Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone getting this Vampire Aspiration bug?

tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
Yeah okay I was raising Toothy's vampire rank up and read all those tomes pretty quick. Then I found out, from this forum, that there is a vampire aspiration, so I changed his current one to that one, and one of the goals is to read the Ultimate Tome. Toothy had already read it though, so I made him reread it anyway and nothing is happening. He has read the book for hours and he never 'finishes' so the aspiration is now borked and I can't complete it. I even tried selling the tome and buying a new copy, but the same thing happens.

I, er, Toothy, is a sad vampire :( Is there any cheats to 'complete' it without actually doing so? I'm happy to say he just got to Grand Vamp though :3

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited January 2017
    ctrl-shift-c
    testingcheats on
    aspirations.complete_current_milestone

Edit: This will complete the current milestone. If you just want to complete that part of it, there's a mod that will allow you to do so by right clicking. http://modthesims.info/d/558548
  • tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited January 2017
    Yay thank you! ^____^ Yeah I just wanted to complete that milestone cause of the bug.
  • TinkerbellLoverTinkerbellLover Posts: 32 Member
    I also have same bug. Is there a place to report the bug?
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    tobumon wrote: »
    Yeah okay I was raising Toothy's vampire rank up and read all those tomes pretty quick. Then I found out, from this forum, that there is a vampire aspiration, so I changed his current one to that one, and one of the goals is to read the Ultimate Tome. Toothy had already read it though, so I made him reread it anyway and nothing is happening. He has read the book for hours and he never 'finishes' so the aspiration is now borked and I can't complete it. I even tried selling the tome and buying a new copy, but the same thing happens.

I, er, Toothy, is a sad vampire :( Is there any cheats to 'complete' it without actually doing so? I'm happy to say he just got to Grand Vamp though :3
    You sure he finished reading it? I noticed long ago with books that sometimes (not sure if it's always) if you've already read through the book once, it will no longer show the progress bar when you read it again. The progress bar for completing it is essentially invisible, but it still exists in the sense that there's a start and a finish point.

I suspect this is an ancient "bug" and the bug is that it doesn't show you the progress bar on a second or more read-through.

Cause I ran into the same thing, I'm pretty sure, where it seemed like it was taking a while. But I just persisted (being aware of that old bug in the back of my mind) and eventually it gave me the completion.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    How does it take to finish reading though? He was reading it for a super long time.
    tobumon wrote: »
    How does it take to finish reading though? He was reading it for a super long time.
    Hmm. That's a good question. Keep in mind if he stops for a bit and then goes back to it, it should pick up where he left off (assuming it's working properly).

But honestly, I'm not sure on numbers at all. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd throw out something in the realm of 5 total sim hours, but I haven't tested it while keeping an eye on time. I was a little surprised that in doing a search around, I'm not finding a set amount of time in a guide for how long it takes. Which makes me think it's either different for each book, or it's been so irrelevant in most gameplay that no one bothered to figure it out.

Something for me to go test.
    @tobumon I just did some testing with the different tomes.

9:15am to 2:10pm vol1 (roughly 5 hours)

2:34pm to 8:18pm vol2 (a little under 6 hours)

8:24pm to 12:00am vol3 (about 3 and a half hours)

12:06am to 3:42am ultimate (about 3 and a half hours)

Mind you, this was first read, no prior vampire lore skill. So with each book, it automatically stopped me when I reached the point where the tome no longer added to my skill gains (with the exception of the Ultimate, which I had to stop myself). If you are rereading, I'm not sure if it would stop you at the same place, or stop you at all on its own, for that matter.

Some books seem to be bugged to where you could sit and read them forever if nothing got in the way, like needs. I tried the Gluttonspiel to see if there was any kind of common time on books. I had needs cheated off and my sim sat there reading it for 24 hours before I finally ended it manually. And the book said "reread" when they put it down, so they had definitely read through it all the way for the first time. It wasn't a 24+ read, in other words. :tongue: Then again, I did have autonomy off to track time undisturbed, so maybe that borked the testing with the Gluttonspiel.
    Yeah my game is definitely bugged then. Toothy was ready for 10+ hours and nothing happened.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Did it say Re-Read the book? If it didn't say that he hasn't really finished it. Try searching vampire lore again now that's he is a vampire and buy a new book.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Mine keeps putting the tome away after reading in it a few sim minutes, no matter which volume it is. Have to direct them to keep reading it. Full needs so that's not why.
    Zafireria wrote: »
    Mine keeps putting the tome away after reading in it a few sim minutes, no matter which volume it is. Have to direct them to keep reading it. Full needs so that's not why.

That's been a problem in TS4 since day one. I have complained loudly how they do that when I'm trying to make them read a skill book etc. It doesn't matter if all motives are maxed. I really could kill off the lot of TS4 Sims for doing this. It was one of the most annoying things about TS4 for me. Since the other games make them read until I tell them to stop.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

That's been a problem in TS4 since day one. I have complained loudly how they do that when I'm trying to make them read a skill book etc. It doesn't matter if all motives are maxed. I really could kill off the lot of TS4 Sims for doing this. It was one of the most annoying things about TS4 for me. Since the other games make them read until I tell them to stop.
    @Cinebar I see. Well never had that bug with the books before. Beside its only the tome, others are fine o.O

@Cinebar I see. Well never had that bug with the books before. Beside its only the tome, others are fine o.O

Try a Sim with no skills, give them a skill book,..right before they get the skill just one hair away they stop reading and put it away. It's been a complaint by many here for two years+

Try a Sim with no skills, give them a skill book,..right before they get the skill just one hair away they stop reading and put it away. It's been a complaint by many here for two years+
    I don't have such a sim :D Guess I have to go and make one, thanks for the tip.
  • biglil711biglil711 Posts: 162 Member
    Mine is on 3rd reread and nothing either. Will wait until the 20 days are up before I am forced to use the cheat.
  • biglil711biglil711 Posts: 162 Member
    Bought a new book and she got the check, o9 more days until aspiration complete
    biglil711 wrote: »
    Bought a new book and she got the check, o9 more days until aspiration complete

Wish that worked for me. I bought a new book too, read for many hours, and nothing.
    Sorry, but I have an update. This bug of mine apparently fixed itself when I loaded up the game today. I was just letting Toothy practice his writing so he can start some poetry (when It's unlocked) when I randomly went to the aspiration icon and saw that the Read the Ultimate Tome thingiebob has now checkmarked. It sure wasn't yesterday and I didn't play at all today until just now. Yay. Now I don't need to cheat.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    In case of my sim, I tried the grand master aspiration. I can't complete "reading a vampire lore skill book". Because my sim already is on 15 levels at lore skill, it doesn't look like to be counted in case the sim already finished the book before opening this aspiration. So I have no idea what to do. Should `i use a cheat?
  • zanygiozanygio Posts: 3 New Member
    I am on level 7 lore. I've read both volumes 1 and 2 of the books. I've even re-read both and every time I use the computer to do vampire research it says I've already exhausted my resources via online and refers me to the books. I can't purchase volume 3 of the books. The option is grayed out. What should I do?
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Yeah I have that problem too with that vampire aspiration. I just do what Felicity had suggest to do to get around that, and the game still counts the aspiration as being completed.
  • zanygiozanygio Posts: 3 New Member
    Sooo I've found out it takes you having to reread those books like 2 or 3 times in order to complete the book and progress for the Vampire Lore skill.
  • KurodaAkiraKurodaAkira Posts: 1 New Member
    For me this was also an issue. Yes I know the topic is 7months old but the problem still persists. For me it worked this way: Make your sim reread the ultimate vampire tome, then (without canceling it!!) direct him (or her) to do something else. They should stop reading the moment the progress bar is full (it's not visible) and do the other thing. That way you get the milestone.
  • LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    edited August 2017
    I think it's about the tips, you know? The ones we see in pop-ups. You need to see all of them. In the last tip, it says: "Your Sim learned everything about vampires" or something like that. And only after that you complete the aspiration.

And if you already finished everything, the aspiration should be finished too...I think that's how it works for me.