Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• Mileyx12Mileyx12 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey guys! I’m new to this forum thing so if I’m in the wrong spot please redirect me! I’ve been playing sims (all ranges) for about 14 years. I currently play TS4 with a few (hundred) amateur mods. I noticed back in October that children could help clean off toddlers and help them by carrying them, I thought this was a really good idea and awesome update, as an older sister I often looked after my brother! However I’ve noticed that it’s gone and it was classed as a “bug”. Any ideas how I can mention this to the TS4 team? Many thanks
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Go slow, don't rush the experience. You will miss out on a ton of different things!

I kinda made that mistake. :#;)
    Too much too fast.

Me too
  • Charla97Charla97 Posts: 66 Member
    Hello my name is Charla. I'm new to the Sims 4 but have enjoyed it so far and look forward to discovering more. I'm currently not well sadly - not Covid thank goodness - an infection in my stomach and bladder, I was in hospital on Monday and let out on Tuesday night but think I'll be back in tomorrow as still in lots of pain and not feeling very well. This time I'll make sure I take my laptop so I can do some Sims playing.

Nice to meet you all!
  • YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    @Charla97 Welcome, I hope that sims will bring you joy.
    I also really hope you will feel better soon! Definitely take your laptop, Sims is a great game to play when you don't feel well.
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    Nice to meet you. Get well soon and stay healthy.
  • Charla97Charla97 Posts: 66 Member
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Oh and does any one know any good tips on building houses in the Sims 4 I've been trying but I'm pretty rubbish at it.
    edited December 2020
    Charla97 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Oh and does any one know any good tips on building houses in the Sims 4 I've been trying but I'm pretty rubbish at it.

I would suggest watching some good building tutorials on YT, I think building in TS4 is quite intuitive and even people like me, who are generally not as gifted with building skills can create nice builds.

Another tip is to get to know all the building tools and cheats as it will make your life easier :)
    And my last tip is to get references and look for inspiration everywhere. You can look for photos of real houses in the style you want to create and then try to recreate them. It is especially useful if you want to create houses in different style than you see around your town. Like here in Czech republic we have mainly very simple houses that look nothing like the american ones, so when I want to create something in more US style I always look for pictures :)
    Or maybe check this YT channel, they have a lot of easy to follow builds and also it can sparkle your inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOXkQyIIwsqZfdMOlzZWkyg
  • MillyMilly Posts: 17 Member
    I have an ep idea but idk how to post it
  • MomobreadMomobread Posts: 43 Member
    I had Sims 2 before, but that was 14 years ago. Whew! It's been so long since I played again. I've played over for two and a half months now and since Sims 4 had a lot of differences with the Sims 2 (that I could vaguely remember), I had to discover a lot of new things and rediscover some. I went in pretty much blind so there were a lot of things I wished I discovered sooner:

▪Customization of Gender - I didn't know this existed until I stumbled upon it. My couples were mostly of the same sex and I adopted a child/children for them each and every time. I didn't even know male Sims could get pregnant until one of my Sims got abducted and got impregnated by an alien!

▪Creating Buildings of any kind - I spent 3 days just trying to figure out what's what and how it would work. I'm pretty sure I'm stil not aware of how some works, actually. I didn't know that I could raise the level of the building and it would instantly create a thick foundation, and finally have that deck I've been wanting for ages. Manipulating the roof was a real headache.

▪Customized Kitchen Cabinets, Islands, and Counters - I actually found out about it only three days ago. It's been keeping me up all night for some time now. I keep wondering where these half cabinets and full cabinets keep coming from, how Islands had curved shapes even when I tried piecing them together so many times and there's only edges. I got so furstrated I searched it up and finally looked for help like I should have been doing in the first place.

▪Vampires forcefully drinking plasma and being caught is a landslide of reputation - This should have been common sense but I thought I could get away with it. It was my first time creating a Vampire Sim, and after that one incident where she was seen sucking someone without their permission, the calls about her atrocious behavior never stopped.

▪The Fruitcake - Seriously, what was in that fruitcake? Almost all my Sims hated it with vengeance that there's still an option for them to complain about it years later, except for one Sim who liked it so much he went in for seconds.

▪Ambrosia pet treat and Age down treat- If I had known this existed sooner, My Sim wouldn't have a spirit elder dog in her household and she still cries over him on his grave in the front yard even when her spirit dog is inside her house waiting for her to fill his bowl...

I had a lot more, but the ones in the list were of the things I genuinely mused over for hours.
    29f133cf659275dfe489edf6400a35dae18fd460_hq.gif
  • ChingMeiLeeChingMeiLee Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Momobread said:

> ▪Customized Kitchen Cabinets, Islands, and Counters - I actually found out about it only three days ago. It's been keeping me up all night for some time now. I keep wondering where these half cabinets and full cabinets keep coming from, how Islands had curved shapes even when I tried piecing them together so many times and there's only edges. I got so furstrated I searched it up and finally looked for help like I should have been doing in the first place.
    >
    > ▪Ambrosia pet treat and Age down treat- If I had known this existed sooner, My Sim wouldn't have a spirit elder dog in her household and she still cries over him on his grave in the front yard even when her spirit dog is inside her house waiting for her to fill his bowl...
    >

For kitchen's you can choose auto place and then it automatically makes corners like the sims 3. I think the sims 2 did that too. But when you choose the colour you can also choose to put in a corner instead of a strait middle piece. And the end pieces can't hold sinks I believe, but they often look different. They make your kitchen look nice, and have the same food preparation possibilities.

If you have a pet that died and your sim is a vet or has the crafting skills for animal drugs on a high level he can make a treat that can resurrect your ghost dog or cat. So you can use that to make your sad sim happy again by giving him/her back the dog.

Goodluck on all of the other quests you have in the sims 4. It has so many options so sometimes things are a bit difficult to figure out. I hope you like the game even though it has it's challenges.
  • EmersedCrownEmersedCrown Posts: 120 Member
    My top tip would be to try challenges. I got stuck in a rut where I would start a family, play them for a few weeks and then get bored. I really like that challenges give you more focused goals to aim for, but also make your gameplay really varied.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a full list of them in the Creative Corner category. I started with the History Challenge and did the Decades Challenge and I highly recommend both if you're into history. I also made my own challenge called Great British Sim Challenge which is also a history challenge, but focused on British history.

If you're not into history, there's loads of other themes: Disney Princesses; babies; superheroes; build challenges; something about berries... (I've never properly looked into this challenge, but it seems to be super popular)....

So, yeah - my top tip is to try challenges!
  • MomobreadMomobread Posts: 43 Member
    > @ChingMeiLee said:
    > >
    >
    > For kitchen's you can choose auto place and then it automatically makes corners like the sims 3. I think the sims 2 did that too. But when you choose the colour you can also choose to put in a corner instead of a strait middle piece. And the end pieces can't hold sinks I believe, but they often look different. They make your kitchen look nice, and have the same food preparation possibilities.
    >
    > If you have a pet that died and your sim is a vet or has the crafting skills for animal drugs on a high level he can make a treat that can resurrect your ghost dog or cat. So you can use that to make your sad sim happy again by giving him/her back the dog.
    >
    > Goodluck on all of the other quests you have in the sims 4. It has so many options so sometimes things are a bit difficult to figure out. I hope you like the game even though it has it's challenges.
    >
    >

Thank you! I already know how to do all of them though, but I wished I knew them sooner. I youtubed how to do the Kitchen counters, islands and cabinets, and I accidentally saw the treats on the vet vending machine. I did buy them and gave back my sim her pet dog but when my sim died and was replaced by her descendants, I let my dog age naturally after that so they'd go together.

The game has been very much enjoyable for me, and more so the challenges! Even though I wanted to know them sooner, I still tried to find out on my own-- kind of like a challenge to myself on how to play the game without being guided and figuring out things for myself.
    29f133cf659275dfe489edf6400a35dae18fd460_hq.gif
  • XxSimmerTiaraXXXxSimmerTiaraXX Posts: 2 New Member
    Hmm. I'll say before making Sims movies or a Sims series, I'd highly suggest getting all the mods you can think of getting to make it as realistic and high quality as possible. Also make sure your Sims are built right, and have some diversity. Same thing goes for houses and buildings too, just make sure they don't look unrealistic and like a box unless that's what you're going for. Pssst: Sims 4 University has toilet stalls in it, something the base game should've had lol.
  • intothehorizoneintothehorizone Posts: 88 Member
    Sort of new to the forums (so I'm not sure if this has been said already), but don't be afraid to experiment with some of the more "negative" traits on your sims. I know it may seem a bit daunting at first, but depending on the type of sim you're making, negative/mixed traits can be quite fun to mess around with (for example, I'm currently playing a vampire sim with the kleptomaniac trait; and I've found that the 'eternally welcome' perk + that skill make for a pretty fun combo).
  • Cosy_CatastopheCosy_Catastophe Posts: 77 Member
    @XxTigertailxX I like the negative side too, makes the happy moments worthwhile for me!

Picked up the Sims 4 in the recent sale and loving it so far - working on my first legacy to learn the ropes!
  • Saleisha3Saleisha3 Posts: 1 New Member
    :'( NEED HELP FOR MY SIM4.
    I Have restored my game as I just purchased SNOW expansion pack for add on. However, sth happened to my restaurant!!! maybe bug I don't know. There are NO HOST OPTION TO HIRE. Normally, we need one host one waiter and one chief to start the business. but after updated "HOST" OPTION IS disappeared !!!! anyone know how to fix. much appreciated thanks
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Saleisha3 wrote: »
    :'( NEED HELP FOR MY SIM4.
    I Have restored my game as I just purchased SNOW expansion pack for add on. However, sth happened to my restaurant!!! maybe bug I don't know. There are NO HOST OPTION TO HIRE. Normally, we need one host one waiter and one chief to start the business. but after updated "HOST" OPTION IS disappeared !!!! anyone know how to fix. much appreciated thanks

When you build a restaurant those people will auto populate, providing you have met all the criteria for the restaurant lot type, which is in the drop down at the upper left on screen in build mode.
  • PixilatedPixilated Posts: 42 Member
    Hi everyone!
    I've been playing the sims since the first one. Have always loved the sims, even when my first sim boyfriend back in the sims 1 through my present on the floor and stomped on it 😭.
    I'm one of those people that looks through the
    Well, it seems I'm off to a great start...I don't see how to edit my post so I guess I'll continue here >_<
    I'm one of those people that looks through the forums and wants to post a comment but after second and third guessing myself I chicken out and don't post anything. Exhibit A, my unfinished post above. I might have deleted it but accidentally hit post while on my phone so now I'm committed. Can't back down now.
    I love the sims and look forward to being an actual part of the community instead of a bystander.
    Have a great day and Happy Simming!!!
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    Pixilated wrote: »
    Well, it seems I'm off to a great start...I don't see how to edit my post so I guess I'll continue here >_<
    I'm one of those people that looks through the forums and wants to post a comment but after second and third guessing myself I chicken out and don't post anything. Exhibit A, my unfinished post above. I might have deleted it but accidentally hit post while on my phone so now I'm committed. Can't back down now.
    I love the sims and look forward to being an actual part of the community instead of a bystander.
    Have a great day and Happy Simming!!!

Welcome, don't chicken out. Most of us will welcome you happily.
    > @Behappy1st said:
    > Welcome, don't chicken out. Most of us will welcome you happily.

Thank you! I've always loved this community and have been wanting to be a more active part of it, so I guess I'm happy I accidentally hit post the first time!
    Welcome, enjoy your simming and you will unlock editing posts once you start posting more :)
    > @Yautjagirl said:
    > Welcome, enjoy your simming and you will unlock editing posts once you start posting more :)

That's very good to know. I had even Googled it and couldn't find the gear icon mentioned. Thank you!
  • Erika2502Erika2502 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, i wanted to know how to have twins or triplets in Sims 4, i tried using cheats but i dont think it worked. And also i would like to know if it's possible to abort a baby🤣yes i am a terrible person
    @Erika2502 you can't get rid of a baby without a mod (Little Ms Sam has mods for misscariage and abortion)
    and for twins I think you can add lot trait to your lot that will give you better chances of having twins and also purchase a fertile reward trait :) That's all I can think of.