Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feedback on having to be online regularly for Sims 4.

ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
edited April 2023 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Every so often I get the message that my sign in info has expired. Both Origin and EA App has this feature.

I am not trying to be negative but wanted to express how frustrating this regular need to be online is. There’s obviously a way for the app to detect how long a player is offline and trigger the sign in requirement. I don’t get why this is necessary.

Surely players selecting offline, want to play offline. Why is there a timer? Sure you can’t get new stuff etc until you do sign in but that should be the player’s choice.

I prefer staying offline as you can’t decline specific updates or free add ons.

If I log in, will I be able to select offline status and avoid the new infant update for Sims 4? Is that possible? 🙏

(Also EA App means I can’t play Sims 3 until I sign in, which I didn’t have to do via Origin).

I’ll recheck settings maybe I missed something? 🙄🤷🏼‍♂️.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I think they changed something with the EA application because it doesn't seem to download automatically like Origin did. It notified me that there are updates and I had to click update. Same with the new pack, it didn't download automatically, I had to click download.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Thanks for replying 😊.

It’s just so bizarre to have to regularly go online to stay offline. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The app states I must go online to verify. I’ve restarted the app, my computer and the request remains. I will log in online and try to go offline. 🤞
  • JohnnyFelixBearJohnnyFelixBear Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm having issue with the app :(
  • MadameHardyMadameHardy Posts: 6 New Member
    The thing I notice most often is that when the app loses internet connection -- like when my laptop sleeps -- it has to be rebooted. It's 2022; every other Internet-facing program I use simply offers a "reconnect" button, or detects the connection's return all by itself.

Is there a reason that the EA client has to reboot?
  • MadameHardyMadameHardy Posts: 6 New Member
    It's 2023. Sigh.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Maybe this is so they can prepare people to get acclimated to this practice because Project Rene will be forced online.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Maybe this is so they can prepare people to get acclimated to this practice because Project Rene will be forced online.

I think so.

I must log in every time I want to play now. So playing offline is only possible by going online. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️🙄.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Wednesday, when attempting to play game I got the notification, 'You have been offline too long." Then came the stuff about going online, proving I am me, and other app nonsense. Game hasn't launched since, the app insisting I be online.

No maybe about it. Pavlov would be pleased.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I occationally switch the option to offline if EA is acting up. I did it in Origin back in the day. Otherwise, I usually forget about that option. ;)
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Does anyone know if there's a way to reinstall the Origin app and play the game offline permanently until such a time we can choose to install updates or buy new packs?

I'm curious to see if I can get rid of the EA app altogether and revert back to Origin until such a time that the EA app works and functions the way it's supposed to. I absolutely refuse to allow EA full control of when/how I play my game. I didn't spend all this money only to turn around and hand over full control to some overpaid boardroom schmuck wearing a pinstripe suit 8000 miles away.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Branwen84Branwen84 Posts: 40 Member
    > @AncientMuse said:
    > The fact that we can no longer start and play our $1200 video game when we have no internet connection.... is what angers me to no end.
    >
    > Not everyone lives in a big metropolitan city that never sees a drop in internet connections. Many of us live in rural areas and/or countries that
    >don't always have stable internet connectivity. What happened to every sims player getting full representation with the ability to play their very
    >expensive video game, any time all the time, no matter the situation, no matter their demographic?
    >

There hasn't been any such ability since Sims2, or at least there wasn't supposed to be. Origin also "called home" regularly.

> Expecting all game players to have full internet connection at all times so they can start up and play their game whenever they want with no
    >connectivity problems? Needing an internet connection to be able to go into the EA app to tell it to go offline? Not only is that completely and
    >utterly unrealistic... it's also selfishly myopic on EA's part.
    >
    > I've been playing The Sims for 23 years and this is the first time I've encountered a situation where I couldn't start up my game until my
    >satellite internet connection came back online.... just so I could tell the EA app to play offline in case my internet went down again that day
    >(snowstorm). Am I and others going to be denied access to our $1200 game when the weather is nasty outside?
    >
    > The words that came flying out of my mouth that day when I discovered I can't start up my game when I lose internet connection.... well, let's
    >just say it would've made a sailor blush.
    >
    > I prefer to play my game online (mainly so I can access the gallery), so I have it set to be online all the time by default, BUT there are times
    >when that's just not feasible. We shouldn't be punished for those times when we can't. So either give us back the less problematic Origin app
    >(which allowed us to start up our Sims game without an internet connection), or fix this fatally flawed EA Play app once and for all.
    >
    > Enough already.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, we don't have any legal recourse. We can't force them to let us (legally) play offline. The only way to play truly offline is to crack the game(which I don't recommend, of course).
    Making your grievance known on social media might be slightly more effective than posting it here, but i expect it ultimately still won't have any real effect.
    A complaint filed with the Federal Trade Commission? (or whatever agency oversees such things) If you live in the Unitwitted States, a letter to your congressperson or senator? No guarantees anything would happen, but very long shots are better than no shots.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited April 2023
    Wednesday, when attempting to play game I got the notification, 'You have been offline too long." Then came the stuff about going online, proving I am me, and other app nonsense. Game hasn't launched since, the app insisting I be online.

Providing that there has been no change since I last opened TS4: if your game is already open, ignore the prodding, the game will continue to function, regardless. If your game is closed, sign in, go offline, then boot up the game as usual.

I recently mentioned the constant nagging during a survey for the EA app. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I got to the survey. If I remember, I'll leave a link. The more people who let EA know that we don't want to be online all the time, the better.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited May 2023
    With help from knowledgeable folks and a fortunate guess to klick on a tiny blue button, have found a way to launch the game, though every try has a 'will it work this time?' anxiety. Whoever designed that front page must have experience in camouflage for the army. The buttons for going offline and starting the game are hard to see, at least for me.

After about 2 to 3 hours, the app itself crashes and burns. But so far, the game survives and runs just fine until it's time to turn it off. This says that the app itself is unstable and is unnecessary for the game to run.

I read a while ago that the app is Beta. If that is still the case, it has no business being the sole means of launching games. That is a job for finished, properly tested and proven reliable software, not something still under development.

I like your survey idea. Different players have different ways of playing the game and should be able to do so without the hassles and aggravation they are currently experiencing.
  • Simmer3550Simmer3550 Posts: 28 Member
    I don't like having to be online. I miss the days of putting in a disc and playing the game without an app telling you that you're not online or that you don't own the content you're trying to play.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    edited May 2023
    It's funny, I've never had a problem with running the game offline. :/
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,914 Member
    It's funny, I've never had a problem with running the game offline. :/

I can too, but, to do it I need to log in online to App to turn it offline.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    My internet went out the other day. It doesn’t happen often, and rarely for more than a few hours, but it happens. It’s incredibly frustrating that the app logs out as soon as I lose my connection. I had to restart my game due to some really bad lagging issues, and wasn’t able to boot it back up until Spectrum got it together so I could log back in. Origin wouldn’t auto logout, so even when my internet went offline, I could still boot the game.

Looks like I’ll just have to keep my computer hibernating during hurricane season with the game running in the bg because power has to be restored before they can reconnect the internet.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited May 2023
    I wanted to provide the link to the survey regarding the EA app. I don't remember what I was doing that triggered it and now, I'm unable to find it. Apologies. :/

Regardless of the survey, so many people have complained about the app. Yet, no one seems to be listening.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member

If Project Rene is going to be forced online,then I'd rather play Paralives and Life By You.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Games shouldn't always depend on online only. There should always be an offline option, automatically if the net isn't working properly. I have other games that are on Steam that I can still play offline, it just tells me that I'm offline.
    EA App needs to make offline more automatic so that if it's temporary not working, simmers & other gamers that use EA App will still be able to play the game. Also, they need to be more nicer to their customers & not take away their game if they haven't been playing it for awhile. Gamers have payed from their own money for their games & add-ons & deserver a Customer Loyalty Respect.
  • FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 507 Member
    I’m on a Mac so still using Origin - and I’m so thankful for that because this not being able to access the game without going online worries me. I live in a rural part of the UK and our internet isn’t always reliable, so I really appreciate being able to log into Origin without needing to be online. I’m hoping they fix this in the EA app before we Mac users are forced over to it. And the same goes for Project Rene - if we need to be online to access/play that, then that might rule me out.
  • vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    I never played online unless I was buying a add on to the game. I've been play Sims since Sims 1. I have 1, 2,,3 and 4 and have most of every thing related too those packs. I do not like being forced to be online. MY Computers IP address should be recognized when I sign in. They need to get it together. This makes no since. Other apps ask is this a personal computer or public. If yhe internet goes down during a storm, but I lights I'm out of luck. That has happened to me. The internet was down 2 days. They need to do something. Some people have limited Wi-Fi. I don't. But what about those that do. I think I've babbled enough. HAPPY SIMMING 😊