Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Study: How You Play Is Related To Your Mental Health?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
edited September 2017 in Off Topic Chat
Someone should do a study on the connection between the types of scenarios players create in-game and their personal mental health. I think it would be a great read.

Do you think the two could be connected somehow? Could the way you play The Sims be a subtle form of therapy or is it just a game?

Comments

• Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    Well. Considering that I have created Sims, hell a whole neighbourhoods, just to torture/kill them...NO. I don't believe the two can be connected o:)
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited May 2018
    [deleted]
    Post edited by Simpkin on
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    Well. Considering that I have created Sims, plum a whole neighbourhoods, just to torture/kill them...NO. I don't believe the two can be connected o:)

I'm not talking about not the violent themes people create in-game but more so the sad themes, like homeless scenarios or group homes or teens raising younger siblings. These are things that in today's society would be considered tragedies.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I think there is a connection, no doubt.
    Although I dunno how the gameplay would differ.
    I have severe anxiety and agoraphobia and ptsd. I'm not sure it shows in my case, in the game. :D
    I just play a happy little legacy. In my case I feel it's more like...mothering. I wanna take good care of my little people. Feel it's more tied to my personality than my mental health.

Do you think happy people play happy scenarios and sad people play sad ones?
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    I think "sad" people sometimes try to live out a better life in these games. I think the more tragic stories just come from a creative place
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2017
    I think you have asked a really interesting question, @Chazzzy - not that I know the answer. I do suspect, though, that playing the Sims is an escape mechanism and, as such, I imagine that it could be an effective reliever of stress and anxiety. The same can be said of games and sports generally, though.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    its all about a good story conflict what you call tragedy is the base of all good stories it gives the main character something to overcome
    and makes people care what happens to them whether they will make it in life sometimes good vs evil is the conflict sometimes its
    being homeless or any other trouble you can think of
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    I certainly use my Sims to escape the world at times. But, most of the time I create my simself, my family, and my friends in the game and go from there so it tends to be a bit more realistic and certainly happier and more successful than my own life. ha! But then, in the legacy I'm currently playing (which has no "real" people I know in it) I'm playing a vampire slayer. She's only one of a household, though, and the rest of them are pretty normal. And I do miss the days when it was easier to create scenarios that might or might not kill my Sims. It was more exciting and unexpected to me that way. Does that make me violent in some way? I'm not at all violent in real life (except to the occasional annoying inanimate object) so I would be curious to do a study like that.
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    edited September 2017
    I think in some cases it can definitely be a form of escapism. People can create these very controlled environments in the game which is very comforting, I believe, if your own life seems unmanageable. Your sims might not particularly mirror your own circumstances, but even so we are putting them in these worlds where we are fully in control of most everything that goes on. I don't know a lot about psychology, but one thing I do know is that people (especially younger people) tend to focus on certain minuscule controllable aspects of their lives when the rest seems to be out of their hands. Even if we don't realize it, we're all kinda living vicariously through our sims.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    Well all kidding aside and using the Sims as an outlet for homicidal tendencies; I find this question interesting and as for my own playstyle I am all in it for the stories, the character interraction and where it might lead.

I prefer interesting characters that have a varies past, be it a troubled one, an easy one, a strange out of this world one or inbetween and sometimes create a whole household with them to see how they interract.

For instance, I just created a household of emancipated teens I plan on moving into one of the starter home lots; a transgendered character, a funny looking female teen (all ears, nose and eyes) I created just to see how genetics play in future generations and an adolcent alien disguised as a human male teenager.

I also created a little music prodigy teen I will eventually move in with my gay couple to foster.

And I am not above killing off Sims for the sake of the stories or give them a heartbreak.

I have no idea what that says about my mental health.
  • matthewrodneymatthewrodney Posts: 150 Member
    I don't think anyone should read too deeply into connections between their mental health and play style, but that said I think anyone who plays a video game such as the Sims (or many others) is looking for some type of escapism. For some that is simply procrastination, for other it could be more serious.
    pax_link.jpg?w=680
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    Well. Considering that I have created Sims, plum a whole neighbourhoods, just to torture/kill them...NO. I don't believe the two can be connected o:)

I'm not talking about not the violent themes people create in-game but more so the sad themes, like homeless scenarios or group homes or teens raising younger siblings. These are things that in today's society would be considered tragedies.

My sense is that people play these types of scenario for two very different reasons:

1. Simply to see whether they can and what will happen. The player thinks 'I wonder what would happen if I put a sim on a lot with no house and no furniture or appliances? Could they survive? Could I make it work?' or 'I wonder how a family of kids would manage with no parents to care for them?' and then they do it to find out.

2. Because of the dramatic possibilities. I'm not sure that such players always see their scenarios as necessarily tragic, though. I remember as a kid playing scenarios with my dolls where they were orphans and the elder sister had to take care of the younger one. This wasn't because I was a disturbed kid, or anything, and in fact I did not even think of the game as being sad or tragic. I think I saw it as something of an adventure and I think most kids wonder what it would be like to live without adult restraints. The Sims lets us vicariously experience the kind of lives that we are not likely to actually lead - or would even particularly want to lead.

Post edited by FKM100 on
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited May 2018
    [deleted]
    Post edited by Simpkin on
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    Good points everyone. I think it's both an escape and a creative outlet. Your play preferences reflect your personality and imagination more than they reflect your mental health imo, but of course mental health plays into it as well, especially if you're depressed and/or dealing with a disorder.
  • HeronyxHeronyx Posts: 43 Member
    > @Chazzzy said:
    > Someone should do a study on the connection between the types of scenarios players create in-game and their personal mental health. I think it would be a great read.
    >
    > Do you think the two could be connected somehow? Could the way you play The Sims be a subtle form of therapy or is it just a game?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but I don't personally think The Sims is just a game. It does have it's psychological side to it. I don't think that game play of The Sims is any different to various psychological experiments that have been conducted to see what happens or what people will chose to do when given control or power of others, that's the point of it.

I'm going to keep my argument simple by stating that when we play The Sims we're basically playing god and there are all types of gods with all types of personality traits in world mythology. In my opinion, when people create sims purely for the purpose of torturing and killing them that means that they are a sadistic god. You could argue that the person knows that it's just a game, but the fact that the person chooses to spend their time creating and killing is still noteworthy. I think it's strange that people are happy to make judgements of deities from actual religions but when they are the god of a world suddenly we should ascribe any meaning to their actions. It doesn't make sense if you think about it in an unbiased way.
  • gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Someone should do a study on the connection between the types of scenarios players create in-game and their personal mental health. I think it would be a great read.

Do you think the two could be connected somehow? Could the way you play The Sims be a subtle form of therapy or is it just a game?

So interesting! I like to think it's a subtle form of therapy for me, at least. It helps me escape and relax. :)
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I think it could be quite possible, actually!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€