Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game repair?

2...Next

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    edited August 2022
    CrazyFrog wrote: »

EDIT
    Hitting Control+R if you have that screen with blank areas instead of games to click on may work. Alternatively the option is in the "Origin" menu, about halfway down the list. (Reload Page)

Control+R helped with the blank squares. For a short moment I thought everything would be all right. But unfortunately that didn't make the game playable. Going offline before booting up origin didn't work, going into offline mode after starting origin with Internet didn't work, a direct short cut to the game did not work either. :(
    Colorist40 wrote: »
    It's not working for me. Rebooted computer (which took forever to start).
    EA, why are you doing this to us, and why are you doing it without even a tiny warning?

I'm not patching my game, meaning I will not be allowed to play? It worked fine last night, today nothing?
    I don't want the App either, why would I need it when I prefer to play offline in order to avoid buggy patches? Why should I trust the App on day 1?

PS: Just realized it might be a good idea to backup my game before doing anything. Origin insists on repairing my game the next time I go online.

I sympathize with you @Simmerville as I want to play so bad was having so much fun for a change, but the work arounds other have mentioned like putting the ts4.exec short cut on desktop isn't working, and I could use the app but I don't want to as it will make me update and I don't want to be able to play the game only to find I have all the issues others have experienced like phone obsession which would be the worst, lag, and other issues. I hope this isn't going to replace origin as if it is, we won't have any options to opt out of patches unless it is added in.

Origin did do an automatic repair on my game, but it didn't download patch thankfully.

It seems you were more lucky than me. At the end of the forced repair I immediately got a pop up to accept the terms of conditions of the patch. Cancelling that pop up, cancelled the entire repair (after a 10GB download) and left me with no way to get the game running. I tried offline, I tried my desktop short cut. So it was either a game filled with bugs and unwanted features or no game at all. Which meant doing the repair again, downloading the same 10GB again.

Now I can 'enjoy' the aging bug, the imbalance between days in the child and teen life stage, the fears with a broken turn off option and the limitations of the gender preferences (for the first time ever since sims 1 I will be faced with sims refusing affection from others if they are the wrong gender, so this is a limitation for me)
    I don't like how origin/EA forced me to update. :angry::angry::rage::rage::angry:All I wanted was to play the game version I had and have fun with werewolves. I had no intention of updating for the high school pack as I have zero interest in high school but now I am stuck with this packs horrible patch. If EA thinks I am more inclined to hand them 40€ for a pack I don't care for after forcing me to update in this manner, they are so wrong. I am really really angry. :angry:

I miss the sims 2 times without forced patches. Heck, I even miss the time when patches were something to look forward to and be excited about. Now patches are something to dread and avoid because all they do is add bugs and broken features we can't opt out of.
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Susim62 wrote: »
    Does the game automatically update after doing a game repair in Origin?

Yep, it just did it to me. I had purposely turned off updates and set Origin offline to avoid the broken crap update they pushed out with the last pack. My game was fine till this morning when it wouldn't even start up. I had to set Origin back online and it wanted to "repair" my game which was working just fine yesterday.

Of course once the "repair" was done I had the new update applied to the game. I am so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off right now as it pulled all the new bugs and broken crap into my game that Maxis couldn't be bothered to fix before pushing this monstrosity onto its players.

Maxis if you can't be F'ed to at least fix your bugs BEFORE you push out game updates at least don't FORCE us to update the game. I was perfectly happy playing the previous update, my game played just fine, now its a broken mess. Pretty much considering just uninstalling the game for good at this point. F this crap.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    My game was auto patched, too. I first thought it didn't, but it turns out I have body hair as well as new cell phone layout, so here we go... At least my can't-play-without mods were updated.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Gagea wrote: »
    The desktop shortcut is working fine. Deleting the origin cache files didn't help.

Worked for me too.
    It's not working for me. Rebooted computer (which took forever to start).
    EA, why are you doing this to us, and why are you doing it without even a tiny warning?

I'm not patching my game, meaning I will not be allowed to play? It worked fine last night, today nothing?
    I don't want the App either, why would I need it when I prefer to play offline in order to avoid buggy patches? Why should I trust the App on day 1?

PS: Just realized it might be a good idea to backup my game before doing anything. Origin insists on repairing my game the next time I go online.

Jupp…

I thought my old setup was careful but I am going to have talk to my developer husband what my options are. We have discussed different ways of keeping the game on a specific patch from a theoretical standpoint. “ Imagine I mods, what would we do in order to have access to the game during different patches”. Now we are going to get a bit more specific. Virtual machines? I don’t know. It was a nice cup of tea and some fun tech-babble during which I might have understood 1/4 of the details, this will be interesting.

I am on the werewolf-patch. Everything works great. Haven’t seen a single bug. All my mods work without hiccups and I remembered to update Sims 4 studio. This is my little hill and I am staying on it. See no reason for decamping.
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    Now i got a question if there are any EA Beta testers out there... do i have an option to 'repair' the game in that app ?

In the app, when I tried to play offline it said you need to repair your game as there might be a corrupted game. I did so and it kicked me back online as when it was done, the sims 4 icon was up and it said play, so game was patched as well grrr. So now I am stuck. I didn't bother to try to go offline again as damage was done.
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    This just happened to me. I cancelled it and set Origin to offline... and now I can't launch my TS4 game at all. Infuriating.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Miricha wrote: »
    This just happened to me. I cancelled it and set Origin to offline... and now I can't launch my TS4 game at all. Infuriating.

It might still work with a shortcut. Have you tried that?
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member

Yup. I've tried both via the Origin interface, and also using the TS4 .exe shortcut on my desktop. Never had this problem before - I pretty much always have my Origin offline, so I can wait until mods etc. are updated before patching my game.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    edited August 2022

Yup. I've tried both via the Origin interface, and also using the TS4 .exe shortcut on my desktop. Never had this problem before - I pretty much always have my Origin offline, so I can wait until mods etc. are updated before patching my game.

It's sure frustrating not being allowed to decide when to patch our game.
    I'm glad that both my fave mods were upgraded with the HSY patch and were not affected by yesterday's repair. So, I think the forced patching at least won't cause new problems re mods. At least not mods that were updated recently.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Same here, I have played offline several times before and very well know how to achieve this. I wonder why some people seem to be able to still use a shortcut while others can't. I never had problems with the short cut before. But yesterday's origin update just wouldn't let me start up the game as well.

It's sure frustrating not being allowed to decide when to patch our game.
    I'm glad that both my fave mods were upgraded with the HSY patch and were not affected by yesterday's repair. So, I think the forced patching at least won't cause new problems re mods. At least not mods that were updated recently.

I completely agree, very frustrating. Until know I always updated origin and never had problems but from now on I will never again just trust an origin update.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,898 Member
    edited August 2022
    Atreya33 wrote: »

EDIT
    Hitting Control+R if you have that screen with blank areas instead of games to click on may work. Alternatively the option is in the "Origin" menu, about halfway down the list. (Reload Page)

Control+R helped with the blank squares. For a short moment I thought everything would be all right. But unfortunately that didn't make the game playable. Going offline before booting up origin didn't work, going into offline mode after starting origin with Internet didn't work, a direct short cut to the game did not work either. :(

Okay...lets take a breather here, tbh the best thing i think would be to re-install from scratch if i were you, backup save files, mods and tray folders. It'll be less time lost and your game will run perfect !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,898 Member
    I just started my game just now... after patiently waiting for microsoft updates to finish up... and i think im one the the few who plays with all the updates and patches but beware there is a new content drop today :D
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
    Atreya33 wrote: »

EDIT

Okay...lets take a breather here, tbh the best thing i think would be to re-install from scratch if i were you, backup save files, mods and tray folders. It'll be less time lost and your game will run perfect !

The situation has already changed for me. Origin forced me to repair my game and that included the horrible high school years patch. It was either a bugged patch or no game at all. And the damage is done now, aging bug and fears can plague my game from now on.

As for as I know a reinstall will always be with the most recent game version, so that would have lead to the same result.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    I had updated my game after they fixed the aging bug in August and bought and downloaded HSY through Origin. I played after that and everything was fine. But when I tried to go into Origin late last night It said there was a server error. My games didn’t show up either. I closed out and restated my computer, but it still said server error when I went into Origin. I have a sims 4 shortcut on my desktop, so I went in that way and my game worked fine ( even got gallery things pop up from the internet ). I know other people have got this server error too, so it must be something wrong with Origin.

Has anyone noticed Origin fixed yet?
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    It's not fixed yet, they are still working on it.
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I’m sorry everyone is having an issue on their pc. It seems that the console is working perfectly, with a few exceptions.

I do have obsessive phone use… My merfolk are even checking their phone in the water… Don’t know where they keep their phone because they don’t have any pockets in their merman or mermaid form.

I might have the romance bug given a potential group interaction that happened once…

But other than that, my game has been working swimmingly.

But I play on the PlayStation 4, simply rebooting my game system and the game itself resolved most, if not all of my problems.

There could still be a problem with mods, but that’s a risk that comes with using mods.

Vanilla seems to be working right now.