Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hi, My Name Is...The Landing Pad

BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
edited December 2014 in The Sims 3 Store Gifting
Hello, and welcome to the Gift Gathering - Thank Yous & Gifting Thread of the Sims 3 forum.

There is so much to do and see that it's a little disorienting, isn't it? Well, this is your one stop shop on how to survive in here.

1. We are a community, just like every other thread on this forum. 2. We like newbies, they are fresh blood (in more ways than one) and we are always looking for more friends. 3. We want you to become an active, permanent part of this community. 4. We want to help.

Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.

Below I will post some useful links to help you get better situated. But if you have questions, please ask!

Guide to the Gifting Forum

The best place to go first and foremost is the Guide to the Gifting Forum thread. In there you will have the Do's and Dont's that will prevent a ton of headaches that neither you nor anyone else here wants to be a part of!

Gift Gathering: FAQ/Q&A

Have a question? About anything? Go to the FAQ/Q&A thread and ask. I'm always encouraging others to ask ask ask. So go ahead...ask!

Forum Rules

Perhaps the most important link is the Forum Rules. Nothing ruins a good time then being reported and banned. Please, if in doubt that something you are about to do or say is allowed, read and ask! We'd rather you find out from us that you can't do something, then from a mod.
14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg
Post edited by Blythelyre on

Comments

• BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited December 2014
    Helpful Links

Showcase and Appreciation

A great way to get your feet wet and meet some great people? The Showcase and Appreciation thread. Here you can find not only some great creations, but also get to know the people in this forum. This forum is not just about gifting things that cost real money, but something as simple as a recommendation or a kind word can go a long way to make someone happy. And that's really what we're about here!

Simpoint Free Gifting Directory

Speaking of Gifting for those without money, another great thread is the Simpoint Free Gifting Directory. Here you can find tons of requests that YOU can fulfill without needing money. This is a great way to find things that require no simpoints and to contribute as well!

The Unofficial Wishlist Thread

Another good thread is the The Unofficial Wishlist Thread. Here you can stop in, and get some ideas about ways you can gift someone that doesn't require you to spend simpoints. The beauty of it is that the person you want to gift TELLS you what they want!

Active Contests & Lotteries Directory

Just looking to jump right in? Well head over to the Active Contests & Lotteries Directory! It's an easy and simple way to find a lottery or contest that will suit your needs! Hosting a contest or lottery and want to "advertise?" Well stop in and post your link.

List of Tutorials

So you want to be a builder, heh? You want to make smexy looking Sims? Or do you just want to decorate your home without getting a visit from the repoman? Well, here is a great compiled list of tutorials about...well just about everything! Go crazy! And then share with us!

Pssst, hey you...yeah, you. Come here. Don't have a clue how to build? Want to take some classes? Well, click here and go to ZooProfessor's Beginning Builder's University and tell them the Newbie Underlord sent you...

Build-n-Share

So now you really want to build. Or at least you think you might want to build if you could build like the builders can? Well, jump in at the Build-n-Share. This is a great place to get some practice in building! Don't forget to share with us afterwards!

Contest Idea Thread

Have a great idea for a contest but can't host it yourself? Want to host or sponsor a contest, but have no ideas? This thread is a great way to collaborate with other Simmers, get great ideas or give one!

Hosting a Contest

Okay, I've entered some contests and it doesn't look that hard to host. I'll just create a post and that's all I need to do, right? Wrong. Hosting a Contest is harder than it looks. Make sure you have the time and the simpoints before you even think about taking on that responsibility. That's right - responsibility! But how do you create the perfect contest? Go to Hosting a Contest for some more tips on how to host the perfect contest.

Anettesb wrote:
    Setting up a contest takes time, and you will often need more than 1 post. With the time limit for how fast you can post in your own thread, codes that might go funky and Liam getting in the way...well then even if your 100% done writing things up and have them in a word document it can take an hour or more to set up.

So if people state “Do not post” or anything like that in a thread, and you see they are reserving multiple posts themselves, chances are they setting up a game, don’t make their work in vain by posting! Because if you do post, they have to start over.

Personally even when I have written it all, most of the time (and that is without Liam interfering) it takes me 1-2 hours to set up, getting all the little details in their spot, and that is when it goes smoothly!

So give the hosts time to set up, thank you.

Hosting Template to Use

Other links and advice:

Wishlist Help

Some great tips on how to set up your wishlist to maximize gifting potential.

Refer-A-Friend Directory
    I am providing a link to the refer-a-friend listing thread. There are two sets you can get if you use one of the links listed to purchase Simpoints for the first time. But, it has to be the first time you are buying Simpoints.

I would encourage those that have never purchased Simpoints, but are thinking about doing so, to use one of those referral links. You will thank me when you become a rabid collector (like myself) of Sim stuff.

How to purchase Simpoints without a Credit Card

This is a great tutorial on how to use EA Cash Cards to purchase simpoints and games through origin. This comes in handy if you don't have access to a credit card. You can purchase these cards with cash and then use them to buy the points. Check out the link to read the easy tutorial!

How Do I Simport?!?!

You ever wanted to know what Simporting actually is? Well...here you go!

Anette Says: Some other great links

So...can there possibly be more help? Why...of course there can! Here are some other great links.

Friend Requests: Some Tips and Advice

Before you request someone as a friend, please read their about me. Some people do not accept friend requests or require a little bit more interaction before they approve a request. Understand that it is not about or because of you or something you said or did. A few people make friend requests just so they can beg for gifts on a wider scale. Some people make requests and then fall off the face of the earth. Each person has different ways that they manage their page. So, before you make a request, ask yourself: Have I ever spoken to this person? Did they say anything about friend requests? Once I have them as a friend, will I have anything to say to them?

Some Good Reasons to Friend Request:
      1. Stay updated on uploads 2. Write on their wall about something 3. Communicate outside of the forums 4. This person is amazing and I consider them a friend

There of course are plenty of other reasons to request someone. But these are just some starter points.

Thanking Simmers for Gifts

Okay, so there is no clear way to thank someone for giving you a gift, but you have some options:
      1. Create a Thank You Thread - if you do this, make sure you make a general thread that you can use over and over again. Ex:
    My Thank You thread

2. Say thank you on the simmer's MyPage - this is a quick, easy way to say thank you. Just note that some people have their pages closed to non-friends. If that is the case, choose option 1.

3. Create a thread and link it on the Simmer's MyPage. This is helpful if the person is not a GG regular. If you don't post the link, they might never see it and will think you were ungrateful(ok, so it's not that serious...but you never know).

And for the MOST important piece of advice I can give: No matter how you do it, you SHOULD thank every single person who gifts you. Sometimes a simple thank you is appreciated more than trying to gift the person back!

I want to thank all of those that came before me and created amazing threads. Thank you for your hard work that has made this so easy for me!
  • ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    edited July 2012
    Not sure if this thread is open. It doesn't say it's not.

Anyway, thank you for the links. I really need them, since ..... aw, cripes, Blthye I just wanted to support your thread. :lol:

Come on, Newbies and Lurkers. We don't know you're out there until you tell us. Come play in our sandbox. :mrgreen:
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
    edited December 2014
    A wee tip for other newbies: Bookmark anything you have entered or want enter or chat threads your involved in because this forum moves fast.

Alrightly, boys and girls. I want to throw something out there with the recent threads that have popped up. I'm calling it: Begging threads...is that what I was doing?

The most important thing I can say about begging threads is not to make one. While there is no rule that says you can't ask for a gift on here, it is considered highly rude and will get more negative responses than good ones. Please do not gift people who create begging threads, because it's not good to reward someone for bad behavior.

What is a begging thread, you ask? Well, some examples are:

1. Please gift me this (this being anything)
    2. Please rec my/his/her studio (although it might not seem like it, it is considered begging and the Simpoint Free Directory is a better place for that)
    3. Oh man, the new set came out today and it looks great...too bad I have no simpoints
    4. My friend really deserves this set, please gift it to them
    5. I really wish I could get that store item

This is just to list a few, they come in all kinds of creative ways. Sometimes, you genuinely want to help someone else get something they want, however, asking someone else to spend money is not accepted here.

There are some exceptions to this rule, The Flash Mob and the Gifting Angel thread and Nomination lotteries - these are all threads that allow you to throw people under the bus. Take advantage of those.

The biggest piece of advice I can give about this is: If you want something or want to gift someone, do not create a thread only for that reason. Find threads that already do this in general, like the ones listed in the Guide to the Gift Forum. It's less of a hassle and helps prevent the sometimes aggressive backlash.
  • smashbridges20smashbridges20 Posts: 7,397 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi, My name is Smash. I'm a bit new here, but I wanted to say thanks to Blythelyre (I hope I spelled that right) for this thread. I like that one of the first threads I see is one welcoming new people. It can be kind of daunting coming into a place as big as this and not knowing anyone or having simpoints.

Thanks for this thread! I hope I can make a happy home here. :mrgreen:
  • SimsManiac2k9SimsManiac2k9 Posts: 11,322 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi! *Waves frantically like a Fangirl* waving_smiley.gif My Names SimsManiac2k9.. But I prefer Maniac Or simmy. :)

I've been on the site since 2009 but started to be active here around September of last year.
    I started posting in the gifting wars and started the love the place and became a active member of the community after being welcome'd in by so many nice people.
    I act like a complete crazy-head most of the time.. Don't let me scare you away though. :wink:
    I know how scary being a newbie can be.. So come out of hiding! :mrgreen:

I didn't know about the forums until around 2011, I was actually scared of posting in this section for awhile. But I decided to join in with the fun and games and made wonderful friends from here.
    Yes, I was a slow person.. I only found that there were TS2 forums when they actually closed down.. :?

But Yeah! Come Join in.. We don't bite.. :)
  • Pcd1love2uPcd1love2u Posts: 913 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi I'm Pcd1love2u,
    I'm a bit new to this part of the forums. I'm a big Sims fan and I'm hoping I can meet some nice people and be friends with a few simmers. :mrgreen:
  • Pupper_puppyPupper_puppy Posts: 810 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi, I'm Pupper_puppy You can just call me Pupper though :P

I've been playing sims since 2009 but i just found the forums uhh what a month ago? or something i cant remember.
    I've been entering in some contests and stuff so you might have seen me around here before, you might have not.

Anyway, thats about all. oh and thanks for making this thread :mrgreen:
  • potterphylepotterphyle Posts: 3,659 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi, I'm potterphyle. I joined the community back in February, after lurking for a while. I love to host and participate in contests. The contests are what initially sparked my interest. Creating sims and backstory is my favorite thing to do. I spend more time in CAS than playing, but I'd love to become a better builder.
    edited July 2012
    Welcome welcome!! Pull up a chair,

Thumbnail_300x300.png

And let's past the cider

Thumbnail_300x300.png

And some sweets

Thumbnail_300x300.png

and let's see if we can find some building tutorials for you potter.
    edited July 2012
    Pcd1love2u wrote:
    Hi I'm Pcd1love2u,
    I'm a bit new to this part of the forums. I'm a big Sims fan and I'm hoping I can meet some nice people and be friends with a few simmers. :mrgreen:

What do you like to do ingame. Build, create Sims, or just play?
  • illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    edited July 2012
    If only this could be made into a sticky thread.

Thank you for creating this!!
  • bandcampsquirrelbandcampsquirrel Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi, I'm baby squirrel, and I'm kind of new too, I lurked for a couple of years and now i live to check the forums daily, lol... I like to join in contests, like to judge the and I also like to host them. I have met some wonderful people on the forums and now I am so glad I stopped lurking and started posting... Anyway enough of my chatter, welcome, take off ur coat and stay awhile :wink:
    edited July 2012
    Hi, I'm illusie. I have been playing the sims for years now and still love it. I'm a regular of this part of the forum, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I used to be a builder in the sims 3, but lately I spend more and more time in CAS. I think it is fun to make sims and pets too. I just got the sims 3 pets last week.

I love to join contests, since they inspire me to make new things I never made before.
  • kwizardkwizard Posts: 816 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi, I'm kwizard. I just discovered the gifting forum a couple of weeks ago, but I've been in other forums a bit more. I am amazed at the generosity of the simmers in this forum, it really makes me want to be a better person.

I really enjoy the contests here, because they are just fun to enter, and it's great the to see talent that the other simmers on this forum have.
  • Pcd1love2uPcd1love2u Posts: 913 Member
    edited July 2012
    Blythelyre wrote:
    Pcd1love2u wrote:
    Hi I'm Pcd1love2u,

I love to build even though my building is terrible, but most of the time I just play. I'm enjoying my time playing in Lucky Palms and once my teen ages up I'm going to see about getting her a horse and try the riding skill since I never tried it. :mrgreen: I love this thread everyone is so friendly.
    edited July 2012
    Pcd1love2u wrote:
    I love to build even though my building is terrible, but most of the time I just play. I'm enjoying my time playing in Lucky Palms and once my teen ages up I'm going to see about getting her a horse and try the riding skill since I never tried it. :mrgreen: I love this thread everyone is so friendly.

The more you build, the better you get. It is good to hear you enjoy building. There are lots of tutorials for building in the creative corner on the forum. They might help you to get better.

Sounds like fun! Is that your second generation of that family? Have fun exploring Lucky Palms. The town looks amazing, but I still have to explore most of it.
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited July 2012
    HI all new and old friends...

I'm Anette...

I love to be here and have fun with my friends... or sim away... is very tirred right now... so can't even rember the last thing I read......

I need to go check my lottery..... then eat... then sleeeeeep....

here is my lottery for any one who want to join... I run it with a bunch of grat simmers..... we want to celebrate the simpoint free gifting... EA dosn't need to get money for us to give gifts...
    Simpoint free gifting lottery http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/555423.page#8890474
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
    edited July 2012
    Hi kwizard! Welcome! What other forums do you like to hang out in?
    edited July 2012
    Pcd1love2u wrote:
    Blythelyre wrote:
    Pcd1love2u wrote:
    Hi I'm Pcd1love2u,

I just built my very first home yesterday, people tell me it gets easier and better!! lol, maybe we can encourage each other, okay?
    edited July 2012
    Blythelyre wrote:
    I just built my very first home yesterday, people tell me it gets easier and better!! lol, maybe we can encourage each other, okay?

Yes it does go easier and better the more often you make homes. Have you ever tried any building/landscaping tutorials?
    Here is a list of good tutorials.
  • kwizardkwizard Posts: 816 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Blythelyre wrote:
    Hi kwizard! Welcome! What other forums do you like to hang out in?

Mostly General Discussion, or whatever the new Ep is, so now Supernatural.
  • SoupahReoSoupahReo Posts: 2,290 Member
    edited July 2012
    I'm not a newbie, although I am sometimes a lurker. I joined after finally getting a new computer to play Sims 3, but it took me a while to post, when I finally did, I just jumped right in after seeing a contest that I liked.

Then I went from one contest to another to another.. Most of the time I enter contest to try and win so I can gift others with the prize, it also gives me challenges for my builds. I love to build and fully decorate houses, but sometimes I lack ideas, so entering contests with other people's rules are perfect.

So to any newbies, don't be afraid, just jump in.
    edited July 2012
    illusie wrote:
    Blythelyre wrote:

Yes it does go easier and better the more often you make homes. Have you ever tried any building/landscaping tutorials?
    Here is a list of good tutorials.

Good link!
  • PlateinmywayPlateinmyway Posts: 1,474 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi,I'm Plateinmyway,but you can call me Izzy :D I've started coming to this part of the forums only recently,and I'd like to thank you for making this thread, Blythelyre,since I'm a little shy and sometimes hesitate to participate,and I'm sure I'm not the only one :mrgreen:
    edited July 2012
    Hi,I'm Plateinmyway,but you can call me Izzy :D I've started coming to this part of the forums only recently,and I'd like to thank you for making this thread, Blythelyre,since I'm a little shy and sometimes hesitate to participate,and I'm sure I'm not the only one :mrgreen:

Welcome Plateinmyway! What's your plate in the way of? :mrgreen: