Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Four kits? Boooooo!

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited April 2023
    Actually I kind of like how I can just skip a kit if it does not interest me

saves me money

+ I have hard time doing that with packs cause I love having new gameplay items :sweat_smile:

that said 4 kits for 3 months is bit much
    thats gp price to buy them all

hopefully I won't want to :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Would I rather have 2 stuffpacks that are on par with Paranormal, or a fantasy/ sci-fi adventure/ Grim’s underworld themed Gamepack and a spooky kit? Yeh I totally would rather have those instead of…I don’t actually know what the 4 kits are yet. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have no problems with kits, I can take ‘em or leave ‘em. I enjoy all gameplay elements in The Sims equally, that is, building, dressing up me sims and have them interact with each other in a simulated little world. If the kit’s got what I need for a story, it will be bought sooner rather than later. If it doesn’t, so be it. There are a good few kits that I don’t own because I simply don’t care about those kits.
    Now…I haven’t had a huge amount of time to play lately so I’m not literally dying from lack of content…

HOWEVER…

In my opinion there should be some kind of consistency in whatever content is released each season. It’s been absolutely all over the shop.

CAS-mode, BB-mode, and Live-mode aka ‘gameplay’ are the 3 elements that are needed to get the FULL experience of the sims. If kits are there to fill the gaps, that means those 3 elements should still be covered, not just 2 of them. The release of at least 1 CAS kit, 1 BB kit and 1 Gameplay kit (new interaction and animation) should be the seasonal default. On top of that you’ll have all the other DLC and basegame updates. If a SP, GP or EP can’t be released in a particular season for whatever reason, just throw in an extra kit, that’s grand, but those 3 main elements should be covered, darnnni’t!

It’s odd that there’s now an absence of both stuff packs and gameplay kits. I find it rather absurd that team M seems to have given up on the gameplay kit dream after the release of Bust The Dust. Sure, it had some problems, perhaps it could have been executed differently, -could’ve thrown in an auld broom for the off-gridders ‘n all that- but it’s not a bad kit at all (in my dusty opinion). Why not try again? Aah sure give it a shot.

But hey, perhaps the team will surprise us this time around! 🥳

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited April 2023
    Yeah I find it strange how they seem to have scrapped gameplay kits
    I figured those would be perfect for random gameplay items that don't really need world b/b or cas in specific

also its little sad how there isn't even one occultish kit with all these kits out there
    the description of these 4 as forgotten old stuff gives me false hope but I so wish it wasn't false hope
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited April 2023
    Indeed, I remember after the first gameplay kit a lot of people had great ideas for other gameplay items that would probably never be chosen to be included into a pack but could be made into a kit. Like different types of kitchen items, or stuff for the garden like lawnmowers...

Now to be fair (I often try these days to not just be mr negative) I have been impressed by the quality of several kits that they have released. Even if there are less items in a kit than in a stuff pack that doesn't mean that they put less effort into them, a lot of kits are actually really nicely designed.

But I don't think kits are a good replacement for gameplay... so I agree that they should try and deliver an equal amount of gameplay, cas and b/b if they are going to focus on delivering monthly content in the form of updates, SDX and kits as they seem to do more of now.
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I figured those would be perfect for random gameplay items that don't really need world b/b or cas in specific

also its little sad how there isn't even one occultish kit with all these kits out there
    the description of these 4 as forgotten old stuff gives me false hope but I so wish it wasn't false hope

Shame on them. :)
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2023
    It’s like they’ve given up on additional quick gameplay completely and now just want to throw nonstop clutter and clothes at us for all the YouTube speed builders and CAS lovers to have fun with. Some of us actually prefer to play the game and aren’t geeked about outfits or random non functional decorations. So we are left out until like twice per year when they offer a GP or EP and it’s a real bummer.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

I know, right?! I thought for sure by now they'd have offered at least one or two Occult, fantasy, or sci-fi based ones. So disappointing. Seems like they are bent more than ever towards "real life" and "domestic" gameplay or builders. I feel like we're never going to have the alternative gameplay gaps filled before the game ends. :(
    #Team Occult
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I would have LOVED Bust the Dust if it came with a simple non technological mean of cleaning. We already have the moping animation in game, just add mopping as a floor interaction ! It would be so fast, easy and free of cost. But no.

(I am aware there is a mod that does exactly this but I'm not buying a kit that needs a mod to feel complete)
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    I would have LOVED Bust the Dust if it came with a simple non technological mean of cleaning. We already have the moping animation in game, just add mopping as a floor interaction ! It would be so fast, easy and free of cost. But no.

(I am aware there is a mod that does exactly this but I'm not buying a kit that needs a mod to feel complete)

You can keep the house clean without the hoover by stepping on the dust bunnies, and throwing away the big dust piles. Using the mop to clean poodles has the same effect on it as the hoover on dirty floor. But yes, it would have been nice to have an easier option to clean the floors without the hoover, or at least allow us to mop the floors just for that sparkly nice smelling feeling if nothing else.
    edited April 2023
    LiELF wrote: »

I know, right?! I thought for sure by now they'd have offered at least one or two Occult, fantasy, or sci-fi based ones. So disappointing. Seems like they are bent more than ever towards "real life" and "domestic" gameplay or builders. I feel like we're never going to have the alternative gameplay gaps filled before the game ends. :(

I’m beginning to feel the same way.
    I’ve lost count of how many kits have been released so far and it is indeed sad that not a single one of them is purely fantasy themed.
    Even a medieval kit would be perfect. Obviously this raises the question as to what kind of kit that would be. A BB or CAS kit? Gameplay wise, should there be a monastic scriptorium desk that artistic sims could use to produce illuminated manuscripts? How about a weaving station, or a Sims 2/ 3 style axe throwing/ archery court, (including new deaths 😈)?

Is all that stuff too niche now, even for a kit?! This is exactly why Stuff & Game Packs are useful: the whole lot can be stuffed in one single pack ‘n stuff. Niche but great for the niche player folks.

I get that the majority of simmers just want to play house in the most realistic way possible and that’s fine, but come on now, some of us just want to live in a simulated fantasy land and cause absolute mayhem. We also need our fix on a regular basis, we truly do. 🌋
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    If I want clothes and stuff there is TSR, where it's good and free. What is sorely missing is good quality gameplay, especially the non-keeping house kind. Why can't bowling give us complete games like TS2 did? Where are the earlier group activities like pool and kicky-ball? The 2 sim games like roam the lot pillow fights, tossing a football, playing catch, rock-paper-scissors, playing tag for kids? What about the exploration of TS3 World Adventures? With the advances in gaming technology since then so much could be done with that idea now. We have rocket ships. Who says that has to be a rabbit hole? What if, instead of the joke of Battu, there was a full-fledged, integrated (as in being able to have and do in regular 'hoods' what is there) adventure? Or something based of life at sea? Yeah, we need full-fledged, ambitious, well-done game and expansion packs, with stuff packs to round things out and add some spice.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Future wrote: »
    Agreed. Bust the Dust is still my favorite kit because at least it provided new gameplay for $5. Too bad it was so poorly received and they never offered another.

I hate that they came to the conclusion that gameplay kits aren't in demand because of Bust the Dust.

For one, not many want to pay $5 for chores. I did buy it but that's 'cuz I think the dust bunnies are cute. A lot of ppl think those bunnies are weird, though.

And then, for a lot of the people that may have bought it for more rags-to-riches struggle daily chore gameplay, a lot decided not to get it because it was buggy and broken.

Like they made a bad choice for a first gameplay kit trial. Then decided no one wants gameplay. It's so dumb.
    Am one of those who didn't get it because it's so buggy. Not keen on the 'bunnies' either. There are better options for gameplay kits than household chores.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

I’m beginning to feel the same way.
    I’ve lost count of how many kits have been released so far and it is indeed sad that not a single one of them is purely fantasy themed.
    Even a medieval kit would be perfect. Obviously this raises the question as to what kind of kit that would be. A BB or CAS kit? Gameplay wise, should there be a monastic scriptorium desk that artistic sims could use to produce illuminated manuscripts? How about a weaving station, or a Sims 2/ 3 style axe throwing/ archery court, (including new deaths 😈)?

Is all that stuff too niche now, even for a kit?! This is exactly why Stuff & Game Packs are useful: the whole lot can be stuffed in one single pack ‘n stuff. Niche but great for the niche player folks.

I get that the majority of simmers just want to play house in the most realistic way possible and that’s fine, but come on now, some of us just want to live in a simulated fantasy land and cause absolute mayhem. We also need our fix on a regular basis, we truly do. 🌋

I'd love a medieval Kit! (Or two, or three, or a SP but those are definitely dead at this point.)

Even though I'm still playing on the Werewolf patch, I'm really sad about the things we probably won't see. All this time I've had faith that one day we'd have sci-fi/space theme/time travel (outside of Batuu), Fairies, improved and playable Ghosts (and create them in CAS) with possible Grim Reaper expanded gameplay, Superheroes/Villains, Zombies, and Dragons/mythology/fantasy/medieval. I figured there was so much opportunity with Game Packs to explore some of the more interesting and "outside the box" themes and that at some point they'd actually finally dedicate an EP to something fantasy based.

It just doesn't seem right because Sims 4 is already twice the length of Sims 3 and Sims 3 had most of those things. Even Sims 2 had Zombies and Genies and touched a little bit on the Superheroes in certain careers (which I loved). Of course, Sims 4 did expand more on Vampires and Werewolves, which I love completely, but we've got, what, twelve EPs alone for TS4 while TS3 had something like ten? Yet even our PlantSims are neutered and deserve a redo.

I honestly don't have high hopes for the next iteration. It just feels like it's moving so far away from the game it used to be and clearly all of the life simulators in production are striving to capture reality more than anything. :'(
    #Team Occult
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Ohhhh a medieval kit would be fun.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited April 2023
    Just make sure you are credited with all the kits you've bought. I went through the list and found one that they hadn't listed me as buying when I had done so. I clicked the 'Buy' button as a further check and then they credited it to me properly.

I never leave my payment details on the order page so if you do, don't buy it again!
  • crunchypie0821crunchypie0821 Posts: 4 New Member
    Does anyone know if any of the items in the kits are functional? Like the basement one has a tv and i wonder if it actually works. Both of the first 2 kits look pretty much like crap to me. Not only is there so little in them but the items are just blah. Nothing cool. Nothing that i would even bother downloading if it was free cc, much less actually pay for.
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2023
    Does anyone know if any of the items in the kits are functional? Like the basement one has a tv and i wonder if it actually works. Both of the first 2 kits look pretty much like crap to me. Not only is there so little in them but the items are just blah. Nothing cool. Nothing that i would even bother downloading if it was free cc, much less actually pay for.

Sims can use the little tv like normal but the floor model tv is not functional.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    edited April 2023
    I'm very, very disappointed that there wasn't an actual sleepable Heartshape Bed in Sims 4. :s:'(
    As for the old playable T.V, I have that in my Eco Living pack. ;)

I'd love a medieval Kit! (Or two, or three, or a SP but those are definitely dead at this point.)

Even though I'm still playing on the Werewolf patch, I'm really sad about the things we probably won't see. All this time I've had faith that one day we'd have sci-fi/space theme/time travel (outside of Batuu), Fairies, improved and playable Ghosts (and create them in CAS) with possible Grim Reaper expanded gameplay, Superheroes/Villains, Zombies, and Dragons/mythology/fantasy/medieval. I figured there was so much opportunity with Game Packs to explore some of the more interesting and "outside the box" themes and that at some point they'd actually finally dedicate an EP to something fantasy based.

It just doesn't seem right because Sims 4 is already twice the length of Sims 3 and Sims 3 had most of those things. Even Sims 2 had Zombies and Genies and touched a little bit on the Superheroes in certain careers (which I loved). Of course, Sims 4 did expand more on Vampires and Werewolves, which I love completely, but we've got, what, twelve EPs alone for TS4 while TS3 had something like ten? Yet even our PlantSims are neutered and deserve a redo.

I honestly don't have high hopes for the next iteration. It just feels like it's moving so far away from the game it used to be and clearly all of the life simulators in production are striving to capture reality more than anything. :'(

I’m not sure about the next iteration, I can understand the demand for a realistic life sim but it should definitely not be The Sims. The Sims should stay true to its outlandish and quirky nature and offer more options for players that are not interested in using modern/ realistic technology in their game. I would even be happy with a Spin-off such as The Sims Medieval, but with a lot more freedom in story telling.

When it comes to TS4, I’m still clinging to a shred of hope now that we have infants and the latest, highly desired family/ generations pack. With those ‘out of the way’ we’ll hopefully get a plant sim revamp as part of a fairies GP and maybe even that Grim Reaper career!

I don’t however, feel confident about them adding anything too eccentric. If they did, it’s entirely possible that many simmers will spontaneously combust, especially after the “shock” that was Strangerville & Batuu and I’m sure the team just doesn’t want to deal with yet another “Literally No One Asked For This!!!” -GP related backlash, but I do hope I’m 100% wrong. I’m so ready for something different and experimental. I’m tired of clean bathroom rugs.

I do believe that the devs genuinely love working on occult/ supernatural packs. It has become obvious to me that every single one of those packs is produced with the kind of passion that I’ve been unable to find in the gameplay content of some of the other, highly requested realistic packs, but this could be because I simply have a preference for the fantastical stuff. Unfortunately it’s just not what the majority of simmers want.

I wonder if an equestrian EP will be released this year, since the team has been hinting at horses a fair bit now.
    This could be interesting as long as there’s at least a mix of modern and antique/ primitive riding gear (and no auto-helmets plzzzzzz 😩).

I’ve decided that my recently crowned King Werebeast requires a horse.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @Future Thank you for verifying that only one TV works. I love the old long TVs and admit I am very disappointed that it doesn't work. I guess it would work as a side table. I plan on getting both kits when I start playing again.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited April 2023
    People often say gameplay and I know what they mean by that. But for me, building a greenhouse and having my sims grow stuff in there is gameplay. Dressing them up in new CAS is also gameplay. I see the whole experience as playing the sims.

I genuinely like most of the kits and have fun with them. There’s been a few rubbish ones but that’s personal taste really. Generally I like them. My favourites are simtimates, moonlight chic and pastel pop. I really like the greenhouse one so far. My sims almost exclusively wear trainers from kits, they’re so much better than alternatives.

I do think they could go a little more out there with them though! For example if there is no plans for a royalty/medieval/Wild West gamepack, I’d be happy to see these in kits. I really liked that courtyard oasis one for this reason, it’s unlike anything else we have.

I think expansions and game packs are the time for gameplay, we’ve just had one and another is on the way. So for me these are cheap and fun little diversions in the meantime.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I really think that there are Kits that goes so perfectly with other packs. For example:

Oasis Courtyard goes with Island Living & Jungle Adventure <3
    Decor to the Max/Fashion Street goes with City Living & Wedding :p
    Little Campers goes perfectly with Outdoor Retreat B)
    Country Kitchen goes perfectly with Cottage Living :)
    Blooming Room & Greenhouse goes with Seasons & Eco Living ;)
    Midnight Chic & Carivore Festival goes with Luxury Party :D
    Throwback Fit goes with Fitness :o

I tend to see things beyond the front cover. ;)

Saw a review of the pack, and greenhouse. The lights in basement work sort of, and at least some of the mirror interactions are present. Both kits are essentially clutter, not useful.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,404 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I really think that there are Kits that goes so perfectly with other packs. For example:

Oasis Courtyard goes with Island Living & Jungle Adventure <3
    Decor to the Max/Fashion Street goes with City Living & Wedding :p
    Little Campers goes perfectly with Outdoor Retreat B)
    Country Kitchen goes perfectly with Cottage Living :)
    Blooming Room & Greenhouse goes with Seasons & Eco Living ;)
    Midnight Chic & Carivore Festival goes with Luxury Party :D
    Throwback Fit goes with Fitness :o

I tend to see things beyond the front cover. ;)

I agree! Though some I enjoy more than others, every kit so far has been fun to include in game.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990