Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Pack Release Timeline is Too Rushed?

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
This creator argues that the pack release schedule, particularly between Werewolves and the new High School EP, is too rushed and ultimately leads to a lack of polish in the content. He blames EA and the desire for profit over all else as the reason. Thoughts? Do you agree with his assessment?
https://youtu.be/_ppeissvw8c
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464

Comments

• MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    edited July 2022
    I don't love that it's feast or famine when it comes to content but I want content, all the content. I hope they maintain this energy but if this year is anything like last year, this will be the last EP for the year. Hopefully that isn't the case.
    Post edited by MichelleW on
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    This creator argues that the pack release schedule, particularly between Werewolves and the new High School EP, is too rushed and ultimately leads to a lack of polish in the content.

Honestly didn't watch the full video so can't judge fully, but this seems like a strange take to have given recent releases. There was seven months between Cottage Living and My Wedding Stories and MWS was the most bugged and rushed pack they've put out in years, meanwhile there was a much smaller gap between MWS and Werewolves, and Werewolves and High School yet they're a billion times better packs...

They work on packs at the same time rather than one after the other, so them releasing within a close proximity of each other isn't really the reason for rushed packs in my opinion. Plus we haven't even seen gameplay of the high school pack yet beyond a 3 minute trailer, so I think it's a bit too soon to judge on how polished it is
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    It doesn't feel rushed to me, because Werewolves and High School appeal to different types of players. Of course there's always some overlap, myself I already have the weres and will also buy High school, but I'm not in a hurry to get the latter.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I'm loving it. Werewolves didn't appeal to everyone and maybe now those players can enjoy High School Years.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    No.
    I get feeling that this pack may have been delayed. There is a bit of a pack gap.
    Also the last pack was an occult pack, so these two packs aren't really competing all that much and I bet people who aren't into werewolves are glad to have a pack in July.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    I don't think it's rushed on their end. As in that's why some packs suck. Personally I think MWS is a flawed concept even if/when everything works right(and I don't hate the pack).

I find it rushed on my end as I am enjoying werewolves and would like more time to focus on that before a new pack.

I also always find it odd when they release something new so close to a well received pack. I feel like they can better spread out the big packs. We had a lot of months with nothing.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited July 2022
    No, if anything I think an EP is well overdue. That being said, it's more likely the EP team has been working on this one for some time now given there hasn't been an EP in over a year. If you're comparing it to MWS, I do think that gamepack was rushed also I didn't notice a lot of hype over it before its release. Not saying there wasn't more, I just didn't notice it.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2022
    It's difficult to use release schedules to determine if packs are rushed as they could have worked on these packs for a long time.

Maxis should be able to organize so that people are able to work on the packs within their assigned budget as they are most likely working on several things at the same time but in the end I think it comes down to if you believe that EA and Maxis are using enough resources as you would like for these packs and I do feel that Maxis need more resources for game development and QA so we could see less rabbit holes and bugs.

But it's very easy to say that and another thing knowing how they are working, what they are working on and what they are able to do... for all that we know maybe Maxis really wanted to release Werewolves and the High School Years pack close to each other because it worked best for what they have planned.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,409 Member
    edited July 2022
    I haven't had a chance to watch this video yet but I do think it is too soon because I think werewolves is done dirty. I was watching one let's play about werewolves and it will be rushed to an end soon so the creator can be ready for the new pack. Creators want to follow the latest trends by talking about the latest pack which means werewolves, the first occult pack in 3 years will cease to get any attention two weeks after release. I think this pack deserved better.
    MichelleW wrote: »
    I don't love that it's feast or famine when it comes to content but I want content, all the content. I hope they maintain this energy but if this year is anything like last year, this will be the last EP for the year. Hopefully that isn't the case.

If it feels like to much, wait and purchase a few months from now. The pack will likely go on sale by the holidays, you essentially pay a premium to play it when it releases as opposed to waiting a few months for it to go on sale.

I can and will wait to get the new pack. But in the meantime I will have to play alone in my little corner because online community will be dominated with the next pack.
    g01denswan wrote: »
    He just likes to complain for clicks. I ignore his videos now.

And to answer your question, no, I don’t think it’s too soon. They have different people working on different packs. We haven’t had an EP for about a year.

We didn't have an EP in about a year, yes. But I would prefer if EP and GP were more evenly spread throughout the year. Now the GP is quickly shoved aside to make way for an EP which is likely to be followed by another very long gap.
    CK213 wrote: »
    No.
    I get feeling that this pack may have been delayed. There is a bit of a pack gap.
    Also the last pack was an occult pack, so these two packs aren't really competing all that much and I bet people who aren't into werewolves are glad to have a pack in July.

These packs aren't competitors in terms of content. But it is a fact that only the most recent one is getting attention from game changers. So when it comes to content released about this pack, they are competitors. An early end to werewolf let's plays, no one bothering to make a review about werewolves when they can speculate over the new pack. The werewolves pack is the big loser in this situation.

Anyway I am done with complaining about this bad timing. I have done so in a few threads already and the only result is that I get fed up about it myself. I will just play what I want even if the vast majority of the sims community has moved on.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    No.

Anyway I am done with complaining about this bad timing. I have done so in a few threads already and the only result is that I get fed up about it myself. I will just play what I want even if the vast majority of the sims community has moved on.

I disagree.
    It's really not as big a deal as he is making it out to be. I doubt the sales of either of these packs will be hurt in anyway.
    It might even help as there is attention around both packs now.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    I cannot possibly disagree more. There is no lack of polish, the content wasn't rushed. The pandemic didn't stop production, it just massively bottlenecked it. That's behind us, all the bits and pieces that were being worked on remotely are being worked on in person now so they're just getting caught up. People have been screaming they want new content for two years and now that they're getting it, suddenly it's coming too fast.

There's also the fact that new content is coming out so the "Cool Kids" are going to be up to their usual tricks, bashing Maxis and the Gurus. Oh we hate this, oh that sucks, etc, he's just appealing to them so they'll think he's "cool" too and give him clicks as @g01denswan mentioned. I say let him rant and rave, as is his right to do, and just ignore him while he does.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited July 2022
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    g01denswan wrote: »
    He just likes to complain for clicks. I ignore his videos now.

And to answer your question, no, I don’t think it’s too soon. They have different people working on different packs. We haven’t had an EP for about a year.

We didn't have an EP in about a year, yes. But I would prefer if EP and GP were more evenly spread throughout the year. Now the GP is quickly shoved aside to make way for an EP which is likely to be followed by another very long gap.

What do you mean it’s been shoved aside? You don’t need to buy packs as soon as they are released. Just wait until you are ready.

There are a lot of players who aren’t interested in werewolves, and they would like something new to play too.

Edited to fix the quotes
    Post edited by g01denswan on
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I'm glad to get lots of content, especially since we went such a long time without anything but kits and then a broken pack. I don't get it, if you don't want to play a new pack then don't buy it yet.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    the answer is just plain simple just do not wantch such videos and i do not see any rush with content realise
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    the answer is just plain simple just do not wantch such videos and i do not see any rush with content realise

I've never watched him. I don't even know who he is. That look on his face in the promo pic, coupled with what I'm going to hear if I push play, doesn't inspire me to want to know who he is or to watch him.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited July 2022
    I think to me the problem is that since they are releasing so much gameplay at once bug fixes and base game updates can't really keep up to speed

like the way they constantly shower game with new content without even really spending enough time testing the new content things are bound to break

especially since there was and still is big issues with mws and dhd and all the older packs really if we get into it

also like I don't know what the rush is to keep putting out new content atm just as said in video

werewolves just released I am sure they could have taken at least the month before ep and no one would have been upset

maybe they are trying to squeeze in 2 eps this year cause at least that would explain lack of time between werewolves and high school trying to create time between 2 ep

or idk maybe they got werewolves done before expected while high school wasnt ready for summer as expected so thats why schedule feels off cause it did seem odd to me they didnt do werewolves during spooky season

but idk I just wish they took some more resources and time to fixing the game in between so it wouldn't become hot mess

putting broken stuff on top of broken stuff just makes banana fly sized issues into size elephant issues

also it kind of feels like when sims 3 was wrapping up they just went insane adding like everything no concerns for performance

like how many things they've said in past they can't do for ts4 cause it could lead to issues in game running which they are now showering the game with out of nowhere as if its magically resolved

sure could be that they actually just found a way to do it without hurting performance but also as conspiracy gal i just feel paranoid its because they've seen where they're gonna end adding content now and they're just dumping all the remaining in
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I don't who he is as I don't really watch videos like that; but I don't see how these two packs are rushed (now he might of had an argument when it came to MWS as that one was a mess and they knew it and even the live stream was a hot mess). If anything, there has been less game and expansion packs being released in general which I actually like. Yeah there are bugs but that is going to be a given with new stuff (not just an issue with Sims 4). As long as they catch and fix them, that is what is important. I say it less about a rush issue and more of a resource issue that focuses just on repairing bugs.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Has it not been about a year since the last expansion that's the furthest thing from rushed an expansion pack was more than due. Now obviously they do rush packs out we have all seen the buggy Wedding pack which was pushed out untested.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    *shrug* Hard to tell without seeing it, right? We don't know the schedule or the pack quality. For all we know, High School has had its own development team since launch in 2014. (Ridiculous notion, of course, but it illustrates how little we actually know proper about the pack development.)

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat people screaming into the void that is the internet. There are a fair few.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Everyone was literally complaining that we've been waiting so long for another expansion pack... and now it's suddenly "too rushed"? lol

I'm not an EA apologist, but this is a ridiculous criticism. Cottage Living was released an entire year ago... we haven't gotten an expansion pack since then. Also, the High School Years pack literally comes with tons of extra features and content that EA didn't even have to include to begin with (such as the carnival). If you ask me, it looks like they put extra effort into a pack for once! I feel like High School Years is coming with more content than usual for an expansion pack.

So, no... I don't agree with this ridiculous criticism. If anything, it looks like EA is starting to listen to the fans.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2022
    They haven't experienced the high school pack yet so can't possibly have anything meaningful to say on the quality of content between the two packs. All I know is that the werewolf pack seems like a pretty well put together pack and I've experienced barely any bugs or glitches with it so far. It has a few questionable design choices but that's just a thing with the Sims 4 in general.

I personally don't think it has anything to do with the timing between releases. I think it's more to do with the lack of quality testing and caring from EA to make sure that their products are functioning well.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited July 2022
    As someone pointed out, no, he's just looking for clicks. We know that different teams work on different packs and we didn't get an EP for a year. Now we finally have a new occult after over 2 years and another EP after a year and people want to complain that it's "too soon" when there have been a slew of complaints in the past for how long it takes for decently sized packs to come out at all. I'll speculate that the complaint is rooted in the fact that all their mods broke in the last big update and they're used to having a cooldown before they break again.

I'll admit that I have a bunch of criticism about the game (I even quit once out of frustration), but there's a group of people who'd rather find anything about the game to complain about rather than fairly weigh it. He seems no different and deserves no attention.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Complain about more content? Not me.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited July 2022
    It's not too rushed (except MWS), but they should balance the releases better. We get months of no content and then suddenly a bunch of packs and kits all at once.
    I didn't click the video, I've never watched his videos but I've seen the thumbnails and they look so clickbait-y and always very negative.