Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scottish Highlands Good Setting for Supernaturals?

Comments

• ChatonChaton Posts: 144 Member
    edited December 2020
    Recently, I've been seeing a lot of thought bubbles with Nessie in my game. I also noticed some in a few youtube videos, here is a screenshot from a Clare Siobhan video. Is this new or has this always been here ? I noticed it right away when it first appeared in my game because I don't remember seeing it before. Could be a hint to a Scottish world ?
    pl3s.png
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Chaton wrote: »
    Recently, I've been seeing a lot of thought bubbles with Nessie in my game. I also noticed some in a few youtube videos, here is a screenshot from a Clare Siobhan video. Is this new or has this always been here ? I noticed it right away when it first appeared in my game because I don't remember seeing it before. Could be a hint to a Scottish world ?
    pl3s.png

Omg never saw that in all my time playing😱
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    I'm a little annoyed how everything looks so cute and friendly though. Nessie is cute but what about a dark terrifying nessie with razor teeth?😈
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    z0ZKPN3.jpg

I've noticed that icon since Get Together. If you go to Windenburg's Bluffs the sims will often have that icon in their thought bubbles, and if you get a sim to share a conspiracy theory, that icon will often appear. I think it's suppose to represent Emily - the sea monster you can see from the Bluffs, named after the artist who made her.

However, it's interesting that the icon doesn't look anything like the one in the actual game. So maybe they will make an actual Loch Ness Monster for a Scotland Inspired world. @Babykittyjade, on the previous page there's a pic of a Beither - which some say is what Nellie actually is - and it has lots of razor teeth...maybe if our Emily grins at us she'll show her dark terrifying side in a supernatural pack. Reminds me a bit of Monsters Inc, cute and cuddly till they go into 'Monster Mode'.

I noticed in your sig you'd really like Zombies. Have you ever seen this icon in game? I've only ever seen it once or twice, but it's been there since base game. May be hope yet! Don't know if Scotland has any tales about zombies ... but you never know. (might go look that up lol)
    cugC0Lv.jpg
    edited December 2020
    So I've been watching a bit of Highland Fling, and you-tube was kind enough to recommend me this:

I would throw my $50AUD at them just to put these cutie pies in the game. I love the little one in pink, she's so adorable and I want their little outfit and an animation for our toddlers just like this! I want their little hairstyles too. Skip to 0:40 to get the cuteness going.
    https://youtu.be/TenkdGuXzIQ
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    So I've been watching a bit of Highland Fling, and you-tube was kind enough to recommend me this:

I would throw my $50AUD at them just to put these cutie pies in the game. I love the little one in pink, she's so adorable and I want their little outfit and an animation for our toddlers just like this! I want their little hairstyles too. Skip to 0:40 to get the cuteness going.
    https://youtu.be/TenkdGuXzIQ

A couple of those girls have pretty good technique, and then a couple just march to the beat of their own drum, lol! :)

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • MortimerGothMortimerGoth Posts: 80 Member
    As a Scotsman and occult fan I would very much like a Highlands-inspired pack. There are so many creatures from legend that could come into play (selkies, kelpies, cait-shìth etc.) not to mention the usual ghosts and ghouls. I can imagine my non-occult sims visiting a castle for a weekend break only to find strange residents and weird goings-on.
  • ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    edited January 2021
    I think one of the simgurus said a word that is linked to malaysian culture and all... IDK
    Scottish Highlands are more like fairies and elves to me.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Forgeron wrote: »
    I think one of the simgurus said a word that is linked to malaysian culture and all...

Source?
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    I would like a Scottish world, but please not the same lighting as in Forgotten Hollow. This world is unusable for me because of it's lighting...
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    If it was set in a Scottish setting and even a bit further north than the Scottish mainland it could be timed to coincide with Shetland's "Up Helly Aa", a Viking festival with torch procession which is traditionally on the last Tuesday of January. Edinburgh has copied it for tourist purposes in the Christmas and New Year celebrations here.

But...there are a lot of lake monsters reputedly in the USA lakes as well, so I'm not holding out any hopes.

If Maxis was working on something like this, thinking we might choose a Happy Haunts theme in the poll, they've had more than enough time to make it better than Nifty Knitting by now.
    I think one of the simgurus said a word that is linked to malaysian culture and all...

Source?

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruNinja/status/1346518439179927552

Amok originated from the Malaysian/Indonesian word meng-âmuk, which when roughly defined means "to make a furious and desperate charge".[4] According to Malaysian and Indonesian cultures, amok was rooted in a deep spiritual belief.[5] They believed that amok was caused by the hantu belian,[6] which was an evil tiger spirit that entered one's body and caused the heinous act. As a result of the belief, those in Indonesian culture tolerated amok and dealt with the after-effects with no ill will towards the assailant.[7]

Personally I believe people are reading a bit too much into it lol 😅😅😅
    edited January 2021

Source?

Amok originated from the Malaysian/Indonesian word meng-âmuk, which when roughly defined means "to make a furious and desperate charge".[4] According to Malaysian and Indonesian cultures, amok was rooted in a deep spiritual belief.[5] They believed that amok was caused by the hantu belian,[6] which was an evil tiger spirit that entered one's body and caused the heinous act. As a result of the belief, those in Indonesian culture tolerated amok and dealt with the after-effects with no ill will towards the assailant.[7]

I give you in return ....... Sagas from Europe

In the Old Norse written corpus, berserkers were those who were said to have fought in a trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the modern English word berserk (meaning "furiously violent or out of control"). Berserkers are attested to in numerous Old Norse sources. They were literally able to shapeshift into a bear's form. We British probably got our soldiers' bearskins via marauding Vikings and others trying to invade us. I think they probably drunk a lot of wine first!

I don't think I, personally, would be interested if it was set in another hot country. It doesn't match a ghostly theme somehow.

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Source?

Thank you for the reference @Babykittyjade. It all makes sense to me now. Those cute little green blobs are definitely inspired by evil tiger spirits...🧐
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Scottish Highlands are perfect for werewolves. #DogSoldiers
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
    It's been confirmed that some kind of ghost play is coming in a STUFF pack, which won't give us any kind of world, I've updated the title of the thread to include any kind of supernatural - which we all so awesomely ended up talking about anyway. So maybe there's still some hope for a Scotland World with things that go bump in the night.

So far, we've talked about werewolves, fairies, ghost dogs (Cu Sith), Water Dragons (Beither) and Monsters to catch.

@MortimerGoth - what's a cait-shìth? Sounds interesting (will have to google)

@Simburian -
    "Up Helly Aa", a Viking festival with torch procession
    - Ah torch-wielding villagers - yes we need them! Thanks for telling us about that festival. I wonder what else they do during that festival. I've learned about the Highland Festivals with the pole and haggis throwing, and their tug of wars, and of course their highland dancing competitions. Really, Scotland is full of such interesting things they could put in this game. I would love to see one of my sims go "Berserk!".
    ...They were literally able to shapeshift into a bear's form.
    - Oh no, this conjured up images of SimGuruNinja saying "Brilliant! Let's use the Bear Costume from OR!" lol :D ... or worse, the ones from parenthood...

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    In a Scottish pack you'll get kilts.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Loanet wrote: »
    In a Scottish pack you'll get kilts.

Proper Scottish ones! :D<3
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Well, if ghosts are coming in a tiny SP, it looks like Happy Haunts is never going to happen. I still want a Scottish world with castles. Maybe they could be a part of the murder mystery pack that was faked a while back. A good murder mystery in an old castle would be fun. And I still want kilts (have asked for a while now) and bagpipes.
  • MortimerGothMortimerGoth Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2021
    We might not be visiting the highlands in this Stuff Pack but it would still be a good idea for the future.

@MortimerGoth - what's a cait-shìth? Sounds interesting (will have to google)

@Simalleyaile It's a black-and-white fairy cat that supposedly haunts the highlands. There's probably a fairy version of every animal if you believe the old stories!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Well, if ghosts are coming in a tiny SP, it looks like Happy Haunts is never going to happen. I still want a Scottish world with castles. Maybe they could be a part of the murder mystery pack that was faked a while back. A good murder mystery in an old castle would be fun. And I still want kilts (have asked for a while now) and bagpipes.

Maybe bagpipes will come in the music and bands pack that I keep hoping for. 🎶 🌈

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Maybe bagpipes will come in the music and bands pack that I keep hoping for. 🎶 🌈

Possibly, but it would be so cool to have a kilted, ghost piper haunting my Scottish castle. :D
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    The Scottish Highlands would be perfect for Happy Haunts. I also think it would be a great setting for werewolves, but I probably just associate werewolves with Scotland because of the show Being Human (the UK one). When I think of ghosts in Scotland, I always think of Edinburgh and the tunnels below the city. After saying that, I'd also be intrigued by an explorable catacombs system as well. I really hope they're planning to give us more supernatural content in 2021.

Why don't you associate werewolves with An American Werewolf in London? That won an Oscar and it took place on the moors.

awooooo werewolves of london awoooooooooooo
  • ghamrick75ghamrick75 Posts: 134 Member
    Would definitely love seeing a world inspired by the Scottish Highlands.
    Could also think of a couple of specific places that might also fit well with the theme though too.
    Still would love to see Scottish Highlands.
    Origin ID: ghamrick75
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    OP, it would be a good idea to me but those little cute things in a stuff pack should have been proper Banshees if they want to do a haunt pack located in a Scotland highland. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.