Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scottish Highlands Good Setting for Supernaturals?

Comments

• SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    Wow, this has been so interesting. So it turns out, that putting the Grim Reaper, Ghosts and Werewolves and Fairies in the same pack is not a far-fetched idea at all!

Grim Reaper became European folklore during the 14th Century, when the Black Plague killed so many people. His long flowing cloak was because that's what FUNERAL DIRECTORS wore when conducting a funeral! So FUNERALS most definitely need to be a feature!
    DeKeZSJ.jpg

Scottish folklore has a GIANT DOG known as Cu-Sith.
    uhB4fGf.jpg

Here's a direct quote from Wikipedia: The cù-sìth(e) (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [kʰuː ˈʃiː]), plural coin-shìth(e)
    (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [kʰɔɲ ˈhiː]) is a mythological hound found in the folklore of Scotland.[1][2] The cù-sìth is thought to make its home in the clefts of rocks[1] and to roam the moors of the Highlands. It is usually described as having a shaggy, dark green coat[3][4] and being as large as a small cow.[5][6]

According to legend, the creature was capable of hunting silently, but would occasionally let out three terrifying barks, and only three, that could be heard for miles by those listening for it, even far out at sea. Those who hear the barking of the Cù-Sìth must reach safety by the third bark or
    be overcome with terror to the point of death."

So here's where our first new ghost comes from: FRIGHTENED TO DEATH/ DEATH BY FEAR! A fear emotion MUST finally be included. (Sorry for shouting, bit excited about this!) Our sims could hear a horrifying howl, and those with the superstitious trait would die of fright if they were not indoors! So if we want to play a ghost who has died of fright, take a walk along the Scottish moors and remain outside until they hear the howl.

When sims without the superstitious trait see a Cu-Sith out in the moors, they have the option to "Follow home" where they come across a cave. This will load into a secret lot: the Grim Reaper's Lair, where they can meet the Grim Reaper, and there, be offered a career of soul-reaping! If the sim agrees, the Soul-Reaping Career will be unlocked for them and they become the Grim Reaper's Assistant.

Back to the Cu-Sith. If a sim chooses the FIGHT option and loses the fight, they'll become a werewolf - they'll find themselves with the ability to change from human form into wolf form.

When Cats and Dogs was released, many people said they really wanted to play as a cat/dog, so here's their chance. A sim - in dog/wolf form - could be completely controllable.

And as for Fairies, it is said that the Cu-Sithe would drag nursing mothers away as milk for the Fae Folk. So it's actually this dog-like creature that could tie the whole supernatural part of this pack together. While I don't think this would be something to add to the game (a hound dragging off a new mother), it definitely suggests a very strong bond between the Cu-Sithe and Fairies. A strong friendship between the two.

I'm starting to think Happy Haunts could turn into a very awesome EXPANSION PACK called Superstitions. B)

• NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited December 2020
    Leprechauns are Irish :-), scots are will o' the wisps, if you watched Disney brave its little light things that lead you too your fate you can say their fairies or spirits, they are spirits too scots lol , Scotland and Ireland are very similar in many ways with culture, slang, Gaelic the language, theres Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic, its kind of dead now in central Scotland, up the highlands I hear it still gets used up there, there is also our whisky scots and Irish often playfully debate who's whisky is better 😂, of course were similar with religion and landscape, kilts , were also different in many ways aswell, you can say were cousins :-), through history theres never been a war between Scotland and Ireland, we've allied lots of times, we've had little agruements in history but hey cousins sometimes agrue, also like cousins we never wanted to destroy each other and never will ever @whitmartinez
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Nikkih wrote: »
    Leprechauns are Irish :-), scots are will o' the wisps, if you watched Disney brave its little light things that lead you too your fate you can say their fairies or spirits, they are spirits too scots lol , Scotland and Ireland are very similar in many ways with culture, slang, Gaelic the language, theres Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic, its kind of dead now in central Scotland, up the highlands I hear it still gets used up there, there is also our whisky scots and Irish often playfully debate who's whisky is better 😂, of course were similar with religion and landscape, kilts , were also different in many ways aswell, you can say were cousins :-), through history theres never been a war between Scotland and Ireland, we've allied lots of times, we've had little agruements in history but hey cousins sometimes agrue, also like cousins we never wanted to destroy each other and never will ever @whitmartinez

@Nikkih Truth be told, I'd have preferred Scotland over Japan as the world for Snowy Escape.
    edited December 2020
    calaprfy wrote: »

@Nikkih Truth be told, I'd have preferred Scotland over Japan as the world for Snowy Escape.

Japan is soo beautiful though, every country has got its beauty spots, Scotland has got countryside beauty with green, thistles, mountains, hills, truth be told that Stirling castle was built on inactive volcano , of course theres lots of ruins, towers and castles and of course the Wallace monument for Scotlands hero, if you have any Scottish blood in you no matter how distant, hes your hero too, we wouldn't of existed today without him, England at somepoint wanted too genocide us, wipe us out, although England isnt that extreme anymore, the English government still treats us as a second class citizen, Andy Murray for an example is a Scottish tennis player, hes not English or British, hes Scottish, hes gets called British when he wins but when he loses hes gets called Scottish, I'm sorry hes Scottish whether he wins or not, Scotland earns alot of money but the English government takes most of it for themselves, please know that I only dislike the English government not England , I will be voting independence like a did before because of this, every government in the union jack isnt as equal as it should be, anyways I'm coming off topic, Scotland would be a good world too put on the sims 4 😊@calaprfy
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

Japan is soo beautiful though, every country has got its beauty spots, Scotland has got countryside beauty with green, thistles, mountains, hills, truth be told that Stirling castle was built on inactive volcano , of course theres lots of ruins, towers and castles and of course the Wallace monument for Scotlands hero, if you have any Scottish blood in you no matter how distant, hes your hero too, we wouldn't of existed today without him, England at somepoint wanted too genocide us, wipe us out, although England isnt that extreme anymore, the English government still treats us as a second class citizen, Andy Murray for an example is a Scottish tennis player, hes not English or British, hes Scottish, hes gets called British when he wins but when he loses hes gets called Scottish, I'm sorry hes Scottish whether he wins or not, Scotland earns alot of money but the English government takes most of it for themselves, please know that I only hate the English government not England , I will be voting independence like a did before because of this, every government in the union jack isnt as equal as it should be, anyways I'm coming off topic, Scotland would be a good world too put on the sims 4 😊@calaprfy

@Nikkih We own you, so show some respect and stand in line!!!

Just kidding! Nice to see another UK simmer. :)

Japan is soo beautiful though, every country has got its beauty spots, Scotland has got countryside beauty with green, thistles, mountains, hills, truth be told that Stirling castle was built on inactive volcano , of course theres lots of ruins, towers and castles and of course the Wallace monument for Scotlands hero, if you have any Scottish blood in you no matter how distant, hes your hero too, we wouldn't of existed today without him, England at somepoint wanted too genocide us, wipe us out, although England isnt that extreme anymore, the English government still treats us as a second class citizen, Andy Murray for an example is a Scottish tennis player, hes not English or British, hes Scottish, hes gets called British when he wins but when he loses hes gets called Scottish, I'm sorry hes Scottish whether he wins or not, Scotland earns alot of money but the English government takes most of it for themselves, please know that I only hate the English government not England , I will be voting independence like a did before because of this, every government in the union jack isnt as equal as it should be, anyways I'm coming off topic, Scotland would be a good world too put on the sims 4 😊@calaprfy

@Nikkih We own you, so show some respect and stand in line!!!

Just kidding! Nice to see another UK simmer. :)

Naw!! FREEEEEDOM ! 😂 @calaprfy
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I'm not really interested in Happy Haunts, but I'd like a Scottish Highlands world (and yes it would fit very well with something like Happy Haunts).
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited December 2020
    As someone living in Scotland I agree with a Happy Haunts pack being set in Scotland but I don't want to be selfish! We have prophets, bards and everything you could want plus a great sense of humour coming with it all. o:)

I haven't yet had the courage to go visit St Mary's Close in Edinburgh as I'm a bit of a coward. There's a Ghost bus tour that I might go on maybe, when the Covid crisis is over. It's an evening tour which makes it even more spooky!
    Simburian wrote: »
    As someone living in Scotland I agree with a Happy Haunts pack being set in Scotland but I don't want to be selfish! We have prophets, bards and everything you could want plus a great sense of humour coming with it all. o:)

I haven't yet had the courage to go visit St Mary's Close in Edinburgh as I'm a bit of a coward. There's a Ghost bus tour that I might go on maybe, when the Covid crisis is over. It's an evening tour which makes it even more spooky!

@Simburian - yes I was reading about all the Ghost Tours Scotland has. I read a line something like: "It is reported that Scotland offers the most Ghost Tours in the world!" I thought that might make a fun feature for the game too, if they add a Ghost Tour feature to Museums for night-time. We could build a castle as a museum, and then post signs around for the Tour Guide to talk about points while a group of sims follow. We already have the ability to put sims in a group at a museum and they'll "view together" all the pics, so adding a NPC Tour Guide who carries a lamp, dresses in a costume, and gestures dramatically could simulate a Ghost Tour at Night. And of course, Ghosts could come out to spook. Something a bit more fun for the museums. :)
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I'd like a dark mysterious style scottish world for occults but I'd be quietly flipping my lid if it included the cutesy disney version of fairies. Our fae are NOT nice.
    edited December 2020
    CelSims wrote: »
    I'd like a dark mysterious style scottish world for occults but I'd be quietly flipping my lid if it included the cutesy disney version of fairies. Our fae are NOT nice.

@CelSims - I agree with you, I would like Fae Folk quite a bit different than the previous version they did as well. I think if the same team that did Vampires works on Fairies they may have a bit more grunt.

I've always found it interesting at Sylvan Glades, you can find both Fairies and the eyes of what I always assumed were Werewolves. When I first went there I was expecting to come across some kind of scarey thing that would emerge from the forest, but alas, just FX. I still hope they're planning on using Sylvan Glades in some way, it seems such a waste for just fishing and picking a few harvestables you can find elsewhere anyway. And why did they put sinister red eyes in such fairy-like place? I've always found that intriguing. Sweet and sinister.

bqnblGq.jpg

• JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited December 2020
    CelSims wrote: »

@CelSims - I agree with you, I would like Fae Folk quite a bit different than the previous version they did as well. I think if the same team that did Vampires works on Fairies they may have a bit more grunt.

I've always found it interesting at Sylvan Glades, you can find both Fairies and the eyes of what I always assumed were Werewolves. When I first went there I was expecting to come across some kind of scarey thing that would emerge from the forest, but alas, just FX. I still hope they're planning on using Sylvan Glades in some way, it seems such a waste for just fishing and picking a few harvestables you can find elsewhere anyway. And why did they put sinister red eyes in such fairy-like place? I've always found that intriguing. Sweet and sinister.

bqnblGq.jpg

I would of liked if we can have clubs gather there so when they do introduce fairy’s they can hangout there & my sim can “discover” them.
  • loonatheworldloonatheworld Posts: 22 Member
    edited December 2020
    As a Scot I was a bit bummed when Realm of Magic didn't lean into the chance to include all sorts of magical things, like a magical world with mist and a loch with a mysterious monster in it, magic and fairies and unicorns (our national animal!) in a Scottish setting. I know the pack had nothing to do with Scotland, but I really do think it'd have fit and added some substance.

(And hey, Halloween itself was a Celtic invention originally. No better place for a spooky or Halloween-y pack that a Celtic country!).

I'd love to see the chance pop up again, as long as it is done well. The depiction of what was meant to be British (y'know, that term that means Scottish, Welsh, English, and Northern Irish) in Britechester was terrible lmao. There's a lot of pitfalls people fall into when representing Scotland or the UK as a whole and as long as they avoid those, I'd be happy to see a better look at our culture in the game.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    As a part Scot, I would love Scottish folklore as well as English, French & Native folklores in Sims 4.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    A Scottish Highlands pack with castles and moors and rolling hills full of sheep behind rock fences would also make a great Hotel Pack. Imagine a haunted hotel where the guests are scared awake and things float.
    @Justin - Yes! I suggested once - when the team was complaining about simmers never visiting these hidden lots - they should have a "Catch a Fairy" Challenge. Go to Sylvan Glades, catch a fairy like you can do with butterflies in Outdoor Retreat, and then take then home in a pretty cage.
    For this pack, they could then add a pop-up "O-Oh! Something else followed you home" - and there on your lot is a red-eyed CuSith, come to rescue the trapped fairy. :D

@loonatheworld - you said
    There's a lot of pitfalls people fall into when representing Scotland or the UK as a whole and as long as they avoid those
    - What would be the pitfalls they'd need to avoid, and what would be something essential to include?

@Dannydanbo - I would love to build a Haunted Castle as a hotel!
    I looked up Scottish Dragons for @Gordy , but nothing flying or fire-breathing. The closest they have is a Beither.

Beither - is a serpent-like Water Dragon that dwells in Mountain Caves and swims in Lochs. They can be encountered during lightning storms, and if a person is stung by this creature they must find their way to the nearest body of water and get there before the Beither does. If the Beither gets there first, the person will die! It has been suggested that Nellie the Loch Ness Monster is actually a Beither. We have our version of her in Windenburg, Emily.

AB3zOwh.jpg

I think it would be awesome to give our Emily more of a major role in our Scottland-inspired world. So far only her icon appears above
    sims heads when you talk about conspiracy theories, but I'd like to have actual sightings of her and be given an Emily Buff that lasts a few hours, and also a new Emily Trait: seen Emily - which adds a new social interaction to talk specifically about Emily. Sims can react to the story in different ways, depending on their traits. Some may disbelieve and laugh, those with the superstitious trait become fearful.

If there's to be more cave exploring, they could meet Emily and be stung, and then a pop up telling us that our sim must get to the nearest loch to save their lives. If Emily pops up besides them while they're in the water, they'll drown to death. If she doesn't, they'll live to tell the tale!
    I would love for my Mermaids to befriend Emily, the Loch Ness Monster. That would be so cool. B)
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 - awwww noooo! Quick! Type it all out again, I want to read about the werewolves of Ireland! Any ideas are fun to read. This is just a speculation thread, I wondered what the developers have in mind by offerening the Highlands as an option, but who knows, if they read a more interesting idea they may changed their mind, or incorporate some aspect of it. What would you like in your game, more inspiration from Ireland?

Ah, indeed! I was speaking of the Werewolves of Ossory, Ossory being one of the Kingdoms in the East of Ireland back in medieval times. This area is also quite famous for Witches.
    The Werewolves of Ossory are a band of warriors who are descended from a legendary man called Laignech Fáelad, the first man to turn into a wolf while hunting. Apparently he was also the brother of the King of Ossory. Fáelad means Werewolf in Irish Gaelic (which is slightly different to Scottish Gaelic).

Irish-Werewolves.jpg

There’s also a legend related to this about a man and a woman who change into wolves every 7 years and travel to a different realm.
    If they survive after another 7 years they need to return to the human world and find two substitutes in order to turn back into their human form. If they cannot manage this during these 7 years they will change back into wolves again, travel back to the other realm and wait for the next cycle to end.
    I’m sure they’re still at it to this day. 😉

I’m all for supernatural Sim lore inspired by European and Celtic myths and legends.
    A world inspired by the Highlands of Scotland would perfectly suit a pack including haunts, myths, fae and other monsters.
    The creators of the world of Dragonvalley in Sims3 took a lot of Inspiration from Ireland in both names and landscape, but we didn’t quite have a proper Scottish Loch surrounded by misty mountains and old castles just yet.

I would love a new ‘Monster Hunter’ career and for sims to be able to use torches and flashlights in the dark.

I very much agree that in-depth superstitious traits and fears have to be implemented though.
    At this stage Kids should not be the only sims who can get scared of the monster under the bed...
    Wow, I love the historical Irish lore of the Werewolves. Very cool & interesting. B)
    We need nessie the loch ness monster with her hat
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 - thanks for telling us about the The Ossory Werewolves. I looked Laignech Fáelad last night and read a bit more about the warriors. Oh those pagans - they certainly knew what to do with all those superflous kids! :s

A Monster Hunter Career would definitely need a brave trait. It could be a self-interaction to summon courage to overcome all the new fear buffs when the player wanted. Handy when fighting off all the scarey things and for plunging into freezing cold waters! A Monster Hunter could also make an interesting Aspiration. Encounter all kinds of supernaturals, summon ghosts with a spirit board, spend a night in a haunted castle, meet Grim, befriend Emily, rescue Fae from being captured at Sylvan Glades, win a fight against a werewolf. They could make a really fun EP.
  • stewbystewby Posts: 79 Member
    Scottish highlander here.
    Would love a Scottish pack. I love our stereotypes so wouldn't be offended if all the NPCs were ginger, played bagpipes and fried everything in sight (google battered mars bar and pizza crunch for details).

I would love a good sea har that would clear up to reveal beautiful turquoise waters.

Castles are one of my favourite things in Scotland... for haunted styles, there would be Dunnottar Castle I think. Google it, it is exactly what I think a haunted castle should be, all alone on a clifftop.
    🥰

If they do decide Scotland, don't forget irn bru. Made with girders you know... could tie into the eco living pack.
    😉
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I thought I should swing by this thread again since my Sim was wearing a kilt today.

50708896492_a585046603_b.jpg
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I thought I should swing by this thread again since my Sim was wearing a kilt today.

50708896492_a585046603_b.jpg

Reminds me of the time I had Sims 3 and put every tartan I could find in CAS. I think I broke it!

I'm surprised we haven't got a kilt in Sims 4, except for a Japanese schoolgirl's one. I didn't like that. It felt wrong to me.