Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotating a Lot

LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
Okay so I downloaded a ruthless_kk lot into my game but the front of the house (has a fence as well) is facing the wrong way on the lot. I know how to move a whole house but how can I rotate the entire lot so its facing the correct way?

Comments

• Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    not sure if you can rotate the lot...great question. You may just have to rotate the whole house.
    5sXtTqH.png
  • LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
    That'll be annoying to rotate just the house and having to try to replicate the fencing and landscaping so it's facing the correct way ;-; Or I'll just have to use that particular house on a different lot.
  • Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Good luck! If you find out how, be sure to post it here please! :smile:
    5sXtTqH.png
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    The lots cannot be rotated. I think this is on purpose....had you ever noticed in the Sims 3 how sometimes terrain paints are "shifted off" to one side and not where they are supposed to be? It is because the lot was not oriented the exact same way as when it was created. By having all the lots oriented in one direction that doesnt move, that wont happen.

We can move the house and rotate it, but....yeah...have to redo the landscaping and such. Which I would rather do than have to rebuild a house from scratch because it ended up being too close to the street. :)
  • LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
    Thanks ruthless! It's the Contempo one you did that looks amazing. I'll just have to try out rotating the house and see if I can replicate the fencing and landscaping as best I can :D It's a shame that we can't just rotate the whole lot but oh well, I can deal with it lol.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 162 Member
    Personally I think it's ridiculous that we can't rotate a lot. I downloaded a lovely house but I can't use it because it always faces backwards and the whole point of downloading a house is to save me spending ages building one so I don't want to have to delete all the landscaping so the house on its own will rotate.
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    Personally I think it's ridiculous that we can't rotate a lot. I downloaded a lovely house but I can't use it because it always faces backwards and the whole point of downloading a house is to save me spending ages building one so I don't want to have to delete all the landscaping so the house on its own will rotate.

That is really weird that it is backwards. If the lot orientation doesnt change...it should face the direction the person built it on. Unless they built it backwards? Is the picture in the gallery backwards too? I would be very curious about that...can you tell me which lot?
  • koschevykoschevy Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been having the same problem. I was able to fix it by bulldozing the lot and moving the mailbox on the empty lot so it faced the right way. Then I brought the house back into the lot and it was facing correctly. However, now I have the same problem on another lot and I tried this same fix and it didn't work. So frustrating.
  • jegoodejegoode Posts: 267 Member
    Have you tried moving the house itself? Press "U" and then select the house to move it. Press "U" again to get out of the move house mode
    Origin ID: MJSimKat_14
    YouTube Channel: https://youtube.com/user/MJSimKat
    "Just Exquisitely Goode"
  • LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited September 2014
    About rotating houses....

I made a house and decided to move it somewhere else. It landed backwards. I did the house thing and because it was on a 20x30 lot and it would have been outside the ranges with the first turn? It wouldn't let me. No matter what I did, I could not flip that house around because it rotates 1/4 of a turn at a time. I was so frustrated.

Anybody knows how to make it rotate from front to back?

I noticed the mailbox and moved it to the correct front of the lot, it didn't fix it. The house kept landing backwards.

ETA: I DID move the house from one side of the street to the other. So it landed facing the exact same way as it had originally been built. However, we should be able to rotate it to face correctly. Since it rotates 1/4 of a turn at a time? It would not allow me to make that first turn since it would have gone outside of the boundaries of the lot.
  • MelReduxMelRedux Posts: 54 Member
    edited September 2014
    To get around that 1/4 turn thing, pick up the house then use < or > on the keyboard to rotate.
  • LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    MelRedux wrote: »
    To get around that 1/4 turn thing, pick up the house then use < or > on the keyboard to rotate.

OMG! *writes it down 'cause my memory stinks*

Thank you!! I was using the build mode thing.

• althekoolkid3althekoolkid3 Posts: 2 New Member
    For people wanting to move the lots and are worried about fencing and such. . . Press U to enter move mode click the house, then hold shift and click the fencing/yard/etc. You can move both simultaneously.
  • uo_2272uo_2272 Posts: 24 Member
    I have the same problem with a few downloaded lots. "They place backwards". Rotating the house doesn't work because the game says the house becomes out of bounds when I attempt it.
  • ExodidExodid Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2014
    > @koschevy said:
    > I've been having the same problem. I was able to fix it by bulldozing the lot and moving the mailbox on the empty lot so it faced the right way. Then I brought the house back into the lot and it was facing correctly. However, now I have the same problem on another lot and I tried this same fix and it didn't work. So frustrating.

Thanks that work for me too !
  • SimGuruHoutsSimGuruHouts Posts: 73 SimGuru
    For now, there is no way to rotate an entire lot. It would certainly be useful functionality to have though. :)
  • DavlanDavlan Posts: 87 Member
    For people wanting to move the lots and are worried about fencing and such. . . Press U to enter move mode click the house, then hold shift and click the fencing/yard/etc. You can move both simultaneously.

OMG thank you so much, I was wondering how to get this to work!

Also, did anyone else have the issue that when you rotate the house, it deletes your staircases?
  • jjohnson831jjohnson831 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @althekoolkid3 said:
    > For people wanting to move the lots and are worried about fencing and such. . . Press U to enter move mode click the house, then hold shift and click the fencing/yard/etc. You can move both simultaneously.

The landscaping didn't go with it!
  • SRVelez19SRVelez19 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited September 2014
    I have this very same problem. I tried the mailbox thing and it didn't work. So far I settled with the Move house and the hold shift thing althekoolkid3 said. But the garden was so elaborate, I'd have to make do getting rid of it.

It'd be really great to have a patch to add this functionality soon. Hi, SimGuruHouts :) *hint*hint*
  • LostDonoLostDono Posts: 1 New Member
    Ok I tried this twice on 2 separate lots, so I'm pretty sure it works. If anyone is still getting the backwards, first off you go into build mode on the lot and then bulldoze it. Move the post box facing the correct direction and by the street. Do NOT exit build mode, instead press F4 or open the gallery and apply the lot while in build mode. It should fix the backwards facing lot thing.
    Hope it helps any of you still having that problem.
    Unfortunately it doesn't work and I cant place any houses at all because they are always backwards.
    Managed to do it. I used the move house tool to select the entire house and then used < and > to turn it to the correct orientation. The house I was struggling with had a fence surrounding it and I managed to select the entire thing but not the actual lot.
  • SuzyQSim1259SuzyQSim1259 Posts: 121 Member
    Yes, you can rotate everything on the lot. I have done it. When you click on the move icon, usually it only highlights the house. If you either ctrl click or shift click on the other stuff it will highlight everything on the lot (sorry can't remember off the top of my head which it is). Anyway once everything you want to rotate is highlighted, use the rotate or <> keys. Good luck! :)
  • LittleMermaid540LittleMermaid540 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @LostDono said:
    > Ok I tried this twice on 2 separate lots, so I'm pretty sure it works. If anyone is still getting the backwards, first off you go into build mode on the lot and then bulldoze it. Move the post box facing the correct direction and by the street. Do NOT exit build mode, instead press F4 or open the gallery and apply the lot while in build mode. It should fix the backwards facing lot thing.
    > Hope it helps any of you still having that problem.

This works :) Thank you! I was getting irritated cause I got a beautiful lot and it went in backwards. Just did what you said and it worked :)