Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2022
    At first blush, the pack looks cool. However, I'm not sure how much of that trailer represents what will actually happen in game. I have so many questions.

Things that I like/love:

• Shaving.
    • New ways to sit.
    • Pillow fights. (I hope that they can happen on single beds and with other age groups.)
    • Cheer practice. (Please let there be a transparent swatch for the mat.)
    • Football.
    • Jogging on a track? It would be great if a jogging path loops around the school track.
    • Great hair options with nice hairlines.
    • Photo booth. Welcome back!
    • Sneaking out -- if the mechanic isn't attached to that window and ladder. City teens want to sneak out, too.
    • The clothes rack that the Sim is browsing through!
    • A new kiss type, I think? ::fingers crossed::
    • The sun motif window curtains.

Disappointments and more questions:
    • The world looks boring. Lately, all of the worlds are the same little hamlets tucked in among the evergreens and/or abandoned industry. May we please see something new?
    • I don't care for the design of the school. I hope that the building can be customized.
    • Does the school exist in yet another dimensional pocket, separate from the rest of the world?
    • Does every kid from every world share the same high school? If so, that's a terrible idea.
    • The animated Ferris wheel makes the fair grounds look so exciting. However, the reality of the fair is not only disappointing, it's a bit mean of a mean joke, at the players' expense. :/:(
    • I worry that functional rides, arcade machines, and carnival games will be upcoming in some other pack.
    • The "promposal" animation is a silly reuse of a preexisting animation.
    • The pants legs keep creeping higher and higher.
    • There's still no mall (multipurpose lot) for the kids to hang out in?
    • The new sitting animations seem to be for the phone or homework. What about laptops and game consoles? Plus, the kneeling on the bed animation is really awkward. (All of the kneeling animations are, to be honest.)
    • Other than the trellis ladder and hanging chair, I'm not keen on the style of the build/buy items.
    • As I feared, the body hair doesn't look so hot.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    The trailer made me want to rewatch Glee, something I've managed to avoid for years now.
  • MsMayMsMay Posts: 440 Member
    Not confirm, Iโ€™m guessing few interacting objects for teen (or not) sims that we didnโ€™t see in the trailer:

Teen sims drink from the water fountain in hallway or outside the school.

Teen sims canโ€™t carry backpacks on their back, whatever you want them to do.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Cynna wrote: ยป
    At first blush, the pack looks cool. However, I'm not sure how much of that trailer represents what will actually happen in game. I have so many questions.

• The animated Ferris wheel makes the fair grounds look so exciting. However, the reality of the fair is not only disappointing, it's a bit mean of a mean joke, at the players' expense. :/:(

The fair ground is not too big, more like the fishing pier in Brindleton Bay. I'm not happy that the rides are rabbitholes, but at least there's ice-cream and bubble tea stands so there's something to do in the area. People sing praise to TS3 and it's rabbit holes but maybe now they can see how bad they are compared to useable objects.

GXMRAuR.jpg
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    What I don't understand: for the last years the Sims was all about diversity and then they add so stereotype sports like football and cheerleading to the game. Wouldn't unisex sports be better like swimming, tennis or running. There are so many popular sports all over the world which are not associated to a specific sex.

How can a sport be a stereotype? ๐Ÿคจ

I'm from europe and I only know american highschools from tv shows and movies. Maybe there are female football player and male cheerleader but usually football is a very male sport and cheerleading is very female. I've never heard about a women's football legue or a cheerleading competition for men. In tv shows it's often about the good looking male football player and the very pretty female cheerleader falling in love. This is the stereotype even if I know it might be not the real life. It isn't the same with other sports.
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member

Hmm, the body hair thing sounds fun but not enough to cover an expansion.

Body hair will be a base-game update before the release of this pack, so everyone gets that anyway!

I did notice *one* thing that they are doing to make teens look more teen-like (I think). I spotted a kid with pretty severe acne in the trailer, so maybe teen acne is coming back. Teeth braces would be another thing that would make them look youthful, wonder if that will become an option?

I also use the shorter teens mod and really love how that makes them stand out as different from adults.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2022
    What I don't understand: for the last years the Sims was all about diversity and then they add so stereotype sports like football and cheerleading to the game. Wouldn't unisex sports be better like swimming, tennis or running. There are so many popular sports all over the world which are not associated to a specific sex.

I'm from europe and I only know american highschools from tv shows and movies. Maybe there are female football player and male cheerleader but usually football is a very male sport and cheerleading is very female. I've never heard about a women's football legue or a cheerleading competition for men. In tv shows it's often about the good looking male football player and the very pretty female cheerleader falling in love. This is the stereotype even if I know it might be not the real life. It isn't the same with other sports.

Yeah but the sport itself isnt a stereotype or a negative? The stereotype may be a female 'queen bee' who is like cheerleading captian but thats not on the sport itself its just a part of the clichรฉ. Sorry I just didnt like the way your comment sounded intitally it sounded like blaming a sport or considering it negative because it may be seperated by gender, the sport itself is nothing wrong. There are male and female cheerleaders. For some sports it is seperated by sex because of biological differences which makes sense. However in the sims those kind of differences dont exist, so I doubt the game wont let a female sim play football in a team. It also doesnt sound very diverse to exclude a sport in a video games because in real life it may be seperated by sex when playing in teams. Not all seperation is discrimination. Besides. There are women who enjoy football and men who enjoy cheer.
    Post edited by StrawberryYogurt on
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

I failed to see how that is stereotyping , or sexist.Because that is how it is in real life .Its true they are no male cheerleading squads.Because most guys are not interested in cheerleading.Why they are cases female football team's.Thoes are rare, probably because how taxing the game is.They pick these things, because these are most common in America schools.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member

Hmm, the body hair thing sounds fun but not enough to cover an expansion.

Body hair will be a base-game update before the release of this pack, so everyone gets that anyway!

I did notice *one* thing that they are doing to make teens look more teen-like (I think). I spotted a kid with pretty severe acne in the trailer, so maybe teen acne is coming back. Teeth braces would be another thing that would make them look youthful, wonder if that will become an option?

I also use the shorter teens mod and really love how that makes them stand out as different from adults.
    I expect the acne face details from Parenthood to become base game in an update, probably the 'teen facial hair' from that pack too.
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I expect the acne face details from Parenthood to become base game in an update, probably the 'teen facial hair' from that pack too.

What I'm wondering, though, is if this pack will cause teens to autonomously develop acne that can be treated, like we had in Sims 2 (and 3? I didn't play that one so I don't know), rather than just being a detail we can add in CAS.

My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    I wish that ferries wheel was playable so that I can see my sims in motion. To bad it's just for show :/
    What about skateboards?
    edited July 2022

The fair ground is not too big, more like the fishing pier in Brindleton Bay. I'm not happy that the rides are rabbitholes, but at least there's ice-cream and bubble tea stands so there's something to do in the area. People sing praise to TS3 and it's rabbit holes but maybe now they can see how bad they are compared to useable objects.

GXMRAuR.jpg

I understood the distaste for rabbit holes in TS3. Yet, TS4 has taken them to a whole other level. The entire carnival (3 attractions) is a rabbit hole. The only things that can be used are the same food kiosks that keep popping up in every EP/GP. There are no carnival games, no new arcade machines, no functional rides. As someone who really wanted an amusement park, the carnival portion of the pack is a bitter disappointment.

I have a feeling that rides and games may appear, years down the line. Yet, will players be able to add them to the existing fair ground? Judging from past experience with TS4 (playgrounds), the answer is probably no.

There's just nothing to do at the fairgrounds that couldn't have already been simulated without the pack. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLnpUI9ppis

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited July 2022
    ๐Ÿ˜ฑFEARS๐Ÿ˜ฑ
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Periods not being included in "sims now hitting puberty. That would be a very hurtful statement. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ (hoping for at least a moodlet once in awhile!)
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ No clubs for Art / Music / Drama / Creativity? I really hope they just haven't mentioned it yet.
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ That the pack would be a nightmare for rotational players (ugh University! The game filling up your school with random NPC teens / your sims graduating on their own!)
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Not possible to assign which sims that should work as teachers / principal (like the Scott's in CoL! I can never play them bc they would lose their role ๐Ÿ˜“)

๐Ÿ˜กNAY'S๐Ÿ˜ก
    ๐Ÿ˜ญ The school is very americanized, and most of the problem is the sports. Football and Cheerleading are very american sports. I haven't seen these activites outside US, I don't think we even have it in the part of the world where I come from. I would have prefered something more generic / worldwide known for a School pack (The kids from Mt komorebi / Windenburg / Tartosa will look like they're on an exchange year in US). They could have made something like a SWIMMING TEAM. Made swimming into a separate skill and expanded on it. Added the option to race with another sim and have interactive swimming competitions (that we could watch, not just sending your sim to a rabbit hole!). Or expanded on Soccer with soccer goals and interactive matches (with just 3 Sims / team). Maybe updated this for University so we could watch + interact at soccer games.
    ๐Ÿ˜ญ Teens looking like adults! (The height! Fullgrown before puberty... what?). Hoping for a pack in the future: ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOLS YEARS with focus on growing up, CHILDHOOD and introducing the NEW LIFESTATE PRE-TEENS
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

GXMRAuR.jpg

I understood the distaste for rabbit holes in TS3. Yet, TS4 has taken them to a whole other level. The entire carnival (3 attractions) is a rabbit hole. The only things that can be used are the same food kiosks that keep popping up in every EP/GP. There are no carnival games, no new arcade machines, no functional rides. As someone who really wanted an amusement park, the carnival portion of the pack is a bitter disappointment.

I have a feeling that rides and games may appear, years down the line. Yet, will players be able to add them to the existing fair ground? Judging from past experience with TS4 (playgrounds), the answer is probably no.

There's just nothing to do at the fairgrounds that couldn't have already been simulated without the pack.

Would have been nice if we had one or two useable lots instead of the horror house and tunnel of love attractions, to make them into a shop or restaurant, maybe even add the arcade machine and the play mat. As it is I am not sure how sims will enjoy this place during winter, it will be freezing cold with nowhere warm to go to as everything is outside.
    @crocobaura That's a good point.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    ๐Ÿ˜ฑFEARS๐Ÿ˜ฑ
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Periods not being included in "sims now hitting puberty. That would be a very hurtful statement. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ (hoping for at least a moodlet once in awhile!)
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ No clubs for Art / Music / Drama / Creativity? I really hope they just haven't mentioned it yet.
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ That the pack would be a nightmare for rotational players (ugh University! The game filling up your school with random NPC teens / your sims graduating on their own!)
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Not possible to assign which sims that should work as teachers / principal (like the Scott's in CoL! I can never play them bc they would lose their role ๐Ÿ˜“)

๐Ÿ˜กNAY'S๐Ÿ˜ก
    ๐Ÿ˜ญ The school is very americanized, and most of the problem is the sports.
    Football and Cheerleading are very american sports (and also very gender-associated as someone else mentioned). I haven't seen these activites outside US, I don't think we even have it in the part of the world where I come from. I would have prefered something like a SWIMMING TEAM. They could have made swimming into a separate skill and expanded on it. They could have made it possible to race with another sim and have interactive swimming competitions (that we could watch, not just sending your sim to a rabbit hole!).
    ๐Ÿ˜ญ Teens looking like adults! (The height! Fullgrown before puberty... what?). Hoping for a pack in the future: ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOLS YEARS with focus on growing up, CHILDHOOD and introducing the NEW LIFESTATE PRE-TEENS

What's wrong with it being Americanized? I understand people want more representation of other areas.Which is fair and good.I don't think it means we should not have certain things because it's American.The university pack was more ukamd this pack is more American.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    My first thought while watching the trailer was "what kind of high schooler has a full on double bed?" lol I had a really small twin bed when I was in high school.

I had one once I was a teen and the older sisters moved out so I actually had my own room. There was a double because we had to share a room (all five kids) so one set of bunkbeds, one double & baby brother in a crib. Once an addition was built my two older sisters got the double in their own room. Oh and one bathroom.
    Oh and of course my baby brother got his own room as soon as possible. No favortism for the only boy. Hmmm

Heh, Room sizes in general are so... large anyway. Like again Swedish houses tend to be one size smaller than American anyway, but in Sims terms... I don't think I had a single friend that didn't have a room that was a "4x3" or at max "4x4" room, in Sims terms. So "No double bed" would be the obvious choice if you wanted your own desk, your own computer and your own TV in your room.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    ๐Ÿ˜ฑFEARS๐Ÿ˜ฑ

๐Ÿ˜กNAY'S๐Ÿ˜ก
    Football and Cheerleading are very american sports (and also very gender-associated as someone else mentioned). I haven't seen these activites outside US, I don't think we even have it in the part of the world where I come from. I would have prefered something like a SWIMMING TEAM. They could have made swimming into a separate skill and expanded on it. They could have made it possible to race with another sim and have interactive swimming competitions (that we could watch, not just sending your sim to a rabbit hole!).

What's wrong with it being Americanized? I understand people want more representation of other areas.Which is fair and good.I don't think it means we should not have certain things because it's American.The university pack was more ukamd this pack is more American.

Nothing is wrong with it being Americanized. But it's lack of representation and give less opportunities for players to tell their stories. I'm very happy for when the team trying to be more inclusive.
    edited July 2022

It is part of the "American Highschool" thing, which for most of us is an unknown mystery we only know about thru Hollywood gems like Fast Times at Richmond High, Breakfast Club, or if you want to be totally non-PC Porky's (Not completely SFW) or Revenge Of The Nerds.

Or Buffy, of course. I suspect most Simmers younger than me would site Buffy, Gilmore Girls or Dawson's Creek as their "oh so this is how American Highschool works" experience, not classical 80s highschool movies.

Anyway, "American Football" is part of the "American" stereotype for the rest of the world simply because nobody else in the world care about it or knows how to play it.

Edit: Checking the blurb for the pack and apparently I have never had an "iconic teen experience" ever :wink:
    ๐Ÿ˜ฑFEARS๐Ÿ˜ฑ

๐Ÿ˜กNAY'S๐Ÿ˜ก

Nothing is wrong with it being Americanized. But it's lack of representation and give less opportunities for players to tell their stories. I'm very happy for when the team trying to be more inclusive.

How is represented things are a lack of representation?How can you not be able to tell the story you want because these are included?I don't think any of this is mandatory.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I'm American, and I think there are lots of stereotypes associated with football and cheerleading. Sometimes this is because of television and movies. Sometimes because of bullying in real life by someone who was involved in one of those activities.

It is not that they are heavily gendered that is the problem. We should be able to appreciate the strengths of both genders. It is more that they are seen, rightly or wrongly, as elitist. These are teams you have to try out for and only a small percentage make it. So it can lead to those groups perceiving themselves as superior if sports are the only after school option.

That is not so much of a problem if there are other activities that students can try out for like band, or glee and drama clubs. If there are school publishing ventures like a newspaper or website. Maybe a yearbook. And if students can find an outlet like a DnD group or some other interest group. And, yes, lifetime sports like tennis and swimming. Basically if everyone has a chance to find that thing they are good at and the group they want to hang with.

I hope the new pack will have the ability for us to form our own after school clubs and activities. A lot will depend on cross pack compatibility. Maybe we can have some students practicing soccer on the field. Maybe we can add a basketball goal or a swimming pool. Hopefully we can set up a few easels or have some musical instruments to practice.

I guess the chances are pretty slim of us getting DnD animations though. So sad! Guess we can't reenact Stranger Things.
    I hope we get more activities and clubs.
    ๐Ÿ˜ฑFEARS๐Ÿ˜ฑ

๐Ÿ˜กNAY'S๐Ÿ˜ก

How is represented things are a lack of representation?How can you not be able to tell the story you want because these are included?I don't think any of this is mandatory.

Not sure what you mean. But in my opinion it had been a better choice to include activities that are not only centered around US (American football and Cheerleading). That would open up the possibilites to create more diverse stories in my meaning.
    We should be able to appreciate the strengths of both genders. It is more that they are seen, rightly or wrongly, as elitist. These are teams you have to try out for and only a small percentage make it.

This is one reason I find them so weird (and apparently the other way around, I have told before how American expats here in Sweden are very confused because we don't have school sport teams or debate teams or whatever).
    For me it's like "What do you mean not everyone who wants to play is allowed to"?
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member

It'll be impossible for someone to tell the story of going to school in Mt Komorebi, or Windenburg, which would not have a typical "American" school experience. Even players whose sims live in American locations such as Strangerville/Oasis Springs/Sulani will probably find it weird for their sims to commute to school in Copperdale.

The best thing would have been a "school" lot type so players could build one in any world they wanted. And school activities or sports that aren't tied so heavily to one specific culture/country would have allowed more players to tell the stories they want.

This is not the equivalent of a sandbox. This is a sandbox where the sand castle is already 90% built.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top