The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the weather like where you are?

Comments

• February11February11 Posts: 12,641 Member
    edited January 2021
    sunman502 wrote: »
    We had a few flakes flying around here earlier today which was largely lake effect stuff. Right now it's 30 degrees and cloudy.

Cadbury's flakes? That would have been good! :D
    Sorry, initial thought got me!
    and if you don't have them over there ...
    XQPinH9.png
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Currently 31C and sunny.
    I dragged myself out into the sun, to go to the supermarket, to get salad and ice cream, ready for the next few hot days.
    The forecast rest of the week is for 30's, going into the 40's for the weekend.

Sunny, mid-20s. Perfect for the huge run the dogs just had. It's warming up as the week goes ahead, with Sunday forecast for 41C. That's getting a bit much, so I will stay home that day. Besides, when it's hot, everyone comes down here from all directions and fills up the beach quicker than you can blink, and I can't stand the crowds. I'll head down there after the sun goes down :) Hopefully catch the drink and food vans before they leave. But I'm getting several days ahead of myself, here.
    Aren't you worried about being bit by those annoying little sand flies that you can't see? Here in The States, we call them No See' ems. And yet you know that they are there because they leave little red welts behind after they have bitten you. And they always come out of the sand right at or just after sundown.

We don't tend to have them, but we are heading towards March-fly season. They come out during the day, and they bite. And they're huge, like blow-flies.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited January 2021
    Movotti wrote: »
    Currently 31C and sunny.
    I dragged myself out into the sun, to go to the supermarket, to get salad and ice cream, ready for the next few hot days.
    The forecast rest of the week is for 30's, going into the 40's for the weekend.

Sunny, mid-20s. Perfect for the huge run the dogs just had. It's warming up as the week goes ahead, with Sunday forecast for 41C. That's getting a bit much, so I will stay home that day. Besides, when it's hot, everyone comes down here from all directions and fills up the beach quicker than you can blink, and I can't stand the crowds. I'll head down there after the sun goes down :) Hopefully catch the drink and food vans before they leave. But I'm getting several days ahead of myself, here.
    Aren't you worried about being bit by those annoying little sand flies that you can't see? Here in The States, we call them No See' ems. And yet you know that they are there because they leave little red welts behind after they have bitten you. And they always come out of the sand right at or just after sundown.

We don't tend to have them, but we are heading towards March-fly season. They come out during the day, and they bite. And they're huge, like blow-flies.
    Over here they are about the size of a flee. And they do sometimes come out in the morning just about or just after sunrise.
    weather here: Snow showers and the temp is 34 degrees.
    @sunman502 no, we don't have them. Out the far opposite end of our city, there is a mangrove-type beachside area where I once made the mistake of going at sundown to take the dogs for a walk. There were millions of these little - well, I called them "midges" at the time, but I don't know what they were. They just descended on us and gave us these stinging little bites, and we had to run for the car and get away.

But at my local beach, none.
    They are tiny sand flies. Movotti tells me that they are the size of blow-flies where they are. Which is something that's new to me because I have only known that sand flies were about the size of a flee. Which is why we call them No See' em here because you can't really see them.
    "No See 'Ums! That's classic!
    Horse Flies are pretty painful to be bitten by.
    And I remember midges as a kid in England.
    That aside, it was cloudy and windy again today. It has brightened up this evening, but that's too late to enjoy now. It's TV time!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    It's freaking cold!

@February11 Horse flies... *Shivers* I feel for ya. We get them here but in the summer.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

edited January 2021
    February11 wrote: »
    That aside, it was cloudy and windy again today. It has brightened up this evening, but that's too late to enjoy now. It's TV time!
    Oh yeah! We have horse flies here too.
    Weather here is clear and cold with the temp at 32 degrees.
    If you guys think that horse flies are bad, in which they are. But no where near as bad as scorpion flies are. Scorpion flies are found near bodies of water or wet low lands here. One can be just walking around one of these places in the summer. And before they know it, they have five or more of these scorpion flies flying around their head. And these little monsters bite and bite hard. And they are relentless. So they can follow you for some distance.
    Post edited by sunman502 on
    @sunman502 no, we don't have them. Out the far opposite end of our city, there is a mangrove-type beachside area where I once made the mistake of going at sundown to take the dogs for a walk. There were millions of these little - well, I called them "midges" at the time, but I don't know what they were. They just descended on us and gave us these stinging little bites, and we had to run for the car and get away.

But at my local beach, none.
    They are tiny sand flies. Movotti tells me that they are the size of blow-flies where they are. Which is something that's new to me because I have only known that sand flies were about the size of a flee. Which is why we call them No See' em here because you can't really see them.

@sunman502 - Movotti and myself live in the same city, but different areas of the city. The huge flies he refers to are the ones that I personally refer to as horse flies/march flies (rather than sandflies), but I don't actually know if I am calling the species by its correct name.

But yeah, most of our beaches here don't have either sand flies OR march flies (with the exception of the mangrove area that I referred to earlier - it's a little area called St Kilda, NOT to be confused with the world-famous St Kilda in Melbourne. You wouldn't get sandflies at Melbourne beaches, either :) )
    I'm sure that there some beaches around the world where there are no sandflies. I haven't seen or have been bitten by sandflies on the beaches up near me. But if I go visiting my Aunt that lives along the Gulf coast. The beaches down around her house are just filled with them. That's why you would see a lot of sandpiper birds on the beaches near her house. Sandpipers love to eat sandflies and tiny crabs too.
    edited January 2021
    If you guys think that horse flies are bad, in which they are. But no where near as bad as scorpion flies are. Scorpion flies are found near bodies of water or wet low lands here. One can be just walking around one of these places in the summer. And before they know it, they have five or more of these scorpion flies flying around their head. And these little monsters bite and bite hard. And they are relentless. So they can follow you for some distance.
    They even sound bad. I've never heard of those before :o
    I might go googling!
    It looks nice outside today, but I wouldn't know as I've been at work since 7.30 am, and won't be getting out until 6pm.

EDIT - Those flies look horrible!

MLgj4Vx.png
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    edited January 2021
    If any." March" flies got the idea to bright idea to go outside in March where I live they'd probably end up.frozen.solid.

That's probably why they decide to spend winters in barns residing comfortably under the tails of horses - I presume they have no sense of smell.

Mine prefer to hang out inside under the lampshade scaring my cats with their oversized reflection and deciding who gets to take upside down shots in my Glasses of Coca Cola.

6C up.here and sunny. But scheduled to drop to -3 later in the week. Advised my March flies to stay indoors unless they want to become insect popsicles.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    They even sound bad. I've never heard of those before :o
    I might go googling!
    It looks nice outside today, but I wouldn't know as I've been at work since 7.30 am, and won't be getting out until 6pm.

EDIT - Those flies look horrible!
    Last summer, the scorpion flies weren't thick since last summer was very dry around here. But if we get a wet summer this year, those scorpion flies will be thick as flees around here. Around here horse flies will leave you alone until you try to swat them. But those scorpion flies, man they will attack on site. Scorpion flies attack anything that's warm blooded without fear here, including cats and dogs.
    weather: 36 degrees and clear skies.
    I wonder what purpose these horrible little insects have "in the big scheme of things" apart for to annoy, sting or bite you!
    I don't like killing anything, but I'm afraid these nasties have to go.
    We only really get mozzies here, so I don't have to go on a massive killing spree.
    Spiders are my biggest fear, but my partners job is to remove any that dare to come inside back outside again.

It's hot, hot, hot today! 31c at the moment. Shame I've planned a day on the couch in front of the TV. Got a nice bottle of bubbles chilling in the fridge, so all good!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • kagome2480kagome2480 Posts: 20 Member
    It rained kind of hard this morning. Some days are warm and sunny and other days it feels quite cold.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    43C.
    Can't wait for it to be over.

Movotti and myself live in the same city, but different areas of the city.
    Nah, different cities, same state though. I'm in the little rusty town, whose name is supposed to mean 'deep water' yet our beach is usually only knee high. :/

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif