Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Outdoor Retreat is a FAIL - EA Continues To LIMIT Our Gameplay

Comments

• thepumpulathepumpula Posts: 15 Member
    I won´t personally buy this.. doesn´t seem to bring much new to the game.. i am playing sims 3 now again (I would go all back to sims 2, but somehow my computer won´t install it?? ), atleast until they give us lots of new lots and toddlers back..
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    thepumpula wrote: »
    I won´t personally buy this.. doesn´t seem to bring much new to the game.. i am playing sims 3 now again (I would go all back to sims 2, but somehow my computer won´t install it?? ), atleast until they give us lots of new lots and toddlers back..

What kind of computer and OS are you trying to install it on? Also, is it disks or digital?
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Mollypup9Mollypup9 Posts: 518 Member
    Actually, I've been enjoying the new game pack. :)

I didn't expect it to have all of the activities of sims 2 camping. This is not sims 2 but a new game. Not an expansion pack, but a game pack. And I imagine as we are given more game packs and expansions it will likely enable us to do more activities within THIS game pack as well.

They did pretty darn well for group activities as well as activities for your sims. I would like to see kids be able to at least fish eventually, but as I recall they could not garden in sims 2 and I can't recall if I tried in sims 3.

The neighborhood is gorgeous and has a 'real' feel to it, which is nice. Fortunately mine has not been too glitchy except I can't travel with anyone except by using the invite option.......and sometimes that option is not present, even with adults of the same home.

I can't wait to try the weeny roast option......and to let my neighbors occupy the other camp areas. None of them have much funds at the moment and I refuse to use cheat codes. lol

Sometimes we set our expectations a wee bit too high. Had this been an expansion, I'd have expected quite a lot more. As for adding interactions & such, those can be added via patches the same way pools were added if they really wanted. I too, think they gave us quite a lot for 20 bucks, and that it was worth it. Which is something I didn't feel about sims 3 after world adventures.......except perhaps University.

I can't wait to see what the first expansion will be and I certainly hope they hype it a bit more so we have a real idea of what we're buying prior to instead basically on release date.

There are basic things about this game I don't like at all........such as the time management / goal oriented nonsense and being unable to edit the worlds as we did in sims 2 ect. I hope the gurus do something about these things, give us an option to turn them off or a world (s) we can make totally our own.

One thing that strikes me odd is that there doesn't seem to be much chatter about what is to come as there always has been before.........Maybe that is because I hate twitter lol But it seems that we would already be getting some information about the 1st expansion pack by now in order to start building interest and excitement.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    SnowWolf58 wrote: »
    Okay -- so I did have the wrong type of chairs with the new Wolf table -- as I thought the camping chairs would work with it. It turns out that the new wood chairs work with the Wolf Table and now everyone can play cards at the campground.

Next, it was a glitch when my family could not all travel to the National Park. I found that when I click on the "Travel Icon in the sky" that the option to "Travel With" does not always appear. So now, I go to the Travel icon in the menu and the "Travel With" always appears. However, the first few times I was able to use the "Travel Icon in the sky", it did have the "Travel With icon" and the kids images were not in the pop-up menu that appears so the sim can choose their traveling partners/friends/family. So, as someone else has said here -- this is probably a glitch.

The rest of my statements still stand and I do feel that this Game Pack is insufficient in FAMILY activities.

1. Kids cannot collect insects and herbs -- Why?
    2. Kids cannot fish -- Why?
    3. There are not enough "kid friendly" activities or family activities that the ENTIRE family can do together.

Thank you AnnLee and others who posted helpful hints on here in regard to the new Wolf Game table and family travel.

i think i may have found the fix for traveling issue. i recently repaired my game and afterwards my family could travel without any issues. to repair open origin, under my games right click on sims 4 icon and select repair, hope it works for you.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    I was thinking of buying this at some time when it goes on sale but having read all the things families can't do together - such as fish or visit the national park - I'm beginning to think I'll just not bother with it then either.
  • biglil711biglil711 Posts: 162 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    Did you put correct chairs by the card table? It needs the outdoor dining chairs and they should snap into place. You should be able to drag the card table with the chairs if the correct chairs were used. I think I used the purple butterfly chairs. You can place 4 chairs at one card table.

Thanks for the butterfly chair tip used every one but that one kind of crazy actually.
  • zap608zap608 Posts: 82 Member
    I played this last night for the first time. I've learnt more reading this thread because I didn't stay long. I have a habit of comparing with SIMS 2 as I still love that game.
    The scenery is breathtaking, I like the new collectables and to date have no idea what plants I harvested due to work demands making planting impossible. I don't miss the slap dancing! In fact I thank any deity listening that it isn't included in this :-) I don't like the itchy plant thing...hated it in Sims 2 too modded it and bee attacks out. (Living in the UK these things rarely happen). A talking bear? I am not into that side of the Sims so will avoid it at all costs. I wish I could see a little more through the trees outside the campgrounds and the Falls, if I could edit the forest I would make a clear path so I could find my way back. I would love to have them swim in the lakes/rivers; as a water baby I stare at the water with longing LOL. I think I liked it but really will have to go back with a richer family. My game is only a few days old so I'm working on it. Thanks for all the info guys :-)
    Find me; Freeasabird, The Shed @ Sims 4 Studio. Custom content for The Sims 4.
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Kids can fish.

fishing_zpsca0896b9.jpg
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    So, for those of you who haven't yet bought the new game pack, here's some details to help you decide whether to buy it or wait for better programming from EA.

1. The kids cannot travel with their parents/grandparents to the National Park. (You have to leave them at the campground)
    2. There are only FOUR small lots in the entire new world of Granite Falls.
    3. The campground lot can only be rented by ONE Family when there is easily room for 4 families on the lot.
    4. Families cannot use the new Wolf game table (card playing) outdoors in the campground.
    5. The Hot Chocolate Machine is a STATUE -- and is non-functional. Really?
    6. The only Shower is on the national park lot and costs $10.00 per shower.
    7. Did I mention how incredibly SMALL the campground lot is?
    8. Collecting Herbs/Insects are the main NEW activities with the campfire activities being minimal.
    9. There are no real group activities beyond Ghost stories and sitting around the campfire.
    10. No group dancing (Slap Dance), no wildlife/bird watching, no logrolling, no axe throwing or archery.

Just a very limited environment that is very small. I would rather pay more money to have more content and FAMILY activities. I'm giving this game pack a C- and will not be buying anymore from this series unless EA begins to really listen to all of our feedback and starts producing a real successor to the past Sims 1, 2 & 3. Two Thumbs Down. :(

First, it's a gamepack not expansion of course the new neighborhood is smaller and has lesser gameplay, don't buy it if you do not like and I would advise you to check what's in and later buy it.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @Gruffman‌ I heard someone say sims don't talk to each other when fishing together in 4, is that true? Hope not!
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Okay -- so I did have the wrong type of chairs with the new Wolf table -- as I thought the camping chairs would work with it. It turns out that the new wood chairs work with the Wolf Table and now everyone can play cards at the campground.

Next, it was a glitch when my family could not all travel to the National Park. I found that when I click on the "Travel Icon in the sky" that the option to "Travel With" does not always appear. So now, I go to the Travel icon in the menu and the "Travel With" always appears. However, the first few times I was able to use the "Travel Icon in the sky", it did have the "Travel With icon" and the kids images were not in the pop-up menu that appears so the sim can choose their traveling partners/friends/family. So, as someone else has said here -- this is probably a glitch.

The rest of my statements still stand and I do feel that this Game Pack is insufficient in FAMILY activities.

1. Kids cannot collect insects and herbs -- Why?
    2. Kids cannot fish -- Why?
    3. There are not enough "kid friendly" activities or family activities that the ENTIRE family can do together.

Thank you AnnLee and others who posted helpful hints on here in regard to the new Wolf Game table and family travel.

i think i may have found the fix for traveling issue. i recently repaired my game and afterwards my family could travel without any issues. to repair open origin, under my games right click on sims 4 icon and select repair, hope it works for you.

Hmm. I don't have OR, but I had some household travel issues yesterday after the "insignificant patch." I'll try repairing and see if that helps.

I'm liking what I'm reading about and seeing of OR from folks who are enjoying it. If I have time to play this weekend, I'll probably buy it.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    to be honest me i do not see the outdoor retreat gamepack as a failure it evens brings new fun stuff to the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2015
    I was gardening with my children when they were toddlers - they loved playing in muck and stuff - poking little holes in the dirt and then dropping a seed in...teaching patience whilst it grows

I don't understand why kids can't garden and fish..odd limitation, IMO..just ran out of time to hook the interaction in?...designed by someone who doesn't have kids?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    @Gruffman‌ I heard someone say sims don't talk to each other when fishing together in 4, is that true? Hope not!

It is true, sadly. Fishing must take all the sims concentration cause multi-taslking does not apply.

fishing2_zpsb46bf127.jpg
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »

It is true, sadly. Fishing must take all the sims concentration cause multi-taslking does not apply.

fishing2_zpsb46bf127.jpg
    Yes. It is only logical not to speak a word or you'll scare the fishes away
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »

fishing2_zpsb46bf127.jpg

That is a real shame-it could be a good family bonding activity :(
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I haven't bought it, but is there actual new stuff in there?
    Fishing, collecting, sleeping in tents, horseshoe tossing, gathering around the campfire roasting marshmallows, that's not new.
    Nor is finding a hidden place (which I actually love in the game, unless there's not much there once you found it like the crash site of ITF, a huge disappointment; is there?).
    And looking at the clouds is new, but it sounds very much like gazing at the stars.
    The bear is new of course and I like the looks of him.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I haven't bought it, but is there actual new stuff in there?
    Fishing, collecting, sleeping in tents, horseshoe tossing, gathering around the campfire roasting marshmallows, that's not new.
    Nor is finding a hidden place (which I actually love in the game, unless there's not much there once you found it like the crash site of ITF, a huge disappointment; is there?).
    And looking at the clouds is new, but it sounds very much like gazing at the stars.
    The bear is new of course and I like the looks of him.

The sky gazing animations are identical -regardless of whether they are looking at stars/clouds or if they are lying beneath an open staircase.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    There are at least 3 external sites that have game guides for the new game pack. Maybe the OP should go read some of them and learn how to camp. lol There is so much stuff to do in just the game pack alone I don't understand why some do not enjoy the game.

Toddlers need faithful parents!

Well because its not a Life Simulator for me. If you ask why well just check my comment history i said enough and i feel like Maxis dosen't care at all. Well i really don't care anymore.
    #lastsimsgameforme
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited January 2015
    The kids can visit with their parents.
  • LuvTamareLuvTamare Posts: 48 Member
    I can't seem to get the card table to work. I've put the outdoor chairs around it. the green ones I believe and it does't work. None of them work with tables. There's a green chair at one of the tables on the back porch (this was the house the came with the GP mind you) and the sims can't eat or do anything that's involved with the table if the chair is there...I'm confused. Why have the chairs if they don't work with the tables?
  • SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    LuvTamare: Yes, wouldn't you think that all the camping chairs would work with the new Game Table? I found that the Wood Log dining chairs work, (the seat is a log cut in half) and I believe that AnnLee said the Butterfly chairs work as well. I think the green/turquoise camping chairs may just work around the campfire/pit. There is a definite learning curve to some of this new game pack.
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • loobylou1985loobylou1985 Posts: 2,125 Member
    My kids can collect bugs and fish i also think the camping area is big, there is more than 1 campable area to go to.

i also feel your comparing a game pack to a full Sims 2 expansion so that's not really fair, you expect the extras ti be in a expansion pack .

my Sims went camping for 4 days and did not even get to do half the things available
  • Rewster89Rewster89 Posts: 2 New Member
    I absolutely love the Sims and am enjoying playing TS4.

That being said, I do find the $20 price tag completely unreasonable for an expansion like this.

[b]This should be free DLC or a MAXIMUM of $5.[/b]

I think what EA needs to realize is that the industry has changed. We've all paid $50+ to play this game in the first place. I applaud you for providing free DLC right off the bat, but unless the expansion packs you are releasing are significant GAME CHANGERS you should not be charging for them. We are paying customers already. If you wanna build a good reputation or continue to be respected and liked, you should treat your fans (the backbone of your entire company) with love <3

I'd be much more willing to pay $2 bucks for a small game pack or mini-expansion. Not $20. I'll NEVER pay $20 for a game pack.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    Hmm. Well, I don't think this GP is a failure, certainly. Overall, I'd say it's pretty good. It doesn't have quite as much as I'd like to see -- I felt there isn't really -that- much to do while on vacation. But it's close. For what there is, I think perhaps a $15 price point would be most fitting, but $20 is not terrible. I think it's better than a Stuff Pack. (I generally don't buy Stuff Packs -- feel they're a waste.)

I'm pretty happy with the size of the lots and all. The park itself is nicely done and has some very pretty locations. It would be nice if all the new camp chairs worked properly with tables, but it seems a few don't. The only thing I really feel is lacking are activities. I'd really like to see a few more group activities. Like the log-rolling or axe-throwing or whatnot from the old Bon Voyage mountain vacation area.

And yes, I do feel that it's pretty fair to compare this GP to the mountain area of the Bon Voyage EP. I say that noting that the mountain/wilderness area was only 1/3 of the whole Bon Voyage EP. So comparing a GP to 1/3 of an EP? Seems about right to me.

So IMO, it's a pretty good pack. I think it could've been a bit better, but a decent first GP for the game.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top