Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    The more I read about what LBY is going to be, the more excited I get. I just really hope the visuals get some much needed polishing (which they plan on) before early release starts.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    The excitement is really building for me as well! B)
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I'm not convinced by the topics ...

0j1hbden8fmq.jpg
    rut71ofxnrqt.jpg
    15wxciqpykjz.jpg
    bkgl7cuczckc.jpg

It looks like there are variable probabilities of each response, which is interesting. I wonder if it's random chance, or if it can be set based on the traits/personality each human/character has? Or if these are the players response options and the probability they will be accepted?
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 2023
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I'm not convinced by the topics ...

0j1hbden8fmq.jpg
    rut71ofxnrqt.jpg
    15wxciqpykjz.jpg
    bkgl7cuczckc.jpg

It looks like there are variable probabilities of each response, which is interesting. I wonder if it's random chance, or if it can be set based on the traits/personality each human/character has? Or if these are the players response options and the probability they will be accepted?

It seems the personality, mood or relationship doesn't matter in the response, the NPC will probably pick one randomly.
    YES is possible at a certain percentage but there are 2 YES responses, we don't know yet what parameter will pick one.

The Conversation system must be as simple as possible to make easier/faster the mod creation.

In the preview, the player choose a question and the NPC answer :

mqgoduuxreq3.jpg
    s3tj5nznnt5s.jpg
    0xbby2ob4oc8.jpg
    hfvjgzht2e7y.jpg
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    I interpreted this differently. It's my hypothesis that the tag column on the left (_UpdateRelationships, befriend, etc.) are chosen contextually based on the personalities and the characters' "observables." For example, a character might approach you flirtatiously and enter the flirtation dialogue option if they have a romantic observable of your character. The player can then select what type of response to give.

The yes/no/neutral percentages is the part I don't understand.

y4ce1ucfo1qu.jpg
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    It's my hypothesis that the tag column on the left (_UpdateRelationships, befriend, etc.) are chosen contextually based on the personalities and the characters' "observables."

In the preview they create "caual_conversation" without setting a context. there is no parameter.

30y0dsevappk.jpg

Just "befriend" is an entry of "ChatHub" menu, it's similar to the "Friendly" pie menu in The Sims 4.

7s834ryeg18f.jpg

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    When I think about the Friendly pie menu in TS4 and all its entries, the conversation menu could get hundreds of entries.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    LBY has exactly what im looking for. Will throw my support towards them. Very excited.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I caved. I preordered...

I know it's almost never, ever a good idea to put money on a game before it's even out. But I won't lie about the not-so-insignificant component of spite involved in my decision. There's an unacceptable level of bugs and glitches in The Sims 4. And the game does not appear to be made by folks who have a passion for detail, especially of late.

The Sims 4 is in hospice care, and I won't be attending the funeral.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Well you're not alone. 😄 I've seen comments on social media from people who seem to be wanting to stick it to EA. Gleefully anticipating the end of The Sims. I think they're going to be disappointed.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    After SimCity (2013), Mass Effect Andromeda and Cyberpunk 2077, I learnt this lesson : Never preorder a game, wait for the reviews/sales.
    So many games are broken when they are released. Usually it takes several years to fix them.

This early access means the game will be broken and its goal is to fix the issues before the big launch.
    In fact the players pay to be the quality assurance testers.

It's positive for the final version in term of quality but it could be risky in term of reception, the players will judge an early access version instead of the final product.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member
    I caved. I preordered...

I know it's almost never, ever a good idea to put money on a game before it's even out. But I won't lie about the not-so-insignificant component of spite involved in my decision. There's an unacceptable level of bugs and glitches in The Sims 4. And the game does not appear to be made by folks who have a passion for detail, especially of late.

The Sims 4 is in hospice care, and I won't be attending the funeral.

Next month I am pre ordering, this seems like a good investment.
  • Options
    After SimCity (2013), Mass Effect Andromeda and Cyberpunk 2077, I learnt this lesson : Never preorder a game, wait for the reviews/sales.
    So many games are broken when they are released. Usually it takes several years to fix them.

This early access means the game will be broken and its goal is to fix the issues before the big launch.
    In fact the players pay to be the quality assurance testers.

It's positive for the final version in term of quality but it could be risky in term of reception, the players will judge an early access version instead of the final product.

I know that. I'm excited to be a "tester" for LBY. A game which has a lot of the things 4 has been missing and what a lot of us simmers have been asking for for a long time. It's great to feel like somebody has been listening, even if it's not EA. B)
  • Options
    Well you're not alone. 😄 I've seen comments on social media from people who seem to be wanting to stick it to EA. Gleefully anticipating the end of The Sims. I think they're going to be disappointed.

I don't want the end of the sims.I just want more options, and ea gets it's act together.I want the sims improve and seeing that hey players like this.
  • Options

I don't want the end of the sims.I just want more options, and ea gets it's act together.I want the sims improve and seeing that hey players like this.

My feelings exactly. I'm feeling particularly hopeful and excited that we're going to get an awesome Sims 5. Due in part to LBY.
  • Options

My feelings exactly. I'm feeling particularly hopeful and excited that we're going to get an awesome Sims 5. Due in part to LBY.

This how I feel.I am grateful we have competition.The problems with the sims they had none.Now they see others are coming, and might prompt other publisher new ones.They will probably have extreme effort and passion.To make a great Sims 5.
  • Options

This how I feel.I am grateful we have competition.The problems with the sims they had none.Now they see others are coming, and might prompt other publisher new ones.They will probably have extreme effort and passion.To make a great Sims 5.

I'd love to believe that, but history has shown that EA is more interested in making the quick and easy buck. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Options

I'd love to believe that, but history has shown that EA is more interested in making the quick and easy buck. Hope I'm wrong.

The thing is they can't anymore.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2023

I don't want the end of the Sims Franchise. I want it better. But for me, Sims 4 is unplayable and unenjoyable. It's dead to me...not because of these competitor games but due to EA executives' corporate strategy. I've moved on since Discover University (2019).
  • Options
    I moved on sometime after pets. Been so long now, I can't remember exactly when I did. :(
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,834 Member
    I'm properly excited for Life By You. I'm not someone who goes out searching for news about games so I only learned of its existence today. So far I thought EA's only competition was Dreamlight Valley and Paralives. Dreamlight Valley looks appealing but my two year old Mac doesn't have the right processor so I can't play it just yet and it's going to take some time to order a new custom spec'd machine. That only left Paralives to look forward to. They've already lost me unless they make enormous improvements to the looks of their sim, in particular the 'sims' themselves. It's 2023 guys, flat comic strip drawings won't get it done no matter how good the gameplay is. The fact that the lead on LBY is a former Sims alum is a further selling point. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of The Sims and hopefully how to improve on them.
  • Options
    @DaniRose2143 I believe it's only for PC right now. Not sure when they'll add compatibility for Macs.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,834 Member
    @simgirl1010 There's no rush here. Dreamlight Valley revealed that my Mac isn't going to run most new programs anyway since it doesn't have the Apple M1 processor. My bad for stubbornly sticking with Intel instead of doing proper research into the M1s. I'm hoping to trade this one in for a new gaming Mac sometime this summer. I've checked and I can get nearly half the cost of a new custom spec'd Mac back in trade-in value on this one. The delay is in having a new one built and shipped which is currently months.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I too don't want The Sims to die (and I don't think they will), I just want them to improve!

There are people who will 100% be loyal to them even if they continue getting nothing but a watered down-bare minimal product simply because they've been with them since the beginning. That's not fair to those players, that's taking advantage of them.

I do hope that LBY lights a fire under EA's bum-bum to allocate more resources to The Sims so that they can be a serious competitor of what other game devs are offering.

@LeGardePourpre The good thing about the Early Access is you buy it at a discount and when the final product is released you get the final copy at no additional cost. So for me, that's a win/win!

Not only do players get the chance to play the game for a year+, they get to be part of the bug testing, so that when the final product is released it will hopefully be almost virtually bug free.

I'm not pre-ordering (cause that's only on Epic Games and I don't have, nor want an account for that), but I will be buying it on Early Access when it comes out on Steam.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top