game play if I'm honest.
    No you don't and yeah that's why so much irony with it. I think I would be more entertained by younger Sims going to school than the older ones. Go to School mod is so great and honestly think an active school system makes more sense for grade, high school, and preschool than it would for university. University classes are really dull in comparison, so I'm glad more game play focus was done outside of class because that is when more interesting things happen.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Actually the big pro used by Sims 4 fans back then was that Sims 4 had so much potential because it wouldn’t have to work with rabbitholes, everything would be open! I see different double standards than you do apparently ;)

@LeGardePourpre The Sims 3 campus is almost a spitting image of that too.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Actually the big pro used by Sims 4 fans back then was that Sims 4 had so much potential because it wouldn’t have to work with rabbitholes, everything would be open! I see different double standards than you do apparently ;)

If I may interject: I think people were just happy that many things (like restaurants) were not rabbit holes because it's of course more fun to dine out with your sims than see them disappear. But I also recall many people saying they'd like some of the rabbit holes back - I think in part because it's just not realistic to expect them to make everything open, if only because of the massive performance issues this would cause. Plus, some rabbit holes like grocery stores, cinemas, certain types of office buildings, do make the world seem more lively but might be arduous or boring to actually have to join every time. I don't see it as a double standard to want a healthy mix of both - that being said, I would've liked some open workshops at uni. Not lectures but some classes like painting, debating, sports or even acting. But well, I'm still happy with what we got.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    SimTrippy wrote: »

If I may interject: I think people were just happy that many things (like restaurants) were not rabbit holes because it's of course more fun to dine out with your sims than see them disappear. But I also recall many people saying they'd like some of the rabbit holes back - I think in part because it's just not realistic to expect them to make everything open, if only because of the massive performance issues this would cause. Plus, some rabbit holes like grocery stores, cinemas, certain types of office buildings, do make the world seem more lively but might be arduous or boring to actually have to join every time. I don't see it as a double standard to want a healthy mix of both - that being said, I would've liked some open workshops at uni. Not lectures but some classes like painting, debating, sports or even acting. But well, I'm still happy with what we got.

There is painting outside with a model and everything but only if you choose just 3 classes and it leaves thing like that open for you Sims to do. There is a debate team at podiums. There are several other things too - I saw them in the live play but as i said you have to leave elective open and only pick 3 classes. During live play I saw a debate, I saw the painting with the model, I saw a poetry reading - there was more too but the girl doing the live play kept moving around to other things too. I hear there was Drama class - I wish I could have seen that - there's something to do with law but i didn't catch what they said so I don't know. I wanted robotics myself - not in the dorm stuff - but i believe that was being covered today so of course I missed it. But what you get to see and partake in all depends completely on how you do your sims classes and such. You choose and can partake in how you want to attend University. Like you want kitchens where you stay - well you can't be in a dorm but you can have roommates and live in a house and have kitchens. I would just live in a dorm myself and go get free food in the cafeteria. Beats the heck out of microwave food and set it up to have a study group right after eating to get higher grade scores so I can go for scholarships for the next semester. No loans for my sim if i can help it. lol.

Oh and there was a study group at the library and a free lunch in the cafeteria... I watched several hours and saw so much - believe me there is plenty and the girl showing it all said she had more she would be showing once the full embargo was lifted. I did not get to watch today so I haven't seen them but heard they were the best stuff yet and had several hours of that stuff ready to show. I wished i could have seen it but sometimes real life gets in the way - lol.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

There is painting outside with a model and everything but only if you choose just 3 classes and it leaves thing like that open for you Sims to do. There is a debate team at podiums. There are several other things too - I saw them in the live play but as i said you have to leave elective open and only pick 3 classes. During live play I saw a debate, I saw the painting with the model, I saw a poetry reading - there was more too but the girl doing the live play kept moving around to other things too. I hear there was Drama class - I wish I could have seen that - there's something to do with law but i didn't catch what they said so I don't know. I wanted robotics myself - not in the dorm stuff - but i believe that was being covered today so of course I missed it. But what you get to see and partake in all depends completely on how you do your sims classes and such. You choose and can partake in how you want to attend University. Like you want kitchens where you stay - well you can't be in a dorm but you can have roommates and live in a house and have kitchens. I would just live in a dorm myself and go get free food in the cafeteria. Beats the heck out of microwave food and set it up to have a study group right after eating to get higher grade scores so I can go for scholarships for the next semester. No loans for my sim if i can help it. lol.

Oh and there was a study group at the library and a free lunch in the cafeteria... I watched several hours and saw so much - believe me there is plenty and the girl showing it all said she had more she would be showing once the full embargo was lifted. I did not get to watch today so I haven't seen them but heard they were the best stuff yet and had several hours of that stuff ready to show. I wished i could have seen it but sometimes real life gets in the way - lol.

Oh I wasn't complaining, I'm very excited and agree there is a lot of fun stuff! It would have just been cool to have one active class - especially given how well they handles Get Famous, I love that EP and the acting career. But that doesn't mean I'm unhappy with what we're getting, just wanted to add my 2 cts to the open vs rabbit hole discussion xD
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I'll also throw in about the rabbit hole discussion. The reason I hated them so much in Sims 3 was because they replaced playable lots. It's not general rabbit holes that I'm against, Sims 2 had it's share with careers and classes. But if you went to a public lot in Sims 2, you had gameplay. To have this gameplay stripped out in Sims 3 was a bit of a shock to me. And it seemed that most of the buildings that came with EPs were also rabbit holes. I'm not a builder, so I was trying to drop down venues and play, but my Sim would take all this time to get across town just to disappear and be unplayable while time ticked on. This was not enjoyable for me. In my gameplay, I love to go socialize and meet other Sims on public lots. It's something I do a lot because I don't play homebodies. Even if I play a family, they're not domestic, they're out somewhere enjoying life or making mischief. If a Sim has to be somewhere like a job or a Uni class, I'm fine with them disappearing while I take the others off to an adventure or throw a party. But when I make the effort to go to a lot for entertainment, rabbit hole buildings fall flat and lifeless.

It just comes down to play style. The Sims franchise has a lot of players who play different ways and some things work for some people and don't for others. There's no need for people trying to "catch" players in a fabricated contradiction because Sims 4's Uni has rabbit hole classes. For this I'm content. I have no interest in playing through class because it would bore me as much as doing laundry. I'm happier to see that there are things happening on campus and in the dorms because my gameplay is more focused on what happens between classes. Just like in Sims 2 Uni, which was one of my favorite packs.

But as a side note, I can give examples of what I see as a "bad" rabbit hole in Sims 4. And that's diving in Island Living. What a waste. And the cave was a rabbit hole adventure, similar to the tree in Willow Creek, except that at least the tree had a secret lot at the end. The cave should have had a secret lot where you can forage for kelp or find more rare things; a place in a sparkling cave that could have been a pirate hideaway.

A rabbit hole that leads somewhere is okay, a rabbit hole that leaves the player sitting and staring at it is lame. My opinion, of course.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019

Oh I wasn't complaining, I'm very excited and agree there is a lot of fun stuff! It would have just been cool to have one active class - especially given how well they handles Get Famous, I love that EP and the acting career. But that doesn't mean I'm unhappy with what we're getting, just wanted to add my 2 cts to the open vs rabbit hole discussion xD

Those classes are live classes there were several sims doing them and other sims watching in the commons outside. If i was playing and not watching and I left 1 elective open and just took 3 classes I could have played all those electives - art class with models, drama class, poetry reading, debate teams, political debate, what ever the law thing was and the other class, also the robotic class - but if I did not leave an elective open and took 4 subjects I did not get to partake in any of those open classes and I Even doubt we see them because the other live play where the player had 4 classes with no electives i never saw any thing but people playing with the juice keg in that same common so it depends on how you choose to go to Uni. I plan 3 subjects and 1 elective so my Sims can attend every thing and every class. At least it is how I think they did it. I am going to try and catch those live plays I missed yesterday - maybe it will be clarified.

Now if I can remember who I watched on Twitch the day before. Does the mermaid Grotto sound familiar anyone. Who is that game changer. She kept talking she lives in the mermaid grotto.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member

Those classes are live classes there were several sims doing them and other sims watching in the commons outside. If i was playing and not watching and I left 1 elective open and just took 3 classes I could have played all those electives - art class with models, drama class, poetry reading, debate teams, political debate, what ever the law thing was and the other class, also the robotic class - but if I did not leave an elective open and took 4 subjects I did not get to partake in any of those open classes and I Even doubt we see them because the other live play where the player had 4 classes with no electives i never saw any thing but people playing with the juice keg in that same common so it depends on how you choose to go to Uni. I plan 3 subjects and 1 elective so my Sims can attend every thing and every class. At least it is how I think they did it. I am going to try and catch those live plays I missed yesterday - maybe it will be clarified.

Now if I can remember who I watched on Twitch the day before. Does the mermaid Grotto sound familiar anyone. Who is that game changer. She kept talking she lives in the mermaid grotto.

Ah! the Mermaid loving Game Changer is Simarchy, I believe.
    #Team Occult
  • Options

No, schools in particular were mentioned as well. Totally agree with what you say by the way, it’s why rabbitholes for me aren’t necessarily a problem (also not in this case). As long as they’re buildings.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited November 2019
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »

I didn't visit this world so I can't tell.

sims_c10.jpg

• Options
    crazycleopatracrazycleopatra Posts: 22 Member
    Wow it looks cool
  • Options
    crazycleopatracrazycleopatra Posts: 22 Member
    if you think it looks cool can you like and awesome this so I can be a member?
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    if you think it looks cool can you like and awesome this so I can be a member?

done. i remember doing this during my first days in the forums. sksksksksksk
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    Millis2Millis2 Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey I wish there was a cafteria and all robot station just like in the trailer and the party. i really looked forward to visit their place please @EA_Mai spread the word so we can download it!
  • Options
    MadAndyMadAndy Posts: 13 New Member
    Does anyone know when it's due out for the Xbox one ?
  • Options
    lakirelakire Posts: 75 Member
    > @MadAndy said:
    > Does anyone know when it's due out for the Xbox one ?

I think it was 17th december
  • Options
    MadAndyMadAndy Posts: 13 New Member
    Thank you lakire I know my girlfriend can get now I believe on her laptop xbox always comes later