Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I'm not excited for University (worst case scenario)....

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    LiELF wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg Long live Sims 2! Lol. I used to have three dorms and two Greek Houses nearly filled with my Sims in one of the University worlds - the French sounding one. I really weighed down my game with so many Sims. What a blast! Wish I could still play that save but I think I destroyed it with cheats and overloaded giant households in the Downtown. :D

One day I'll figure out how to get Sims 2 to play on Windows 10. Good times! <3

Did you try to reinstall the Sims 2 that EA gave us. It was updated to play on Windows 10. I play it on windows 10. I did have to use an app to make it see my video card and I turned it to medium graphics so it got rid of this weird black square shadow under the sims feet - and it works fine.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    It's a shame that one of the most requested EPs will drop 10 days after Planet Zoo. If Uni doesn't meet expectations, it may signal the end of the Sims.

But... It hasn't been confirmed. o:)

It's been found on the X-Box Microsoft Store site with S4 art (not S3) and a full description of what will be in it. Two colleges (University of Britechester and Foxbury Institute), bicycle riding, three possible new jobs (law, engineering and education), juice pong, juggling soccer balls, roommates, dorms and a mini-fridge.

Watch Pixelade videos on YouTube for all the info.
    The only thing that is certain is that a good part of the community will be bitterly disappointed. If it's like previous university packs, family players will be annoyed at yet another YA pack, and those whose 'university' experience isn't American middle-upper class will be left out. If they leave out some features from previous university packs to add features for other life stages and experiences, American YAs will gripe about the pack being 'watered down'.

I don't think FAMILY players will be upset with a Uni pack. Going to Uni is a very important part of most families lives. The prep, the anticipation, the worry about finances, etc.

If it's like previous university packs, we won't be able to play our families at all while playing the YA at university. And my families do just fine without a university phase - I'm more interested in raising the toddlers and kids. I usually age up my teens early to start the next generation - the last thing I want to do is spend time partying at a university with my YA. (I think I played an actual student for half a day in S2 or S3 - it was horribly linear and very stressful for my 'loner' Sim.)

I'd much rather have an education pack that provides options, such as night school and online classes - that would fit in much better for family play. And, of course, I want features for my kids and teens, who haven't had much in recent packs. (Homeschooling!)

Firstly. previous packs were stand alone, S4 worlds are all connected. So, I see no reason that switching from one to the other wouldn't be possible.

Secondly, if that's how you feel, why would you even buy this pack in first place?

Thirdly, with every remake of past packs being smaller but more focused, I don't see a huge EDUCATION pack coming in November. That's far too much and I'd rather have all that data space for Uni. Grade school and High school are boring compared to college anyway. There is a possibility that a lower grades education pack might come later, maybe with a home schooling option, but I don't see it being a part of the Uni pack. If it was added, both Uni and lower grades would suffer and have little game play and it would have been a waste because no one will get what they want.

Same here. Uni is supposed to be just for Universities and higher learning - not grade school.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg Long live Sims 2! Lol. I used to have three dorms and two Greek Houses nearly filled with my Sims in one of the University worlds - the French sounding one. I really weighed down my game with so many Sims. What a blast! Wish I could still play that save but I think I destroyed it with cheats and overloaded giant households in the Downtown. :D

Did you try to reinstall the Sims 2 that EA gave us. It was updated to play on Windows 10. I play it on windows 10. I did have to use an app to make it see my video card and I turned it to medium graphics so it got rid of this weird black square shadow under the sims feet - and it works fine.

I did once but my Sims had the black box shadow under them and the game crashed in ten minutes of play. I plan to do a little research to see if I can get it working for me. I also need to find out if my mods/cc from my previous game (installed on discs) can be used in the Origin Ultimate version.
    #Team Occult
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    I'm one of the few people that found Sims 3 University living disappointing. It felt less like a "life journey" and more like a feature your Sims could do before going back to standard gameplay with a couple of extra features. I feel that was in part due to 'Young Adult' already being in the game and also making the University World being a destination world therefore being restricted to only one household at a time playing at University.
    I loved the feature in Sims 2 where you could select scholarships for teen sims and when the time was right, you could select the teen Sims which would join your Sim at University.
    Given that Sims 4 has restricted worlds I suspect they will keep with the Sims 3 feature....
    chickenow wrote: »
    I'm one of the few people that found Sims 3 University living disappointing. It felt less like a "life journey" and more like a feature your Sims could do before going back to standard gameplay with a couple of extra features. I feel that was in part due to 'Young Adult' already being in the game and also making the University World being a destination world therefore being restricted to only one household at a time playing at University.
    I loved the feature in Sims 2 where you could select scholarships for teen sims and when the time was right, you could select the teen Sims which would join your Sim at University.
    Given that Sims 4 has restricted worlds I suspect they will keep with the Sims 3 feature....

I enjoyed S2 Uni better than S3 Uni. S3 felt like I was doing the same game play I was doing at home but in a college setting.

With all the S4 worlds being connected, I'm hoping that I can have multiple sims from different households off to college and can play any of them and switch to any of them just like I can while playing now.

I have an idea to send a set of twins off to college, one to Britechester and one to Foxbury so I would like to be able to switch back and forth and play one student one day and the other student the next day (real days, not sim days). Having the twins at different colleges will be a good way to have the school rivalry mentioned in the leak. I can see them coming home between semesters and decorating their shared room with college stuff to make each other angry.
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member

I enjoyed S2 Uni better than S3 Uni. S3 felt like I was doing the same game play I was doing at home but in a college setting.

With all the S4 worlds being connected, I'm hoping that I can have multiple sims from different households off to college and can play any of them and switch to any of them just like I can while playing now.

I have an idea to send a set of twins off to college, one to Britechester and one to Foxbury so I would like to be able to switch back and forth and play one student one day and the other student the next day (real days, not sim days). Having the twins at different colleges will be a good way to have the school rivalry mentioned in the leak. I can see them coming home between semesters and decorating their shared room with college stuff to make each other angry.

Exactly!! I would love this too. Although the worlds are already connected and teen sims can already technically meet I would love Sims from Willow Creek to be in the same dorms as a Sim who grew up in Strangerville.
  • KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited October 2019
    There is too much gameplay missing from TS4 to really make me impressed by a Uni EP. Even if the Sims are better looking, the gameplay is entirely too basic. And I agree, the traits suck. The only reason they managed to get so far with TS3 is because they re-used tons of animations from TS2 to save time. I know that they have moaned about animating TS4 but with Island Living its like they couldn't even be bothered to throw in some useful content like volleyball, hammocks or underwater diving areas. A few things that are missing which upset me the most are things like bunk-beds, pool table, cars, slow-dancing, numerous hobbies/activities/careers from previous expansions.

Exactly!! I would love this too. Although the worlds are already connected and teen sims can already technically meet I would love Sims from Willow Creek to be in the same dorms as a Sim who grew up in Strangerville.

What about a Romeo and Juliette story line where Juliette attends Britechester U and Romeo attends Foxbury. They meet at a game and fall in love but must meet in secret so their college friends don't find out about their ill-fated love.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

What about a Romeo and Juliette story line where Juliette attends Britechester U and Romeo attends Foxbury. They meet at a game and fall in love but must meet in secret so their college friends don't find out about their ill-fated love.

Do it.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Wasn’t Magnolia Promenade originally supposed to be part of Willow Creek or something? It seems a little unfair to judge it based on that.

Anyway lectures in TS3 were boring, so I really don’t care if classes are rabbitholes.

Community Colleges and online classes would be super cool though. Get a degree with it becoming your entire life! It was honestly really frustrating to have to put the rest of your sim’s lives on hold to get your sims through school.

I would love a community college and online classes option. I just hope they don't replace regular university with community college and online classes, which is something I'm a bit worried about. They need to have both.

Also, if Magnolia Promenade was supposed to originally be a part of Willow Creek, doesn't that sort of prove my point? We either get a small/ no new world, or we get lots of gameplay. There doesn't seem to be anything in between, like getting a nice big world and lots of gameplay. The only pack I can excuse this for is Seasons, because they had to repaint each new world and STILL added lots of gameplay.

Get to work also had the police station, the hospital, and the huge Science center besides the retail.

Sixam too.
  • delelisedelelise Posts: 10 New Member
    All I want is deep gameplay like Get Famous and a large world like Get Together.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Also I'd like to ask people here, now that they actually stuck with that title: What does 'Discover University' exactly mean?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    Well in humans it is your chance to go somewhere for higher education - but who knows what that means in the Sims. I hope it means better jobs and smarter Sims.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited October 2019

I did once but my Sims had the black box shadow under them and the game crashed in ten minutes of play. I plan to do a little research to see if I can get it working for me. I also need to find out if my mods/cc from my previous game (installed on discs) can be used in the Origin Ultimate version.

There is still a lot of newer Sims 2 stuff (CC and mods) over at modthesims. You might check there.

And back on subject - I look forward to trying Sims 4 Uni myself.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    EA is excellent at eye candy and making a pile of bull dung look amazing. The trailer will no doubt be another bait and switch by the talented PR team. So don't put to much stock in the trailer. If they add a Pool Table and Spiral Stairs then they got my $$.
  • NylaliaNylalia Posts: 64 Member
    I like child sims. I also like Riverdale.

Although I am anticipating University, I really was hoping for a pack called "Get Schooled," with more learning opportunities for children and teens.

Gameplay for children is limited. I hope that there's room for genius kids to take some University classes.
    edited October 2019
    Nylalia wrote: »

Although I am anticipating University, I really was hoping for a pack called "Get Schooled," with more learning opportunities for children and teens.

Gameplay for children is limited. I hope that there's room for genius kids to take some University classes.

They have special schools for gifted children for your kids usually until they have reached a maturity to attend Universities which is generally in their mid teens. Gifted children are always smart enough for Uni but are often not mature enough for how Universities work - that's why the special schools for gifted students that cater to the needs of these children and give them a better rounded education as well as help them grow up in more fitting environment than any University could provide. Just being very intelligent is never enough for a child. Truthfully at least in the USA we still need to work on properly educating these very gifted student - as even school designed for them do not do enough to really provide the things these kids really need. Many foreign countries I think meet their needs much better then they do here. Hopefully one day my country will wake up and really provide these kids what they need to be as good and smart as they should be.

Universities will never be the answer to a 10 year old though - for one the best Universities are very expensive - most parents could not afford that kind of education for their children and scholarships are generally not offered to children in college so that leaves trying to place your child in schools we do have for gifted kids. It is much better than any public school - it does cost money but not as expensive as University. By the time your child is mature enough for University they can earn a scholarship to further their education. Hopefully in time the USA will finally do more to help these young gifted kids have the education that will fully matter.

Like an old commercial has stated for years - A mind is a terrible thing to waste - it is so true when these young may be the answer to so many future problems if just given the education they need.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• M1ss_PlumbumM1ss_Plumbum Posts: 189 Member
    edited October 2019
    I’m from Denmark. Over here all education is free and I just finished my Master degree. Everyone can go to university here.

I think our education system is very different from the American one...at least based on what I have seen in movies. But I don’t really mind if the game is based on the American system. The Sims is American after all and I will learn something about your culture, I suppose. :)

But I do like when Maxis are making worlds inspired by other countries and cultures like Sulani etc. Those are often more beautiful.

I’m hoping for a Scandinavian inspired one in the future. Would be fun to see how Maxis would interpret and show our culture. :)
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I’m from Denmark. Over here all education is free and I just finished my Master degree. Everyone can go to university here.

I think our education system is very different from the American one...at least based on what I have seen in movies. But I don’t really mind if the game is based on the American system. The Sims is American after all and I will learn something about your culture, I suppose. :)

But I do like when Maxis are making worlds inspired by other countries and cultures like Sulani etc. Those are often more beautiful.

I’m hoping for a Scandinavian inspired one in the future. Would be fun to see how Maxis would interpret and show our culture. :)

It would be nice if they allowed us to build our universities and choose their available classes & etc similar to the way we build restaraunts

Even as an American I agree that The Sims is far too Americanized.

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Nylalia wrote: »

Me too. I mostly play teens, i would love to play children more but I can only play with that dollhouse so many times. There is a huge lack of things for them to do. I'm just waiting for a modder to turn this into an awesome school system for other ages. Adults have everything in the world to do and plenty of nice careers.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Also I'd like to ask people here, now that they actually stuck with that title: What does 'Discover University' exactly mean?

I was thinking it means like discovering who you really are in life and what you want for yourself through university. Either that or they ran out of titles and didn't want to go with university living lol
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    mika wrote: »

It would be nice if they allowed us to build our universities and choose their available classes & etc similar to the way we build restaraunts

That's like saying McDonald's is too Americanized. If it began in a different area such as Europe I could see a more Europian influence on the game. But it began in America with American ingenuity, and spread across the globe. It would be like seeing Anime cartoons and games with Japanese culture and graphic designs and say they are too Asian and need to change. Or saying the game cricket (does anyone still play) should have goal posts and nets like the European game of soccer or American football. It would be like (to me) saying a game about the north pole in the heart of nothing but ice and snow should have sun lounging chairs and sun umbrellas. That might break immersion for some.
  • KatieSimKatieSim Posts: 71 Member
    I'm really glad I read this and had my expectations for non rabbit hole gameplay shattered before I watched the trailer :D I feel like this post is spot on haha
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    mika wrote: »

That's like saying McDonald's is too Americanized.
    McDonald's has different menus in different countries :) for example, there are a lot of vegetarian food in India and no beef.
    However, I think Sims 4 is quite diverse at this point, we're getting different worlds and styles, and Britechester gives me some strong British vibes (except for toilet stalls, of course 😁)