Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 keeps freezing in Create-A-Sim

Whenever I try to change my sims clothes in Create-A-Sim, it'll work fine for about a minute and then black out. Then, the game will return to normal for a few seconds before blacking out again. Then either the computer shuts down, the game exits with the message 'Sims 3 stopped working', or it'll stay frozen on black until I turn off my computer. I don't know why and I don't know how to fix it. It happens on all my families.
(I have Pets, Seasons, Generations, Island Paradise, Supernatural, Late Night, Ambitions and World Adventures installed if that has anything to do with it)
It would be awesome if someone knew how to stop this. And its only in Create-A-Sim mode.
(And when I say Create-A-Sim, I don't mean the one where you customize their facial features and name and hair and traits etc, but the mode you enter when you choose 'plan outfit' when you click on a closet/dresser)

**UPDATE**
It happens occasionally in-game too now

Comments

• Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited April 2014
    Sounds like a RAM or graphic issue. Did the issue arrive after you installed an EP or changed anything or was it just sudden?
  • Options
    Makayla_MakaPakaMakayla_MakaPaka Posts: 771 Member
    edited April 2014
    Well it's hard to say exactly when it started. I recently installed some custom content and a story progression mod. It was fine. Then I installed Supernatural. It was fine then, too, but then I think it might have been a few days later that it started happening. No more than a week later, I'd say.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Could be that Supernatural was too much for it. Is this in 1 save or all of your saves?

Try starting a whole new town and see if it still blacks out.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Since installing Supernatural, I've entered Create-A-Sim mode in two saves - one in Isla Paradiso, created before Supernatural was installed, and my new save, which I created after Supernatural, in the Supernatural town (Midnight Falls? Is that what it's called?).
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I believe so.

Do you have any custom clothing? Or clothing from the store?
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited April 2014
    You might have some corruption in your Sims 3 folder or your computer might not meet minimum requirements and be slowly dying from being pushed too hard. This would especially apply if you have an integrated graphics card.

You could experiment by renaming your Sims 3 folder and then start a new game. Your installed content and old saves will be missing as they are in your Sims 3 folder that you renamed so don't lose it. When you have the empty game open try doing whatever you do to make it crash.

If if still crashes you probably have a computer that is damaged or unable to play the game now.

You could also post your dxdiag here so someone can look and see if it is your computer that is the problem,my.

EDIT: Here's info on posting a dxdiag
    https://help.ea.com/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

And some other info.

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Crashing_Checklist

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    First off: yes, I have quite a bit of custom clothing. Not a heap, exactly. One thing I've noticed is that when clothing toddlers and children, it doesn't happen, just when clothing teens and adults (I haven't clothed any elders yet, so I wouldn't know what happens for them). The only reason I can think to explain this is that toddlers and children don't have very many clothing options compared to teens and adults who have heaps.

Next, I'm not much of a techie. I've been on websites such as the ones you mentioned, and I don't understand very much of what they're trying to tell me. I don't know what graphics cards or dxdiags are, for example. Renaming Sims folder.... don't get it. Sorry.