Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Really Enjoys the Smell of Paint?

One of my sims, who is an artist, has started expressing a very strange sort of behavior while painting. He will stop every now and then and make the same hand and vocal gestures sims do when they smell really good food, but toward the easel with half-finished work he's doing. The thought bubble which pops up above his head isn't food, it's the paint pallet.

This is something really funny I haven't seen before, despite having played numerous artist sims. This one isn't Erratic, an Art Lover, Perfectionist or Creative Visionary (yet.) He's not even in the painter career so far. Switching households to other sims with easels, none of the others do this, just him.

If paintings start mysteriously disappearing from the house walls, I'm going to suspect that this sim has developed a taste for fine art, in very much the wrong way..

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    I so love it when Sims do what they do best. Be silly!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EddieWhateverEddieWhatever Posts: 6 New Member
    I wonder if it's a bug or if that is actually intentional gameplay. Either way this is hilarious :D
  • GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    Unique experiences make the game more fun... and funny. :)
  • SteveBridgerSteveBridger Posts: 106 Member
    edited January 2023
    I wonder if it's a bug or if that is actually intentional gameplay. Either way this is hilarious :D

I've looked further into this, and even after hours of observing the artistic endeavors of other sims, none of the others do this. It's just this particular sim who expresses this very unusual fascination. At first I thought there might have been a half eaten plate of sandwiches or something hidden near the easel, but it would have long since become highly unappetizing and started provoking the "yuck" response instead.

The only possibility I've come up with is that it has something to do with the Childish trait the sim possesses, but I've never seen actual sim children thinking about eating their paints at the craft table, even though that's very much the sort of thing a child might think about.. He does still have conversations with Ted (his son's big stuffed bear) even though as a teenager his son has grown out of that. (Yes, I know Ted should have been put away when he aged up, but they're Good Friends and he's a bit sentimental.)
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Doesn't Bust the Dust kit make sims smell air...?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    musteni wrote: »

Yes they do and it's annoying on multilevel houses because they stop to smell the air every time they reach another floor. I had a sim do that smells nice animation once when she took out the trash, right by the garbage bin. I doubt it smelled that nice, but whatever. :lol:
    musteni wrote: »

I thought at first this might be the cause, but it's a completely different animation/vocalization, the same one they do when they smell food they like. The only difference being that the thought bubble which pops up is the paint pallet rather than food.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    What other traits does he have, besides Childish? Might be one of them that makes him do this animation
    Kathykins wrote: »
    What other traits does he have, besides Childish? Might be one of them that makes him do this animation

He's a relatively new sim, so only the most basic traits. Childish, Family-Oriented, Loyal, Mentor (purchased,) and Domestic (from the Super Parent aspiration.) He's essentially a stay-at-home dad, mom is a Secret Agent (unbeknownst to her family and friends.)
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Is he Inspired when he does this? Just tossing it out there :D I've not seen this particular animation as far as I recall. And I do play a lot of Creative sims. Almost all my sims paint.
    Kathykins wrote: »
    Is he Inspired when he does this? Just tossing it out there :D I've not seen this particular animation as far as I recall. And I do play a lot of Creative sims. Almost all my sims paint.

Many of mine do as well, especially since we got the ability to have them paint from reference. I would have to say that virtually all of my sims are skilled painters, photographers, or both. It's a lot more fun having them preserve interesting images and scenes themselves.

Thus far, I've seen him savor the smell of paint while happy, playful and inspired. He makes a lot of playful mood paintings.

I've never seen any of my other sims do this while painting either, which is why it struck me as very humorous when he started doing that. His son started painting occasionally when he reached his teens, and he doesn't do it.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    One of my sims, who is an artist, has started expressing a very strange sort of behavior while painting. He will stop every now and then and make the same hand and vocal gestures sims do when they smell really good food, but toward the easel with half-finished work he's doing. The thought bubble which pops up above his head isn't food, it's the paint pallet.

This is something really funny I haven't seen before, despite having played numerous artist sims. This one isn't Erratic, an Art Lover, Perfectionist or Creative Visionary (yet.) He's not even in the painter career so far. Switching households to other sims with easels, none of the others do this, just him.

If paintings start mysteriously disappearing from the house walls, I'm going to suspect that this sim has developed a taste for fine art, in very much the wrong way..

Spouse: Honey, what would you like for dinner tonight?
    Artist: Oh! A Van Gogh sounds great!!! Maybe a Picasso?
  • AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    Spouse: Honey, what would you like for dinner tonight?
    Artist: Oh! A Van Gogh sounds great!!! Maybe a Picasso?

My! Your sim has expensive tastes ;)
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member

@AlphaFFrog not my sim. 😆 That was @SteveBridger 's sim! Mine don't eat art. 😆