Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No trash to rummage

troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
Is anyone having trouble finding trash in the cans for sims to rummage for parts? Without fail in Oasis Springs, Bedrock Strait neighborhood you can always find trash in those cans to rummage, regardless of the world and neighborhood your sim lives in.

I am playing Johnny Zest, who lives in that neighborhood and there is no trash in the cans to rummage. Trash is not spawning. Not even in the park which tends to always have trash to rummage.

I do not have Eco Lifestyle.

Anyone else run into this issue?

UPDATE
I entered a bug report. Please Me Too it here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Unable-to-Rummage-in-World-amp-Community-Lot-trash-cans/m-p/9223296#M141520
wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
Post edited by troshalom on

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Yes I have
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Yes. Trash has stopped accumulating in the dumpster and I don't know why. I do have the reuse & recycle lot trait but there's never anything in the dumpster anymore.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    The only time I tried having a SIM dumpster dive, the Sim couldn’t because there was nothing in the dumpster.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Ok, thanks everyone, I'll submit a bug report.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2020
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Yes. Trash has stopped accumulating in the dumpster and I don't know why. I do have the reuse & recycle lot trait but there's never anything in the dumpster anymore.

If it's a lot based dumpster you have to actively generate trash some way to have anything to rummage/dive for.

If you are washing dishes or have the Nano trashcan, for example, you won't generate trash from cleaning up dishes. You would generate trash if you have no sink and throw all the plates away in a regular bin.
    EmmaVane wrote: »

If it's a lot based dumpster you have to actively generate trash some way to have anything to rummage/dive for.

If you are washing dishes or have the Nano trashcan, for example, you won't generate trash from cleaning up dishes. You would generate trash if you have no sink and throw all the plates away in a regular bin.

Yeah, it's a dumpster on a residential lot. What about piles of trash that end up on the ground? My sim picks them up and takes them to a trash can. I assumed that once the regular trash cans fill, the dumpsters would fill. I'm just confused on how it all works.
    @IceyJ are you referring the EL dumpsters or regular trash cans in all of the worlds?
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    I added my experiences with this at the EA Help site.
  • AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    @IceyJ heres what works for me on lot
    - I only have a dumpster in the corner of the lot, no trash can in the house
    - I stop eating just before they finish or try to stop the clean up action, then I manually move the bowl to the dumpster
    - One empty/partial bowl seems to get gets 3-5 dumpsters actions (dive/recycle etc). Multiples create more
    - With my freegan on community lots, I intersperse dive for meals/ingredients every now and again so that I’ve always got something to ‘refill’ the dumpster

Hope that helps!
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    edited June 2020
    @troshalom I know this is a bug because in a game I played in Newcrest. I made a generic dumpster lot next door to my sim's lot. I didn't have to hang out at the generic lot to collect from the dumpsters, I just traveled to the lot after two sim days. I was able to collect from the dumpsters and didn't have to put trash in them to dive or sort for componets, etc.

Eta. The non build able parts in the neighborhoods need both the recycle and landfill traits to rummage in the trash bins.
    edited June 2020
    troshalom wrote: »
    @IceyJ are you referring the EL dumpsters or regular trash cans in all of the worlds?

The actual dumpsters. I was able to rummage in one today, but I'm still not sure what triggered it.
    AliSim19 wrote: »
    @IceyJ heres what works for me on lot
    - I only have a dumpster in the corner of the lot, no trash can in the house
    - I stop eating just before they finish or try to stop the clean up action, then I manually move the bowl to the dumpster
    - One empty/partial bowl seems to get gets 3-5 dumpsters actions (dive/recycle etc). Multiples create more
    - With my freegan on community lots, I intersperse dive for meals/ingredients every now and again so that I’ve always got something to ‘refill’ the dumpster

Hope that helps!

Maybe that's why; I do have a trash can, too. It's outdoors, though. It's always full but the dumpster isn't. I'll try removing it and keeping only the dumpster.
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member

Yeah, it's a dumpster on a residential lot. What about piles of trash that end up on the ground? My sim picks them up and takes them to a trash can. I assumed that once the regular trash cans fill, the dumpsters would fill. I'm just confused on how it all works.

You need to empty the trashcans in to the dumpster, they don’t magically jump over there 😅 despite it being the sims.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
    edited June 2020

You need to empty the trashcans in to the dumpster, they don’t magically jump over there 😅 despite it being the sims.

Oh, really? Lol. I thought that emptying the can just empties it. Now why didn't I think of that? Technically, it does magically jump over there if there are no animations... No wonder I was confused. :D
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    The ECO Living dumpster fill up again after some days.
    Hi Everyone, so I do not have EL expansion pack. I am talking about the trash cans you find around the worlds. Some are on editable lots, like the parks and some are in neighborhoods that can't be edited. You do not need to have a lot trait to rummage in the trash.

Prior to EL patch sims were able to rummage in the trash to get food, parts to upgrade stuff, and voidcritters. Now, after EL that option is broken.
    Trash01.png
    Trash04.png
    Trash03.png
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I've stopped checking random dumpsters for bits and pieces. I just send my sims to the industrial area of EH and use the dumpster on the community space lot. It always has trash. Oh and I use the regular trashcan and dump dishes from eating there which yields a little bit.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 435 Member
    Same here: not finding trash anywhere in the world nowadays.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    no trash in my bins either on community lots. once a child was able to rummage for toys. but my adults dont have the option to rummage at all.
    I wonder if they broke this to force folks to by Eco Lifestyle? I hope not. But almost a year later and it still isn't resolved.
    So I guess I won't be able to play this save since her house burned to the ground, she's homeless and will now starve since she can't rummage for food, etc. Makes rags to riches kinda hard.
    Hobo-Brown.png
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    You generally have to hang out on a community lot for a couple of in game hours before trash generates in the cans, at least that’s been my experience.
    @Pamtastic72 it is broken. They worked before EL came out. You could rummage in all trashcans whether they were on a lot or just in the neighborhood. I have never had to wait several hours for the trash cans to generate trash. The rummage only works for children to get toys, not for teens and adults.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,445 Member
    @troshalom you can shift-click on a dumpster & one of the options is "trash can state". Click on that & you can set how full the dumpster is. Not sure if it will work on regular trash cans, though.
    edited June 2021
    @Pamtastic72 it is broken. They worked before EL came out. You could rummage in all trashcans whether they were on a lot or just in the neighborhood. I have never had to wait several hours for the trash cans to generate trash. The rummage only works for children to get toys, not for teens and adults.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's broken. They could have deliberately changed it in a patch.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,957 Member

Doesn't necessarily mean it's broken. They could have deliberately changed it in a patch.

Maybe they changed it when EL came out?

Is there a limit to how many dumpsters a sim can gather from per day?
    edited June 2021
    @IceyJ it is broken. They are asking for saves, there is a bug report for this.
    @sherisim57 nothing was changed. Also, if there was a limit, them my sim would be able to rummage at least once.
    @Starfree I do not have EL.
    edited to add video
    https://youtu.be/iGv6_UZc3kM
    Post edited by troshalom on