Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Venue Types

The game needs a lot more venue types. Imo, bowling should not have to have been a "bar". It should have had it's own venue type. Why? Because sims going to it do not bowl! They hang out at the bar. In this image of my bowling alley, the only people bowling are my sim and the sim she asked. The others are a group I set up to bowl so that when I go, it actually looks like a bowling alley.

jxITZSz.png

If not for me setting it up like that, not a single sim on that lot would be bowling autonomously.

In the future, I'd like to see a lot more lot types, and also some fixes to the way sims are coded to those lots. Please and thanks.

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited July 2017
    I didn't set up any bowling "clubs" and had other groups of sims bowling when mine were.. I just set down the venue and went.
    2wdvbdx.png
    2v01mqf.png

*edited in that lot is made by @MDianaSanders. It's really fun looking.
    egTcBMc.png
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I just loaded that save game it's set up as a lounge. Maybe that will help?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    I do agree with fullspiral here........we need more venues and more slots for said venues. Maybe if you want a bar/bowling place? Then you could set it up with both. Make it both bowling AND bar. That way you have a smattering of activity in both areas, not just one. Like for instance.....I know some people, me included, that want both a retail store and to be able to live above said retail store. However, you can't have a sim live in a retail venue nor have a retail store on a lot that is labeled as residential. It would be awesome if we could do both.

Other venue ideas would be:

Daycare/elderly centers--I get that Daycare facilities are a rabbit hole, but I would love to see one in action. Could open up another career for our simmies too. And only babies to kids can be there too with only a couple of adults (workers) taking care of said children. As for elderly centers? Maybe have a place where elders can interact with each other.......new activities like water aerobics, shuffleboard, poker games (you could see simoleons being placed in the middle for a prize), bingo, among other ones you can think of.

Make the movie theaters an actual venue..........sure, right now, you can build one and all. Have them meet up there and take in a movie, but you have to facilitate the activity. You have to click the screen and figure out which one of the movies youre going to show. With this venue lot, it means you can see your sims purchase a ticket (maybe have an option box pop up with a list of movies to choose from and choose it for them), see them go automatically up to the snack bar and order their popcorn and candy (depending on how things go, maybe this one would be automatic as well?), and then watch them watch the movie (as you would at home). This could also lead to some funny interactions too. You could have your sim try and awkwardly hold hands with their date, to kiss (while seated) on the cheek, and maybe (if they have a seat in the back) try and get away with a little bit more than just kissing lol.

Aquariums--This would be nice to see! Right now we only have fish and that would be kind of fun. With the pets ep (IF we get one) they should add marine life to it so we could add on

Comedy Clubs--THIS......this right here would be amazing since there IS an entertainer career already. They could appear in comedy night clubs and you could have a chance to see them at work!! And even if you don't have an entertainer sim, you could go to a comedy club to watch a live performance.

That's all I have for now though.......
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Interesting ideas there. Sims2 provides for the home/retail if your sim owned the business. Community lots are generic, so what you put there for interactable objects determines what sort of venue it is. Mix and match to heart's content. Another example of 4 being less than 2.
  • KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    edited July 2017
    They bowl in my game. In fact I've had to remove a few bowling alleys from a couple bars and nightclubs I had just because I didn't want everyone to be bowling.

I mostly disagree with the idea. Each venue type is set up to have visitors perform certain autonomous actions i.e. drink drinks at a bar, dance at a nightclub. There isn't nearly enough things from the bowling pack to set up a list of things for sims to do at a bowling venue. They'll literally just go and bowl.

In this respect, I actually like the way they implemented the bowling to current venues.
    Sims2 bowling alleys also contain snack bars with seating area, other game types in their own room, and one of them has a pool table. All of which I've seen at real bowling establishments. TS4 venue naming is too restrictive.
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited July 2017
    When I played bowling, other teams did come. I guess I don't mind that it's listed as a "bar" but "bar" isn't family friendly in the sense, a destination for kids. All of my Sims are YA except my toddler, but she's too little to go bowling anyway. I always liked the newer bowling/bar venues in real life. Places where you can order a drink, eat food, mingle and play cosmic bowling. ETA I dl a lot from the gallery that looks more like a bar/club than a normal bowling alley.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree with @fullspiral. Although I do find sims bowl but there is a lot of sims I've noticed who come and just hang at the bar and don't go near the bowling lane.

Is it not because sims need the bar to make the lot look full? I.e it's a high attraction object for sims? I read that somewhere I think once. Don't quote me, it may be not true.

But it is weird that unless it's a spa or a gym or children's park, the venue needs a bar to function.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I want a venue set as 'hangout' where we can put anything on it, like we fake parks etc. and Sims still show up and use all the stuff. Because the game is so restrictive, if you mix items you wind up with less Sims at parks, or so called malls etc. If we had a 'hangout' venue which attracted say fourteen Sims then they could use all the stuff without worrying about what to call it or what not to add that makes them not show up.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I want a venue set as 'hangout' where we can put anything on it, like we fake parks etc. and Sims still show up and use all the stuff. Because the game is so restrictive, if you mix items you wind up with less Sims at parks, or so called malls etc. If we had a 'hangout' venue which attracted say fourteen Sims then they could use all the stuff without worrying about what to call it or what not to add that makes them not show up.

Problem with that is that thats too vague. They have venue names for a reason.......its so that sims who are bartenders will automatically be set as the bartenders at the venue.......same with restaurants. Plus, hangout places makes me think of teens. So really, if you want a venue that is non-restrictive to who comes, maybe allow us to set npcs to work at the places that we set. Like if I have a bar.....options of bartender npcs will show up and you just click one. Set up a nightclub? a pop-up comes up and lets you pick the DJ......ect. Also, if there are to be non-restrictive venues, then we need a "teen only hangout", "Young Adult/Adult only hang out", and an "elder hangout". This would allow for people to find npcs to be friends with of their own age. Also, if a teen starts to chill at a teen only hangout.......then I think that more teens should be tied to calling your teen sim to come hang out at that place........same with the other ages.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited July 2017
    Bear31 wrote: »

Problem with that is that thats too vague. They have venue names for a reason.......its so that sims who are bartenders will automatically be set as the bartenders at the venue.......same with restaurants. Plus, hangout places makes me think of teens. So really, if you want a venue that is non-restrictive to who comes, maybe allow us to set npcs to work at the places that we set. Like if I have a bar.....options of bartender npcs will show up and you just click one. Set up a nightclub? a pop-up comes up and lets you pick the DJ......ect. Also, if there are to be non-restrictive venues, then we need a "teen only hangout", "Young Adult/Adult only hang out", and an "elder hangout". This would allow for people to find npcs to be friends with of their own age. Also, if a teen starts to chill at a teen only hangout.......then I think that more teens should be tied to calling your teen sim to come hang out at that place........same with the other ages.

In my thinking, if a bar is set up on a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 venue, then it should generate a bartender. Whether it's a pool, gym, etc. But it shouldn't override everything else that the lot has to offer. People should still go swimming, or work out, but the option should be there if the creator decides to add one. And it should be up to the lot creator as to whether they want their sims to sip a drink by the pool or not. Just because it's a bar shouldn't mean it takes precedent over other activities, but it should be useful on any lot we wish to put it on.

That's why I wonder how these items are coded and I think it's taking a lot of creativity away from us. It shouldnt be about the lot type, or the lot objects. Even though they've managed to make lots appear busy, it feels very restrictive.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Not popular opinion, but I think lot types shouldn't affect lots. They should just be kept as classifications. Better way of handling things: allow objects to attract sims or change the behaviour theme of the lot.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    Not popular opinion, but I think lot types shouldn't affect lots. They should just be kept as classifications. Better way of handling things: allow objects to attract sims or change the behaviour theme of the lot.

Problem with that is that if you wanted a retail and residential place and you had both, the game would be confused at which was which. I like the lot types, but there should be more than just one slot for them so if you wanted a movie theater/bar? They'd do both.....not just mill around the bar.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2017
    This is why traits are so important. Traits should also determine which activities Sims are most attracted to on a lot. More active Sims should congregate on the lanes. More social or lazy Sims would hang out at the bar, etc.

It makes no logical sense the way these lots have been designated. It was tried in TS3 (including the laundry list of required items) and, thankfully, it was changed to something less ridiculous. The best option is to give a lot a general focus, yet, still allow the lot's creator to determine what activities can be present. Period.

This game was once marketed with the "You rule" slogan. Three years in, it's time for the game to live up to that.

I use the TS4 as a storytelling tool because, for me, as a game, TS4 is totally borked. Even so, because the coding is so determined to dominate the program in my stead, I find myself fighting for control the majority of the time. When autonomy is turned OFF, I still don't have control of whether Sims sit or stand, even. As soon as a Sim is directed to speak to another, they immediately look to plonk their behinds in a chair. WHY?

The lot restrictions are yet another hurdle. For example, why is only one bar in a venue manned? If I put ten bars, I should have ten bartenders dang it!
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    Sims2 managed to have a generic 'community' lot work quite well. Depending on what items were placed in it, you got the appropriate NPCs to operate them. Bars=bartenders, cash registers=teen cashiers, podiums=restaurant hostess, proper stove=cook, etc. Everything worked just fine without any specific designations for lot type. Residential/shop/store combos were routine and easy. If a many years old game got it right there is no rational reason for TS4 to not follow suit, even if the programming languages differ. Sort of like translating from Greek into English. Then, who said TS4 is rational?
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2017

Problem with that is that if you wanted a retail and residential place and you had both, the game would be confused at which was which. I like the lot types, but there should be more than just one slot for them so if you wanted a movie theater/bar? They'd do both.....not just mill around the bar.

Community lots vs Retails should be seperate, I agree. The Rest - just make it non-functional categories in the community lots. Why do we have to keep up with this limitations?

Sims2 managed to have a generic 'community' lot work quite well. Depending on what items were placed in it, you got the appropriate NPCs to operate them. Bars=bartenders, cash registers=teen cashiers, podiums=restaurant hostess, proper stove=cook, etc. Everything worked just fine without any specific designations for lot type. Residential/shop/store combos were routine and easy. If a many years old game got it right there is no rational reason for TS4 to not follow suit, even if the programming languages differ. Sort of like translating from Greek into English. Then, who said TS4 is rational?

Exactly my point
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

In my thinking, if a bar is set up on a plum venue, then it should generate a bartender. Whether it's a pool, gym, etc. But it shouldn't override everything else that the lot has to offer. People should still go swimming, or work out, but the option should be there if the creator decides to add one. And it should be up to the lot creator as to whether they want their sims to sip a drink by the pool or not. Just because it's a bar shouldn't mean it takes precedent over other activities, but it should be useful on any lot we wish to put it on.

That's why I wonder how these items are coded and I think it's taking a lot of creativity away from us. It shouldnt be about the lot type, or the lot objects. Even though they've managed to make lots appear busy, it feels very restrictive.

We agree about this, if I put a bar at a pool then there should be a bartender and Sims should use both. That is why since GTW I have been setting lots as retail and not setting anything for sale, that way it has employees working and cleaning the place and my Sims and others use the stuff and it has a lot more Sims show up than say a park.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.