Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was it that much harder to be a witch in TS3 supernatural?

I'm genuinely wondering - I see RoM getting a lot of hate for being too easy.

I think I must be kinda bad at this game cause it took me a good 20ish hours to get one single sim to the top of practical magic (she only misses one spell, but she does know the final one). She hasn't maxed out anything else and knows only 5 potions so far.

Was it really that much harder to level up as a witch in TS3 Supernatural? I love Supernatural so much, I thought it was an amazing EP, and it was sooo full of content. So I'm not asking to compare EP Supernatural to GP RoM, I'm ONLY asking about witches vs. spellcasters. I don't find leveling up in spellcasting to be as ridiculously easy as everyone else?

Sure I don't copypasto ingredients or potions, I guess, my sims do have to make all the potions and find the right ingredients themselves. I have tried to copypasto a bunch of crystals to pay the bills but my sim overcharged in the process and still came up 1000 short.

So I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that thinks these witches are actually a lot better than TS3 ones, despite really really loving TS3 witches?? I just don't see how they were that much more challenging - except for the fact that dueling for me is always super buggy in 3 and doesn't seem to work half of the time even when it should.

Curious to know what you guys think!

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited September 2019
    I had a lot of fun with the witches in Sims 3, but I also used quite a few different occult mods that made them even more powerful and fun to play with. But taking the mods out of the picture, I like the witches err I mean spell caster much better in Sims 4.
  • BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    The alchemy in ROM is imbalanced. There is the 1st level potion that immediately satisfies all sim's needs. And all you need is a simple apple from a local store! In TS3 there was the potion that partly satisfied energy bar and froze it for several hours. It was easy to make but anyways you had to grow Wolfsbane Flower in your garden to produce it. The more potent energy potion required a higher level of alchemy and rare ingredients.

And there was no CopyPasto spell so you had to grow all the plants in your garden and constantly hunt for rare ingredients. And your sim had to be a high-level witch to satisfy all his needs with magic.

Of course, if you used baby dragons from the Store, life could be much easier :wink: But the Store objects were imbalanced by default.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I love the spellcasters, they are a lot of fun and I really enjoy them a lot.

Just wish I didn’t lvl up so quickly in magic. Wish I could just lock it at adept if I wanted to.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member

Just wish I didn’t lvl up so quickly in magic. Wish I could just lock it at adept if I wanted to.

I guess I must be doing it the hard way because it took like forever for my spell caster to level up.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »

I guess I must be doing it the hard way because it took like forever for my spell caster to level up.

Yeah same here, and I'm not purposefully making it difficult either. Plus I keep forgetting to check my sim's charge, so she overcharged twice already in not much time apart, and I feel the next time I forget to check this, she might die .. so :D

@Brinn I kinda agree with the apple thing I guess, but maybe I'm just not that bothered by it cause I use the "fulfill needs household" cheat all the time, so it feels less cheaty to have them drink a potion xD And honestly, if you forgot to harvest some apples before winter, and don't have your sims go to the city (which doesn't fit these guys here), and there's nothing to harvest in the realm, it can still take quite a while before you end up with an apple again. I also agree about the copypasto thing, but again, I feel I can't spam it either because that is how my sim overcharged the first time xD

SimTrippy wrote: »

Yeah same here, and I'm not purposefully making it difficult either. Plus I keep forgetting to check my sim's charge, so she overcharged twice already in not much time apart, and I feel the next time I forget to check this, she might die .. so :D

@Brinn I kinda agree with the apple thing I guess, but maybe I'm just not that bothered by it cause I use the "fulfill needs household" cheat all the time, so it feels less cheaty to have them drink a potion xD And honestly, if you forgot to harvest some apples before winter, and don't have your sims go to the city (which doesn't fit these guys here), and there's nothing to harvest in the realm, it can still take quite a while before you end up with an apple again. I also agree about the copypasto thing, but again, I feel I can't spam it either because that is how my sim overcharged the first time xD

You can simply buy any number of apples using a cell phone... They are also sold in ROM shops. And there is CopyPasto spell, you don't even need to grow apples.
    Brinn wrote: »

You can simply buy any number of apples using a cell phone... They are also sold in ROM shops. And there is CopyPasto spell, you don't even need to grow apples.

They're not always available in the RoM shop though are they? And I never really buy anything with the phone :joy: so yeah you're right, I totally forgot about that. But again, I don't really use copypasto for harvestables. Everything my sims use needs to be either grown or bought from shops. I limit the use copypasto to when it's absolutely necessary, as I do get how that one is a bit cheaty. Maybe it would've been enough if they hadn't included it.
    In the Sims games, the most challengable thing for me is to reach some goals (like maxing a career, or completing an aspiration, or exploring something, or building relationships) while doing sim's everyday activities and fulfilling their needs. Of course, it takes much more time than just training for 24 hours, for example, using cheats to keep the sim nice and clean. But in the ROM magic system, there is such a cheat, and it's completely legal. It kills all the challenge of the sim's everyday routine. The club system from Get Together has the same "cheat", btw (at least it's easy to avoid the club perk). But if my sim is learning spellcasting and alchemy, all the powerful spells are welcome, I can't just ignore a "cheaty" potion. Besides, I'd like to have a potion (like the one in TS3) that helps me satisfy my sim's needs, I'd just want it to be less powerful and harder to create.
    I'm not against the ability to fulfill all the need bars immediately, but I'd like it to be a reward for a really hard-to-complete achievement (like writing the Books of Life), and not for becoming a level 1 spellcaster.
    In the Sims games, the most challengable thing for me is to reach some goals (like maxing a career, or completing an aspiration, or exploring something, or building relationships) while doing sim's everyday activities and fulfilling their needs. Of course, it takes much more time than just training for 24 hours, for example, using cheats to keep the sim nice and clean. But in the ROM magic system, there is such a cheat, and it's completely legal. It kills all the challenge of the sim's everyday routine. The club system from Get Together has the same "cheat", btw (at least it's easy to avoid the club perk). But if my sim is learning spellcasting and alchemy, all the powerful spells are welcome, I can't just ignore a "cheaty" potion. Besides, I'd like to have a potion (like the one in TS3) that helps me satisfy my sim's needs, I'd just want it to be less powerful and harder to create.
    I'm not against the ability to fulfill all the need bars immediately, but I'd like it to be a reward for a really hard-to-complete achievement (like writing the Books of Life), and not for becoming a level 1 spellcaster.

Yes I totally see where you're coming from. Seems like the best thing they could do is give us the potion early on - but change the ingredients from one apple to, say, one apple and a certain rare kind of frog / plant / crystal. Something we can't buy everywhere.

I have to admit though that I'm glad it's not herbalism difficult - because I hate herbalism. It's such a neat skill, but having to go to GF and hoping to find whatever berry or frog I need has always annoyed me so much, I wouldn't ever do it. I wonder if that has something to do with the ingredients being somewhat "easy" to find and not limited to the realm, because I'm not the only one who has given that kind of feedback.

But still, I wouldn't mind them upping the requirements for that potion, or making our magical charge soar even quicker for spells like Copypasto, to really make spamming them useless as a tactic.
  • SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2019
    The Sims has never been a hard game. It's just people who are determined to talk bad on sims 4. But it's not overly easy either.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

Simmify wrote: »
    The Sims has never been a hard game. It's just people who are determined to talk bad on sims 4. But it's not overly easy either.

Nobody talks bad on Sims 4 here. And nobody states that it must be a hard game. I'm just saying that alchemy in ROM is imbalanced comparing to TS3: Supernatural.

Yes I totally see where you're coming from. Seems like the best thing they could do is give us the potion early on - but change the ingredients from one apple to, say, one apple and a certain rare kind of frog / plant / crystal. Something we can't buy everywhere.

I have to admit though that I'm glad it's not herbalism difficult - because I hate herbalism. It's such a neat skill, but having to go to GF and hoping to find whatever berry or frog I need has always annoyed me so much, I wouldn't ever do it. I wonder if that has something to do with the ingredients being somewhat "easy" to find and not limited to the realm, because I'm not the only one who has given that kind of feedback.

But still, I wouldn't mind them upping the requirements for that potion, or making our magical charge soar even quicker for spells like Copypasto, to really make spamming them useless as a tactic.

Yeah, the problem of herbalism is that almost every potion needs rare ingredients (bugs) that can be found only in GF. It would be OK if such insects were spread all over the world or if only the most potent herbalism potions required them... But now, if you are playing as a spellcaster-herbalist, the problem is solved: find an ingredient just once and CopyPasto it :smile:
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    It was easy to be a witch in Supernatural, It was harder to be anything other than a witch tho, Sorcerer, I just found it hard to go about magic the way I wanted. Realm of Magic it's a little better because there is more room for customization. Granted, I'm still encountering a couple of the same issues in terms of going about magic in my own manner, but the obstacles I'm facing now... I realize don't have to go through the same extreme lengths in the Realm of Magic, than I did in Supernatural. So I guess that's progress.

However, I still wish the Realm of Magic had some more challenging aspects, like yeah collecting tomes and learning magic without going to the Realm of Magic is hard, but I love it. I even came up with ways to collect tomes, while still having mystery and adventure.

But I wish they didn't just hand us broom sticks ready to fly, I wish they just gave us common brooms to clean with or we could craft them on a woodworking bench, and we had to use our magic to make them fly.

So yeah I think Spell Casters are far better than Witches.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    edited September 2019
    @Simmify I don't think 3 is either, and 2 was okay. TS 1 though, now that one really was hard xD I guess with the sims not being able to age, the next best thing was to make it really easy to die from just about anything else? :joy:

@Brinn yeah see for that I actually love the spell, cause I might finally have at least one sim who skills up in herbalism. And that would be a first :sweat_smile:

@MasonGamer that's how I remember 3 too when it comes to witch stuff. I mean I have a feeling that now in 4 I can customize quite a bit. And the way I'm intending to do it isn't exactly quick. I want my current sim to collect all the tomes and, now that she's good with Practical magic, to also max out the potion skill. Because I'd like for her to start a magical school. And with the 3 different "schools" of magic, I think it would be cool to have 4 areas - one for each school & one general area for potion class, duels & eating. I would just need to find a mod that would allow me to store books in one bookshelf without automatically storing them in all bookshelves, cause then I could put the tomes only in the areas they belong in.

I just don't know how I would do that in TS3 Supernatural. I loved those witches, but I just think Spellcasters offer a lot of improvements that really set them apart from the witches we had before. Which is why I'm a little baffled by all the "magic is too easy and boring and grindy" comments, cause magic has always been grindy and easy, and not even very customizable.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I think those who power through spellcasting just have a different play style than I do.

My spellcaster is not yet powerful enough to do copypasto.

I can't just power through ignoring my Sim's needs, leaving her school and homework neglected, etc. I am playing an teen witch living on her own in a borrowed cottage. She still has to go to school, make money to pay the bills, etc. So progressing in spells and potions is taking a while. She only has a couple of evening hours. Plus I think the consequences of overcharge makes a difference. If you burn up the painting you needed to sell, you actually lose money.

I wouldn't mind if it were a little more difficult, but that is because I am enjoying playing my spellcaster and don't want it to be over too soon. I would like her to also learn herbalism, but she has to first earn money to take a vacation. I do wish those insects were in all the worlds. Right now I am using a mod that eliminates them and adds other ingredients instead. I hope someone will mod the cauldron so herbal potions can be made there. That would be so fun!

I also am having her work on wellness since that seems to fit in well.

For some reason, the potion to fill needs was not the first one I got. And she is growing her own apples. 😀
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited September 2019
    idk i also hated how they did witches in ts3 it felt very half baked to me so i wished ts4 would be better

but the problem with ts4 is that there is no complexity in general (not just this pack)
    so now that they added spells to make stuff even easier its sort of like eh? i dont really want to?

like as a concept great but I really wish there was something to inspire the "i wish this was easier" in first place

and on other hand i was always more interested in ruining my sims lives than making them easy and nice :joy: so i just dont feel it got enough of that
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Greenb70Greenb70 Posts: 1,871 Member
    I think it all boils down to how you play the game.I don't just push through to finish because if I did I would definitely get bored.I have different saves with different sims working towards different game goals.It took me 2 days just to find lots and witches on the gallery that I wanted to add to the save that I plan on using for witches.I also usually start with brand new sims that means no skills,no inventory stuff and very little money.At this point my sims haven't even leveled up yet.

As an example of how slow I take it I have yet to complete the Strangerville story line.
  • JohnVanGouldJohnVanGould Posts: 124 Member
    I don't think The Sims is supposed to be a challenging game. It's more about story-telling and the social experiences and situations you get to simulate while you play. I personally hated that witches took so long to level up in The Sims 3 - so much that I only played one and was too lazy to level up my other witches.

Besides, I didn't see this many complaints about vampires, since they have even more powerful skills, which not only fill up your needs, but permanently keep their bar from decreasing (except for the thirst bar).

However, I agree that the potion to fill up your needs should be either a higher level potion or harder to brew (rarer ingredients, higher failure rate, etc.). Not because of what it does, but because I find it incoherent that such a powerful potion is easier to make than say an instant-friendship potion.
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I’ve been playing 1 sim for several hours and she only has 4 spells learned and 3 potions. That’s with her being a freelancer and toiling away.

Also, I do think the fill needs potion should’ve probably been second level because oof. It packs a punch. Of course I say this but there are some balanced elements as my spellcaster has 2 curses on them now and I have yet to learn the cure or find it in the shop. The potions take a good chunk of time to brew too.

I feel like a lot of people are doing the same thing that was a problem with Strangerville which was ‘just focus solely on that content and nothing else’ which. I get. But my sim also has a career and relationships to build.

Idk I also just flat out don’t remember a lot of what the ts3 witches did so there is that. Already RoM spellcasters are a lot more memorable.
    Post edited by RobinGreenthumb on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    In some ways I can see why people are saying it's "easy", but I also think it doesn't have to be played that way at all. And play style is definitely going to make a difference. For the people who like to play small households or single Sims and are only pursuing magic with one Spellcaster, no pets, no children, no roommates, no other family, etc, ... I could see advancement feeling like it goes a little too fast. Also, for people who have a lot of play time in the day and can get many hours in, they might be more likely to get farther, faster.

However, in my own experience, I've played about eight hours total, with a household that has a Witch I made a long time ago, her teen Witch daughter, their cat, and a Vampire toddler, fathered by Caleb (who is a total stalker and won't stop bugging my Witch and asking her to go places. Like, several times a day! It's like, okay Edward Cullen, just step back and relax, I'll call you. :D ) It's been almost a Sim week and my Witch has, I think, three potion recipes, three spells and two tomes in her inventory plus a bunch of harvested random ingredients. Her cat is her Familiar (but he won't sparkle! *cry* ...maybe ol' Edward/Caleb will sparkle instead). The teen I think knows one spell, two potions, has a dueling curse, and no Familiar yet because I want her to find or earn one, not "buy" it, and see what creature comes to her. Also, their house has caught fire twice because they have about eight fireplaces in it (and the Witch saved her cat but left her son stranded upstairs, yikes!), the teen is barely making it to school most of the time and has left early to go do magic stuff, and the toddler is so neglected I finally gave him a birthday to age him up to a child because the Witch is such a bad mother, lol. He's now a gloomy Vampire child. <3 And all of this has been done with me actually cheating needs up so they don't have to sleep (even though they've been passing out in the magic realm sometimes because I forget and won't take them home, haha.) And, my Witch doesn't even have a day job and if she did, I'd have gotten nowhere at this point. Oh, they also got caught in a blizzard while harvesting in Glimmerbrook so they autonomously flew to the bar to get indoors and spent Winterfest in the pub with other Spellcasters while the toddler was stuck in daycare for the holiday. (See? Worst mother ever. But who's really going to ride home on a broom in a blizzard? They were miserable just making snow pals.) I also play rotationally, so this is only one of about five or six households that are going to have different levels of Spellcasters in them. It's definitely going to take me a while.

So although I can comprehend the simplicity of the system, I can't really understand blasting through the actual gameplay. I don't disrupt my regular stories to conquer new DLC. I continue to play the game as I always do. With cheats. (Lol)

#Team Occult
    edited September 2019
    @LiELF lol :joy: poor toddler - being neglected, less save-worthy than the family cat, and forced to spend all winterfest in daycare doesn't exactly earn his mom mother of the year award, no xD Compare this to the Caster's toddler, who's been spending Winterfest with her family and the family of her brother's girlfriend cozily tucked away in Granite Falls, eating and singing together, watching friendly duels and getting spoiled with lovely gifts :joy:

Sorry, going off my own topic, but you gave me such a good laugh :D
    IgL1Vj3.jpg

And yeah I agree with the first part: sure, the system allows you to make leveling up really easy, but it doesn't mean you have to play that way. Truth be told ... I didn't even think about using copypasto on ingredients or potions until someone mentioned it. Which I know makes me look a little dense, but hey, I guess I'll have to wear that badge proudly *uch*
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    @LiELF lol :joy: poor toddler - being neglected, less save-worthy than the family cat, and forced to spend all winterfest in daycare doesn't exactly earn his mom mother of the year award, no xD Compare this to the Caster's toddler, who's been spending Winterfest with her family and the family of her brother's girlfriend cozily tucked away in Granite Falls, eating and singing together, watching friendly duels and getting spoiled with lovely gifts :joy:

Sorry, going off my own topic, but you gave me such a good laugh :D
    IgL1Vj3.jpg

And yeah I agree with the first part: sure, the system allows you to make leveling up really easy, but it doesn't mean you have to play that way. Truth be told ... I didn't even think about using copypasto on ingredients or potions until someone mentioned it. Which I know makes me look a little dense, but hey, I guess I'll have to wear that badge proudly *uch*

Aww, see? That's how a family should be. I wonder what that's like? :D

I didn't even mention how the first cooked meal the Witch autonomously fed to her Vampire toddler was...get this... garlic noodles. I'm convinced she's trying to destroy him. Maybe she's one of those child-eating Witches, like in Hansel and Gretel. She doesn't even have the Evil or Mean trait! I think there's going to be a lot of drama when he grows up.

Here's the "mother of the year" with her beloved cat, Voodoo, standing outside while her teenager puts out the fire and saves her trapped toddler. This was before the cat was even her Familiar. I was going to originally make Voodoo the teen's Familiar but...this changed my mind, lol.

kB24GtJ.png

Anyway, sorry for off topic. I'm just so pleased with this unexpected twisted tale that I didn't even instigate. Magic doesn't have to be difficult with Sims like this. :p
    #Team Occult
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I think so, personally. I have both TS3 and TS4 installed on my computer, and I hate how in TS3, you can't see what level they're or what each level means.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    edited September 2019
    The potion that restores the needs using a single apple shouldn't exist. Also, we shouldn't get 4 potions each time. Besides that, I don't think things are much easier than they were in sims 3.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    The potion that restores the needs using a single apple shouldn't exist. Also, we shouldn't get 4 potions each time. Besides that, I don't think think things are much easier than they were in sims 3.

I believe the 4 potions a batch was to mitigate everyone being annoyed at having to constantly gather ingredients to farm potions
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players