Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN THE SIMS 4 - New Update to Feature Sexual Orientation in Create a Sim

Comments

• Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    I'm so confused....
  • WerescytheWerescythe Posts: 157 Member
    Werescythe wrote: »
    As long as this doesn't prevent me from having straight sims then I'll be happy.

There's no reason to think it would prevent anything. It only allows you to define the relationships you want that particular sim to have. Nothing about this is designed to force one sexual orientation on everybody, and like the pronouns if you do nothing with the new settings nothing changes from how things are now.

I agree, but you never know. XD
    I'm probably one of the rare few here, but I love using the occult aspects in my Sims 4 games. xD
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited January 2023
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    In term of control I really like this feature and the possibilities.

In term of negative impact, the Pandora's box is opened. It allows the players to create minorities when it was normal for every sims to love both genders.

Give the ability to customize the handedness and that it will create a majority of right-handed sims.

I created my sister in the game and she noticed her and my nephew wasn't left-handed like they are in real life. When it comes to creating real life people, you start realizing a lot of CAS limitations in the game.

That's a hidden trait randomly assigned. You can cheat it though.
    traits.remove_trait trait_handedness_right
    traits.equip_trait trait_handedness_left

Post edited by Nushka on
    Happy simming!
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I'm really happy about this adding relationship depth to the game, as per others' remarks (you hit it on the head, @PenguinFoop !) about how lightweight and casual all relationships are in the game, and how interchangeable to the point they seem not to matter.

I'm also in a weird position to understand how discomfort LGBT+ reality exists due to growing up with the same prejudices others had, but agree that allowing it to be expunged from the world entirely, would be similar to allowing people to erase completely, the existence of Sims with specific skin tones and/or hair textures. Happily, anyone can make their sims and households any way they like, and that's not the same thing as wholesale erasure of targeted groups from the entire Sim world.

The best thing about this inclusion, is that it allows there to be some level of realism: if your Sim is "not questioning", they won't act like they're always up for debate on that, or can be persuaded if it's by the right person. I think it annoyed almost everyone, how universally capricious orientation was in the game, heretofore.

For me personally, this inclusion will allow me to run through a wish-fulfillment fantasy of what high school might have been like for an alternate-reality me, in a place and time when being LGBTQ+ was okay. All kids deserve the same chance to thrive.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    As long as this doesn't prevent me from having straight sims then I'll be happy.

There's no reason to think it would prevent anything. It only allows you to define the relationships you want that particular sim to have. Nothing about this is designed to force one sexual orientation on everybody, and like the pronouns if you do nothing with the new settings nothing changes from how things are now.

I agree, but you never know. XD

That is true, but I trust this will be as unobtrusive as pronouns have been, after they fixed the bug that came with them that is.🤦🏻‍♀️😁
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    But yeah, there is no need for phobic people and that includes heterophobics.

Its really easy to quell any critism when you can just call someone a phobic. Smh. That comment was really rude. This thread could remain calm if everyone can choose to respect others opinions without namecalling or accusing others of hating people or hating themselves. Ridiculous.

I agree completely. I was enjoying the conversation and gaining a new understanding for the new system until the post I responded to. We can have a grown up conversation about this. I hope we can get back to it.

I still want the option to woohoo with my favorite scarecrow though...just saying.
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    So I can have Eric Lewis married fo Alice. But pay to woo hoo with Don Lothario.
    While Alice is frustrated and has an affair.
    And someone sees Eric and blackmails him.

Yup, this can work for my game
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

I still want the option to woohoo with my favorite scarecrow though...just saying.

It a shame attraction to straw isnt included! 😮‍💨😂
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

It a shame attraction to straw isnt included! 😮‍💨😂

🤣 that is so true! Patchy is just so touchable! In fact, we're even compelled to put our hands in his pockets to "search for seeds." I mean, come on!!! It's practically an invitation to woohoo!
    imhappy wrote: »
    So I can have Eric Lewis married fo Alice. But pay to woo hoo with Don Lothario.

Wait, we can pay for woohoo???
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member

Straight is a sexual orientation too @Werescythe :) it is one of the options

• imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member

You can sell things you get from the (silver/gold) dates after the date ends. Or gift the other person money.

You can sell things you get from the (silver/gold) dates after the date ends. Or gift the other person money.

I'd never considered that... 🤔
    somewhsome wrote: »

If anything, it will allow you to have straight sims lol. You couldn't really do it before.

Sims by their nature are pansexual.

• somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Also, I'm glad we will be able to have asexual/aromantic sims. It wasn't possible before, Unflirty trait is not the same, it's more about being demisexual (needs high friendship to start a romance) and disliking PDA.
    Wait, sims like to woohoo with pans now???

I'm joking!!! I'm sure they get pots involved too.
    somewhsome wrote: »

If anything, it will allow you to have straight sims lol. You couldn't really do it before.

Sims by their nature are pansexual.

Yep, that's what I mean.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't mind having the option to have fixed preferences for those who want them, but as others have said I really don't like how they said pre-mades in the new world and future worlds will have sexualities built in... A lower chance of success attraction system would be fine, but I don't want to be told that my sim has a 0% chance at successfully flirting with certain sims because they have a pre-set sexuality that I can only change with cheats.. That's just an unnecessary restriction for me, what happened to "tell your own story"?

I'm also a bit confused on the wording in the original post, it says in one line that sims will behave as they've always done if you ignore the update, and then on the next line it says their attraction "can shift through gameplay". So if I play a save with a male sim, and then have him only flirt with male sims will he be labelled in the game as only being attracted to men, and then won't be able to flirt with female sims?

On a completely seperate note, I like the "woohoo partners" option. Actually in my current save I've had a female sim act as a surrogate as I wanted my male sims to have their own kids, but didn't want to use the gender settings to do it. It doesn't work that well at current though as you obviously need romantic relationships to do so and then sims get mad thinking they're being cheated on :#
    Onverser wrote: »
    I don't mind having the option to have fixed preferences for those who want them, but as others have said I really don't like how they said pre-mades in the new world and future worlds will have sexualities built in... A lower chance of success attraction system would be fine, but I don't want to be told that my sim has a 0% chance at successfully flirting with certain sims because they have a pre-set sexuality that I can only change with cheats.. That's just an unnecessary restriction for me, what happened to "tell your own story"?

I'm also a bit confused on the wording in the original post, it says in one line that sims will behave as they've always done if you ignore the update, and then on the next line it says their attraction "can shift through gameplay". So if I play a save with a male sim, and then have him only flirt with male sims will he be labelled in the game as only being attracted to men, and then won't be able to flirt with female sims?

On a completely seperate note, I like the "woohoo partners" option. Actually in my current save I've had a female sim act as a surrogate as I wanted my male sims to have their own kids, but didn't want to use the gender settings to do it. It doesn't work that well at current though as you obviously need romantic relationships to do so and then sims get mad thinking they're being cheated on :#

I think there is a setting, something about being willing to experiment or something that allows one's sexual preferences to shift over time. I may be wrong but that's what I thought I'd read.
    edited July 2022

I think there is a setting, something about being willing to experiment or something that allows one's sexual preferences to shift over time. I may be wrong but that's what I thought I'd read.

You are correct, there is a setting for exploring romantically.
    No, because there is a separate box called “is this sim exploring romantically?”. If ticked “yes”, your sim will be able to flirt with any gender.

So it's like I thought. You had to tick the right boxes.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member

As sims do now, if you play a male sim and just flirt with male sims, his preference will switch from no preference to preferring men. However, unless you go in and switch the "Explore options" to "No", he will still be open to flirting with/woohooing women if you direct him to (and possibly responding autonomously if autonomously flirted with by an NPC) If you switch explore options to "No" they will reject flirting outside of their preferences.

As I understand it, sexual preference actually is in the game, but until now it has been a hidden value.
  • LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    This is great. My Non-binary self is gonna have a field day when my enby sims can actually be Non-binary in truth. Maybe then the game will catch up and stop saying "they likes" all the time lol. But I love this inclusion. Maybe it would work if the game recognized Male and Female as sex, and the other settings as separate Genders. So like the ♀️♂️ Could just be AFAB AMAB in game. And there could be another setting added on. Like we have the frame thing, and pregnancy options, and stuff. So maybe in that area we could add gender options. Sidestep the binary without breaking the game.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top