Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Edit Town (moving questions)

So I haven't really used Edit Town all that much, except earlier to add in more lots/houses.

My question(s) stem from thinking of getting my family into a new house. I had considered just renovating the one they have a bit more but I found one in the library/bin that I'd like to try out.

I'm just not quite sure on the process of switching them.

I would like to keep them on the same lot but just switch out the houses.

So would I evict the family first, then bulldoze the house, then copy the bin house to the lot, and then move them back in? Then everything would be like it was, just with a different house? I mean, they would keep everything (moodlets, rewards, etc.) with them? (And obviously if I wanted to keep any furniture, etc. I would put that in their family inventory...)

Also, if I wanted to keep the old house, would it be in my bin? Do I have to copy it first or something? Just in case I feel like going back to that one and don't like the other bin house.

I'm really not sure how all this works lol. So any advice would be awesome and amazing.

(And yeah I realize I could just not save my changes and return to my game and try again but I'd prefer to do this on one go).

Also: vaguely related -- IF I decided instead for them to move somewhere else and just keep the old house where it is, should I remove all the furniture/downgrade it a bit first so it's cheaper for a new family to buy it?
Just curious about this; I don't think I'll be going this route but instead just keep them where they are but in a different house.

Comments

• Cait_lynCait_lyn Posts: 71 Member
    When you evict a family, all their lifetime rewards, happiness points, whatever's in their personal inventory and the family inventory will still be there. Any moodlets they have will be gone, though. Wishes that you've promised will be gone too and you'll get quite a few suggested. Pretty much like if you move them to a new town.
    If you want to save the old house, after you evict the family you can click the house and there'll be a button that says "save to library" or "save to bin."
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    If I understand your question correctly. Since you have things in the house that you don't want to loose, what I do then is move the family (in game) to another lot, and this will give you the option of packing all their stuff in their family inventory. I usually pick an empty lot. Once they get moved, go into edit town, and do what you want to the old house (delete it, and place the new house). If the house cost more than the family has, just use the freerealestate cheat to move them back in. There are some other money cheats that will allow you to remove the excess cash from their funds. I use the master controller mod, so I can't remember exactly what they are, because there is a slight differences in how the cheats work with this mod and with out it.

If you decide that you want to move to a new world, but keep the family in the same home, just go into edit town mode, and click on the house. You'll have an option to save the family with or with out their home. Also in edit town mode there is an option to move the house to a different location in the same town as well.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    The thing that might happen if you evict them to the clipboard and replace their house with a new one, is the new house may be too expensive for them to move into.

I think it would be safer to follow the process of moving them to a different temporary house in the game and then swap the houses on the lot and then move them into the new house if they can afford it.
  • baturhulyabaturhulya Posts: 198 Member
    @OriginalMara Congratulations for passing your sims University exam. with flying colors.You have earned +10 moodlet for 4h. :p What you are planing to do is right,and if you plan to keep the old house you have to save it to the bin,and yes if you keep it at starter basis it will be cheaper,it will anyways be cheaper as the initial price because it is now second hand.Each time a household moves in and out again the price goes down.Have fun :)
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited September 2016
    So would I evict the family first, then bulldoze the house, then copy the bin house to the lot, and then move them back in? Then everything would be like it was, just with a different house? I mean, they would keep everything (moodlets, rewards, etc.) with them? (And obviously if I wanted to keep any furniture, etc. I would put that in their family inventory...)

In my experience the household will lose moodlets and promised wishes. They'll also cease to be the active family, so after moving them back in you'll have to click on their map tag and make them active again.
    Also, if I wanted to keep the old house, would it be in my bin? Do I have to copy it first or something? Just in case I feel like going back to that one and don't like the other bin house.

You would have to save it yourself by clicking on the map tap (before bulldozing it) and using the option to copy it to the bin.

For what you want to do, that is:
    I would like to keep them on the same lot but just switch out the houses.

I second the suggestion to move them into a temporary home first, using the real estate option on the phone.

Or, you could put the new house in the town somewhere (from Edit Town) on a lot the same size or smaller as the old house, and then have the family move there. Play for a while and see if you like the house. If you do, then go back into Edit Town, copy the old house to the bin, bulldoze it, then use the move lot tool to move the new house to the old lot. I've done that somewhat recently and don't recall losing any promised wishes (can't speak for moodlets though). If you don't like the new house, just move back to the old one. The tool to move lots around only moves lots onto empty lots the same size or larger, so you'd need to take that into account when placing the new house.
  • OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    Well, promised wishes and moodlets are pretty temporary anyway, so that's not a big deal. I was more concerned about the other stuff. But I see I was worrying for nothing lol.

Hmm... if I copy my house to the bin/library, does it save all the furnishings, too? That way if I go back to it, it'll be the same. (Or if I wanted someone else/inactive Sims to live in it, could I have it be unfurnished, so it'd be cheaper for them? Or I imagine, I'd probably just remove the second floor and some square footage, make it smaller, more affordable...)

And money shouldn't be a problem. They already have more money than this other house costs. (And if I save some of their furniture to the family inventory, it'll save money on setting up the new house). Actually more money than I know what to do with haha. Which is why I was thinking of going with the new house route instead of just remodeling the current one, since I'm not sure what I would change.

Yeah, I think it might be easier to just put in the other house and have them move to it, without using evict at all. I'm pretty sure I still have an empty lot or two that would fit the new house. And no bothering with switching back to the active family then.

Thanks, guys! I'll fiddle around with some stuff.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Yes, if you save your house to the library, it will save with all the furniture. I recently went back and saved a previous adventurer's vacation house to use for my current adventurer, and found that the storage chest in the house was still full of collectible relics. Oops!