Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have You Saved and Backed Up Your Game Lately? v.2021

It's a brand new year and here is your friendly reminder: Have you made a back up of your save game files lately?

If you are a newer player or a long-time player with many saves or a few extensive saves you've put a lot of time into, don't forget to take the time to preserve your save files, it can help prevent catastrophic loss due to crashes, file corruption, hardware failure and whatnot.

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Thanks for the reminder, I'm techno illiterate, could you provide a link to a guide on how to do it please?
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Here's a Carl's Guide to help with backing up saves.
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/help/save.php
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Thank you! That guide is so nice and clear even I can follow it :)
    CelSims wrote: »
    Thank you! That guide is so nice and clear even I can follow it :)

Great! Carl makes really nice guides for just about everything for The Sims 4. :)
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Wonderful reminder, thank you! This is especially important because we're getting a new patch tomorrow that will probably shake up a lot of mods and some saved games because it includes a brand new emotion; Scared.

So even if you regularly back up your games or don't usually need to, I'd suggest backing up again tonight because we don't know what tomorrow's patch will do, even to unmodded games.
    #Team Occult
    @LiELF Thanks for that heads up, I didn't know we were getting a patch tomorrow.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    I’ll back up and switch to offline mode tonight.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Yes!! I had to switch over my game into the D drive, since my C drive is full (probably all my mods lol). I didn't realize what a hassle it would be and had to uninstall everything and cast a few spells here and there to get everything in working order. Luckily I had enough sense in my annoyance to save my files onto a USB.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    never actually have but i also didn't have saves that important

now i kind of feel like i dont want to lose all my thingies though so i better backup :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited January 2021
    I back up every time I play (which is probably too much), but I lost a save in Sims 3 and have been paranoid ever since.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I used native Windows 10 features to automatically backup my Sims Documents folder daily.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I make a backup of my legacy save every day on google drive. I also backup my screenshots there, too. This is a very good reminder!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I back up my game regular and save copies of it in multiple places.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It's time to wipe out your Mod Folder, because the Emotion Update is going to mess with your Mods hard.

You can try saying to EA "I had a Fear Mod, and I demand that your new emotional update that makes it no longer necessery does not break my Game!" Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds? That's why I don't use mods.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    It's time to wipe out your Mod Folder, because the Emotion Update is going to mess with your Mods hard.

You can try saying to EA "I had a Fear Mod, and I demand that your new emotional update that makes it no longer necessery does not break my Game!" Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds? That's why I don't use mods.

I usually play offline and wait for mods to be fixed before I update. I don't want to play without some mods like Meaningful Stories and MCCC.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Me too. Right now I’m just downloading everything I might need from the gallery because I don’t know how long it will be before I can use it again.

Looking forward to Zerbu’s Simology mod getting updated. If we can’t give our Sims phobias in the vanilla game, that could be a good solution.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    I’ve backed up my game this morning before work- this topic was a great reminder! 🤩
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    After one really negative experience with a patch I back up now prior to every patch as I spend long hours getting my worlds to look how I like them to along with the sims that go into those worlds. I also back up my lots and sims separately and save the tray files in case I ever need to start over..
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I move mine to a temporary folder, and move them back as they get updated. That way I know which mods to keep an eye out for if they are not updated in the first two days or so. I usually don't play until my essential mods are updated.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Another patch so soon?!? Oh, I forgot Happy Haunts will be here in six days. Heavy sigh. I just got back to playing after a long break so I guess I'll avoid the newest patch for a few weeks. But this is a very important reminder about the benefits of backing up your game at least once a week if you have made a lot of progress is your game, or you don't want some random glitch wiping out all your saves in the blink of an eye. I learned that lesson way back while playing Sims3. Losing a favorite save is a very sad event. Saving your mods, CC, saves file, Sims and lots at least once a week is quick and easy, and will save you from having to start from scratch. Three minutes spent backing up your files will save you at least a week's worth of time finding your favorite CC and downloading it again. And months trying to recreate that perfect world you spent hours upon hours creating. It's a good habit to have, and one little sticky note with a reminder to back up your files, can save you a lot of stress in the future. :)
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    I back up regularly and never update my game until I decide if the bugs it brings are game breaking or not and until my main mods are updated, but thank you for posting this. It's a good idea for everyone to back up regularly, not just right before a patch.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    thanks. Just did the backups now :)
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2021
    I back mine up at the end of every day. Back up your saves AND YOUR TRAY. This cannot be emphasized enough.
    Post edited by SimsLady2000 on
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited January 2021
    @Catzilla No. But great heads-up. Doing that now for my "Saves" folder. Should probably do that with other folders too.
    "Mods" and "Tray" folders.
    ISh9elx.png

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png