Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Emigration Question (NRAAS SP)

So I've just recently gotten back into my game after a few months hiatus, and was just tinkering around my mod settings. (So I could get them how I want them before importing them to a new game).

Anyway, I realized my town is too full and instead of just manually evicting people to open up some houses (either to keep them empty or maybe to demolish to create other kinds of lots), I wanted to use the emigration setting from the Story Progression mod.

I read up on it. Know that I can set the emigration ratio... and then if I want pick individual households to emigrate (if I don't want it random) or let it be random but let it notify me ahead of time who it's emigrating so I don't lose households I do want to keep.

However... I cannot for the life of me find the setting for the emigration ratio. I looked at all the documentation, looked through all sorts of things in the mod settings, and it's just not there. Not where it says it's supposed to be.

So either I missed it... or it's moved... or I'm losing my mind? Some help would be appreciated!

Comments

• TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    It might be better to retreat to edit town and save the surplus families to the bin and library them for later to thin out the population because the other way removes them permanantly from the town.That's how I'd move them out if I didn't want them in the town anymore.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    And just where have you been? :p

Don't know how much help this is going to be since I help edit the documentation at NRaas and that one looks correct to me.
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options:Emigration/Immigration > Emigration Ratio.

Two things, though:
    -- SP's progression must be active and in control or you won't get to see many settings like this.
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Enable Progression > True

-- The SP Population add-on module is required to get to the setting you have described.

Was that of any use?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    TadOlson wrote: »
    It might be better to retreat to edit town and save the surplus families to the bin and library them for later to thin out the population because the other way removes them permanantly from the town.That's how I'd move them out if I didn't want them in the town anymore.

I actually don't mind if some of them (especially if I choose specific households/families) are completely gone. I think it makes it more realistic. I mean, in the real world, I had neighbors move away who I never saw again. So no biggie.

igazor wrote: »
    And just where have you been? :p
    Nowhere! Just hanging out more on the Store and Gifting areas of the forum, because I was working on owning the store and didn't want to mess up my game or anything. So I was waiting to get back into things once I had it all installed.

igazor wrote: »
    Don't know how much help this is going to be since I help edit the documentation at NRaas and that one looks correct to me.
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options:Emigration/Immigration > Emigration Ratio.

Two things, though:
    -- SP's progression must be active and in control or you won't get to see many settings like this.
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Enable Progression > True

-- The SP Population add-on module is required to get to the setting you have described.

Was that of any use?

Yup, I have the Population module installed. I have a lot of the SP modules lol.
    And yes, SP is active.

I will go look again... I might have just gone down the wrong way or something before.

Ah, found it! I guess I looked everywhere but there!

Okay, follow-up questions:

If I read it correctly, setting the ratio to 100 would make it the hardest to emigrate someone, yes? So I can just set it to that while I look at the other Emigration-related options before choosing what I actually want the ratio to be.
    (Though my game is paused so maybe it doesn't matter...)

And then if I want a certain household, I'd just set their ratio to -1 and they'd leave. (But everyone else would still be on the ratio of 100 for more randomness, unless I set the households I'd like to stay to 0).

Regarding the "check active relationship before emigration" - does that mean whenever a household is chosen to emigrate, it lets me say yes or no to it? So in case there is a family/household I did want to keep but forgot to mark as 0...

Just so I'm understanding it.
    Sounds like you've got the basic concepts right. There is also a Sim/Household (Caste, Town) option that shows up when Lot Options' Emigration Ratio is set to a positive number (>0). Seems like this should be a better "off" switch for sims and households that you want to exempt from consideration for emigration.

NRaas > SP > Sim (Household, Caste, Town) Options > Household:Allow Emigration > T/F

I believe "check active relationship before emigration" doesn't mean check with you, the player. That setting should disallow your active sim's best friend or a blood relative from emigrating on you. Not really sure what qualifies as a "significant" relationship, though.

The whole thing is pretty fussy and always seems to err on the side of keeping the sims in town whom you were hoping it wouldn't, even sometimes with the -1 designated debt ratio at the household level (which is impossible and should lead to almost certain emigration if such is enabled at all). Which is at least better than erring in the other direction, players have seen enough of that already with EA's story progression running things.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    All righties... So I set the ratio at 50. Figure it's a good medium.

Then for households I want to make sure stay, I'd set their emigration to F. Kind of redundant I guess if I have check active relationship as T. But I guess it doesn't hurt to be careful, ahah.

And ones I want to leave, set the ratio to -1. And just hope they get moved out.
    (Because I'm too lazy to manually remove them through Edit town).

So I should be good to go then once I pick out which to keep, which not to.

While you're here, I had another but unrelated question for SP.
    Now there is the option under Skills to push inactives in the various skills. If I disabled that, would they still work on their skills, just not as fast? I have it enabled now and I feel like everyone is moving so fast with their skills haha.

edited August 2016
    The pushes from the SP Skill add-on module push inactive sims to actually use skill building objects if they are available to them, like painting easels, guitars, the invention table, etc.

If you want to slow down all the skill building that SP is pushing on inactives, one way is to slow down its Skill Manager.
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Skills > Speed > (enter a higher value than default).

The default value on Normal overall SP speed for the Skill Manager is 500. This is the length of time (in sim minutes) that it takes the manager to complete one cycle, so larger is slower. Maybe try something like 2500 or even 5000 there?

Another way is to use Relativity to apply the Life Span Skill Factor (if you play on a life span that's long, it will make skill gains take longer) and/or throttle skill building with fractional skill factors (between 0 and 1), thus making it more challenging for all sims, active and inactive, to gain skills.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ahh... I'll try that.

Thanks again!