Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN THE SIMS 4 - New Update to Feature Sexual Orientation in Create a Sim

Comments

• DarrenDarren Posts: 129 Member
    I truly hope that this game doesn't force labels on us. Again though, I do like the idea of having to work harder for romance. It's just too easy in the game as is. Also, I know that not every person (or sim) is open to well-defined, scripted out and predetermined relationship opportunities (no matter what community you live in, there seems to be more and more restrictions), but I hope that with the settings, it's not a hard "no way I'd rather die in a pit of vipers than do that! It's just eww," situation. Okay maybe a little over-dramatic. Lol

I am tired of the "HI, how are you?" "I'm good thanks. And you?" "I'm flirty. Wanna have a baby???" "Sure, your dumpster or my waterfall?" Conversations we have now.

You can't really have a deterministic computer system without labels.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited July 2022
    In term of control I really like this feature and the possibilities.

In term of negative impact, the Pandora's box is opened. It allows the players to create minorities when it was normal for every sims to love both genders.

Give the ability to customize the handedness and that it will create a majority of right-handed sims.
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    Romance options as specific boxes to check instead of "if you don't want your sims to do that, don't have them do that" strikes me as a little silly, but ultimately harmless and easy to ignore. I guess it lets people give some more direction to unplayed townies if they want to direct story progression or feel a bit better represented in their selfsims.

The part that feels off to me is the woohoo partner relationship status. We have "juice" instead of alcoholic beverages and teen woohoo is very explicitly never going to happen due to keeping a T rating and maintaining the series' lighthearted vibe, but casual woohoo/woohoobuddies strike me as counter to that vibe. It's never as easy as saying "let's just agree that we won't catch feelings" and then nobody ever does. I'm okay gating woohoo behind romance and asking aromantic allosexuals to either adjust how they define "romance" vis-a-vis their selfsims, or accepting that NSA expressions of sexuality are just not part of the milieu that sims sets out to represent.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,831 Member
    I'm really happy to see this! I mean, we had sexual orientation in the game before, but it was sort of hidden. I also really like the "exploring"/"not exploring" options, that seems like it will suit the needs of both the players who want to control their game and the players who want to be surprised.

@EA_Cade do you know what will happen with future randomly generated sims? Will they start with no preference and then adjust through gameplay, as before? Or will they have settings randomly assigned?
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2022
    So if you dont use the feature at all, no townies use it either and its as if the game is the same as before? So basically thats "turning it off"? Theres no reason for it not to be able to turn it off, unless this is meant by its opt-in. But I also seen elsewhere that new townies for future expansions will have preset orientations, is that true? Or is the only preset orientstion for this expansions premades? Also will setting your orientation change who may be your acting partner will be in movies?
    Post edited by StrawberryYogurt on
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited July 2022

I am tired of the "HI, how are you?" "I'm good thanks. And you?" "I'm flirty. Wanna have a baby???" "Sure, your dumpster or my waterfall?" Conversations we have now.

Im sorry but this took me out 😂😂😂😂

• SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member

In term of negative impact, the Pandora's box is opened. It allows the players to create minorities when it was normal for every sims to love both genders.

Give the ability to customize the handedness and that it will create a majority of right-handed sims.

I created my sister in the game and she noticed her and my nephew wasn't left-handed like they are in real life. When it comes to creating real life people, you start realizing a lot of CAS limitations in the game.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited July 2022
    So if you dont use the feature at all, no townies use it either and its as if the game is the same as before? So basically thats "turning it off"? Theres no reason for it not to be able to turn it off, unless this is meant by its opt-in. Also will setting your orientation change who may be your acting partner will be in movies?

lilsimsie showed footage on her livestream where she encountered a sim who was interested in her sim romantically but was also not interested in wohooing with her sim (because of his sexual orientation) so I think townies will get it randomized.

I'm pretty sure that it's easy enough to change it in CAS if you want to play your game differently than what the game assigned for the townies (through household management)

I assume that premades will have default settings.
  • BubblegumjonahBubblegumjonah Posts: 118 Member
    No. While we try to give players the option to toggle certain gameplay features, LGBTQIA+ identities are a fact of life and not a toggle to be switched on and off.

Honestly? Slay.
  • KingofSimsKingofSims Posts: 371 Member
    SnaveXs wrote: »

I created my sister in the game and she noticed her and my nephew wasn't left-handed like they are in real life. When it comes to creating real life people, you start realizing a lot of CAS limitations in the game.

I think there's a cheat for that. I also heard that sims can be both right handed and left handed, something like a hidden trait the game selects randomly, though the majority of Sims are right-handed.

As for CAS, well it had more limitations in previous games. Sims 4 took it to the next level.
    I am taking bets, how many hours after release till there will be a no townie orientation mod?
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    It sounds like all existing premades will have the default settings in a new save, but future premades might have predefined sexualities. In my experience on these forums, there are tons of people playing every premade with every sexual preference, so it feels like future premades will be less "ours" and more prewritten. But the big question is the random townies. Will they be default or random settings?
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    It sounds like all existing premades will have the default settings in a new save, but future premades might have predefined sexualities. In my experience on these forums, there are tons of people playing every premade with every sexual preference, so it feels like future premades will be less "ours" and more prewritten. But the big question is the random townies. Will they be default or random settings?

Premades weren't really "ours" out of the box. Brant Heckings from C&D is very clearly gay, while the Supriya Delgato is similarly straight. You're free as a player to override these, but you're just as free as a player to edit which boxes are ticked once the update comes out.

I'll change my tune if randomized townies are given randomized orientations. I just consider that highly unlikely given how hands off of randomized townies they've been so far.
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    KingofSims wrote: »
    SnaveXs wrote: »

I think there's a cheat for that. I also heard that sims can be both right handed and left handed, something like a hidden trait the game selects randomly, though the majority of Sims are right-handed.

As for CAS, well it had more limitations in previous games. Sims 4 took it to the next level.

Thank you. I didn't know I could change it. I think I found the code.

edited July 2022

Premades weren't really "ours" out of the box. Brant Heckings from C&D is very clearly gay, while the Supriya Delgato is similarly straight. You're free as a player to override these, but you're just as free as a player to edit which boxes are ticked once the update comes out.

I'll change my tune if randomized townies are given randomized orientations. I just consider that highly unlikely given how hands off of randomized townies they've been so far.

In the livestream they tried to ask a random student (Savannah something) which I don't think was from a premade family (although maybe she was from Kevins household) to go to the prom and she declined because of her orientation.
    Was somewhere in the last quarter.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Darren wrote: »

In the livestream they tried to ask a random student (Savannah something) which I don't think was from a premade family (although maybe she was from Kevins household) to go to the prom and she declined because of her orientation.
    Was somewhere in the last quarter.

She is from a premade family. She's Sidney's sister.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I never knew how much I needed this until now 😳
    My brain is filtering through all the potential and scenarios. Plus I still think we need a faithful trait but at least this would be a big help! We're halfway there🤭🤭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited July 2022
    logion wrote: »
    So if you dont use the feature at all, no townies use it either and its as if the game is the same as before? So basically thats "turning it off"? Theres no reason for it not to be able to turn it off, unless this is meant by its opt-in. Also will setting your orientation change who may be your acting partner will be in movies?

lilsimsie showed footage on her livestream where she encountered a sim who was interested in her sim romantically but was also not interested in wohooing with her sim (because of his sexual orientation) so I think townies will get it randomized.

I'm pretty sure that it's easy enough to change it in CAS if you want to play your game differently than what the game assigned for the townies (through household management)

I'm guessing premades will have default settings.

So then going into CAS for every sim and then adjusting. What if people want it as how it originally was then? So its not necessarily opt-in if it randomizes the townies. Thats not really getting to play your way if it affects your whole town and it's a base game update. Theres also many other things that are "a fact of life" and not in the game, but then again sims isn't supposed to be about realism (we just had werewolves) and its supposed to be highly customizable? You can toggle weather, life states, aging etc. Idk but that response about why it cant be toggled comes off as rude.

Game developers telling how their players should feel or stand on different topics never ends well.

Yeah, I mean its by text so some things may come off differently how you meant it to, but this comes off as too assuming and unnecessary. Thats just how I took it, everyone may have a different reaction. Yeah, they shouldnt tell us how to feel about updates. Waiting for things on my "facts of life" to be implemented in a future editon of the sims, like a comprehensive personality system, funerals, buying groceries and clothing in person, in depth fears & wants, an optional culture / religion feature, and lots more stuff.

Looks like I might have been wrong that townies are getting this randomized, I'm seeing the same sim in DrGluon's footage so I think that sim was not a townie.

Yeah, I think when it comes to sensitive topics one should always be careful how to choose to address it.
  • ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    edited July 2022
    Very pleased we finally have an attraction system. Showing my age maybe but I've always missed having those 3 or even 2 lightning bolt couples.
    Yes it requires a bit more work, some sims you'd had in mind as a future match may turn out not to be.
    Curious how this affects existing households and couples? Hopefully they don't all hate each other on sight.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I truly hope that this game doesn't force labels on us. Again though, I do like the idea of having to work harder for romance. It's just too easy in the game as is. Also, I know that not every person (or sim) is open to well-defined, scripted out and predetermined relationship opportunities (no matter what community you live in, there seems to be more and more restrictions), but I hope that with the settings, it's not a hard "no way I'd rather die in a pit of vipers than do that! It's just eww," situation. Okay maybe a little over-dramatic. Lol

I understand what you mean because I don't like labels either but from what I understand,( I briefed everything because I don't have much time this weekend 🥲) there are no forced labels. It's going to be like a hidden preference that you can mostly ignore. You can either leave things as they are now or if you choose one of the other options then all it does is influence sims behavior when it comes to romance. But I didn't see anything about forced or outward labels.
    Maybe I missed something.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(

I'm guessing premades will have default settings.

So then going into CAS for every sim and then adjusting. What if people want it as how it originally was then? So its not necessarily opt-in if it randomizes the townies. Thats not really getting to play your way if it affects your whole town and it's a base game update. Theres also many other things that are "a fact of life" and not in the game, but then again sims isn't supposed to be about realism (we just had werewolves) and its supposed to be highly customizable? You can toggle weather, life states, aging etc. Idk but that response about why it cant be toggled comes off as rude.

Game developers telling how their players should feel or stand on different topics never ends well.

Yeah, I mean its by text so some things may come off differently how you meant it to, but this comes off as too assuming and unnecessary. Thats just how I took it, everyone may have a different reaction. Yeah, they shouldnt tell us how to feel about updates. Waiting for things on my "facts of life" to be implemented in a future editon of the sims, like a comprehensive personality system, funerals, buying groceries and clothing in person, in depth fears & wants, an optional culture / religion feature, and lots more stuff.

Looks like I might have been wrong that townies are getting this randomized, I'm seeing the same sim in DrGluon's footage so I think that sim was not a townie.

Yeah, I think when it comes to sensitive topics one should always be careful how to choose to address it.

Yeah, ive seen conflicting comments on whether itll be on for townies, future townies etc. Im sure they will end up addressing it though. And it is good to be careful and thoughtful, especially when directing something towards a worldwide audience.

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    Very pleased we finally have an attraction system. Showing my age maybe but I've always missed having those 3 or even 2 lightning bolt couples.
    Yes it requires a bit more work, some sims you'd had in mind as a future match may turn out not to be.
    Curious how this affects existing households and couples? Hopefully they don't all hate each other on sight.

I might be wrong because I had to jump from desk towards the end of the stream, but I didn't see mention of an attraction system? I only saw the sexual preference and orientation, meaning they would not be responsive to flirty actions if the person was not their preference.

When I think of an attraction system, I think of things that a sim finds attractive about another sim, like their eye color, or build, or their career, how wealthy they, where they're from, what activities they're into, etc. To me an attraction system narrows down the pool of potential suitors.

What I saw (or maybe what I interpreted it to be) was that you could chose which gender your person preferred, but that wouldn't narrow it down beyond gender .... so if you have a lesbian and choose they only are interested in females ... they'd be interested in ALL females equally. Nothing would indicate which female they'd be more attracted to.
  • WerescytheWerescythe Posts: 157 Member
    As long as this doesn't prevent me from having straight sims then I'll be happy.
    I'm probably one of the rare few here, but I love using the occult aspects in my Sims 4 games. xD
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,792 Member
    Werescythe wrote: »
    As long as this doesn't prevent me from having straight sims then I'll be happy.

There's no reason to think it would prevent anything. It only allows you to define the relationships you want that particular sim to have. Nothing about this is designed to force one sexual orientation on everybody, and like the pronouns if you do nothing with the new settings nothing changes from how things are now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top