Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Four kits? Boooooo!

13...Next

Comments

• maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I enjoy the content we get from kits. The nice thing about them is you can choose which ones you want or don't want to buy. I have almost all of them and I do use most items in them. I love the Country Kitchen and use it in every save for building old homes and haunted/abandoned homes. I can never say no to kits that add items for the children either. Would love to see a series of kits for furniture and cas of different centuries so I can build realistic older homes and play the different centuries in game. I really want an old well that actually works, more off-the-grid lighting (so limited right now) and an old style fireplace that works as a stove, plus more furniture and clothing. I would buy these kits immediately upon release!
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    People often say gameplay and I know what they mean by that. But for me, building a greenhouse and having my sims grow stuff in there is gameplay. Dressing them up in new CAS is also gameplay. I see the whole experience as playing the sims.

I genuinely like most of the kits and have fun with them. There’s been a few rubbish ones but that’s personal taste really. Generally I like them. My favourites are simtimates, moonlight chic and pastel pop. I really like the greenhouse one so far. My sims almost exclusively wear trainers from kits, they’re so much better than alternatives.

I do think they could go a little more out there with them though! For example if there is no plans for a royalty/medieval/Wild West gamepack, I’d be happy to see these in kits. I really liked that courtyard oasis one for this reason, it’s unlike anything else we have.

I think expansions and game packs are the time for gameplay, we’ve just had one and another is on the way. So for me these are cheap and fun little diversions in the meantime.

I think this is a fantastic POV!!
    I've seen people still complain of no gameplay even after packs that add tons of stuff. And there are so many ways to actually play and enjoy this game. Like yesterday I was tired so I decided to just play around in CAS. I ended up doing a little CAS photoshoot with new outfits I downloaded, and made an incredibly cute sim by accident so I had to add her to my household 🤣. Then I went to sleep but I had played the game and had fun doing so.

And added content inspire me to step out of my comfort zone and try different things. The basement kit got me building basements now which is something I rarely did. The greenhouse kit got me into making porches 😆 so I spend a good amount of time playing to build them.
    And infants got me playing and enjoying something I didn't think I'd enjoy. I think every piece of content has value no matter how big or small.
    And there is also no wrong way to play.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited May 2023
    People often say gameplay and I know what they mean by that. But for me, building a greenhouse and having my sims grow stuff in there is gameplay. Dressing them up in new CAS is also gameplay. I see the whole experience as playing the sims.

I genuinely like most of the kits and have fun with them. There’s been a few rubbish ones but that’s personal taste really. Generally I like them. My favourites are simtimates, moonlight chic and pastel pop. I really like the greenhouse one so far. My sims almost exclusively wear trainers from kits, they’re so much better than alternatives.

I do think they could go a little more out there with them though! For example if there is no plans for a royalty/medieval/Wild West gamepack, I’d be happy to see these in kits. I really liked that courtyard oasis one for this reason, it’s unlike anything else we have.

I think expansions and game packs are the time for gameplay, we’ve just had one and another is on the way. So for me these are cheap and fun little diversions in the meantime.

I was under the impression that gameplay in a pack offers new possibilities, things you can't do without a specific DLC. Bust the dust is the only kit to offer gameplay. What you describe sounds like functional objects. Kits usually have new 3D models of things we already have. Those items can be fun to use or inspire new builds, sims and stories. it is nice to read people enjoy the kits. I have a few myself. I built an entire dorm inspired by a window in the desert lux kit and had a lot of enjoyment out of it. But I will not call that kit a gameplay kit because it doesn't change what can be done in the game.
    Post edited by Atreya33 on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    It's always interesting to see how players define gameplay because it varies for everyone. The Sims has always had a community of builders who hardly ever actually play the game, and for them, building is their gameplay. So getting offered new build/but styles is exciting for them.

Some people really love interactive objects and setting up rooms full of activities for their Sims, especially if they don't like to deal with loading screens or if they have a slow PC that loading takes too long and they don't like traveling to community lots. So those types of objects are gameplay for them.

Some players are stylists and spend hours and hours in CAS designing and dressing Sims (I am part of this category though not exclusively) and really enjoy getting new or unusual fashions and costumes. (I do have a few kits myself, can't remember the names but the two Asian styles kits are my faves.)

Then, of course, there are the players who want brand new things to do, new interactions, new systems, new features and mechanics. I think this is a pretty large category, (though I could be mistaken,) and tends to include many seasoned Simmers who have played other versions of the game. (I am also in this category.)

I've also seen some players who consider new animations and world environments to be gameplay, who are more engaged with the visual aspects of the game and new scenery and find that these things alone can refresh their gameplay. (I probably fall into this as well.)

When you think about it, there really are a lot of ways to enjoy a Sims game. It's no wonder the devs can't keep up, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    It's always interesting to see how players define gameplay because it varies for everyone. The Sims has always had a community of builders who hardly ever actually play the game, and for them, building is their gameplay. So getting offered new build/but styles is exciting for them.

Some people really love interactive objects and setting up rooms full of activities for their Sims, especially if they don't like to deal with loading screens or if they have a slow PC that loading takes too long and they don't like traveling to community lots. So those types of objects are gameplay for them.

Some players are stylists and spend hours and hours in CAS designing and dressing Sims (I am part of this category though not exclusively) and really enjoy getting new or unusual fashions and costumes. (I do have a few kits myself, can't remember the names but the two Asian styles kits are my faves.)

Then, of course, there are the players who want brand new things to do, new interactions, new systems, new features and mechanics. I think this is a pretty large category, (though I could be mistaken,) and tends to include many seasoned Simmers who have played other versions of the game. (I am also in this category.)

I've also seen some players who consider new animations and world environments to be gameplay, who are more engaged with the visual aspects of the game and new scenery and find that these things alone can refresh their gameplay. (I probably fall into this as well.)

When you think about it, there really are a lot of ways to enjoy a Sims game. It's no wonder the devs can't keep up, lol.

You’re right that gameplay is seen differently by many people.

I would like to share how I see gameplay. How I play is different to what I would like to do.

I build more in Sims 4 because there’s not enough in live mode to keep me entertained for hours and hours. Most of the time I do go into live mode, it’s to play test the house or community lot to see if it functions.

The worlds are stunning but most lack anything to do in them. All the newer worlds are small and it just doesn’t look right. E.g. how can a world inspired by San Francisco with a big bridge be so small? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m not as invested in CAS and would actually like more tabs to hide the various items that drive me dotty. In regards to new mechanics, they usually have bugs so eventually I go back to building.

I am not playing my preferred game style but simply doing what I can when able to load it up. That’s how much I love Sims, I will try.

Previous Sims games I play with the Sims living in the world. Frequently I forget to build!

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    @ncisGibbs02 have you tried Sims 3? If I had unlimited time to devote to the Sims I'd play Sims 3 also.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

You’re right that gameplay is seen differently by many people.

I would like to share how I see gameplay. How I play is different to what I would like to do.

I build more in Sims 4 because there’s not enough in live mode to keep me entertained for hours and hours. Most of the time I do go into live mode, it’s to play test the house or community lot to see if it functions.

The worlds are stunning but most lack anything to do in them. All the newer worlds are small and it just doesn’t look right. E.g. how can a world inspired by San Francisco with a big bridge be so small? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m not as invested in CAS and would actually like more tabs to hide the various items that drive me dotty. In regards to new mechanics, they usually have bugs so eventually I go back to building.

I am not playing my preferred game style but simply doing what I can when able to load it up. That’s how much I love Sims, I will try.

Previous Sims games I play with the Sims living in the world. Frequently I forget to build!

I am the same. In the sims 3 i'm almost always in live mode except if i want to add a new building to my save that I downloaded from the exchange. but the sims 4, it has mostly become a build simulator.

I have actually been doing gameplay the past couple of days to play packs i have but never fully dived into to try to get the most out of what I've paid for. I've enjoyed it for the most part, but i'm getting to the point where I am tiring of the save, and thats even with quite a few mods. This never happens to me when i play the sims 3. In TS3 im on like my 3rd or 4th gen and have yet to tire of them haha. For TS4 so far i've fully explored the features from Snowy Escape (one of my fave packs that TS4 offers), Jungle adventure, DU, and I've been exploring the active careers from GTW. It just sucks because it starts to feel very repetitive and I start to lose interest and don't feel as invested in my sims lives, I have to create challenges in my head for my sim to complete in order to get enjoyment from the game.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

I was under the impression that gameplay in a pack offers new possibilities, things you can't do without a specific DLC. Bust the dust is the only kit to offer gameplay. What you describe sounds like functional objects. Kits usually have new 3D models of things we already have. Those items can be fun to use or inspire new builds, sims and stories. it is nice to read people enjoy the kits. I have a few myself. I built an entire dorm inspired by a window in the desert lux kit and had a lot of enjoyment out of it. But I will not call that kit a gameplay kit because it doesn't change what can be done in the game.

this is also what I consider to be a pack that offers “gameplay” a redesign of something like a radio or fridge is not “adding gameplay” to me because it doesn’t provide any new experiences to be had, just a redesign of a functional object that i already use in game.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I'm one of the 'boo birds'. The game already overflows with very little for our sims to do so what is the point of simply adding more useless static nothingness. If we are going to be drowned in kits why can't at least some of them provide things to do? For example, Indoor Activities Kit with: pottery wheel for making useful items such as plates, bowls, pitchers, cups, and the like; sewing machine - if skilled enough sims could make their own clothes or those for their kiddies; pool table; model railroad layouts - both to run trains and build landscapes, bicycle exercise machines, balance bars to learn and practice dance maneuvers - both of which would increase fitness, remote controlled aircraft and cars, board games such as checkers and backgammon. Pinball machines and video arcade game machines. Might be enough here for 2 kits but you get the idea. Many of these are in TS2 and are very popular with sims when they are provided. If it worked back then, it will work now.
  • Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited May 2023
    The most of my favourite objects i use in every lot are from Kits 👩‍🔧
    I also was a big fan of the Sims 3 Store.
    You can choose from a wide variety of very different, specific kinds of things for your game.
    Just pick what you like.
    And leave them aside, if you dont like them.
    I don't think the creators are overly busy creating them and that working on kits keeps them from working on Sims 5 or important content for Sims 4.
    Plus selling the kits brings in money to keep the game going 💹 ^^
    Anyone who created objects in blender, for example, might agree that creating objects is one of the lesser time consuming actions in creating content for a game. So maybe the object creators already finished their work for the next pack, so they have time to do some stuff for a little kit.
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited May 2023

I think your definition is basically what the sims community defines gameplay is for sure.

Personally I think more along the lines that the whole of sims is a game so everything I do is essentially gameplay. Let’s take the greenhouse kit, building a greenhouse that couldn’t have been built to this level and having my sims do stuff in it is something I’d spend more time playing than a climbing wall or a bird box.

But you’re definitely right, community classes “gameplay”as unique live mode stuff.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member

I think your definition is basically what the sims community defines gameplay is for sure.

Personally I think more along the lines that the whole of sims is a game so everything I do is essentially gameplay. Let’s take the greenhouse kit, building a greenhouse that couldn’t have been built to this level and having my sims do stuff in it is something I’d spend more time playing than a climbing wall or a bird box.

But you’re definitely right, community classes “gameplay”as unique live mode stuff.

I think part of the reason for this definition is the resources it takes to develop. Kits like the green househaven kit 'only' need 3D meshes and textures. And they are done. It is basically the same as CC objects. What the sims community classes as gameplay requires new code, updating code of existing features and/or new animations. Often combined with the 3D meshes and textures. This also means a potential risk for bugs with the necessary playtesting and bug fixes. BB and CAS kits cost way less time and effort to make and have very little chance to cause bugs. That's why some simmers consider them cash grabs.

Of course every one is free to decide for themselves if they like a kit. When kits were first released I didn't plan on buying BB or CAS kits ever, yet here we are. I enjoy the greenhouse haven kit, little campers and everyday clutter. If the kit offers enough items for me to use in the game, then why not. Judging a kit by the use you personally get out of it instead of judging it by the gameplay definition is a good way to decide to buy a kit or not.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I prefer to divide The Sims 4 into three parts: Build/Buy, CAS and Live Mode and you tend to use all three parts when you play the game.

Kits don't add anything new to live mode so when you buy a new kit you buy something new for Build/Buy or CAS that you use with the same live mode that you have.

I think they should try to have something new for all three parts every season. It doesn't have to be a lot but what I liked with packs is that they covered all three parts.
  • SimSoonSimSoon Posts: 55 Member
    I prefer kits to stuff packs because this way I'm not missing out on gameplay when I don't buy them. 😆