Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Today vs. 2014-2017

thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
edited March 2023 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Do you feel as though the same gripes you had with the game back then are still relevant? Has the "not enough content" issue finally been solved? What do you like the most about The Sims 4, compared to older iterations?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• fazemanpressfazemanpress Posts: 206 Member
    I have been playing the sims since sims 1 and sims 3 - i find a huuuge improvement throughout the 3 games. I find the sims have emotions/feelings/likes and needs and can multitask - like they are sad/cold/upset/angry - makes more realistic and fun.

Also love the new world and weather makes it realistic and with holidays they have or make your own

I mostly play legacy type game - where there is family with grandparents and few generations - and have legacy house - so sims 4 is perfect for that and some good expansion packs

the only downfall no drums yet and cant make an offical band that im sad about, hope they bring them back

I feel they have a come along way from sims 1 - alot of changes and improvements - the packs are not perfect like sims 3 - could be bit better or add similar careers or items like bring them back
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    I've never been one to compare the different versions. I've appreciated each version for it's own strengths and if I had the time I'd still be playing the previous three versions.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited March 2023
    I was happy with the The Sims 4 from the beginning and a lot has been added since then which has kept me interested. I was still playing The Sims 2 when I bought The Sims 4. Felt it was a welcomed change. For me the biggest improvements compared to The Sims 2 were being able to visit other households, additions like manage worlds and having surroundings around the lot to explore. The first two especially I find very useful for my playstyle (rotational).
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    edited March 2023
    Every new iteration has pros and cons.

I only have a few gripes with TS4.

1) I still hate the loading screens. When I played TS3 my Sim used to run all over the neighborhood going to the different shops and activities. And when I tired of viewing that Sim, I could simply click over to see what another Sim was doing back at home. Unfortunately, I don’t think we will ever have this kind of freedom in TS4. The addition of the rabbit hole cinema in Growing Together is a nice touch so if they could just start adding rabbit holes to every neighborhood it would definitely help out with my concern.

2) I would love more worlds! This may sound greedy because we actually do have a substantial number of worlds when you look at it objectively, but I just like the idea of downloading more worlds and playing in different environments. I also don’t like that we can’t live in the rental worlds without mods. Why can’t that be an option given to us by now?

3) Will we ever get cars? I just want to plop a car down on a driveway with a real garage door attached to a house, tell my Sim to get in and he’ll teleport to the museum. Am I asking too much? Perhaps…

4) Many gameplay objects are missing. It’s not so much to me that “oh we had it in TS3 why can’t we have it in TS4. It’s really that… these are cool objects and I would like to see them! Drums, pool table, trampoline, etc. These are objects I would put into every Sim’s house and use. They are noticeably absent.

I’m still enjoying the game and everything they add. I know the game is winding down so the likelihood of any of this happening is slim but I remain hopeful to some degree.
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    I didn't have any gripes back then. I do now.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I have kinda the same gripes now as I had back in 2014. I have only played a bit of The Sims 3 so I can't compare to any earlier iterations.

I loved the customization and how creative I could be with sims and their home lot back in 2014 and I still like it now and how it has been improved. What I didn't like was that jobs were rabbit holes and that there were loading screens every time I needed to travel and no cars either so I often felt stuck on my home lot and that's still kinda an issue today, we never got a lot more active careers.

The only thing left that I would like to see added to the game are cars, apart from that, I think this game has reached it's limits.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Only a few of my gripes have gotten addressed, but I got mods for the rest, so most of them are gone now.

That said, I don't like the newer additions that are supposed to give our sims depth, because in practise they are very over the top and instead of adding personality only turn my characters into caricatures of themselves. The sims are still missing social awareness, for example a mean and ambitious sim would definitely know not to alienate his boss. He should get a tense moodlet for having to force himself to be nice instead of outright choosing mean options (free will off doesn't help 100%, if you are not quick with the pause key, the sims will find ways to slip in their own conversation choices). The tense mood would lower his chances for success naturally.

The sims should also recognize their surroundings (bathroom, public space), now THAT would go a a long way towards creating immersion!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The good news: the missing core features like toddlers and pools have been added, more packs since then so more places to go and things to do.

The where did they go?: The special events such as Day of the Dead around Halloween, the plant sim thing, the do good things event, the concert they did a couple of years ago. They were fun and gave us and our sims something special to do.

The less than good news: was a bugfest then, is a bugfest now. Only more so thanks to packs that were shipped broken, 'enhancements' that have only made player lives more stressful when playing, patches and updates that have broken things that used to work properly, the bugged and broken things that have remained unfixed for years - especially the big ones like reverting to dirt plants, the EA app that seems to be universally loathed, it's still the same old not intended for the purpose engine at the bottom of it and which is becoming increasingly overloaded.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I never had many gripes with ts4 back then. I always loved it BUT I found it to be empty. I decided to take a break until more content was released. When I came back around the time of island living I fell in love with it. Had a lot of fun. Fast forward to today and I'm blown away by what the sims team have brought to this game and how it only keeps getting better and better. To be honest ts4 has loads of content, plenty I haven't done yet but at the same time I feel like it still needs more. More worlds, more objects, more interactions, more packs, more occults, more socials, more traits, more togetherness, more kid content etc. It's getting there but needs more 😁

I went back and brought and played sims 3 some time ago because everyone was praising it so hard.
    It was a GREAT game and I'm not a fan of comparing games. Every game is unique and nice for it's own reasons and there is no wrong one to love. But I just liked pretty much loved *almost* everything better about ts4. It just feels like the perfect game for me. If i had to choose the only thing I liked better about ts3 was pets, (omg it's a blast to control them) tons of traits, and the open world was an interesting experience. But that definitely wasn't enough to keep me from dropping it for ts4 again. And in my opinion when they do bring out things in ts4 it's the best version ever. Best infants, best toddlers, best werewolves, best vampires, and other things. Even the new dynamics and relationships are becoming the best. Multi tasking is a MUST. I don't feel like I could play a sims game without it now. I love it.

I also feel like the team has learned so much since the start of the game and everything is constantly improving. I rarely ever had bugs and still don't. The few I get is nothing extraordinary for a complex game and never diminishes my fun. Excited to see where ts4 keeps going from here! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥳🥳🥳
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    Sims 4 now feels like a much better game than it was at launch. As someone who loved to play sims 2, there were too many features missing at release to call the sims 4 a complete game at that point. I had no interest in that version of the game. Toddlers were the tuning point for me. When I found out that toddlers were added, I started playing Sims 4.

When it comes to content, I think the sims 4 has enough to be an enjoyable game. What sims 4 still lacks is freedom in certain areas. We can't edit the world. We can't choose lot placement. We can't change the climate of worlds. We can't edit the length of lifestages separately. We don't have a color wheel. The build mode swatch don't allow multiple channels like in the sims 2 (for example choosing bed sheets separate from bedframes) Sims 4 started strong with clubs we can edit but gives no options to change student clubs, werewolf packs,... . These are just a few examples where sims 4 feels very rigid compared to it's predecessors. The 'you rule' slogan from the launch is not that important anymore.
    I've never been one to compare the different versions. I've appreciated each version for it's own strengths and if I had the time I'd still be playing the previous three versions.

I have a good point there. Each version has it's own strengths and weaknesses. I do compare them at occasion but in general I try to enjoy sims 4 for it's own game. The transition from Sims 1 to 2 and from Sims 2 to 3 felt like an improvement. Sims 4 did not at launch but now it has reached a point where it feels like it is starting to reach it's potential.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited March 2023
    The Sims 4 launched with an extremely weak base game.
    They have slowly added back content that should have been there since the get-go.

I am behind in playing Growing Together, but what I have seen so far helps a lot for what I have felt the game needed.
    All I need now to complete compatibility is an attraction system.

-Toddlers
    -Infants
    -Parenthood
    -High school Years
    -University
    -Growing Together
    -Sentiments

Have improved the game for me.
    What remains is fixing game play mechanics that are broken, poorly implemented, or poorly conceived.

I want to cancel wants/wishes that I feel don't relate to my sim.
    I want conquered fears to remain conquered, not return the next day or two.

There are still a few things I want:
    -A modeling Career
    -Hotels/BnB
    -Bands (multiple music genres)
    -Fairies
    -Cars (don't care if compromises have to be made)
    -Future Technology and time travel, even to the past
    -Attraction to go along with compatibility

The game is feeling just about complete now.
    With Life By You, Paralives, and Alterlife, entering into the ring, I feel EA really needs to fix the remaining issues simmmers are finding lacking or annoying in TS4, or they may find too many of their customers moving on to these other games instead of moving on to Project Rene.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I still have a lot of the same complaints I did back then. Some things have been fixed mainly toddlers infants and teens were finally made to feel more teen as well as elders finally have some gameplay of their own but many things remain the same.

- Worlds are still small overly stylized and uneditable so the player can't make them their own or truly build what they want because the team that created the world decided what was best for us instead of the player
    - Retail is still a total joke
    - Most expansions hardly expand anything beyond the new world they come with. Eco Living trash effects one world, apartments locked to City Living unless they decide to make them somewhere else not player choice, strays in only one world as well as High School and so on
    - Sims still have little to no awareness of Sims and the world around them
    - No real consequences Sims are always happy and best friends made a married couple fight and divorce seconds later they were chatting it up best buddies. Did I not just make them hate each other...
    - We still have no cars
    - Children have no game play not tied to an object or they can do in groups larger than 2 like ride bikes together play tag or macro polo.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2023
    I do compare all versions especially when the newest version has evolved from the previous version which incorporates old and new features which Sims 4 has not done. So, my gripes will continue to exist because Sims 4 was not built ground up and only exist because of a cancelled project in which they used those same assets from that project. In doing so may have placed some limitations on how EA/Maxis can use them, and this is what I got today a limitation on "I rule" and how creative I can be. Also, Ea/Maxis took away apps and features that was once available to its customers free of charge and in this version now charge its customers or put it behind a paywall and too date can't make a neighborhood, add lots or go beyond the primary colors. Another gripe is not allowing my systems to scale up and use my specs accordingly. EA/Maxis feels there should be one level of bells and whistles regardless of what the system has so my system cannot scale to what I am using. So those will always be my gripe and now the wait is on for seeing how they do Sims 5.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ThornwillowThornwillow Posts: 123 Member
    My main issue with the game since then it's that they keep putting basic and fundamental things from the franchise behind a paywall with no reason. I feel like they did the base game dirty comparing to older games in the franchise and we basically need to buy packs to feel like we're playing The Sims. Some of my complaints are:

- Simology: Lifestyles, reputation, milestones, etc. should've been BG cause they're basic and works with concepts we already have in it and don't specifically need pack features to work. The only ones that makes sense being exclusive are Fame and Character Values because they're the main focuses of their packs.

- Create a Sim: The quality of items don't even get close to what we have for packs (look at Demo's hairs) and we need a more flexible occult's creation. Also i really miss more customization and think we deserved at least one set of body freckles and moles. I still hoping for prosthetic limbs, body painting mode and poses for sims (like cats and dogs).

- Gameplay: The lack of interaction with some clutter objects and collectible pets and the way we can't have careers like babysitting, culinary and entertainer, even new ones like librarian or museum guide and analyst, as semi-active still bugs me. Also pay content features like singing and dancing skills, temperatures, tanning, eco footprint, NAPs, puberty(shaving and acne), pillow fights, slumber party and social compatibility shouldn't be behind a paywall.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited May 2023
    It is whole different game than in 2014 for sure

but obviously there is still few core problems for me
    like the randomized townies, lack of toggles etc

and yes as for content obviously some fun I miss from the older games
    even though i have gotten many things that were on the wishlist for longest time

I am starting to want less though seeing how its starting to eat at the performance with all these packs

getting more picky about things that might not be at the top of the list for me but take a lot of space
    (like new worlds for instance or thousand and one croptops i may never use)
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited March 2023
    Always gonna be an ongoing thing with X having X and this game not having X like X.

I don't even think about comparing over small things. The more you do the more likely you aren't going to enjoy it. Like S2 to the first game, like S3 to S2, and like S4 to S3. Each game has something enjoy from it that the other doesn't have.

Best to just treat it like it's own thing cause every iteration has been pretty different from the other.

S4 to when it first came out to now though? It's like night and day. I enjoyed what the game brought and it's features and looks, but it wasn't ready for people definitely and what was introduced wasn't enough to keep you interested. Definitely a better base game than what was it was when it first came.

Toddlers, NPC's, Pools, More traits, World Map, More Aspirations,Prononoun and Sexuality preferences (whether you love it or hate it, Better lighting, More skintones, Opacity Sliders for Makeup, Basements/Deeper basements, Ladders and More customization for stairs, More indepth Sims Profiles, More Careers, Family Trees (lol yeah wasn't there in the base game there), Monster under the bed for kids, Fear emotion, Sentiments, Cooking Together, Update of color swatches to various basegame items and doors, Neighborhood Stories, and Scenarios.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,231 Member
    I like all the work that Maxis did, globally I'm not disappointed.

And I'm hungry for more, there are still many things to add to The Sims 4, new and old content.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Hm, well the game definitely improved since it's launch in 2014 till a couple years after, but IMO I will never feel like this game is complete. I think that is due to the lack of depth that the gameplay has. I also do not like emotions. They feel more annoying to me than make the sims feel "smarter" or more alive. I preferred Moodlets and then traits really giving my sims personality. Even the system from TS2 is better to me than what TS4 has.

I definitely think B/B mode is the strongest out of the franchise, but I don't think that should be what is most strong in a life simulation game so those are my thoughts.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I do compare all versions especially when the newest version has evolved from the previous version which incorporates old and new features which Sims 4 has not done. So, my gripes will continue to exist because Sims 4 was not built ground up and only exist because of a cancelled project in which they used those same assets from that project. In doing so may have placed some limitations on how EA/Maxis can use them, and this is what I got today a limitation on "I rule" and how creative I can be. Also, Ea/Maxis took away apps and features that was once available to its customers free of charge and in this version now charge its customers or put it behind a paywall and too date can't make a neighborhood, add lots or go beyond the primary colors. Another gripe is not allowing my systems to scale up and use my specs accordingly. EA/Maxis feels there should be one level of bells and whistles regardless of what the system has so my system cannot scale to what I am using. So those will always be my gripe and now the wait is on for seeing how they do Sims 5.

My exact feelings haha.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I am much happier about Sims 4 now compared to the nothing, nothing back in 2014. However, there still needs to be the long term base fixed for the poor ground garden plants. As well as, permanent Plantsims, a proper sleepable Heartshape Bed, Drums, Spiral Stairs, Time Machine, Time Travel, Medieval World gameplay, Egypt World, Futuristic World, Fairies, Genies,
    30 Color Swatches for CAS/Objects, Horses/Unicorns, Dragons & maybe Cars. ;)
  • Kai252018Kai252018 Posts: 76 Member
    Still no cars
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Still no Neighborhood Editors, No colors beyond the primary colors, Same old and same old nothing new. :/
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Much improved over first release, still so very far from where it could and should be. Too many things still don't work right, if at all, too many things missing that we had before, too many opportunities missed. TS4 could have been a 'blow the doors off', 'knock it out of the park' kind of game but the potential was lost and it's probably too late. A pity as it is incredibly beautiful and some things were brilliantly done.
  • EleriEleri Posts: 548 Member
    logion wrote: »
    What I didn't like was . . . there were loading screens every time I needed to travel and no cars either so I often felt stuck on my home lot and that's still kinda an issue today.
    I used to play Sims 2, where we had cars that you could own and drive, but you still had to go through a loading screen to get anywhere. The fact is, without open world, cars are a very minor fluff feature. They do absolutely nothing to make the world feel more open. We kind of had a taste of this with Island Living and water transportation. If you own a water vehicle and are using it to travel somewhere in your neighborhood, it's a waste of time. By the time you climb into your vehicle, travel to the destination and climb out again, it actually takes longer than just jogging there. In Sims 2, you would watch the person climb into the car and drive a short distance before the loading screen would come up. I personally think that going strait to the loading screen without having to wait for a car animation to complete is more efficient.

When it comes to navigating the worlds, one thing I really do miss from Sims 2 is the address book. It was nice to pick out where you wanted to go and the loading screen would take you there, instead of having to go to world view. I like world view if you want to scope out possibilities. I just wish I had the address book option for times when I already know exactly where I want to go. I'm not sure why they never revived that concept in the Sims 4 at some point over the past eight years.

-No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I still have a lot of the same complaints I did back then. Some things have been fixed mainly toddlers infants and teens were finally made to feel more teen as well as elders finally have some gameplay of their own but many things remain the same.

- Worlds are still small overly stylized and uneditable so the player can't make them their own or truly build what they want because the team that created the world decided what was best for us instead of the player
    - Retail is still a total joke
    - Most expansions hardly expand anything beyond the new world they come with. Eco Living trash effects one world, apartments locked to City Living unless they decide to make them somewhere else not player choice, strays in only one world as well as High School and so on
    - Sims still have little to no awareness of Sims and the world around them
    - No real consequences Sims are always happy and best friends made a married couple fight and divorce seconds later they were chatting it up best buddies. Did I not just make them hate each other...
    - We still have no cars
    - Children have no game play not tied to an object or they can do in groups larger than 2 like ride bikes together play tag or macro polo.

I feel the same way you do...I feel like EA just isn't listening to us. Why should we play a game that just keeps getting worse as time goes on? Why should we have to put up with more years of Sims 4 when the devs keep giving us worlds with rabbit holes and set dressing?

I'm so glad Life By you is coming soon...once I'm able to get a brand-new computer,I'll be downloading Life By you,and I'll be leaving Sims 4.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?