March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

so do we need origin to play the game or not?

3. Will there be an online component to The Sims 4?
There will be additional fun and social gameplay elements for players who choose to go online (more to come on that later on) but the core game is designed to be played offline. It's up to the player to choose how they want to play. You will need an EA/Origin account to install the game. Once installed, you don't need to be online to play.

4. Does The Sims 4 require the Origin™ client to play?
You will need an EA/Origin account to install the game. Once installed, you don't need to be online to play.

this says we need account. well we need account to use launcher so this does not answer the question will we need to have origin installed to play the game.

Comments

• LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2014
    Origin is EA's storefront.
    1)If you buy through Origin, then logic dictates that Origin is present on your PC.
    2)They say you need an EA account.
    3)If you buy a physical copy, then no, Origin isn't needed.
  • bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2014
    I thought EA uses it for activation these days on all games whether they were physical or not?

Shouldn't be a big deal, you can set it to not automatically start...

Its interesting the FAQ mentions "fun and social online gameplay elements". I half wondered if that is why the worlds were still closed, but I haven't heard anything regarding these "elements".
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2014
    dp
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    edited July 2014
    While you might (definitely with a digital version of the game) need Origin installed to Install the game once it's installed you do not need to be on Origin at all. It's an offline game, though you can go online in the gallery not sure if that has anything to do with Origin though though going on the gallery isn't required to play the game.
  • lauriej0823lauriej0823 Posts: 411 Member
    edited July 2014
    all of my games are dvd, and I never had origin installed on my pc.
  • joop123joop123 Posts: 1,616 Member
    edited July 2014
    origin IS required. Physical or digital, as the game needs origin when installing to register the game.

•New Zealand
    •Collectors Edition + Headset
    Story behind my username: it's a unisex spray, when i made my account i couldn't think of anything so i chose that :P

Sims%2Bseries%2B%28512x146%29.jpgSims4SpinningBlumbot.gif

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited July 2014
    As far as I know you only have to go online to register your game, just like all the other sims games if you want to register it.
  • HaucusuchusHaucusuchus Posts: 118 Member
    edited July 2014
    all of my games are dvd, and I never had origin installed on my pc.

Sims 3 came out in 2009, before Origin existed (although I think it's predecessor was called EA Download Manager at the time), and probably kept DVD expansions Origin-free to keep parity. Considering every major EA title in recent years (IE Battlefield, Titanfall, Mass Effect 3, etc.) has required Origin, I would be very surprised if their biggest PC franchise didn't as well.
  • Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    edited July 2014
    1)If you buy through Origin, then logic dictates that Origin is present on your PC.
    Actually, you might be wrong about number three. With Sims 3, even if you bought a physical disc version of the base game issued after a certain date, you needed Origin on your computer to install the game. So I suspect Sims 4 will require Origin to be installed on your computer as well. I believe base games for Sims 3 made before 2011 don't require Origin, but ones made 2011 or later do. I have the earlier version of the base game, so I didn't have to put Origin on my computer (thankfully).
  • Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't know if this helps or not, but I do have to sign into Origin to use the demo. I have also been told that you will have to sign into Origin to load up the game as well, but can turn off the internet after. I don't know how true that part is, but the demo makes it quite possible.
    HTH
    Long live the new Doctor!
    edited July 2014
    Elf67 wrote:
    Actually, you might be wrong about number three. With Sims 3, even if you bought a physical disc version of the base game issued after a certain date, you needed Origin on your computer to install the game. So I suspect Sims 4 will require Origin to be installed on your computer as well.
    Times change off course. I migrated all my keys to Origin back then and gave my physical copies away. My Origin is always off and doesn't get activated when I start TS3, so yeah... it isn't needed, as I entered most of my keys on this site first before I finally made the decision to go all digital.

It can also very well be that the physical copy of TS4 has the latest version of Origin on the disk and installs anyway. Not really a problem too, since your EA-account is also your Origin account.

In Origin's defence though, it has come a long way since those early days and having Origin has the added benefit of being gifted free games on a regular basis. The current free game is Peggle, so they can keep that. But a while ago I scored Dead Space for free.
  • Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited July 2014
    Elf67 wrote:
    Actually, you might be wrong about number three. With Sims 3, even if you bought a physical disc version of the base game issued after a certain date, you needed Origin on your computer to install the game. So I suspect Sims 4 will require Origin to be installed on your computer as well.
    Times change off course. I migrated all my keys to Origin back then and gave my physical copies away. My Origin is always off and doesn't get activated when I start TS3, so yeah... it isn't needed, as I entered most of my keys on this site first before I finally made the decision to go all digital.

It can also very well be that the physical copy of TS4 has the latest version of Origin on the disk and installs anyway. Not really a problem too, since your EA-account is also your Origin account.

In Origin's defence though, it has come a long way since those early days and having Origin has the added benefit of being gifted free games on a regular basis. The current free game is Peggle, so they can keep that. But a while ago I scored Dead Space for free.

I have used Origin all the way back when it was EADM, EA Download Manager, before they bought out the Origin program. And the ONLY time in the last seven or so years I have used it, was during the month of June when there patch rendered downloading our games inoperable. Finally after some blustering, starting a petition on change.org, they finally and quietly fixed it over a weekend at the end of June. But other than that, it has always worked. I didn't think to see if I could sign out while I am playing the demo. When I get a chance I will and let you know if it still works. :)

Oh and I love the free games. :)
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    Nope. It won't let you sign out or close Origin while the CAS demo is running. I wouldn't be surprised it were the same for TS4. I've never tried not running origin when I have my other Origin games playing. It usually runs in the background without a problem.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sorry everyone, since sept 2012 origin is required even when you purchase sims 3 on a disc. Also graham i believe in one of the many tweets confirmed that yes in fact origin will be required for all.

In case there is some misunderstanding the origin requirments is for new base games since 2012. And again this requirement for 4 has already been confirmed. This i doubt will change .
    edited July 2014
    ceejay402 wrote:
    Sorry everyone, since sept 2012 origin is required even when you purchase sims 3 on a disc. Also graham i believe in one of the many tweets confirmed that yes in fact origin will be required for all.

In case there is some misunderstanding the origin requirments is for new base games since 2012. And again this requirement for 4 has already been confirmed. This i doubt will change .

If Origin has to be running (which I think is a more important question), which I can't test for TS4 because I don't have the demo, then it is probably good to know that in Origin, you can disable Origin-in-game for TS4.
    This will disable Origin's version of the Steam-overlay. However, you have to tick a checkbox for it specifically.

It's probably good to know if starting the demo starts Origin too. TS3 does not start Origin, which makes sense as there's not really a reason to have Origin running all the time.
    So, do you need Origin only for first time set up or does it need to be active all the time?
    That would belie Maxis' promise that TS4 is off-line.
  • pc452000pc452000 Posts: 347 Member
    edited July 2014
    EA is on the fast track to making THE SIMS 4 the most pirated game since SIMS 3..

EA needs to drop the Origin malware and let DVD version owners do their own thing..
    I am going to get the Digital Deluxe version, but most people don't care for the extras.

Look at Good Old Games.com's GALAXY software program, it's 100% optional, NOT REQUIRED to install or play games. Maybe EA should take a few notes from GOG.com???
    Huge Sim Fanatic
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    ceejay402 wrote:

If Origin has to be running (which I think is a more important question), which I can't test for TS4 because I don't have the demo, then it is probably good to know that in Origin, you can disable Origin-in-game for TS4.
    This will disable Origin's version of the Steam-overlay. However, you have to tick a checkbox for it specifically.

It's probably good to know if starting the demo starts Origin too. TS3 does not start Origin, which makes sense as there's not really a reason to have Origin running all the time.
    So, do you need Origin only for first time set up or does it need to be active all the time?
    That would belie Maxis' promise that TS4 is off-line.

Well, since the purpose of the demo is to test things, I would guess that you have to be online for them to gather info in the background on how things are running. I assume they are collecting some sort of info when you use the demo. However, I don't have to be connected in CAS to play with the demo. I can turn off my connection within CAS itself and be offline within the game but I tried closing Origin while offline in CAS and it still wouldn't do it.

I should add that at the top of my Origin window it says Beta in the upper right corner near my avatar.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    edited July 2014
    As far as I know you have to have origin even if you get the disc version of the sims 4.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • lauriej0823lauriej0823 Posts: 411 Member
    edited July 2014
    I set origin to not start when pc starts. And I start demo from icon on desktop not thru origin. So not sure if origin is running. Will check later