Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    The Sims 4 has never been and will never be a "realistic" life simulator. If it were a "Realistic" life simulator here's some things that would already be going on in the game. <snip>

The Sims is a family life simulator. It is a Vampire life simulator. Its a single parent life simulator. Its an alien with 5 hot human boyfriends life simulator. Its ANY life simulator we want it to be! It is NOT strictly realistic!

@InuMiroLover I agree with you, this is the reason I love the sims in all its iterations, because it can be (almost) anything you want it to be. Your post has led me to ponder on things. Of course the sims is not realistic, although I use mods to make it as much so as I can. Thanks to your post, I'm thinking I'm no longer going to call myself a realism player. Maybe non-occult would fit better, or non-fantastical elements or something. :smile: But I'm puzzled that your opinion is unpopular, are there that many folks raging against non-realistic elements in the game? Maybe I'm reading the wrong threads. The majority of the players in the threads I read seem to be asking for more and more occults, (which is awesome, no problems with that here), and everyone seems fine with it.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2021
    @FatTribble23

This kind of complaint tends to occur whenever occult content appears. Now, if you're a player that prefers and enjoys realistic play then that's completely fine! But Ive seen enough "we dont need occult content because THIS IS A LIFE SIMULATOR" to make me bang my head against the wall. It very strongly implies that the game has always been a realistic life simulator, when its not the case. Yeah, there's alot of real life stuff going on, but there's also alot of unrealistic stuff going on constantly throughout a play session and Im not just talking about vampires or mermaids showing up.

Getting into a high paying career without any sort of formal education first?

Randomly having a huge amount of money coming from nowhere that's apparently enough to build a small but livable home?

A pregnancy that's shorter than an irl human's average menstrual cycle?

Being able to tell the same dumb jokes to someone and become lifelong ride or die best friends within minutes?

Waving crafted objects into the ether was selling them?

Now I know that its things like this that gives the sims' its charm. And that's fine. But its still situations like that that remind you that the game's isnt entirely following what we perceive as "realistic". If you ask me, a vampire at my doorstep is just as unrealistic as me playing chess for an hour, and suddenly Im qualified to become a general practitioner. The game is indeed a life simulator, but it was never a strictly realistic one in the first place. "Unrealistic" content has as much a right to exist alongside realistic content since the game already offers numerous ways to create any kind of scenario and live it out. That's the beauty of it and why we still play. So if I want to play the life of domestic vampire family, or a celebrity influencer who's also a secret crime boss, or an alien who's in a constant convoluted love octagon because they have too many hot human boyfriends, then the game is gonna let me do that. Im gonna simulate whatever life I dream up.

• DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    I think that they can still make sims 4 better without a sims 5
  • AninaBeanaAninaBeana Posts: 37 Member
    Unpopular Opinion: Adding cars to the Sims 4 won't make Sims 4 better as a whole, the game has lots of errors that probably won't ever be resolved
    Feel free to add me on the Origin gallery: AninaBeana

saAJtJq.gif
  • intothehorizoneintothehorizone Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2021
    sort of piggybacking off the last opinion stated, but i don't really want cars in ts4.

most of the lots ingame are "closed world" (for lack of a better term - although i personally don't mind a closed world game) so you'd likely just drive up to the edge and and then vanish. plus if they're anything like the bikes in university/the boats in IL, they'd be fairly situational and probably not worth it in the long run. (not to mention that i also worry that, like bikes, your sims might try to use them everywhere, even when unnecessary.)
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Here's one for the forums.

I think some of the posters in the, "what happened in your Game today - the NONE SERIAL VERSION" thread, should read the thread title and the post explaining the intent of the thread.

It's becoming just like the other one.

Both of those threads scare me. I’m awful at telling stories or explaining what’s happening. :D
  • AninaBeanaAninaBeana Posts: 37 Member
    @XxTigertailxX I completely agree! I feel like implementing cars into TS4 would involve a HUGE update that will be loaded with tons of bugs. And as I stated, adding cars to TS4 won't fix any of the underlying issues the game has as a collective, if anything, it could make the game worse.
    Feel free to add me on the Origin gallery: AninaBeana

saAJtJq.gif
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    What's so great about Open Worlds anyway? They put a huge weight on the computer, no matter what power you have.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Also, what's so great about a specific Cemetery Lot? We have a new career that creates haunted houses, and we can possibly turn our built lots into them with a little imagination to hope for a random job.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    @FatTribble23

This kind of complaint tends to occur whenever occult content appears. Now, if you're a player that prefers and enjoys realistic play then that's completely fine! But Ive seen enough "we dont need occult content because THIS IS A LIFE SIMULATOR" to make me bang my head against the wall. It very strongly implies that the game has always been a realistic life simulator, when its not the case. Yeah, there's alot of real life stuff going on, but there's also alot of unrealistic stuff going on constantly throughout a play session and Im not just talking about vampires or mermaids showing up.

@InuMiroLover Thanks for the thoughtful answer. I guess I am reading the wrong threads! I suppose this is my unpopular opinion then: I think it's incredibly selfish for not wanting another player or players to get what they want because you think it's not fitting. Who are you to decide? Perhaps I'm naive, but I've always just wanted everyone to get along, in the Sims community and RL. Talk about unrealistic! :D But I have this to say to those out there who feel that way: Why not do as I do and when the occult packs come out, try not buying them? Wait patiently for the next one, which likely will be something that appeals to more "realistic" players? Use mods to adjust what you don't like in the packs you just had to have, like me with Get to Work and aliens. MCCC will do SO many things, and it will NOT break your game!

I also use smaller mods to correct "unrealistic" things, like having Sims have to buy groceries before they can cook, or Scarlet's SimCity Loans so that no sim gets a fudging free house, and also doesn't have to save up to buy the house of their dreams. As long as you can make the loan payment, go for it.

Obviously you're correct that everything can't be "fixed" to make it thoroughly realistic. I still haven't figured out a way to make woefully under qualified sims stop getting jobs. Although I am so pleased that Sims 4 made it a lot harder for your sims to get ridiculously rich from jobs alone. Me likes that.

Okay, ducking the bricks I now think are going to start flying. :(
    HcmCUds.jpg
    edited January 2021
    @AninaBeana @XxTigertailxX Cars are a terrible idea. What the heck would be the point? I also don't want open worlds, Sims 3 and it's #*^% open world ate 2 laptops of mine before I grew up and decided to actually research the specs (I'm old, I didn't know these things then). Even with a better computer S3 still ran like poo. I shudder to think of the nightmare cascade of bugs that would come with the implementation of cars in a game that totally doesn't need them.
    HcmCUds.jpg
  • DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    edited February 2021
    [ @InuMiroLover said:
    The Sims 4 has never been and will never be a "realistic" life simulator. If it were a "Realistic" life simulator here's some things that would already be going on in the game.

~Your sim will not be befriending, falling in love, and marrying the sim of their dreams all in under a week.

~Your sim isnt getting into even the first level of ALOT of careers in the game without going to college first. Just playing chess to level up your Logic just wont cut it for medical school honey! Also your sim has to actually get accepted into school, rather than just not getting into the program of their choice.

~Speaking of work your sims isnt likely getting the job the moment they get off the phone. Send in a resume, MAYBE you'll get the first interview, MAYBE a callback, and MAYBE a second interview, and then maybe JUST MAYBE, the boss will call to say that you got the job, rather than to try again in 6 months. (But they have your resume on file so that's okay! ;) )

~Your sim getting a random 20k when they first start off? HA. Where'd that money come from? Maybe it was from a rich family auntie? Or was it a LOAN from the bank that you're gonna have to pay back? With interest?

~Also, your sim isnt coming home with a paycheck everyday. Once weekly or bi-weekly, with a varying amount of money taken out for taxes. That 2k check your sim just got? How lovely, but that's not your sim's take home pay. After deductions your sim gets about 1,500.

~Also, lets say that your sim isnt doing too well financially. Well, its real cute that the only thing they have to worry about is the power/water being cut and the repo man taking something away. But in real life, not paying the rent makes the landlord throw you out. And not paying the mortgage makes you default on your loans, the company that loaned you the house takes ownership of it, and then throws you out.

And I know some users will say "well that's too realistic!" Well, you cant be asking for a more realistic game (the same game that never said it was in the first place) if all you want is just "perfect suburban utopia" and not have any of these very real scenarios that happen in real life.

The Sims is a family life simulator. It is a Vampire life simulator. Its a single parent life simulator. Its an alien with 5 hot human boyfriends life simulator. Its ANY life simulator we want it to be! It is NOT strictly realistic! ]

someone should make a mod to do this with a toggle on/off extra realism. That would be interesting and make it less boring.
    Post edited by Dragonmasterleo on
  • mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    I really don't like ts3 and I think I like ts2 just because of nostalgia, but I can't play it anymore, having played ts4, because it feels clunky and I just can't get into it - sorry because I know my words will hurt people's souls
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't want 'better babies'

I am in this boat as well. Better babies are not on my list because babies are boring. Would be be cute if we could carry them around, put them in strollers or change them on a changing table? Yes. Does that make me want to play with them more? No. I'd much rather see changing tables, strollers or any other baby related activity/object be added onto toddlers because they are fun, cute, and most of all don't require another sim for them to do literally anything.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    I don't want 'better babies'

I am in this boat as well. Better babies are not on my list because babies are boring. Would be be cute if we could carry them around, put them in strollers or change them on a changing table? Yes. Does that make me want to play with them more? No. I'd much rather see changing tables, strollers or any other baby related activity/object be added onto toddlers because they are fun, cute, and most of all don't require another sim for them to do literally anything.

I'm in this boat as well for all of the reasons you listed, tbh I do miss that you can't do much with babies, like walking around with them. However, it used to irk the schniz out of me when guests in my sims homes or even my own sims for that matter, would take the baby out of the cot and then set them down ON THE FLOOR! Like what? You put the baby back in the cot, not on the floor you ninny. So in that respect, I'm glad the babies are tied to their bassinets, because at least my sim doesn't put them on the floor for no gosh darn reason.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I don't care anything about better babies, either. I accept that babies have to exist in some form in a life simulator (even a not-real-life one). It's just that I've never found any baby to be anything but creepy in any game I've played in which babies existed. And I mean any kind of game, not just simulators, and I mean well-done models as well as terrible ones. I have my baby life stage duration set to one day for a reason. That's about as long as I can stand to have one around.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    However, it used to irk the schniz out of me when guests in my sims homes or even my own sims for that matter, would take the baby out of the cot and then set them down ON THE FLOOR! Like what? You put the baby back in the cot, not on the floor you ninny. So in that respect, I'm glad the babies are tied to their bassinets, because at least my sim doesn't put them on the floor for no gosh darn reason.

I know the fact that babies tied to the bassinet annoys ppl because it makes them feel less like sims and more like objects but thinking about this and how sims leaving babies on the floor even at venues, ts3, was so annoying and such a issue maybe they tied them to bassinets for that reason? Something to think about.
    edited January 2021
    Better Babies are needed but there's no rush, after all they are a very brief lifestate. Even if you could play as them, how many actual abilities would they have until they're Toddlers?

Babies can scream and laugh when they want something, and that's about it. Babies will still mostly be objects for your Sims to react to and teach.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Better Babies are needed but there's no rush, after all they are a very brief lifestate. Even if you could play as them, how many actual abilities would they have until they're Toddlers?

Babies can scream and laugh when they want something, and that's about it. Babies will still mostly be objects for your Sims to react to and teach.

Exactly, babies as they are in no dire need of a "realistic update" especially since, as you said, that they're an extremely brief life state. So the demand for "free the babies" seems so mundane for such a short state.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

They aren’t even real sims. This is unacceptable to me. I want them to resemble their parents and not have some generic object appearance. I want items for them, changing tables, swing chairs, bouncy chairs etc and more realistic interactions. Sims should not be putting the baby back in the bassinet between every single interaction. It’s silly, unrealistic and time wasting. I want sims to be able to walk around the house holding a baby or to sit on a chair and rock them to sleep.

I play with my game set on the longest life setting and I don’t age anybody up early including babies. They are babies in my game for around around 8 to 10 days. I want those days to be better and more involved. I want my babies to be more like babies and less like objects. I’m a family player and I very much enjoy the challenge of taking care of the little family members.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    However, it used to irk the schniz out of me when guests in my sims homes or even my own sims for that matter, would take the baby out of the cot and then set them down ON THE FLOOR! Like what? You put the baby back in the cot, not on the floor you ninny. So in that respect, I'm glad the babies are tied to their bassinets, because at least my sim doesn't put them on the floor for no gosh darn reason.

I know the fact that babies tied to the bassinet annoys ppl because it makes them feel less like sims and more like objects but thinking about this and how sims leaving babies on the floor even at venues, ts3, was so annoying and such a issue maybe they tied them to bassinets for that reason? Something to think about.

They can code that to prevent the sims carrying the baby to just drop the baby on the ground, if they have another family member present they can transfer the baby if the sims wanted to do something with both of their hands, having a baby tied to bassinet was just going to an extreme level, just like they removed the open world altogether instead of improving it to play nice with most pc.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2021
    - Diverse appearance is more important to me at creating unique sims than coded personalities. Sims 3 premades have more personality in their code but they all look exactly the same so none of them feel remotely unique or interesting.

- I don't want a chemistry or attraction system, at all. If they added it I would turn it off instantly or look for a mod to get rid of it.

- I don't want create a style. It was nice on paper but my game almost crashed every time I tried to use it. Plus most the time when I tried to use it to match wood swatches the colour came out totally different on different items.

- I really couldn't care less about farming. I wouldn't buy it if it came out.

- Sims 4 Closed World > Sims 3 Open World

- I love rabbit holes. They're the biggest thing I miss from Sims 3.
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »
    Here's one for the forums.

I think some of the posters in the, "what happened in your Game today - the NONE SERIAL VERSION" thread, should read the thread title and the post explaining the intent of the thread.

It's becoming just like the other one.

Both of those threads scare me. I’m awful at telling stories or explaining what’s happening. :D

You can literally just say, "Bob married Sally today" I"ll still read it :smiley:
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top