March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University/Robots

Comments

• katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes, I'd like the robots to return in this or any pack
    I created robots in my game, sorta. They're vampires without needs and muted emotions. My scientist controls them with his SimRay, which he has helpfully dubbed "Robot Controller." I also built a "charging station" using the coffins and a bunch of the equipment from the scientist career.

I'd still love to have official robots, though. A futuristic pack would just be cool in general.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    The question was if I THINK if robots will come with this uni packs and no answer covers that, so

Yes i do think they will come as a life state with the uni EP. Do I like them? No. But I am happy for those who do as I see there are plenty of people that want them in their game. I would however like it if they contain a bit realism where my sims can build them and let them do tasks around the house and not so much as actual characters, just machines. Also cool if there are jobs connected with these things where sims can build these robots in their garage, either sell them or repair them for companies etc.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I never want robots to return
    I really do not care about robots they dont' do anything for me. They will just probably give us the same thing we had in Sims 3. I would buy this pack if there were new careers, and not rabbit holes either.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If the Microsoft leak is real, robotics will be a part of Uni, so maybe servos will make a return, too.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm excited for that - I love ITF and designing my own robots. It was much better than just using the ones offered. I do hope we can add sentry bot features to our robots. The Sentry bots in Sims 2 were a riot and I'd love that to be a feature choice for one of the Sims 4 robots.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    edited October 2019
    I would love to see robots as a lifestate return but I doubt it will happen in this pack. As a matter of fact the robot costumes we got in the last patch make a robots lifestates in this pack less likely. If we were to get robots then these costumes would have been used in the pack. I feel like they were leftovers from a robot lifestate that was considered in early development. And now we got them as freebies because they were already created. Purely speculation, of course, but that's what it looks like to me.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I would love to see robots return but I doubt it will happen in this pack. As a matter of fact the robot costumes we got in the last patch make robots in this pack less likely. If we were to get robots then these costumes would have been used in the pack. I feel like they were leftovers from a robot lifestate that was considered in early development. And now we got them as freebies because they were already created. Purely speculation, of course, but that's what it looks like to me.

Have you not seen the Microsoft leak about robotics coming in Uni?
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    edited October 2019
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I would love to see robots return but I doubt it will happen in this pack. As a matter of fact the robot costumes we got in the last patch make robots in this pack less likely. If we were to get robots then these costumes would have been used in the pack. I feel like they were leftovers from a robot lifestate that was considered in early development. And now we got them as freebies because they were already created. Purely speculation, of course, but that's what it looks like to me.

The info I have seen talks about robotics, so some form of robots will be present. But my post was about robots as a sim or special robot lifestate. I think if this description is indeed real (I think it is) then we might see robots as objects. But robots as sims is something I only believe if it is explicitly confirmed. Sorry if my post was confusing. I will edit it.

Just to clarify : robotics can mean anything at the moment going from a full robot lifestate to a glorified drone that repairs/upgrades objects to a rabbit hole robotics class. We need more info at this point. But a robot lifestate would be a dream come true.

The info I have seen talks about robotics, so some form of robots will be present. But my post was about robots as a sim or special robot lifestate. I think if this description is indeed real (I think it is) then we might see robots as objects. But robots as sims is something I only believe if it is explicitly confirmed. Sorry if my post was confusing. I will edit it.

Just to clarify : robotics can mean anything at the moment going from a full robot lifestate to a glorified drone that repairs/upgrades objects to a rabbit hole robotics class. We need more info at this point. But a robot lifestate would be a dream come true.

I hope it is a hand on class, not a rabbit hole. It is University after all.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    No, I don't think they are a part of this pack
    Never in my university experience ever experience someone that created a robot lol
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Never in my university experience ever experience someone that created a robot lol

Have you never heard of those science classes that challenge a student to create a way of protecting an egg being dropped from the roof, or robots that can walk or dance and (this has become a new sport) fight other battlebots? Science and robotics has become huge now. In my day, it was unheard of, but today, it's everywhere. I say it's about time that a game that has always included a bot of some kind, finally brings it to the college level as a course or skill or, at the very least, a club.

I will be greatly disappointed if there are no actual bots that we can build and will become a new lifestate. This would be the last pack I buy if that happens.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    ooh, my mad scientist and his daughter would love robots! He already has a "robotdog" named Ultron ^^
    would totally be more interested in the pack if robots come with it.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    No, I don't think they are a part of this pack

I’m sure there was also a time where nobody used computers in university, stuff changes. It helps that the sims isn’t an accurate representation of real technological advancements.

I wish there was some easy way to see what I’d voted for. I forgot lol.
    edited October 2019

No because they were in other packs. Sims 2 had them in Open for Business the robot you could build, the toy robots, and the 3 complete bot for selling (the sentry bot, the watering bot, and the cleaning bot.

Sims 3 had them in a couple packs with the ones we designed from the ground up in Into the Future. I do believe we got servos in an earlier pack, but not sure which one - I recall they could get married to each other or even marry humans but could not have baby robots. Simmers used to put realistic human skins on some of them to make them look human. I never did.

Sims 1 just had servo's that acted like butlers and maids, I think they came in Living large.

Will Wright was big into robots in real life ( he and his daughter did robot wars) so he made sure they were in the Sims.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member

Really? My school had a big engineering department with a robotics department and I think we had a robotics club. When I was at university building robots to battle was pretty big thing (or at least for nerds it was lol). It might be a new development but in the past few years robots are increasingly being developed especially for medical applications, so it makes sense to me for it to be in the University pack.

@Writin_Reg I believe the Servo equivalent for Sims 3 was from Ambitions but I'm not sure since that was one of the packs I didn't have.
  • InsaneStarInsaneStar Posts: 94 Member
    Well yes. I like robots. Servos, SimBots, or Plumbots. So I wanna see what the Sims 4 version of the full body robots look like. Though, we technically can build robots in Sims 4 if you have Parenthood installed. One of the school projects that can your child or teen Sim give you is the robot kit, but they're more like fuctional figures.
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    Not only do some unis make robots, so do some schools. My sons both made robots in their secondary school in a robotics class, one boy from an earlier year even entered a TV show called Robot Wars with theirs. Yes, they were little robots rather than androids, but nevertheless, teenagers made them.

Plus, I would love an android IRL, so if my sims could have one I'll get it for them.
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    ooh, my mad scientist and his daughter would love robots! He already has a "robotdog" named Ultron ^^
    would totally be more interested in the pack if robots come with it.

What if your mad scientist built a second daughter, better, smarter and generally all around cooler than his own daughter. Maybe his real daughter will hate her and try to sabotage her. >:)
  • CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
    I'd love to see playable android sims! Fallout style synths would be amazing. :) Especially if we could choose to have people hate them or sympathize with them. And they had to "earn" their emotional depth starting with blunted emotions and a lack of moodlets, choosing to either become more human or stay numb. (I'm imagining ranging from Data and then Spock of Star Trek to a range that's closer to normal. In short, I would LOVE to see them do robots and go BIG!
    6qrDi11.png
  • CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
    Maybe mad scientists/engineers could develop the ability to create organic and biomechatronic body parts. CYBORGS... Yassss, queen!
    6qrDi11.png
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    I want robots to return in two flavors: Servos and SimBots. Servos would essentially be helper drones, like they were in The Sims 1 that you activate from their charging pod. SimBots would look like Sims but work akin to how Plumbots worked in The Sims 3, effectively Sim-androids you could program however you want.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    What if your mad scientist built a second daughter, better, smarter and generally all around cooler than his own daughter. Maybe his real daughter will hate her and try to sabotage her. >:)

don't give me ideas, now I want robots even more!
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

edited October 2019

Really? My school had a big engineering department with a robotics department and I think we had a robotics club. When I was at university building robots to battle was pretty big thing (or at least for nerds it was lol). It might be a new development but in the past few years robots are increasingly being developed especially for medical applications, so it makes sense to me for it to be in the University pack.

@Writin_Reg I believe the Servo equivalent for Sims 3 was from Ambitions but I'm not sure since that was one of the packs I didn't have.

You may be right - it would make sense if it was. I have all the packs and the whole store - I will have to look into it - but you definitely could be right on that.

I went to the University of Arts and Sciences in New Haven, Connecticut (we shared a bit of campus with Yale) and robotics were a big interest at my Uni too. Keep in mind when I first went to Uni - robotics were new - the Jetsons was fairly new still and our space program had just landed on the moon. But robotics created huge interests in many accredited colleges.

ETA - Went back and looked and seems bots came to the Sims 3 in Ambitions but the Servos as a life state that could marry came in Sims 2 also in Open for Business according to what I see in the games - so robots, bots and servos all came with Open for business in Sims 2. Sims 3 did get improved Bots we could program all kinds of ways also in Sims 3 Into the Future. Boy I really need to go play some more Sims 2 and 3 - I am slacking lately in the knowledge department. LOL
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited October 2019
    LMcGE wrote: »
    Not only do some unis make robots, so do some schools. My sons both made robots in their secondary school in a robotics class, one boy from an earlier year even entered a TV show called Robot Wars with theirs. Yes, they were little robots rather than androids, but nevertheless, teenagers made them.

Plus, I would love an android IRL, so if my sims could have one I'll get it for them.

Well technically an android would include human parts and that is big time illegal pretty much around the world - so I can't see that happening. Too Frankenstein like - I'd guess.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I was just working on my Data Sim last night, so I would be thrilled to have an android life state for him!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: