Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Limiting Ice Cream Truck hours

So I know how annoying the ice cream truck can be... but I mostly just tune it out, myself.

However, I would like it to have more realistic hours. Mainly, only showing up during the summer season.

I have NRAAS Retuner, and have gone into the Tunable XML, into the Gameplay.Objects.Vehicles, and found the Ice Cream Truck and Ice Cream Truck Manager. In the Manager, there are the hours of operation, regular and summer. I figure for the regular, that means winter/fall/spring, and so I made both of those values 0 (so it's zero o'clock to zero o'clock). Then I tweaked the summer hours of operation so it's only afternoon-evening.

Still, though, I was seeing the truck show up in the fall... and now, still in the spring.

Is there another area I am missing to fix my ice cream truck hours? Another mod perhaps? (I have looked at the Traffic mod, but it doesn't do anything with hours of operation).
@igazor or anyone?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    You could try different Retuner settings by season instead of using General. At least, I assume you are using General.

My sense is that if the Ice Cream Trucks could be properly controlled by mere tuning that way, then we wouldn't need a script mod (Traffic) to do so. Twallan didn't go around creating and using script mods just because he was good at it, he did look for the most efficient ways to do things at each turn.

But this would be a good question for our current developer if interested in pursuing it -- what exactly does Traffic do with these trucks that Retuner seemingly cannot?

In the meantime, if the above idea tuning by season doesn't work either, I would suggest changing the number of trucks to zero and back in Traffic each time the seasons change. If the hours of operation do honor your settings in the summer whereas they did not before, then for that part of it I'd say you made a good find there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    Yeah, I was using General settings... I'll try with the season-by-season approach and see what happens.

I mean, I can ignore them of course, but it just seems odd to have an ice cream truck parked outside in the wintertime!
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    I use "Traffic" to disable that ice cream truck entirely. I cannot stand it. >:)
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I mod it out. It's exceptionally creepy, I can't stand it either. Plus, it would always just stop in the middle of some road somewhere, and half the time wouldn't even start moving again.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I use NRaas traffic to let the ice cream truck show up in the warmer seasons and also let food trucks show up in spring or fall and sometimes in the winter if it's not too snowy.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I mod it out. It's exceptionally creepy, I can't stand it either. Plus, it would always just stop in the middle of some road somewhere, and half the time wouldn't even start moving again.
    I only allow one to spawn on community lots. Quite glitchy like you said. It pulled away from my sim as she was ordering. how rude 0.0
    31926490155_6293f6575b_o.png
    31809958621_279e8a0091_o.png

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • TrishiegeekTrishiegeek Posts: 5 New Member
    Baha, sorry, but that's great ☺ such a great ice cream truck
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I'm reasonably sure that the ice cream trucks in my real life neighborhood are fronts for something else, but I've never been able to figure out for what (not that I've spent much time worrying about it). Mostly what they like to do is congregate in front of my window with their jingle going full blast for hours. They aren't really in front of my window (it's an echo effect) and I'm not on the ground floor anyway, but it just sounds like it when I'm trying to recover from a migraine and would rather not close all the windows.

I wouldn't miss them in-game myself if they became a bit more scarce. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    You are all so techy, so far all I have been doing is shift clicking and deleting the object. :D Of course it comes back a few days later, I just keep deleting it! lol!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    You are all so techy, so far all I have been doing is shift clicking and deleting the object. :D Of course it comes back a few days later, I just keep deleting it! lol!
    NRaas mods are life. :p

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    I honestly don't really mind it or find it creepy... I just want it to run on more realistic hours lol.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited January 2017

I used to do that too, until I got fed up with it.
    It really used to make me feel all weird and prickly when I would just be watching my sims outside, and everywhere they went, here came this ice cream truck following them, crawling at a snails pace.

It was kind of like watching some clown-like version of "Christine"

Edit - SERIOUSLY? This forum edits the word pr.ickly ?
    good grief. Lame.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    Okay, so went back and fiddled with my settings in Retuner season by season.
    Spring just started in my game, so I'll see if it shows up or not lol. (Not supposed to).
    Well, I saw the truck earlier today, or maybe yesterday? (It's spring). So I guess I have to keep playing around with stuff lol.