Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    edited July 2022
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    😱FEARS😱
    😲 Periods not being included in "sims now hitting puberty. That would be a very hurtful statement. 😥 (hoping for at least a moodlet once in awhile!)
    😲 No clubs for Art / Music / Drama / Creativity? I really hope they just haven't mentioned it yet.
    😲 That the pack would be a nightmare for rotational players (ugh University! The game filling up your school with random NPC teens / your sims graduating on their own!)
    😲 Not possible to assign which sims that should work as teachers / principal (like the Scott's in CoL! I can never play them bc they would lose their role 😓)

😡NAY'S😡
    😭 The school is very americanized, and most of the problem is the sports.
    Football and Cheerleading are very american sports (and also very gender-associated as someone else mentioned). I haven't seen these activites outside US, I don't think we even have it in the part of the world where I come from. I would have prefered something like a SWIMMING TEAM. They could have made swimming into a separate skill and expanded on it. They could have made it possible to race with another sim and have interactive swimming competitions (that we could watch, not just sending your sim to a rabbit hole!).
    😭 Teens looking like adults! (The height! Fullgrown before puberty... what?). Hoping for a pack in the future: ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOLS YEARS with focus on growing up, CHILDHOOD and introducing the NEW LIFESTATE PRE-TEENS

What's wrong with it being Americanized? I understand people want more representation of other areas.Which is fair and good.I don't think it means we should not have certain things because it's American.The university pack was more ukamd this pack is more American.

Nothing is wrong with it being Americanized. But it's lack of representation and give less opportunities for players to tell their stories. I'm very happy for when the team trying to be more inclusive.

How is represented things are a lack of representation?How can you not be able to tell the story you want because these are included?I don't think any of this is mandatory.

Not sure what you mean. But in my opinion it had been a better choice to include activities that are not only centered around US (American football and Cheerleading). That would open up the possibilites to create more diverse stories in my meaning.

See that's what's your saying they should not include these activities because they are American.And European countries do not have these.
    telemwill wrote: »
    We should be able to appreciate the strengths of both genders. It is more that they are seen, rightly or wrongly, as elitist. These are teams you have to try out for and only a small percentage make it.

This is one reason I find them so weird (and apparently the other way around, I have told before how American expats here in Sweden are very confused because we don't have school sport teams or debate teams or whatever).
    For me it's like "What do you mean not everyone who wants to play is allowed to"?

Yeah school sports teams are mostly American.Debate teams are not gendered.Its only physical sports that are mostly gendered.Because of physical differences.Except for cheerleading , guys can join no problem.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    How is represented things are a lack of representation?How can you not be able to tell the story you want because these are included?I don't think any of this is mandatory.

It'll be impossible for someone to tell the story of going to school in Mt Komorebi, or Windenburg, which would not have a typical "American" school experience. Even players whose sims live in American locations such as Strangerville/Oasis Springs/Sulani will probably find it weird for their sims to commute to school in Copperdale.

The best thing would have been a "school" lot type so players could build one in any world they wanted. And school activities or sports that aren't tied so heavily to one specific culture/country would have allowed more players to tell the stories they want.

This is not the equivalent of a sandbox. This is a sandbox where the sand castle is already 90% built.

Exactly this. A "Central European" city, or a Japanese town would have completely different schools. At least in Uni going abroad to study at "Oxford" makes kinda sense.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member

It'll be impossible for someone to tell the story of going to school in Mt Komorebi, or Windenburg, which would not have a typical "American" school experience. Even players whose sims live in American locations such as Strangerville/Oasis Springs/Sulani will probably find it weird for their sims to commute to school in Copperdale.

The best thing would have been a "school" lot type so players could build one in any world they wanted. And school activities or sports that aren't tied so heavily to one specific culture/country would have allowed more players to tell the stories they want.

This is not the equivalent of a sandbox. This is a sandbox where the sand castle is already 90% built.

Exactly this. A "Central European" city, or a Japanese town would have completely different schools. At least in Uni going abroad to study at "Oxford" makes kinda sense.

Yeah I agree, well worded both of you!
    Yeah maybe a school lot type would be better.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I'm planning on making my Sims cheer squads very diverse, like the one in the trailer. And, I'm planning on doing the same thing with my football teams. I'd enjoy having basketball and soccer as athletic options for my Sim students, but sports in my Simworld will include any Sim who wants to give it a try.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    We should be able to appreciate the strengths of both genders. It is more that they are seen, rightly or wrongly, as elitist. These are teams you have to try out for and only a small percentage make it.

This is one reason I find them so weird (and apparently the other way around, I have told before how American expats here in Sweden are very confused because we don't have school sport teams or debate teams or whatever).
    For me it's like "What do you mean not everyone who wants to play is allowed to"?

There are some exceptions. Many private schools allow everyone to play.

Some public schools have intermural sports that allow all students to play. And there are lots of community sports organizations that allow everyone.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Swimming would have been a nice sport activity and open to all genders. Or ice hockey.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    My only complaint so far is that it hasn't been released yet.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
    edited July 2022

Some public schools have intermural sports that allow all students to play. And there are lots of community sports organizations that allow everyone.

Speaking of exclusive things... I just saw Lilsimsies reaction and I had to google "Promposal"... Seems like something explicitly designed to increase bullying...

At least let my Sim go Carrie on everyone if she's not invited to prom :wink:

(Edit: Sorry, bullying and things that can lead to bullying is kinda a hard trigger for me still).
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member

Speaking of exclusive things... I just saw Lilsimsies reaction and I had to google "Promposal"... Seems like something explicitly designed to increase bullying...

I've always thought that the whole concept of a school activity that you have to ask a date to is weird and just asking for 'popular vs unpopular' bullying dynamic, but it really caught on in many places in the world so what do I know... I do like this concept in the Sims though, cause Sims (generally) don't judge.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Plus sims can already swim. I much prefer football. We already have soccer. Running is pretty boring. Football is something sims can do together even if it's just throwing it back and forth. Cheerleading is a whole lot of fun. I love dancing and cheering is practically the same thing! Imagine putting together routines, practicing, getting the team together and performing!!
    Swimming wouldn't be half as interesting.

We don't really have football, just football knee bouncing. Would have been nice to kick the ball and have a football goal net and such.
    😱FEARS😱
    😲 Periods not being included in "sims now hitting puberty. That would be a very hurtful statement. 😥 (hoping for at least a moodlet once in awhile!)
    😲 No clubs for Art / Music / Drama / Creativity? I really hope they just haven't mentioned it yet.
    😲 That the pack would be a nightmare for rotational players (ugh University! The game filling up your school with random NPC teens / your sims graduating on their own!)
    😲 Not possible to assign which sims that should work as teachers / principal (like the Scott's in CoL! I can never play them bc they would lose their role 😓)

😡NAY'S😡
    Football and Cheerleading are very american sports (and also very gender-associated as someone else mentioned). I haven't seen these activites outside US, I don't think we even have it in the part of the world where I come from. I would have prefered something like a SWIMMING TEAM. They could have made swimming into a separate skill and expanded on it. They could have made it possible to race with another sim and have interactive swimming competitions (that we could watch, not just sending your sim to a rabbit hole!).
    😭 Teens looking like adults! (The height! Fullgrown before puberty... what?). Hoping for a pack in the future: ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOLS YEARS with focus on growing up, CHILDHOOD and introducing the NEW LIFESTATE PRE-TEENS

What's wrong with it being Americanized? I understand people want more representation of other areas.Which is fair and good.I don't think it means we should not have certain things because it's American.The university pack was more ukamd this pack is more American.

I agree. Every pack kind of has a cultural theme. No one complains why was komorebi a Japan theme? Why was Jungle Adventure a South American theme? Why was Sulani a native islander theme? Etc. Etc. So what's wrong with an American themed pack? I'm not even a native American and I see nothing wrong with this. I understand everyone wants to be "represented" these days but
    It's impossible to represent every country in one little school pack. It would have been a mess of mixed up cultures all trying to be packed into one and that's not a good look IMO.

Plus sims can already swim. I much prefer football. We already have soccer. Running is pretty boring. Football is something sims can do together even if it's just throwing it back and forth. Cheerleading is a whole lot of fun. I love dancing and cheering is practically the same thing! Imagine putting together routines, practicing, getting the team together and performing!!

The gender thing kind of disturbed me. There is nothing stereotypical or discriminating about sports in a game. The Sims team is very diverse with all kinds of people on the team. They always promote diversity and they reflect that in the game.
    The fact that they choose cheer and football has nothing to do with discrimination. It's popular (in America) and its fun!! Any sim can do it in the game although it's not that common in real life.
    Even in the trailer sim dude was cheering.
    This game is made in America btw.

And last of all, there is absolutely nothing wrong with "girly" things in the game and "manly" things. I request more of it actually. Not EVRRYTHING has to be gender neutral. That's exactly why we still have yet to get a man pack. And when we did it was representing the "modern" man and everyone was upset 😭😭😭

Precisely, we have packs that are base on specific cultures.Saying that we shouldn't have specific American things in packs.Because not every has them.To me is not representation
    Your right they could not be able to represent everyone in a pack.I do think we more customization lots and other things.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

(Edit: Sorry, bullying and things that can lead to bullying is kinda a hard trigger for me still).
    I think promposals are a new thing. I can't imagine doing that with anyone you are not already dating. Prom was more low-key back in the Stone Age when I went. I did have to ask my boyfriend though because he had already graduated. I remember it being scary to ask. I was afraid he would think it was a kid thing since he was a whole six months older. 😂
    crocobaura wrote: »

We don't really have football, just football knee bouncing. Would have been nice to kick the ball and have a football goal net and such.

Than that should be an update for University.That should not been something here.We do not know how football and cheerleading works here.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    😱FEARS😱

😡NAY'S😡

As a Brit who attended a British University, the only things British about Discover University is the town and the kebab pizza. Everything else about the pack is American. We don't have "majors" with electives and GPAs, our professors are called lecturers, our halls of residence (not "dorms") do not have shared bedrooms or lack kitchens, or share the bathroom with the rest of the floor, collegiate sports aren't a path to professional sports, we don't have institutes of technology but rather former polytechnics, there is just so much that is American that I'm sure the pack would have better themed by being set in a Boston style world with a Harvard/MIT rivalry. It just makes it all the more jarring. They were never going to do a British University pack, given how they have zero experience of the British University experience, and I wouldn't want it to, nor should you as it it translates less than the American experience due to American media which the 2 and 3 version parodied.

I feel that when they made Discover University, they stripped out everything from the 2 and 3 which they thought was explicitly American, such as Greek houses, toga parties, letterman's, and other American college activities such as the counter culture, hackey sack on the quad, college rock etc to make it less US centric, and replaced it with nothing (because, as it turns out, the international college experience isn't that universal) and to compensate made the academic side (which was NEVER the core focus of the previous university packs) more tedious, not by making it more in depth, but by making the stuff we did in previous packs (homework, study, write term paper) more frequent and take longer.
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    edited July 2022
    My complaint is more with the Depop crossover appeal. I have thoughts about teens marketing themselves to be influencers and it is, "OH GOD. WHY!? Why would you showcase your face and stuff and pictures of things and clothes online!?" As an older person who was taught stranger danger and being annoymous online, the ways social media have changed the game so radically is just... -shudder-

Also I just feel like dying everytime I hear about a combination thrift-store/bobba tea shop. I grew up in a TINY town and all ya had were churches! And one restaurant everyone went to! (From what I hear, said restaurant actually closed thanks to Covid and is now a franchised pizza takeaway. Alas) Which I suppose is what sorta Thrift-Tea is but -shrugs- I suppose this new world is more like those small towns that have more than one actual business and things to do around it that I have to drive to get to. We'll see how it is when the map is actually unveiled and how gameplay goes.

And that's why Strangerville is one of my favorite worlds. It has that vibe of near aboslutely nothing to do expect one big thing that keeps the town alive, in that case, being the military base nearby.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I agree. Every pack kind of has a cultural theme. No one complains why was komorebi a Japan theme? Why was Jungle Adventure a South American theme? Why was Sulani a native islander theme? Etc. Etc. So what's wrong with an American themed pack? I'm not even a native American and I see nothing wrong with this. I understand everyone wants to be "represented" these days but
    It's impossible to represent every country in one little school pack. It would have been a mess of mixed up cultures all trying to be packed into one and that's not a good look IMO.
    Precisely, we have packs that are base on specific cultures.Saying that we shouldn't have specific American things in packs.Because not every has them.To me is not representation
    Your right they could not be able to represent everyone in a pack.I do think we more customization lots and other things.

Snowy Escape, Jungle Adventure, and Island Living are specific destination packs. The theme of each of those packs is the location. It makes sense for those packs to feature a world that lets you explore that destination, its culture, and the events you might experience in in that location.

Education is a worldwide concept. The theme of the pack is not about a location. Since this is likely to be the only education pack for teenagers, it's cutting out people who want to play an experience other than "American high school with football and cheerleaders".
    Thetford wrote: »
    😱FEARS😱

😡NAY'S😡

As a Brit who attended a British University, the only things British about Discover University is the town and the kebab pizza. Everything else about the pack is American. We don't have "majors" with electives and GPAs, our professors are called lecturers, our halls of residence (not "dorms") do not have shared bedrooms or lack kitchens, or share the bathroom with the rest of the floor, collegiate sports aren't a path to professional sports, we don't have institutes of technology but rather former polytechnics, there is just so much that is American that I'm sure the pack would have better themed by being set in a Boston style world with a Harvard/MIT rivalry. It just makes it all the more jarring. They were never going to do a British University pack, given how they have zero experience of the British University experience, and I wouldn't want it to, nor should you as it it translates less than the American experience due to American media which the 2 and 3 version parodied.

I feel that when they made Discover University, they stripped out everything from the 2 and 3 which they thought was explicitly American, such as Greek houses, toga parties, letterman's, and other American college activities such as the counter culture, hackey sack on the quad, college rock etc to make it less US centric, and replaced it with nothing (because, as it turns out, the international college experience isn't that universal) and to compensate made the academic side (which was NEVER the core focus of the previous university packs) more tedious, not by making it more in depth, but by making the stuff we did in previous packs (homework, study, write term paper) more frequent and take longer.

Oh my gosh.I did not know .This is berth informative.As for college in the USA the dorm situation confuse me.We do have college apartments that have kitchens.Thoes cost more and for dorms.You can have a single room , it cost more.We do have a dinning hall.Which is a cafeteria that you pay or have meal plans.For bathrooms we do not share it with the whole floor. We do share them with suit mates and roommates.

Snowy Escape, Jungle Adventure, and Island Living are specific destination packs. The theme of each of those packs is the location. It makes sense for those packs to feature a world that lets you explore that destination, its culture, and the events you might experience in in that location.

Education is a worldwide concept. The theme of the pack is not about a location. Since this is likely to be the only education pack for teenagers, it's cutting out people who want to play an experience other than "American high school with football and cheerleaders".

The pack is a teen pack that why it's called high school years.Also what about Winderberg, and the country world which were base on Europe or uk.Also snowy escape and sulani are not destination worlds.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    @Babykittyjade I agree. Theres such a weird obsession right now with trying to make everything gender-neutral its getting odd. I never think about gender when i think about football. And theres nothing wrong with an American focused dlc. What if you have a sim whos want a american style school for your storytelling AND they still use dlc from other expansions too? They arent seperate.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    Thetford wrote: »
    😱FEARS😱

😡NAY'S😡

I mean yeah, Swedish University / "High School" (the Swedish name for Technical Institutes is "Technical High School" just to add to the confusion; like "Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan" our main Building / Concrete / Steel Engineering Technical Institute would in direct translation be "Royal Technical Highschool" :smile: ) does not have many dorms anymore, they went out of fashion 30 years ago and most students live in small apartments with maybe a common shower area but with individual bathrooms but most often simply a small studio apartment with low standard equipment. (The idea of "no cooking in the dorms" is totally and utterly bonkers to a Swede). And again, no sport teams connected to the schools, be it high school or university. If you do sports, it's in the local sports team in the division where you qualify and has nothing to do with the school. But you do have Student Nations (aka basically "houses") but you don't live there, you just join one that caters to your interests and go there for cheap beer and parties (yes, the student houses in Swedish universities have the right to sell strong alcohol beverages).

I love the "British" town, especially the canals, but yeah looking at it closely it is so obviously two American universities, not British ones.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    The pack is a teen pack that why it's called high school years.Also what about Winderberg, and the country world which were base on Europe or uk.Also snowy escape and sulani are not destination worlds.

I referred to them as 'destination packs' because the packs are about those locations - not in the "destination world" sense of Granite Falls/Selvadorada.

Cottage Living is set in the UK, but farming can be done on any lot in any world when you add cows/chickens/soil. Unless a high school lot type is available for any world, active high school is tied to Copperdale. A high school lot you can place anywhere would be an improvement, but most of the things they've added are still mostly only valid for a US high school experience.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Swimming would have been a nice sport activity and open to all genders. Or ice hockey.

Both are also separated by gender. If I recall, the only sports were men don't have an advantage is long distance marathon running (the longer the distance, the smaller the gap is). Or sports were the competitors don't physically compete with each other, like equestrian, or chess and darts.

And ice hockey is just as exclusive, to very northern nations. At my university, the only sport that was more expensive to participate in than ice hockey was polo (IE, horse croquet popular with royals). In addition, it would've required a full ice rink and everything.

I highly doubt we are going to get full American football games, the game has a hard cap of 20 on the number of Sims in a neighborhood active at once. That isn't enough for the players on the field, let alone the players off the field, the coaching staff, ref, linemen, the cheersquad and the audience. We are, unfortunately not going to experience the "epic highs and epic lows of high school football". Sorry Archiekins, they would've shown it in the trailer if they put that much work in to it.

What we are going to get is what we got in Discover University: some drills you can do on the field, (I'm guessing in this case, some passing drills, maybe some tackling drills, running laps) while the games are all away in rabbit holes.

I hope in vain we have more than football, cheer, chess and computer club based on what additional packs we have (such as debate, robotics, drama, etc) but I have a strong feeling that it isn't going to happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top