Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My "Three Kings" of Christmas

emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
Hey everyone! :smiley:

🎄 MERRY CHRISTMAS! 🎄

I am SO excited to share my 2022 Christmas story with y'all this year. :blush: I've been working tirelessly on it since October and it has been a real joy. It - and the characters - are already holding a very special place in my heart. <3

There are a few "firsts" for me as a writer in this story so I hope that will add to the excitement of it all for you. :blush: Thank you for being here and thank you always for your support in my work. It means so much. :kissing_heart:

And now, without further adieu, here is, "My 'Three Kings' of Christmas."

Introduction

Ok, so you all know the song. And you’re probably wondering who exactly are these “three kings?”

Well they aren’t the three wise men who brought gifts to the baby Jesus, of course, nor are they literal kings for that matter. But they may as well have been. Because they were the most handsome, lovely, heaven sent men to come out of the Orient and into my life that Christmas that I had ever laid eyes on! Yes, I said Orient. So shoot me! Because I'll have you know that I too come from the Orient…and I’m not ashamed to say it. Nor find silly offense in hearing someone say it. It’s all good everyone. Life's too short to be getting offended by every little thing.

Anyway, my mom has always encouraged me to keep a journal; to preserve my life story. “For posterity's sake,” she would say. “They will learn much from your life experiences and gain wisdom for their own.” Well…I'm ashamed to admit that I haven’t always been the best at keeping a journal. We live in such a busy, fast paced world. There’s way too much we're “supposed” to do on a daily basis and honestly, journaling has always been at the bottom of that list for me.

However this story…a piece of my story…was too amazing and wonderful not to pen down and share for the generations to come.

Let me start off with a quick introduction about me.

52536858873_beb46ac470_c.jpg

My name is Malai Reataza. [Pronounced: Muh-lie - Ray-uh-taza] I come from a family of three children. I am the youngest, aged 28, and I am half Thai, half Filipino. Bet you’re wondering the story behind that. Well…my father, Sergio [Sehr-geo] Reataza, was born and raised in Cebu City, Philippines. During his early adulthood, he accompanied his father on a business trip to Thailand. While at the airport, waiting for their flight home, his eyes caught hold upon “the most beautiful woman to ever grace planet earth,” working at the flight desk. Long story short, he bravely approached the woman and they struck up a conversation - both having learned English in school thankfully - and clicked instantly. He learned that her name was Nin [Neen] which he also thought was the most beautiful name in the world too.

When the plane arrived, both couldn’t leave without the thought of ever seeing each other again. The bond between them was too strong; clearly driven and directed by a higher power, they would say. So they exchanged addresses and kept in touch through letters for almost a whole year. They even called each other on rare occasions, because that was pretty expensive to do in those days. Eventually my father saved up enough money to fly, with a simple ring in his pocket, to Bangkok to ask Nin, my mother, to marry him. And the rest, as they say, is history. They immigrated to the United States when my mother was pregnant with my oldest sister. My father got a job in the simple town of Maplewood Falls, Maine and it’s where I grew up and where they’ve lived ever since.

52536858808_fcced7802f_c.jpg

Currently I am living in Brooklyn, New York. Living out my childhood dream in the big city. I still can’t believe the dream actually came true. And it was NOT easy getting there, I’ll have you know!

After high school, I was accepted into the University of Maine where I spent four grueling, yet super fun years pursuing a degree in Graphic Design. So yeah, I’m a Graphic Designer! Designing for the critically acclaimed Chic Magnifique interior design Magazine. It’s right up there in popularity with Better Homes and Gardens - of course CM is 1000x better.

Landing this epic and honorable job wouldn’t have been possible without a little help from my best friend, Landon Adams.

52536946843_cc709e675c_c.jpg

Dear Landon…the story between us I could write pages about…but these aren’t the pages for it to be written on.

But suffice it to say, he and I were a couple once. And it really was one of the happiest times in my teenage life. We were friends first, and maybe that’s why the love we had for each other flowed so deep. And part of that love still exists between us to this day.

We dated for a little over 7 months between our sophomore and junior years of High School. It was towards the end of our courtship that Landon revealed to me that he had been developing feelings for men…and that he didn’t want to “lead me on” when he couldn’t give me all of his heart; in that way. I appreciated his honesty and thoughtfulness, but my heart broke that day. And it took a while to get over. We were both afraid we wouldn’t be able to stay friends, but we parted on good terms and our friendship still thrived throughout the rest of our high school years. He dated other guys and, well, so did I.

We kept in touch mostly through Facebook - and you know how casual that is - throughout our college years. But we went a good long while without speaking to each other as we worked to earn our degrees. In a way, we lost touch.

Not long after earning my degree I made a post on Facebook about how I was looking for a new job and it somehow caught Landon’s attention. He reached out to me saying that he was just hired on as an “Assistant to the Editor” for Chic Magnifique magazine and I about died! SO LUCKY! He told me they were looking to hire a new Graphic Designer and that I should totally apply. Then he added, “And I could put in a good word for you.”

“YES PLEASE!” was my immediate response. Of course, I thanked him for letting me know about it.

I don’t know how it happened, it was a legit miracle, but I was soon invited over to Brooklyn for an interview and out of 50-something other applicants, they chose ME! Malai Reataza! To be their newest Graphic Designer. It was the BEST day of my ENTIRE life!

Until Christmas break four years later...

And this is where my story with the “Three Kings” begins…

❄❄❄

Chapter 1

*Two days before Christmas*

52535844332_e46e79ed99_c.jpg

Allow me to illustrate exactly how everything happened.

It was a typical weekday morning for me. Get up - after hitting snooze on my phone alarm about five times - shower, get dressed in one of my cute business casual outfits and stylish boots, blow-dry my hair, curl my hair, put on make-up, throw my coat on, grab my purse and keys, and head out the door. The crisp, cold air of winter instantly bit at my nose and ears as I rushed down the front steps to embrace the new day.

First stop, The Coffee Cottage for my morning pick me up. And breakfast. It’s a lovely little walk up shop, shaped and colored like a humble cottage in the woods, nestled tightly between a gas station and a laundromat. Starbucks is much easier to get to, but their coffee is super overrated if you ask me! Mediocre tasting at best. If I’m gonna spend darn near $8 for a 20oz cup of coffee every morning, it’s gotta be good, rich coffee!

Landon agrees with me, which is why I pick up a cup for him as well. And because I like to do that for my buddy anyway. He pays me back the moment I hand it to him. Faithfully. I love him.

It takes some serious skill to hold two cups of hot coffee while briskly walking to work, weaving through crowds of people, and then going through the rolling door into the office building and up the stairs.

52536594699_a211cf4333_c.jpg

Speaking of Landon, he was promoted to Editor in Chief just two months ago after the previous EC left to work for another magazine. So now he’s my boss! It’s kinda crazy, but super cool at the same time. No worries, he doesn’t give me any special treatment over the others for being his BFF. He’s very professional.

I walk down the hall surrounded by cubicles and greet my co-workers with a smile. We’re all friends here and pretty much a family away from our own.

Never did I ever think that Landon and I would be the two people in charge of the famed Chic Magnifique Magazine in our future. Heck I didn’t think we would even have a future together, ever since we broke up, but I can’t even begin to express how wonderful it feels to be best friends again. We’re both where we’re meant to be at this stage in our lives and everything feels right in the world.

As I approached Landon's office, I blissfully thought, I love my life. And there’s not a single thing I’d change about it.

52536304971_1e407ebf00_c.jpg

Of course my parents would love if something in particular about my life changed…and soon before I become an “old woman past child bearing age.” Can you practically hear my eye roll?

Getting married.

I mean, sure, it’d be lovely to find the perfect guy someday, get married, and maybe have a few kids, but…is it SO wrong for a girl to focus on her career before doing all of that? You know, have some financial stability in this ever changing world and economy? I guess that’s what always set me apart from my parents and siblings, and why I’m the child my parents worry the most about. My sister Liezel got married at 19 and my brother Direk, at 21!

Sure my parents have always shown support in my decision to go to college and earn a degree, but I could always sense that deep down they just wished I would’ve done things the more traditional way, or in my personal opinion, the outdated way. It’s not their fault though…It was just how they were raised and how society was when they were growing up. And they do mean well by it…

But every single time I go home to visit, mainly at Christmastime, they continually ask me:

“So how’s dating life?”
“Met anyone special yet?”
“Are you becoming too busy to date?”
“You still want to have kids don’t you?”

ARGH!

52536595004_ff3568ae4d_c.jpg

And what really gets to me is when we’re at church and people say to my parents, “Oh it’s so lovely to see Malai again. Is she engaged yet?” And then of course one of my parents will give the painful response in the most tactful way possible while the other looks over to the side with an inaudible sigh.

I’m sick of it.

I’M the one that’s in charge of my life and how I want to run it. I know what’s best for me and if people don’t like that, then…tough! It’s not like I don’t date. I do…when I have the time. And aren’t we always taught - mainly in the religious aspect - that everything happens “in its own due time” and that we should just trust God/Buddah/Fate/etc in ALL things. Well, that’s what I’m doing! For some of us, marriage and kids aren’t meant to come right away in our life! Why is it not more accepted that that’s OK!?

Alright, breathe. Calm yourself Malai…

Sometimes, I just don’t get it. Life.

52536780740_5b9909d01b_c.jpg

So I just go with the flow and see where it takes me; striving to be the best person I can be - in virtue and success - at the same time.

That is why for the past 4 years now, I’ve utterly dreaded going home for Christmas…

The pushing inquiries from my family have gotten worse because here I am, pushing 30, and I’m still single and childless…

But I’m not going to focus on that right now. I’m at work and I need to get Landon’s coffee to him.

“Hey! Good morning!” I greet him after a light knock on his office door.
“Hey Mai,” he usually greets me in return, quickly glancing up in acknowledgement from his computer. Mai is the nickname he gave me back in high school and even when we broke up it still stuck. I don’t mind it.
“Here’s your coffee,” I approached, placing it on his desk.
“Great! Thank you. You’re the best,” he winked, sipping and slipping the payback cash to me between his other two fingers like he always does.
And as always I promptly swiped those folded bills. “You’re welcome.”

“I was just going over your final design templates for January’s magazine,” he informed, sipping again. “They look fantastic, as usual, buuuut…there are a few subtle changes I’d like to suggest in some areas; if you don’t mind?”
“No, of course not. You’re the boss,” I winked at him now.

52536853918_fe4511d263_c.jpg

So we discussed that and finalized everything.

“Guess that’s a wrap!” Landon declared, slapping his hands on his thighs and then getting up from his chair. “I’ll send it off to the printing department this afternoon.”
“Awesome! I’ve got a few more things to wrap up for the year so I’ll be–”
“Hang on a sec,” he kindly interrupted, passing by me to close his office door. Then he turned around with a smirking smile on his face. “As fun as it is ‘bossing’ you around,” he grinned, “I’d like to switch back to being your best friend now.”
I smiled.
“Soooo…you heading home for Christmas this year?” he asked in that tenderly inquiring, all knowing tone.

52536597469_10c1986806_c.jpg

I slightly rolled my eyes. “Probably…”
“Probably?”
“Ok, most likely.” I shook my head at him with a quick grin. “I’ve been trying to come up with a way to get out of it, but…I dunno,” I lowered my head, picking at my fingernail. “I just feel like it would hurt their feelings if I didn’t come. Especially when I’m unable to visit them any other time of the year…”
He nodded. “I get it. You do have some great folks.”
“I know,” I replied with sincerity, “but not when they’re overtly and inadvertently shoving marriage down my throat every time I visit. Is it so hard to ask how it’s going with my job or–”

52536305956_f66abb0817_c.jpg

“I know…,” he hushed.
I heaved a sigh.
“Well, I had this thought that I wanted to run by–”

He was interrupted by my phone ringing.

“Sorry,” I expressed, reaching into my pocket to answer it. It was my mom. Coincidentally enough.

She was calling to confirm if I was for sure coming home for Christmas - since it was two days away and they hadn’t heard from me yet. Oops. I meant to call them after work today. By this point, I told her yes.

“Good! Now remember that Liezel and Direk are spending Christmas with their in-laws this year,” she informed.
“I…don’t remember that…,” I uttered, shooting a glance at Landon.

52535842297_e498d28af5_c.jpg

Although what I really felt like saying was, “Fantastic,” in a very sarcastic tone through a fake smile. Now all the attention would REALLY be on me; and all my “flaws.”

“But I have a surprise!” my mom exclaimed.

52536599789_b8b9e5934f_c.jpg

“Oh?” I was honestly afraid to ask.

52536784180_794d22f67a_c.jpg

“I’ve invited the new neighbors to join us for Christmas dinner. They came from Canada and are originally from Japan. It’s so nice to have another Asian family in Maplewood Falls.” We both chuckled. “Mami is just the sweetest lady and we’ve become fast friends. She and Hoshi are a lovely couple; they’re about the same age as me and your father.”
“Great.”
“They told me their three children and granddaughter will be joining us for dinner as well so...I wanted to give you the heads up.”
“Oh…uh…ok.” This was different. But good.
My mom agreed by saying, “I figure, the more the merrier! I can’t wait for them to meet you, and you to meet them.”
“Yeah, me too, mom. Sounds great.”

52536857188_9b1a594737_c.jpg

“Alright, well you let me know when your plane lands ok? You coming tonight?”
Guess so…, I thought. “Yes, and I will mom. But right now I’m at work, so I have to go.”
“Oh yes, yes, sorry honey. Finish work. Say Hi to Landon for me and we’ll see you tonight. I love you!”
“Love you too mom. Bye.”

Landon gave me an incredibly curious, wide-eyed look as I tucked my phone back into my pocket.

“Guess I’m heading home for Christmas…,” I mumbled.

52536309421_5579a83054_c.jpg

“I heard that.”
“Oh and my mom says Hi.”
He smiled, then pressed, “So?”

I told him about the new neighbors joining us for Christmas dinner.

“Cool! Maybe then with guests around your parents won’t bug you so much about not finding a man and getting married and stuff,” he said.

52536781785_7404eb40c5_c.jpg

I nodded slightly. “True…or it just provides them with more people to gossip to about it behind closed doors…” I don’t know why I was feeling so negative.

52536308011_e95ef4a582_c.jpg

“I doubt that. They love you, Mai. They wouldn’t offend you like that.”
He was right, and I said as much.
“Just relax,” he kindly assured, placing his hand on my shoulder. “It’s going to be great. I can’t wait for you to tell me all about it later.”
I gave him an appreciative smile.

“How about you?” I inquired. “Are you coming home for Christmas too?”
“I dunno,” he looked away with a sigh. “Probably not because there’s still a lot I gotta finalize here at work for the end of the year. Plus…I have a date tonight.”
I gaped. “What!? But I thought things were going so well between you and Chris–”
He shook his head in answer to that before I could even finish.
“Oh Landon…,” I frowned. “I’m so sorry.”
“Don’t be,” he assured with a shrug. “It just wasn’t meant to be. Seems that’s how it’s been with me and my partners for years now…,” he trailed off, staring at the wall for a moment. He returned his gaze to me and concluded with, “Hopefully I’ll find a potential future with Justin tonight.”

52536783750_08e19cdc17_c.jpg

“Oh so that’s his name huh?” I winked. “Where did you meet him?”
“Online. We hit it off pretty quickly so we thought we’d meet in person.”
I smiled in happiness for him. “Well,” I started, placing a caring hand on his chest, “I hope you have a very wonderful time with Justin tonight and that he’ll be ‘the one.’ You deserve a good partner Landon, because you’re a good partner. I hope you find all the happiness in the world in that regard.”

52536855088_6165ac8e2d_c.jpg

I could see a little glistening in his eyes. “Thanks Mai. Love you.”

52536785460_e40c58269e_c.jpg

“Love you too,” I expressed, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek, and then headed for the door.

“Merry Christmas,” he wished to me, which made me stop and turn for a moment. “And don’t worry, your Christmas is going to be great. I know it.” He smiled.

I really appreciated it; and his confidence. “Thanks Landon. Merry Christmas to you too. See you later!”

52535843007_be8aaaa523_c.jpg

❄❄❄

Since I was for sure heading home for Christmas, I booked the first flight I could get my hands on that evening of the 23rd. I don’t know how I got so lucky because normally it’s almost impossible to find a flight home for Christmas last minute! (I guess nowadays they have special seats reserved if one is willing to pay out the wazoo for one, which...I ended up doing. Because I had to…Sigh…) It was ok though. I just kept reminding myself of Landon’s confident assurances.

My parents were overjoyed to see me, as I always am to see them. Even if they do drive me crazy sometimes.

52536785815_e8f6c3d194_c.jpg

52536600044_330a6e06f5_c.jpg

Honestly, all the marriage nagging aside, I couldn’t have asked for better parents. They've always set a good example to me and my siblings, in word and deed, and I owe much of who I am to them.

It was also great to see my old room again, still unchanged from the last time I lived in it.

52493778771_b3cf3a3fc6_c.jpg

52494247190_524d2850d4_c.jpg

I love that they haven’t changed it into a sewing room or a home gym or something. (Because they totally could!) It gives me the warm fuzzies and reminded me of their love for me all the more.

There’s just something about being in your parents home that instantly wraps you up in a cozy, secure blanket, shielding you from all the cares of the world for a time and permitting you rest. It’s a feeling unlike any other, one you never forget, and one you long for over and over again in your adult life. Why I didn't go home more often for that much needed feeling…well…you know. Perhaps someday that would change. Or maybe it was my perspective that needed to change...

But no matter. I quickly threw on my PJs, plopped myself right down onto my bed, and basked in the feeling of "home."

Ahhhh.

Wow. I’m surprised mom and dad didn’t immediately ask me about my love life when I walked through the door…, I thought, my eyes popping open. Or looked down at my hand in hopes of seeing an engagement ring.

52535843522_a228dc3638_c.jpg

Hey DON’T JINX IT!

❄❄❄

🎄

Stay tuned for Chapter 2. TBA. :blush:
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
Post edited by emorrill on

Comments

• KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Woohooo! New story! And its something different from the usual. :) I can't wait to see what these three kings are.

I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I commented on the other thread.But will be following here to.

@emorrill
    Yes! I been waiting for today. I always love your stories.
    I actually never heard the song we three kings before, but now
    I might go listen to it.
    The way her parents met was so beautiful! Sometimes you just know huh?
    I'm so glad he perused her and finally had a beautiful daughter.
    Maplewood falls is that an actual Sims 3 world for downloading? And did that
    gorgeous little house come with it?
    Landon is such a handsome fella and I'm so glad he decided to tell her the truth
    instead of leading her on, but I bet that stung a bit.I laughed at the bit about starbucks,
    Its true. Their coffee is overrated. XD Wow! Landon being her boss. Who would have
    saw that coming. I love how you set up the office. You always do such a great job setting
    the scene. No, its not wrong to focus on your career dear, I am. And my fiance knows that.
    Poor Malai, sometimes parents can be so pushy. Oh new neighbors? Hmm I wonder if they are
    gonna be good looking guys!
  • meerkattimemeerkattime Posts: 261 Member
    @emorrill

Yay! I came the the forums yesterday to read the first part of your story, but I was here too early ;) . But now it is here, so I'll take a cup of coffee, a comfy position and start reading :blush: .

Aww, this warms up my hopeless romantic heart - I love how Malai's parents knew instantly that they belong together. Their house in Maplewood Falls looks so pretty surrounded by the fall colors of the trees, and the water behind it.
    Landon is such a cutie :love: ! Just a friend, huh? I see, an ex then. I'm glad they managed to stay as friends. It was fair of him to tell her honestly what the situation was. She was lucky he could help her to get her dream job! :star:
    Hehe, who wouldn't agree with her about Starbucks :lol: ! I don't particularly like their coffee either, especially not for that price :confounded: .
    Wonderful to see Malai so happy with her life. I think something will change soon though - maybe some interesting guy getting in picture ;) .Ahh, I see, I think like her parents, lol!
    Malai is right though. Financial security makes life easier, and she still has time to get the family too. (Would be such a waste
    not to pass on those beautiful sim genes she's got :p - I know I'm not going to see her babies in your Christmas story, but I hope
    I'll see them some other time).
    Lol, poor Malai. I think her parents should stop asking about her love life and just believe their daughter knows what she's doing.
    It's her life anyway!
    New neighbors coming over for Christmas... Well well, we'll see where this goes...
    I love that almost teary-eyed picture of Landon. I hope his date with Justin will go well :heart: .
    Malai's mom is very beautiful and Malai's teenager room looks very cute. Love the bed with the lights.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    @KevinL5275
    Woohooo! New story! And its something different from the usual. :) I can't wait to see what these three kings are.
    ^Yes. :blush: Writing in the first person for the first time in my life. :lol: Glad you like it so far. :)
    Gosh I can't wait to reveal the "three kings." :mrgreen:

@GraceyManor Lol! Your comments were the first I read on the other thread. :lol::blush: Sorry I wasn't able to respond as soon as I would've liked, but I appreciate your sweet words. <3
    But yeah I responded to you over there. :)

@meerkattime Hey girl! :smiley: Great to see you and thanks for being here. <3
    Yeah, I meant to get the story posted much sooner on the 1st, but man all this stuff came up yesterday and it was driving me nuts. :grimace:
    Aww, this warms up my hopeless romantic heart
    ^Always what I love to hear. :mrgreen:<3
    Oh Landon is hot! :love:
    Lol! I think it's funny that you (and GraceyManor) agree about Starbucks as well. :lol: And YES they are so so expensive! :confounded: Even for the non-coffee stuff.
    Wonderful to see Malai so happy with her life. I think something will change soon though - maybe some interesting guy getting in picture ;) .Ahh, I see, I think like her parents, lol!
    ^Hee hee, maybe. :smirk: Oh I love her parents too. ;)
    I might have to show Malai and - whichever guy she ends up with - babies after the story. :blush: (I think she and Landon would make some pretty babies honestly. :no_mouth::lol:<3 )
    I think I got Malai's day bed with lights from TSR, if you're curious. :)
    Thank you for the sweet comments as always. <3 I can't wait to post the next part! :smiley:
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @emorrill
    I wanted to comment on here so I could keep track lol of updates in case I miss one on the other thread.
    @emorrill
    I wanted to comment on here so I could keep track lol of updates in case I miss one on the other thread.

In the upper right corner of the post, there is a star you can click on that will bookmark this thread for you. When someone replies, it will notify you.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    @emorrill I've so been looking forward to reading this! Malai is stunning and Landon is a sweetheart (and a bit of a hearthrob too.. ah those green eyes) :love:
    I really liked the humor of Malai's inner dialogue. I can tell that she is going to be feisty! :smiley:
    I can relate to her so much with me also being a single 28 year old... :lol:
    I'm so curious to find out more about the neighbours. Will Malai get along with them or will there be drama? :naughty:
    Maplewood Falls looks great! Do you happen to have a link?
    Can't wait for more updates :kissing_heart::heart:
    @coco Hey girl! :smiley: Great to see you and thanks for being here. :kissing_heart: I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far. :blush:
    I can tell that she is going to be feisty! :smiley:
    ^Oh yes. That's what I was aiming for. ;)
    I was thinking you were younger than 28. 🙃
    Maplewood Falls is the Hylewood world by Nilxis. 👍🏻

Chapter 2 is coming in about an hour! :mrgreen:
    edited December 2022
    Chapter 2

*Christmas Eve Day*

52543160330_2295f0680b_c.jpg

I was awakened by a light knock on my door; hoping it wasn’t earlier than 8 o’clock.

“Good morning Malai,” my mother greeted softly, cracking open the door. “Merry Christmas Eve!”

“Merry Christmas Eve to you too momma,” I mumbled under the bed sheet wrapped over my nose and mouth. I was comfy. I wasn’t ready to get up just yet. However the smell of coffee rushing through the narrow opening of the door and straight into my nostrils caused me to reconsider being awake. That’s why I found it interesting when my mom said:

“I made some hot cocoa, along with your favorite breakfast quiche.”

Ohhh yes. That glorious combination of eggs, sausage, bacon, spinach leaves, bell pepper and onion with just the right amount of cheese nestled in a pie crust baked to perfection. Mmm. And no one could ever make quiche as good as my mom, not even in New York City. She was really trying to get me up. But why?

Before I could ask, she beckoned, “Come, before it gets cold,” and headed back down the hall.

I pulled the bed sheet away from my face and turned to look at the clock on my nightstand: 7:32

“Really?” I grumbled, throwing all the covers off me now and sitting up. I had hoped to get to sleep in for a bit on this first morning of Christmas break, but I guess my mom had an important reason for tempting me awake so early. At least I hope she did…

52542215982_14ce3b4b42_c.jpg

I yawned while shuffling towards the kitchen, scratching at my messy hair. Light Christmas music chimed from the CD player in the living room. My parents are still “old school” like that - using CDs - but I think it’s cute.

52543159815_11aed0c518_c.jpg

“Morning beautiful girl,” my dad lovingly greeted as he poured himself a cup of coffee. Naturally I blushed while thinking, Oh that’s right. Dad can’t have momma’s hot cocoa. He’d been trying to cut back on his sugar consumption since he was diagnosed with diabetes. But how he can drink coffee black - and not use stevia or something - is beyond me! He came over and kissed the top of my head before sitting himself down on the couch and reading the newspaper.

Mom handed me a heaping serving of quiche on a plate with a fork before getting started on washing the breakfast dishes. For some reason she only used the dishwasher for really big meals. I think it feels satisfying to her to clean the dishes herself. And really, that’s what she was always used to doing for most of her life.

I stood in the kitchen and gobbled down that delicious quiche faster than I had intended while my mom and I made a bit of small talk. She still hadn’t said or hinted at the whole me still being single thing. I could get used to this…

52543159550_8d2311546e_c.jpg

“Anyway, since we invited the Yamamoto’s over for Christmas dinner, Mami insisted that she and Hoshi host us for Christmas Eve dinner,” my mom added.
    “Ok,” I casually acknowledged with a mouth full of deliciousness.
    “To which of course I insisted that I help her prepare for dinner tonight, since she insisted earlier that she help me with Christmas dinner.” She grinned, clearly loving the relationship she had with her new best friend. It was really cute.
    “Ok,” I said again, only this time I had swallowed. My eyes pleasurably rolled into my head as the flavor made my taste buds dance. “Mmm, gosh this is so good! I’ve missed it.”

52543222438_165a3a1fdf_c.jpg

“I knew that would get you out of bed.” She flashed me a smirk.
    “Actually, it was the coffee that did it.” I chuckled, to which she playfully gasped at.
    “I’m offended!” she teased. “You’ve been living in New York City for too long…”
    I shook my head with a smile.

“Well hurry and get dressed,” my mom pressed, while drying her hands on the kitchen towel. “We have a big day ahead of us.”
    “Oh?”
    “Yes. Mami and Hoshi’s children are arriving this morning and when they are all ready, we’ll be heading over to meet them and then help with dinner.”
    Wha–? I thought with a halt. Does she mean like ALL day at the neighbors house? On Christmas Eve? But what if I don’t–
    “We’re just so anxious for you to meet them, Malai.” She widely grinned.

52543221823_3a9120e2b0_c.jpg

“And they’re anxious to meet you,” my dad chimed in from the couch. “Hoshi and Mami I mean. I can’t speak for their kids, but,” he returned his gaze to the newspaper, “surely they’ll think quite highly of you.”

52542675476_b306e5f668_c.jpg

For a moment I didn’t really know what to say. “Uh…Ok." I blinked. "I’ll just…go get ready then.” But not before washing my plate and fork and setting them in the dish drying rack. And I totally needed to shower first.

52542970829_510131586f_c.jpg

I wasn’t exactly sure how I felt about spending most of Christmas with the neighbors (I mean they were simply joining us for Christmas dinner from what I understood!) but…at least I wouldn’t be getting an extra concentrated dose of “when are you going to finally find a man, get married, and have children already” from my parents at the dinner table; being the only one to come home for Christmas and all. I was honestly experiencing some crazy distress over facing that scenario so…I should be thanking the new neighbors for sparing me from that, if anything.

This sure was a different way to spend Christmas for us. But there’s nothing wrong with different. It can be a welcoming change sometimes. And I was soon to learn just that.

❄❄❄

It was a hair after 10:30 when the three of us approached the Yamamoto’s front door. I might’ve glanced down at my watch to see how long it would be until dinner. I sighed. Apparently the Yamamoto’s would be hosting us for lunch as well…I wasn’t sure what to expect this Christmas anymore.

My mom’s new best friend opened the door and greeted her with a giant smile and tight hug, as if they hadn’t seen each other in years. It was so beautiful. Then she turned to my father and gave him a bow, as well as to me. “Welcome Reatazas,” she said, then beckoned with her hand, “please please come in!” It was a bit chilly out, especially with the light breeze going on.

As we stepped into the foyer and hung up our coats and removed our shoes, I half expected to see Japanese decor and furniture all around us, but no. It was a normal, simple, and humble setting. Much like a cozy foyer scene in CM magazine.

52542674996_15b556e78c_c.jpg

My parents placed their hands on my shoulders as my mother said, “Mami, we are so pleased to introduce our youngest daughter, Malai.”
    I shyly smiled.
    Mami immediately took my hand into hers and said in the sweetest, most soft spoken way, “It is such a pleasure to meet you Malai. You are every bit as pretty as your mother described.” I might’ve blushed, but mostly out of dismissiveness. “I’ve heard so many lovely things about you.”
    “That’s good to know,” I joked, smiling again.

52542674866_1f63431981_c.jpg

Mami chuckled, just as lightly as the tone of her voice. My first impression of her was nothing but a kind soul with a sincere heart. A beautiful woman inside and out - who aged well I might add, as most of us Asian ladies do - with long, straight, jet black hair, partially pulled back with thin bangs flowing down the sides of her fair face, framing it. She was simply…lovely. Just like my mom.

52542970299_5a4a45a5b6_c.jpg

“Hoshi and our children are waiting in the living room. Come.” She beckoned again. It was a short distance to the room, just past the stairway and through the arch to the left. The arch to the right led into the kitchen.

When the four of us entered the living room, the others stood from their seats in unison to greet us. The Patriarch of the family promptly stepped forward and warmly greeted my father with a handshake and then my mother. His gaze then rested upon me with a welcoming smile, surrounded by light wrinkles. Age marks aside, he was an attractive older man.

52542213562_56a06a6a41_c.jpg

Mami introduced me this time. “Hoshi, this is Sergio and Nin’s beautiful daughter, Malai.”
    My heart was pounding as he took my hand in the same way his wife did. “Welcome to our home Malai. It is a pleasure to finally meet you.”
    “The pleasure is all mine Mr. Yamamoto.”
    He slightly bowed his head in appreciation and then outstretched his arm to the side. “Allow me to introduce our sons…”

Sons?

With Mr. Yamamoto fully out of the way, my eyes met with three adult men, not too far apart in age, standing side by side, and they were utterly…GORGEOUS! Oh my! I lost a breath.

52542970089_140bbe7167_c.jpg

My eyeballs practically popped out of my eyes and my heart skipped a beat in those few fleeting seconds of staring. I think my jaw dropped further than I had intended it to as well. And they seemed just as equally surprised to see me.

52542674431_6119799a20_c.jpg

Timidly smitten, I inched forward while Mr. Yamamoto continued with the introductions.

“This is our oldest son, Aizen…”

Aizen gave me a firm handshake with a slight nod, giving off a hint of a smile. He was a tanned, well built, muscular man, with a mysterious aura about him. His black hair was long - barely touching the base of his neck, mostly parted to one side, with bangs partially shading his equally dark eyes. The beard he wore complimented and adorned his finely defined jawline.

52542213107_bda5b0f8f2_c.jpg

He appeared to be single; in his older age. Because no woman stood beside him or anywhere around him. Interesting.
    I smiled and continued on to the next brother.

“...our middle child, Kai…”

Kai took my hand wearing a much brighter, closed mouth smile, but not with as firm of a handshake as his older brother. No biggie. There was a hint of emerald color in his eyes behind his thin framed glasses. He must wear colored contacts, I thought; obviously not for the benefit of his vision. His dark hair was short and slicked upward. Almost that dove-tailed style, but much better looking and sexier. The stubble on his face added even more to his sex appeal.

52543157040_14a50c862f_c.jpg

I don’t know why I flash-glanced down at his other hand to check for a ring, but…he seemed to be single as well. Wow.
    I smiled at him in return with unabashedly blushed cheeks just before moving on to the final brother.

52542673776_65fa6aa3db_c.jpg

“...and our youngest son, Ryu.”

“How you doin’?” Ryu surprisingly greeted me in the manner of Joey from F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

52543219673_0c841a675a_c.jpg

My smile practically exploded. I couldn’t help noticing Aizen shake his head out of the corner of my eye and Kai lowering his while holding back a chuckle.
    “Good,” I coyly answered.

52543219473_d48f3c2f1b_c.jpg

My first thought about Ryu was that he looks just like Jungkook from BTS! (Ok, yes, I listen to K-Pop occasionally…) Mostly because his hairstyle looked exactly the same, subtle brown highlights and all. I don’t know if that was intentional or…I quickly dismissed the thought. He was definitely an attractive young man, thin, just as fair skinned as his mother, and full of spirit, spu'nk, and wits. Clearly unashamed and unafraid of projecting himself to the world, and that spoke volumes to me. Normally I don’t swoon over a guy who is obviously younger than myself, but maybe it was because he looked so much like Jungkook. I might’ve given him a giddy handshake while trying to hide my inner 19 year old fangirl as I moved on to the next person.

A much shorter person this time, and female; probably 9 or 10 years old. It was apparent that she had been sitting in the bean bag chair, away from the boring adults, playing the Nintendo Switch before standing up to greet us.

“And this is our granddaughter, Amaya,” Hoshi concluded.

Amaya very cutely held her hand out to me with big, sparkling green eyes. Her wavy black tresses flowed down just past her shoulders and she had the most beautiful cocoa colored skin I had ever seen.
    “It’s very nice to meet you Amaya,” I said while shaking her little hand. “I’m Malai.”
    “Wow,” the little girl whispered to me in awe, her eyes growing wider. “You’re so pretty!”

52542968794_2dec413288_c.jpg

“Amaya…,” Aizen voiced in a light, somewhat scolding tone, which confirmed to me that he was the one out of the three that was her father.
    Little did I know that Kai was thinking, You could say that again… as he gave me a smile of adoration.
    “Thank you,” I expressed to Amaya, holding a hand to my touched heart. “You are too.”
    The little girl blushed with shyness.

My parents and I sat down in the chairs provided for us, beside the crackling fireplace, and in no time at all we were all chatting, nodding, and chuckling, while getting to know each other better. Japanese Christmas music played lightly in the background and in some moments I found myself being consumed by its melodious tunes. At one point, Mami excused herself to the kitchen and soon my mother followed after her. In what seemed like five seconds, she and Mami returned with chicken salad croissant sandwiches with a side of raw veggies on a plate for each of us. Along with a bottle of our choice of strawberry or melon - Christmas colors, hee hee - Ramune soda! Yum! These soda bottles are the coolest things! Inside the glass spout is a marble, which helps to seal the bottle and keep the fizz inside, and you’re able to drink through it! I mean, I always thought it was cool. No other drink bottle is like it anywhere to my knowledge. Anyway, that was lunch. I couldn’t believe two hours had already passed!

I very much enjoyed getting to know each brother, and intently listened whenever one of them spoke while secretly ogling at them. It couldn’t be helped.

52542211557_ecdb6d6ce9_c.jpg

I still couldn’t believe how handsome they were; some of the hottest guys I’ve ever met in my life, next to Landon. And I also couldn’t believe that I was going to be spending Christmas - even Christmas EVE - dinner with this kind of eye candy displayed all around me! I began to wonder what I ever did to deserve such a gift… (I know, I'm being silly.)

Aizen was quiet and very reserved in his speaking, which didn’t happen much, only when he was addressed to. And he never instigated any conversation, though he’d gladly chime in if one of his brothers was telling a story and he was involved in it; mostly for clarification purposes.

52543218843_6754e36d9c_c.jpg

I could tell Aizen was a very private man, yet loyal, with a little bit of a gruff attitude. One that didn’t easily trust others. Perhaps due to his reasons for being a single father. I get it. It’s a hard and cruel world we live in now. All of us have our own ways of protecting ourselves from further heartache and/or disappointment. The mystery surrounding him though, I must admit, was quite alluring. I did learn that he builds homes for a living, which explains his muscular physique.

Kai was totally sweet in his demeanor and when he spoke. Instantly personable and sociable; a good listener too.

52543155930_a5411f62a7_c.jpg

Which is why when he revealed that he majored in Psychology it came as no surprise to me. For the past two years he’d been working at a counseling center as one of the head therapists and most of his clients were children. “They are my favorite clients,” he said with such sincerity. It touched my heart deeply and honestly, it was quite the turn on. How he wasn’t in a relationship already was beyond me. I dunno, but I felt like he was giving me the same ogling looks and attentiveness in return when I was talking. I hoped I wasn’t blushing too much.

Ryu was hilarious! Constantly talking and chiming in when others were, making silly comments and cracking jokes; definitely an expert at sarcasm.

52542672271_945b462541_c.jpg

It wouldn’t surprise me if he had been voted the “class clown” - or possibly the “biggest flirt” - in high school either. He had me smiling and laughing more than I had in a long time (I think my 19 year old BTS fangirl was still present) and it was quite…refreshing. Something I really needed, interestingly enough. He was still in college, just getting some general studies under his belt while still figuring out his path in life. But man how I love his zest for life. It was so inspiring and encouraging.

52543218058_4f5cf455b0_c.jpg

Amaya kept anxiously asking me a bazillion questions in between discussions which I thought was adorable, with a few more light interjections from her father.

52542671911_46c47a5407_c.jpg

I wasn’t sure why Aizen kept doing that - as if she was annoying me or something. Hardly! It’s been so long since I’ve been around, or even conversed, with a child that it was quite the welcoming change to me. I think the poor girl was just longing to talk to, and be around, another girl besides grandma. Which produced a sting in my heart at the possibility that her mother wasn’t around much, or...deceased. My curiosity there further heightened. I know it might sound bad, but I was greatly hoping it was the latter because…what kind of woman would ignore or walk out on her own child? Let alone one as lovely as Amaya? But I shook my head and reminded myself not to make assumptions or judge when I don’t know the situation.

Mr. and Mrs. Yamamoto were so much like my parents it was crazy! (And they had very similar life experiences.) No wonder the four got along so well and became fast friends.

52542210467_9211f66c57_c.jpg

Next thing I knew, mom and Mami disappeared again into the kitchen - most likely to start preparing dinner - and that’s when Ryu suggested we play a board game or two. Dad didn’t care much for board games so he kindly excused himself to help the women in the kitchen. Amaya jumped up and down while chirping, “Life, Life, Life! Pleeeeease can we play Life?”

52543154245_0209ce39f3_c.jpg

That was one of my favorite board games too. “I second that,” I said with a raised finger, shooting a wink at Amaya.
    Aizen simply shrugged his approval and Kai spoke for them both. “Alright munchkin.” I thought it was so cute that he called her that. “But sometime afterward I want an ‘Uno’ rematch with you.” He winked.
    His niece giggled while saying, “Ok.”

“I vote we play ‘Mad Gab’ after Life!” Ryu chimed in.
    “Ooh, I forgot about that game!” I expressed.
    “I’ll pass on that one…,” Aizen frankly said, while picking at a snagged thread on his jeans.
    Did he have to be so ill-tempered? I thought. It’s Christmas for crying out loud!
    “As long as we play at least one round of ‘Boggle,’” Hoshi suggested with a smile. “That one is my favorite.”

I was able to give Aizen a little grace from my previous thought as I watched him sweetly interact with Amaya during the game of Life.

52542407167_6e41649877_c.jpg

Near the end, he tickled his daughter silly while making playful grumbling noises in her ear as her car full of kids barely put her ahead of him in the final tallies, winning the game.
    “You little stinker!”
    “I’m not a stinker, I’m a winner! Ahh! Quit tickling me!”
    It was adorable and I was happy to see the person inside come outside of his tough outer shell.

I wasn’t sure what exactly was cooking in the kitchen, but boy could I smell it. And oh how delicious it smelled. It made my tummy rumble a little and my mouth salivated. There was a hint of a fir tree scent mixed in with it. I didn’t know if someone lit a candle or if it was just my imagination with all the festive decorations surrounding me. It was a beautiful mix of Japanese and American style decor.

Playing Mad Gab was a hoot! Ryu and I playfully slapped at each other many times amidst our roaring laughter.

52542209727_81d3260f75_c.jpg

There was one point where my hand and Kai’s touched for a brief moment while picking up a new card, creating blushed glances. (I thought I could see Hoshi smirking through the corner of my eye).

52542670751_6241a13894_c.jpg

Aizen was really missing out. I think he got up to use the bathroom and then returned to the couch doing something on his phone that captured his interest much more. To each their own. Amaya’s giggles in the background were contagious.

It was during our second round of Boggle that I took notice of the setting sun’s rays peeking through the frosted window. It’s sunset already!? I exclaimed in my mind, glancing at my watch. 5:26. Wow. What a day! I couldn’t remember the last time a day went by so fast. I had SO much fun! Surprisingly enough, Landon was right…

I had to call him later and tell him all about it!

Next thing I knew Christmas Eve dinner was ready. But before that, we cleaned up the games and moved some of the furniture out of the way so that my dad and Hoshi (Aizen and Kai joined in eventually) could set up the big folding table and chairs. The Yamamoto’s kitchen was too small to hold us all and they didn’t have a proper dining room. Didn’t bother any of us in the least. I helped set the table along with Ryu and Amaya.
    “Do you wanna help me pick out the decorations for the table, Malai?” the sweet girl asked.
    “I’d love to!”

52543216528_3a510baf9b_c.jpg

That was when Ryu’s cell phone rang. The ringtone was a bit from “Party Rock Anthem.” There’s a song I haven’t heard in a few years, I thought, the corners of my mouth turning up. Of course that song would be his ringtone. It was very fitting to his personality and apparent lifestyle. He kindly excused himself and answered the call in the other room.

When dinner was ready and we all sat ourselves down at the table, one person was still missing.

“RYU!” Hoshi called in a very commanding voice. “DINNER!” Then he turned his gaze toward me and my parents. “My apologies…”
    We kindly dismissed it.

52543153350_6b70641ebe_c.jpg

“Sorry, sorry, so sorry!” Ryu babbled, entering the room while tucking his phone away and skittering around the table towards his seat. “That was Tara; I had to answer it.” He plopped his bottom down on the chair and pulled it forward.
    Tara? I thought with curiosity.

“Oh how nice,” Mami chimed. “What did she have to say?”
    “Her boss made her work today so she said she’ll get here as quickly as she can tomorrow.”
    “Wonderful!”
    “It will be very nice to meet her,” Hoshi added.
    Then Ryu gave my mom a timid glance. “You, uh, don’t mind if one more person joins us for Christmas dinner do you Mrs. Reataza?”

52542208927_1bc6645c79_c.jpg

“Not at all,” my mother assured with a dismissive wave. “The more the merrier.” She was too sweet.
    “Thanks!”

I couldn’t help asking.

“So…who’s Tara again?”

All eyes darted towards Ryu, particularly his brothers with intentionally raised eyebrows.

“My girlfriend,” he promptly answered to the group, but then turned his gaze towards me with a nervous look in his eye. “Did I not mention her?”
    No…, Kai lipped next to him, holding the “o” shape of his mouth.
    Aizen shook his lowered head, but raised it with a hand gripping his lips. I think to hide a grin or stifle a chuckle.
    My eyes must’ve answered Ryu within the sudden air of awkwardness between us.

“Sorry. I could’ve sworn I mentioned her…,” he concluded.

52542669826_cc4d953721_c.jpg

“...No worries,” I quickly remedied with a smile. “I think it’s great that she’ll be joining us tomorrow. I look forward to meeting her too.” And I meant it.

52542669571_d1d4a6a7c5_c.jpg

That seemed to satisfy everyone.

As we all lowered our heads to give thanks for the meal and the season, I slowly released a sigh.

52542208142_890f2e5ec3_c.jpg

There I was being all giddy and flirting around with Ryu during the games - with his dad and brothers watching - while he casually flirted back, clearly under the impression that I knew he was a taken guy.

I kind of felt like a fool, but it was ok. Not my fault. It’s all good, Malai.

I was just ready to eat!

❄❄❄

A/N: Forgive the Monopoly game at the table instead of the game of Life, it was all I had to work with. I could've changed it to Monopoly in the story, but I think most people - and kids - prefer Life better. ;) The money looks the same though... :lol:
    Did y'all like the item I used to represent the Mad Gab box? :joy:

The pronunciations for the brother's names (especially for Aizen) are as follows:

Aizen: [eye-zen]
    Kai: [kai :lol: ]
    Ryu: [ree-oo]

I will be sharing a couple of outtakes from this chapter later. 👍🏻

Hope you enjoyed! Especially in getting to see the "three kings." :smirk:<3

***Chapter 3 will be posted December 7th***
    Ahh, the three kings are the sons of the neighbors. :) Nice play on words.

I love the expressions you captured on their faces. Nice details and touches there. :mrgreen:

I can't wait to learn more of their backstory, but as Malai said, its not nice to pry. Now which one is she going to end up with?

• Silverofdreams30Silverofdreams30 Posts: 7,200 Member
    @emorrill

I read this before heading out for the day and that breakfast made
    me hungry even if I already had breakfast. :D
    The sons are all handsome, the granddaughter is adorable, and it's nice how
    they played a game together.
    I think the youngest son might be my favorite, he's a cutie but the other two are handsome as well.

It was lovely to read more of this wonderful story.
    edited December 2022
    @emorrill

Pretty snowy picture of the house.
    Yummy, that kind of breakfast would get me out of the bed too :yum: !
    So mom is anxious for Malai to meet the neighbors' kids... Now I'm sure at least one of them is a single guy that she thinks Malai will like :mrgreen: .
    Sons! There we go ;). The three kings have arrived I guess.
    Now that's a good-looking bunch! How is she supposed to be able to choose just one of them?! Just kidding. I think I already know Aizen is my favorite, but we'll see who Malai likes ;) .
    Amaya is a very pretty girl. I wonder where her mom is or what happened to her...
    Looks like the day hasn't felt nearly as long as Malai thought it would be when they first arrived. Nice to see them having such a great time together.
    So Ryu has a girlfriend then... I guess that drops one option out of the three. Poor Malai, she couldn't have known he was taken. She has no reason to feel like a fool.
    @KevinL5275
    Ahh, the three kings are the sons of the neighbors. :) Nice play on words.
    ^Yeppers. :blush:
    Thank you, thank you. 💜
    Now which one is she going to end up with?
    ^That is the question. :smirk: But I think we can rule one out. :lol:

@Silverofdreams30 Hee hee, I got hungry writing about that quiche as well. ;)
    I'm glad you think the "kings" are handsome. :blush: And that Ryu is your favorite. <3
    Thank you. :kissing_heart:

@meerkattime I get the biggest grin on my face whenever I read your comments. :mrgreen: And I love how perceptive you are. :blush:
    Sons! There we go ;). The three kings have arrived I guess.
    ^Hee hee! Yep! :grin:
    Now that's a good-looking bunch! How is she supposed to be able to choose just one of them?! Just kidding.
    ^Right!? I tell ya my jaw would've inadvertently fallen just as far as hers had! :p:love:
    Aizen is :love: but Kai is also. <3 Ryu is a cutie, but he's too young for us seasoned gals. :lol:
    Amaya is a very pretty girl. I wonder where her mom is or what happened to her...
    ^We shall see... :smirk:
    Yep Malai was thinking it was going to be a somewhat boring day with these neighbors she's not familiar with and it turns out the hottie sons made all the difference! :lol:
    I love how sympathetic you are towards Malai. <3 And the fault seems to be on Ryu's part for forgetting to mentioning his girlfriend. Perhaps he was a little too distracted by Malai's beauty. :smirk:
    Thanks for the comments and I look forward to sharing more with y'all. :blush: There's gonna be some more twists and a little drama (serious moments) that are going to make the story much more interesting as it goes on. ;):p
    edited December 2022
    ^That is the question. :smirk: But I think we can rule one out. :lol:

We can't rule any of them out, knowing your love of throwing twists and turns at us. :)

Is it just me or does Amaya have darker skin than her father? That's one clue as to her mother. You may or may not get into that backstory, if it doesn't pertain to now.

• bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

@emorrill I am so loving this story. You know me...hopeless romantic and I love a love story. :heart: I've been looking forward to this for such a long time and it sure does help following everyone else's stories since I can't play right now and I've been really cranky about it. I do appreciate your putting up with my crankiness about this silly, lovable game. I miss it! Stupid computer!
    My work computer must stay a work computer since I definitely don't have back up and can't afford to even buy a cheap one or find out what exactly is wrong with my game computer.

Malai is such a pretty girl. You and @CravenLestat did a great job on her. I'm loving her personality. So bubbly!

Yes, Landon is a cutie too and I sure hope he finds true love as well.

ok...the Kings! :love: Aizen is a total hottie to me! Love his rugged good looks. I'm not sure if she is very impressed with his personality but it is early days yet.

Kai...love that name! haha, wonder why? :grin: He is very good looking and seems like he has a great sense of humor. Love that in a guy.

hmm, Ryu. Totally too young even if he is a cutie. I don't blame her a bit for flirting with him and having fun. The flirting couldn't have been to risque since the entire family was present and there is no reason for her to feel bad. Silly girl!

Amaya is adorable! I'm looking forward to hearing more of the story about her Dad as well as Kai. Hope neither one of them are hiding girlfriends or wives.

I'm looking forward to reading more. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
    @KevinL5275

We can't rule any of them out, knowing your love of throwing twists and turns at us. :)
    ^Hmm...I guess so. 🤔 :p
    Is it just me or does Amaya have darker skin than her father? That's one clue as to her mother. You may or may not get into that backstory, if it doesn't pertain to now.
    ^Very observant. :smirk: That is all I will say. :)

@bekkasan You're here! :smiley: A very nice surprise. ;)<3
    I am so loving this story. You know me...hopeless romantic and I love a love story. :heart: I've been looking forward to this for such a long time and it sure does help following everyone else's stories since I can't play right now and I've been really cranky about it. I do appreciate your putting up with my crankiness about this silly, lovable game. I miss it! Stupid computer!
    ^I'm so happy you're loving the story already. <3
    Aww...well you are handling it much better than I think I would be. :kissing_heart:
    Yep, Malai is definitely bubbly as well as feisty. :mrgreen:
    We'll see where Landon's love life goes...
    ok...the Kings! :love: Aizen is a total hottie to me! Love his rugged good looks.
    ^I knew it! I knew you would love Aizen's looks the most, I just knew it! :mrgreen: That's why I wanted to surprise revealing him to you. :blush:
    I'm not sure if she is very impressed with his personality but it is early days yet.
    ^Indeed. ;)
    Kai...love that name! haha, wonder why? :grin:
    ^Gee...I dunno. :smirk: It's almost like it was intuition or something. ;):p Kai is definitely a very good guy. <3
    Yep, Ryu is a bit young for us seasoned gals. :p I think Malai allowed too much of her teenage fangirl to come out while flirting with him so there was a lot of giddy laughing that everyone noticed and made them wonder a bit... that's why she felt like a fool and a little embarrassed when finding out he has a girlfriend. 🙃 (I know I personally would have... :grimace: ) I think that did happen with me and a guy once in college; I was flirting with him and giddy laughing, thinking he was way into me, and then not long after I found out he had a girlfriend. I kinda wondered why he was flirting with me back - or so it seemed. 🤷‍♀️
    As far has hiding girlfriends and wives, not so much. But it will be interesting to see if, or how much, Malai finds out about Aizen and Amaya's backstory... :smirk:
    I'm looking forward to reading more. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
    ^Hee hee. <3 December 7th. Just a day away. ;) I do plan to get it posted much sooner in the day on that day! 🤞🏻 I hate how busy it's been lately...this is why I start on the story in October and complete it before December. 👍🏻

I loved your comments so much and they filled me with much happy. :blush: Thank you. <3 I can't wait to reveal more!
    edited December 2022
    Chapter 3

52549237974_1e297b25f6_c.jpg

Christmas Eve dinner was divine! Mmm. The best fried chicken breasts I’ve ever had in my entire life! The breading was a secret blend of spices concocted by Mami’s mother and tried as we might to get Mami to divulge the ingredients, she wouldn’t utter a single one. It was cute the way she kept shaking her head with a knowing smile at our guesses. I kinda got the feeling she was gesturing “No” to all of them so that nothing would slip or look too obvious in her face expression. Kai claimed that he knew the secret recipe - but chose to keep quiet out of respect to his mom - and gave me a little smirk as he said it. I dunno if he was saying that to impress me or what, but I kinda liked it.

We had au gratin potatoes on the side, along with some kimchi (SO spicy, yet very flavorful) and sparkling cider.

Apparently eating fried chicken - particularly from KFC - at Christmastime is a huge tradition among the Japanese people since like the 1970’s, so the Yamamoto’s thought it would be fun to honor that for our Christmas Eve feast. I know what you’re thinking…because I was. A bucket of KFC for Christmas dinner? Really!? It had me in one heck of an amused awe, but it was fun discussing and learning all about how the tradition came to be. Hoshi was pretty learned on it and remembered the time when it started quite well.

Ryu and I interacted much more normally at the dinner table, like nothing happened, because really, nothing did. We just experienced a tiny little flirtatious misunderstanding. It happens. And honestly, it didn’t surprise me that he had a girlfriend. I was happy for him. It was more his lively personality that I was somewhat taken with for a bit there and he seemed to make me laugh unlike anyone else had in a long while. But really, he was too young for me.

Naturally Aizen was practically mute during any discussion, more focused on eating, but he would occasionally lean over to listen to Amaya whisper something into his ear. Oftentimes I would try to acknowledge the man with a smile, but he wouldn’t really smile at me in return.

52548948556_6ab7112942_c.jpg

What gives!? I thought in a tone of frustration. Was there something very wrong about me to him? It was driving me kinda bonkers! But I chose not to dwell on it too much because I’d seriously done nothing wrong.

Kai gave me many sweet, adoring glances throughout dinner. I might’ve been reflecting similar expressions back at him. He really is a handsome guy and such a kind and considerate person. (Same age as me too!) And his trim body was a nice plus. I was certainly flattered by the attention he was giving me. Any woman would be lucky to have him as her beau. My fluttering heart was honestly desiring to be that woman.

52549491728_697ffc569c_c.jpg

It was strange but…spending almost the entire day with the Yamamoto’s…they felt like family to me. As if we were that one big, happy - and seemingly perfect - family that’s in almost every Hallmark Christmas movie. And for the first time in my life, I began to realize that a family like that actually can exist. I mean, sure my own little family was wonderful, absolutely, but our unit felt nothing like this. A part of me wished my older brother and sister were here to relish in the beautiful feeling that I was feeling, and to complete the “family.”

For dessert, Mami brought out some brown sugar dusted, cream filled, mochi balls. Ooh, such little bites of heaven! Another Japanese treat.

After dinner I offered to help my mom and Mami with the dishes, while the men cleaned up the living room and put the furniture back in their rightful places.

As I was drying one of the larger pots and putting it away, I turned around to find that the person who had been standing next to me was no longer my mom. It was Kai. I won’t deny that my heart skipped a beat as our eyes met.

“Hey,” he softly addressed, thumbs in his pockets. “I came in here to see if you ladies needed some help, but,” he glanced around, “it looks like you’re all done.”
    “Yep,” I smiled, wiping my hands dry with the dishcloth and then setting it down on the counter.

52549422230_8a2d349607_c.jpg

His gaze, while alluring, seemed to be examining me. “So, you alright?” he tenderly asked.

Eh? I blinked for a moment. “Yeah. Why do you ask?”
    He inched closer as he answered, “It seemed like things got a little uncomfortable back there between you and Ryu…”
    Wow. He IS perceptive, I thought. As any great therapist would be. It added to his charm. I felt the blood draining from my face as I said, “Oh. Was is that obvious?”
    “To the others, I don’t think so,” he assured me. “I can just sense things,” he ended with a flirty wink.
    I nodded with a blushed smile.

52549422065_6cb46c842f_c.jpg

It seemed he could sense a little more from me too. “Sorry, I’m not trying to embarrass you…I just…wanted to make sure you were alright.”
    He was so sweet, and it made my heart swell. “Yes, I’m fine. Thank you.” Then I chuckled. “Apparently my inner fangirl was coming out more than I realized…He looks a lot like–”
    “Jungkook from BTS,” he finished for me.
    “YES!”
    He grinned. “Yeah he gets that a lot. They are one of his favorite K-Pop groups.”
    “I gathered,” I said with just as bright a grin as his.

For a few seconds we just stood there continuing to gaze and smile at each other, hearts fluttering.

52549491093_544665b645_c.jpg

“Kai? Malai?” Mami called as she entered the kitchen. “Come join us in the living room for Hoshi’s reading of ‘The Night Before Christmas.’”
    How lovely, I thought. Seriously…just like out of a Hallmark Christmas movie.

Kai offered me his arm. “Well, shall we?”
    I took it with a blushed smile, his touch sending tingling shockwaves throughout my body. “Yes.”

52549421580_b048f56132_c.jpg

❄❄❄

Oh my goodness…I could listen to Mr. Yamamoto’s voice reading a story anytime, anywhere. It was so eloquent and soothing, making everyone’s eyelids droop into a longing, peaceful winter’s slumber. The only light in the room came from the Christmas tree and the small lamp beside his reading chair. Adding to the ambience was the gently falling snowflakes outside the window. I thought for sure that Amaya would have been lulled to sleep by her grandfather’s voice, all curled up in his arms, but no, she stayed awake and attentive throughout the entire story.

52548487067_5799a40609_c.jpg

It was actually Ryu who ended up dozing off, but cried out, “I’m awake!” just as his father finished the story. It made everyone chuckle.

“Thank you for allowing us to host you on this Christmas Eve, Sergio, Nin, and Malai,” Hoshi concluded the evening with. Mami nodded beside him.

52549420915_f0874553f8_c.jpg

“Thank you for having us,” my mom kindly said.
    “Yes. Dinner was delicious,” my dad added, patting his plump stomach. I heard a tiny giggle come out of Amaya at the gesture.
    “Absolutely!” I concurred. “It was so much fun meeting all of you today...

52549420800_df96e315c4_c.jpg

...I had a lovely time and,” I might’ve thrown a glance over at Kai sitting right beside me, “I look forward to spending more time with you again tomorrow.” Oops. Did I say that in the singular sense? I meant plural. I really did, even if it meant being around grumpy Aizen again. I still wondered what on earth was up with that man.

“Malai! Before you go, will you please, please, pleeeease stay and watch me open my Christmas Eve gift?” Amaya begged, clasping her hands before her mouth.
    Now Aizen actually looked me in the eye, as if greatly curious to hear my response.

52549489748_0949c85b1b_c.jpg

My answer would’ve been the same no matter what look he gave me. “Of course! I wouldn’t want to miss it.” I smiled at her.
    His face relaxed a little.

Amaya then jumped for joy. “Yay! Thank you!”

52548945706_436564f281_c.jpg

“Now the question is Amaya dear,” her grandmother addressed, “which gift would you like to open?”
    “Umm…,” Amaya mumbled, getting down on her knees and crawling around the tree in her search. I guess they didn’t do new pajamas or winter attire on Christmas Eve the way my family always did. And I loved that they didn’t. “How about this one from you daddy?” she addressed, holding up a medium sized present.
    Aizen arched his head for a moment in thought. “No, not that one…How about that smaller one right by your leg?”
    Amaya’s head instantly dropped down - along with the medium sized present, it made me chuckle - as she picked up the smaller box and shook it for a moment. Aizen smiled and nodded at her to begin opening it.

Oh it was such an adorable sight to see; a young child ripping open a present with such anxious, unsuppressed excitement. For a moment I could see my young self in her. It really took me back.

A loud gasp rang through the air, along with a squeal. “You remembered!” she exclaimed to her dad as she lifted the gift out of the box for everyone to see.

I nearly gasped myself! It was a Tamagotchi! They still make those!? I thought, then held a hand to my heart. Oh how adorable! I remember playing with my older sister’s when I was like…four years old. I was trying so hard not to kill her precious virtual pet, because I knew she would kill me. However, despite my best efforts, I did, and she never let me play with it again. It was ok though because taking care of that silly thing made me feel more anxious than was normal at that age! I decided I didn't want one after all.

“Thank you!” Amaya cried, throwing her arms around her father’s neck and kissing him on the cheek. “I love you!”
    Aizen smiled brighter than I had seen all day and it was a very handsome smile, I must admit. One he should really show more often.

52549242234_68e7cce774_c.jpg

“You’re welcome baby girl,” he said in return, kissing her on the cheek as well. “Love you too.”
    Then Amaya turned to me and held up her pink, with cupcake sprinkles printed on it, Tamagotchi again with glee. “Look Malai! My very own virtual pet!”
    “I know! That’s fantastic! That pet is very lucky to have you as its owner,” I winked.
    She grinned.

Before my parents and I left for the evening, Mami and Hoshi presented my parents with a beautifully wrapped gift - which I thought was for all three of us - and of course my mother hugged them both in thanks.

52548485022_7d0ff51da0_c.jpg

Then Mami turned to me with a similarly wrapped gift that Hoshi had hidden behind his back and slipped to her to present to me. “And here’s a gift for you, dear Malai.”

52548484897_87588acf9a_c.jpg

My heart was deeply touched. “Oh, thank you. Both of you. You didn’t have to…”
    “It was our pleasure,” Mami continued with a light bow of her head. I bowed my head to her in the same manner and naturally my eyes wandered over to Kai. He gave off a similar expression to his mother’s, although it seemed as if he was longing to say something more to me in parting, but wasn’t able to.

52549418995_e3954c08f3_c.jpg

We held each other’s gazes for a moment, until I was startled by Amaya throwing her arms around my waist.
    “Bye Malai,” she sweetly said as she squeezed, then looked up at me. “It was so much fun having you here. I can’t wait to see you again tomorrow!”

52549418745_bc5271baed_c.jpg

Aww, I thought. She was truly adorable. I’d never had a child become so enamored with me before and…it felt kinda nice. Maybe she was feeling the same “family” vibe between all of us that I was and couldn’t contain her excitement about it. I almost stroked her hair, but instead patted her on the back. “I look forward to seeing you again too. Have a very Merry Christmas.”

52549487933_05697afe9e_c.jpg

Those were the two words we all wished to each other as my parents and I departed into the snowy outdoors. Thankfully it was just a few steps across the street to get back home.

Little did I know that there was some discussion amongst the three brothers in the foyer about me not long after we left…

❄❄❄

“So…Malai?” Kai started the conversation with, darting quick, inquiring glances between his two brothers.
    “She’s a knockout!” Ryu exclaimed. “Totally unexpected surprise seeing her walk in! Man if I wasn’t dating Tara…”

52549418525_408b52340f_c.jpg

Aizen shook his head with an eye-roll.
    “Great job informing her about that by the way,” Kai somewhat teased.
    “Sorry! I totally thought I mentioned her.”
    “You were just too busy gawking all over ‘the new girl’ to remember,” Aizen muttered with folded arms. “Some devoted boyfriend you are, Ryu…”

52549417970_ae4fc7c0be_c.jpg

“Oh c’mon Aizen, like I’m not allowed to notice when another girl is hot? It’s not like you didn’t do plenty of scoping out back in your day while dating other chicks…”

52549240229_19bcc84e78_c.jpg

The eldest shook his head again.
    “I didn’t do anything wrong!” Ryu continued with his hands spread apart. “I flirt without realizing it, ok. It’s my personality. It’s not like I kissed her or anything. I wouldn’t do that to Tara.”
    “Right,” Kai agreed, the therapist in him coming out to appease the two. “It’s ok to notice, but not act on it.”
    Ryu threw out a strong nod in Aizen’s direction, to which the eldest ignored.
    “Besides, she’s a little old for you isn’t she?” Kai added to Ryu.
    “Not when she’s that hot!” he responded with a grin.
    Kai shook his head with a smile and then turned to Aizen. “So what do you think of her?”

There came a quick, inexpressive shrug from the man. “She’s alright, I guess…”
    “Just ‘alright?’” Ryu asked with an incredulous gasp. “Are you blind Aizen!?”
    “No, he’s just guarded…,” Kai answered for him.
    “Well you guys would be too if every woman that comes into your life is immediately turned off by the fact that you have a ten year old daughter…,” Aizen basically revealed.

52548943666_01631cc22f_c.jpg

Ryu bobbed his head at that unfortunate truth.

“Speaking of Amaya, she seems to be quite taken with Malai…,” Kai carefully mentioned to Aizen.
    “Yeah…I noticed that…”
    “Aaaand…how do you feel about that?”
    “Look, don’t shrink me ok?”
    “I’m not! I’m genuinely–”
    “Amaya can like whoever she wants, alright. Doesn’t mean I have to,” Aizen quickly dismissed, looking away with a glare.

52549240014_eda97bfe1e_c.jpg

Now it was Ryu who shook his head with an eye-roll.

“Well, I think Malai’s great,” Kai declared, his mouth forming into a besotted smile. “She’s kind, strong, passionate and driven, and yes, very attractive,” he gestured in agreement towards Ryu. “I guess I,” he paused, staring at the front door with a fluttering heart, “felt there was a mutual attraction there and…I’d love to explore it. I mean, the fact that our parents love each other is a definite plus so there wouldn’t be any issues there. I’m thinking about asking her out on a date; after Christmas of course.”
    “Go for it!” Ryu encouraged with a hard pat on Kai’s shoulder.
    “If she’s still around…,” Aizen muttered.
    “Well I guess I’ll have to find out and see,” Kai acknowledged his older brother with excitement in his eyes and grin.

52549239784_692c0234f1_c.jpg

It was a plan!

❄❄❄

The dim light from the string of white Christmas lights draped over my headboard was all I had to see with while slipping into my new cozy, Christmas Eve flannel pajamas. I could’ve turned the bedroom light on, but I preferred just the tiny lights for tonight. It created that Christmas ambience that I always loved.

Phone in hand, I checked the battery percent, before calling Landon. I couldn’t wait to tell him all about the day!

My phone rang before I could even dial and I grinned brightly at who it was.

“Heeey,” I answered with. “I was just about to call you.”

52549486708_9f8476e0af_c.jpg

“You were huh?” Landon pleasantly asked.
    “Yes.” I grinned. “To tell you that you were right…”
    “Oh? I like being right.”

52548483037_12dfa366de_c.jpg

I chuckled, with a hint of a giggle.

“So what am I right about?”
    “That I would end up having a great time this Christmas with our guests, the neighbors. I already am.”
    “Awesome! That’s so great to hear, Mai. Cause I was just calling to see how everything is going over there and how you’re holding up.”
    “Oh my gosh Landon…I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m actually glad that I came home this Christmas.” I blissfully sighed while sitting down on my bed. “So get this: when I was going over to meet the neighbors I was totally expecting to meet the parents and some daughters and sons, right?”
    “Right.”
    “Well…they actually don’t have any daughters…only sons! Three of them. And they are freaking GORGEOUS!”

52549486273_86e2e5b599_c.jpg

“Really?”
    “Yeah! And SINGLE!”
    “Get out!”
    “Wait, no!” I squeezed my eyes shut in correction. “One is taken, the other two are single.” Geez!
    “Oh. Well hey, maybe you can take one and I’ll take the other.” I could practically feel his smirk behind the phone.

52549486368_f0f17a6baf_c.jpg

“I dunnooooo,” I trailed off, standing up again. “Neither of them are gay and even if they were, the one would be nice for you, the other…he’s a bit of a stiff!”
    Landon laughed. “And my guess is you aren’t too interested in the ‘stiff?’”
    “Not at all. But he sure has one sweet daughter though…”

52549485978_e139d6869c_c.jpg

“Oh yeah? How old is she?”
    “I’m not sure. Nine or ten I would guess.”
    “Cute. So…do you feel somewhat torn in that regard?” I could feel his smirk again.
    “No.” What exactly was he getting at? I quickly dismissed the thought. “I’m much too taken with her uncle,” I admitted through a smitten smile. “He’s a real sweetheart Landon; next to you. Let me tell you all about him.”
    “I’m listening.”

52548482027_8855cc47bf_c.jpg

Landon is always such an excellent listener. I’ve always confided in him about everything without any fear of whatever I say leaving his lips. It’s funny, but I was beginning to feel the same for Kai. And I’d only known him for one DAY!

“There was just this connection, you know?”
    “Oh yeah, I do,” Landon acknowledged, “and those are the connections you never wanna let slip past you. You should definitely ask him out, or at least ask for his number, so you two can keep in touch after Christmas.”
    I nodded my head with a smile. “Once again your thoughts are exactly the same as mine.” I could sense he was smiling too behind the phone.

“Well,” I sighed, then yawned, looking at the clock, “It’s late and time for me to turn in. I’m sure Santa has passed by our house a couple of times already because I’m still awake.”
    He laughed. “Well in that regard, I guess I should do the same. I’m really glad Christmas is going better for you this year, Mai. I’m relieved and so happy for you.”
    “Thanks Landon.” My heart swelled at his loving words. “Merry Christmas.”
    “Merry Christmas to you too. Love you.”
    “Love you too.”

As I sunk my head into my silky pillow, beneath the dim glow of the lights, I couldn’t wait for Christmas morning to come. Not so that I could anxiously rip open presents and see what I got, that was far from my mind actually.

52549238164_ba861a5b58_c.jpg

I couldn’t wait to see Kai again.

❄❄❄

:mrgreen:

*Sorry to make y'all wait a little longer for the next chapter, cause it's going to be a pretty busy weekend, so Chapter 4 will be here Sunday, Dec 11th! 🎄 Most likely in the late afternoon. Thanks for your patience. <3 *
  • Silverofdreams30Silverofdreams30 Posts: 7,200 Member
    @emorrill

So I read it today! :D:o

I enjoyed this part of the story, Amaya is such a sweet little girl,
    glad she was happy about that gift!
    It's interesting to learn more about everyone slowly, Kai seems like a sweetheart!

I do not usually have winter in my game so it's not often a Christmas setting, loved how
    you set up the Christmas decorations. I live with winter 6 months a year, so I prefer
    to use the none winter season in my game hehe.

Great job!
    @Silverofdreams30 YAY! :smiley:

Thanks for the sweet comments, glad you enjoyed it. <3
    I live with winter 6 months a year, so I prefer
    to use the none winter season in my game hehe.
    ^Yeah that makes sense. :lol:
    @emorrill

Looks like Malai will have to convince Kai to give her the secret recipe. I'm sure she'll find a way :p .
    It's nice to have someone around who can make you laugh :blush: . And I'm glad Malai got over her embarrasssement regarding Ryu.
    Aizen is absolutely hot but apparently not very easy to charm... It's not a bad thing about a guy if they are not too flirty with every stranger, but it's just impolite to not even return a friendly smile :| . I guess we will eventually learn why he behaves like that.
    Better for Malai to concentrate on Kai for a while I guess, since he is clearly interested ;) . Nothing wrong with a handsome, well-behaved
    therapist after all, hehe. Unless he starts analyzing you while you two are having an argument :grimace: .
    He offered her his arm?? Aww. This is starting to look almost like a date, but I guess he's just being a real gentleman :blush: .
    I love the frost in the window in the picture of Mr. Yamamoto reading. It brings very wintry atmosphere. I also love the idea of someone reading a story for all of them. It's been ages since I've been reading to somebody or somebody has been reading to me. It was fun.
    Hmm, Aizen seems so worried about how others get along and act with his daughter... But Amaya is adorable and really seems to like Malai.
    Well, Ruy is right: Malai is a knockout indeed!
    Aizen doesn't seem too impressed about Ryu's behaviour. I think he's got bad experiences with some lady from the past...
    I kinda like that b&w picture on Landon's wall although I wouldn't hang it on my wall :grin: .
    Looking forward to the next update on Sunday!
    Well looks like we now know which guy is leading the race. :)

Yes, I wonder what Aizen's problem is. Probably cautious because he has been burned by a woman before?

LOL at Landon offering to date the other single brother. :D
    @meerkattime
    Aizen is absolutely hot but apparently not very easy to charm... It's not a bad thing about a guy if they are not too flirty with every stranger, but it's just impolite to not even return a friendly smile :| . I guess we will eventually learn why he behaves like that.
    ^Agree <3 and agree. 👍🏻 But yes, more will definitely be revealed. :blush:
    Better for Malai to concentrate on Kai for a while I guess, since he is clearly interested ;) . Nothing wrong with a handsome, well-behaved therapist after all, hehe. Unless he starts analyzing you while you two are having an argument :grimace: .
    ^LOL! Right!? :lol: I've always wondered what it would be like to date - or be married to - a counselor, therapist, psychiatrist, etc. I would imagine it probably has some good benefits, especially when it comes to proper communication and learning empathy towards your partner. 👍🏻
    Yeah, Kai was just being a cute gentleman offering Malai his arm. :blush:<3
    I love the frost in the window in the picture of Mr. Yamamoto reading. It brings very wintry atmosphere
    ^Thank you. <3 It's been ages since I've been read to or listened to anyone reading as well. On Christmas Eve our family would always take turns reading the bible passages related to Jesus birth and sing applicable songs in between. Then my dad would share some personal thoughts with us afterward and then we would open a gift. I miss it. <3

Guess we'll see about Aizen later. :smirk: You are quite perceptive. :)
    I kinda like that b&w picture on Landon's wall although I wouldn't hang it on my wall :grin: .
    ^LOL! I totally did that for the readers benefit. :joy: To give them a chuckle... (And no I wouldn't hang up a picture like that either. Unless.....I was single or something and knew no one would be coming around my place. :lol::p )
    Thank you for the sweet comments. <3

@KevinL5275
    Well looks like we now know which guy is leading the race. :)
    ^Yup. :)
    Yes, I wonder what Aizen's problem is. Probably cautious because he has been burned by a woman before?
    ^Perhaps. ;)
    LOL at Landon offering to date the other single brother. :D
    ^Yeah I couldn't help throwing that in. :lol:

It sure would've been a twist if I had Landon hook up with one of the other brothers but...it just didn't feel right to do it for this story.
    I've always wondered what it would be like to date - or be married to - a counselor, therapist, psychiatrist, etc. I would imagine it probably has some good benefits, especially when it comes to proper communication and learning empathy towards your partne

I've been thinking about the same thing. I used to have a boyfriend who was studying that, and well, it wasn't great. But generally, I would think, that with that education they are more in touch with their inner world than an average guy.
    This is quite the eventful Chapter y'all and I'm so excited to share it with you. :mrgreen:<3 So get comfortable - with hot chocolate or coffee ;) - and enjoy. :kissing_heart:

Chapter 4

*Christmas Day*

52556793512_c80f908d30_c.jpg

It was a lovely Christmas morning opening presents with mom and dad. With classic Christmas tunes lightly playing in the background and the scent of my mother’s favorite candle encompassing the air. “Holiday Wreath” is its name. She’s been burning it every year at Christmastime for as long as I can remember. And how she’s managed to keep it aflame for so many years I’ll never know, but I love it. And all the Christmas morning memories that come flooding back when the scent enters my nostrils.

We obviously didn’t get up super early, but I could imagine that Amaya woke up the entire Yamamoto household before sunrise for sure. I was super curious what else she got for Christmas and thought, I'll definitely ask her about it at dinner.

The Yamamoto's gift to me was completely unexpected. I was imagining some kind of a cute knick-knack or piece of jewelry, but no…it was (I actually had to look it up to be sure) a Qipao! The Japanese version of a Chinese Cheongsam dress. And a rather fancy one at that! Made out of light blue silk taffeta with intricate designs weaved into it by silver thread. I was in awe! It was gorgeous and I wasn’t sure how exactly I was going to thank them for such a gift. I think I’ll wear it for dinner tonight, I thought with a smile. That’s how I would.

After a breakfast of bacon and egg fried rice, yum, I got myself ready for the day. I kept wondering if Kai was thinking about me as much as I was him as I dreamily combed through my hair before curling it. It’d been a long time since I felt this way about a guy I just met - and feeling this giddy about it too. I guess work really did keep me busier than I realized. Or maybe, the men from New York just weren’t my type...

The curling of my hair slowed as I thought about that for a moment, strangely beginning to question where I was at currently in my life and some of the choices I've made along the way. It produced some very unsettling feelings in my gut. “No,” I said aloud while shaking my head, pushing it all away, and continuing to curl. “You’ve worked very hard to get where you’re at Malai and life is great! New York is where you’re supposed to be. You know this! So there’s no need to worry–”

The doorbell rang.

“Malai would you get that please?” my mother called from her and dad’s bedroom.

I was more than happy to answer the door, so with a pep in my step I promptly exited the bathroom. My heart greatly hoped it was Kai, unable to wait any longer to see me as I was him. I quickly fluffed my hair before opening the door.

It wasn’t Kai…but I was pleasantly surprised to see Amaya all the same.

52556793362_f32e8c45d4_c.jpg

“Merry Christmas Malai!” she happily greeted, with her gloved hands outstretched and bouncing in her boots. Could she be any more adorable?
    Of course I gave her a quick hug. “Merry Christmas sweetie! Did you get everything you wanted this year?”
    “YES! It was the BEST!”
    “Wonderful!”
    “Did you?”
    “Yeah…I’d say so.” I was about to ask, does your dad know you’re here, but she anxiously went on to say:
    “Do you wanna come over and make Christmas cookies with me!? I always want to make them, but daddy never does,” she scowled. “He’s always ‘too busy.’”
    That honestly didn’t surprise me to hear.
    “And grandma can’t cause she’s gonna help your mom with dinner. So will you make them with me? Pleeeease? I want cookies SO bad!”

How could I resist that adorable little face with those longing eyes and toothy grin? I liked making cookies and it’s always fun to do with kids. Plus I’d hopefully get to see Kai before dinner. I wasn’t sure what kind of plans he had before then. I certainly didn’t have any, except helping mom and Mami prepare dinner, but I figured they were good without me. “Yeah, that sounds like fun,” I answered Amaya. “Do you want to make them now or–”
    “Yes! Now!”
    I chuckled. “Alrighty, just let me grab a coat real quick.”
    “Ok!”

The cold air outside bit down to the bone, even though the sun was out. With her hand in mine, Amaya and I raced to the front door of the Yamamoto home, dying for warmth, nearly bumping into Mami on her way out.

“Oh hello Malai,” the matriarch greeted me, pulling her coat tighter around herself. “Merry Christmas!”
    “Same to you Mrs. Yamamoto.”
    “Please, call me Mami. I’m just off to help your mother prepare for dinner.”
    “Ok. You two have fun!”
    “You two have fun as well,” she ended with a wink and raced across the road herself.
    My brow narrowed at the curious wink she gave me. Okaaay.
    “Come on inside Malai, it’s freezing!” Amaya screeched.

The little girl gleefully skipped into the kitchen after removing her coat, mittens, and boots in the foyer. I finished up doing the same.

In the kitchen, Amaya handed me her grandmother’s apron to wear while she put on hers as we decided on what kind of cookies to make. Sugar cookies, of course! I got out the ingredients for it while Amaya picked out the cookie cutters.
    “Oh! We can’t forget the sprinkles!” Amaya declared.
    “Definitely!" I agreed. "They’re a must!”

52557714425_bf552fcbd5_c.jpg

“Amaya?” I heard Aizen’s voice call, coming into the kitchen with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. “Do you know where the - geez!” he hissed at the sight of me, jerking back in surprise. “What are you doing here!?”

Does he have to be so rude? was my initial thought, but I immediately found myself unable to respond; so mesmerized by his incredibly sculpted, bare torso, with plump pecs and a six pack. Oh wow.

52557714295_3c2aede750_c.jpg

All I managed to get out was a jarring, “Uhhh…”
    “I invited her over to make cookies with me,” Amaya so graciously chimed in. “Because you never want to…”

52557786498_4453cec505_c.jpg

I raised an inquiring eyebrow at him.
    He wasn't very amused by it. “It’s not that I don’t want to Amaya…I just don’t usually have the time to.” He glanced at me again, seemingly nervous about his response in my presence.
    I could see Amaya’s frown out of the corner of my eye, like she’d heard that excuse one too many times before.

“Well…it’s Christmas day,” I softly, yet frankly said in Amaya’s defense. “So you should have plenty of time to spend with your family.”

Aizen’s unamused look at me turned into a glare and that’s when a nervous lump formed in my throat. Perhaps I had overstepped my bounds.

52556792627_ac7f318136_c.jpg

He rested his hands on his hips, breathing like an angry bull, and responded with, “Normally, but…there’s a leak in the hallway ceiling that needs repaired and patched up so that’s what I’m going to tackle today.”
    My eyes lowered in shame. “Oh…”
    Then, to add insult to injury, he threw out one of those smug, “take that” expressions before turning and exiting the kitchen.
    Geez..., I thought while squeezing my eyes shut in remorse.

“Oh yeeeah,” Amaya spoke, remembering. “I stepped on the wet part of the carpet when I woke up this morning. With my bare feet! It was COLD!”
    I expelled a breath, trying to suppress it from the sweet girl's ears. “Oooh, that’s no fun,” I said, turning around. “So do we have all the ingredients pulled together?”
    “Yep! Gotta start the oven first. I know how to do it.”
    “Ok...”

C’mon Malai, don’t let Aizen’s snarkiness ruin the fun, I told myself as I read the recipe card. Then again I was the one who had been snarky. Once again my feistiness - and snap judginess - got the better of me…

Will I ever learn?

52557713955_8bced88197_c.jpg

❄❄❄

“The cookies turned out perfect!” Amaya exclaimed, arranging them nicely on a tray. Of course we munched on a few while decorating. They were warm and soft and yummy.

52557542894_9c0f3f96d1_c.jpg

“Yeah,” I breathed, wiping a little sweat off my brow. It got hot in the kitchen fast! “I think I might need to take a breather outside before frosting the next batch.”
    “Ok. They’re almost ready.”
    I played to groan as I went to exit the kitchen, but was stopped in my tracks when I heard:

“Man it smells good in here,” from Kai as he entered the kitchen. “Oh. Hey,” he greeted me, his eyes lighting up.

“Hey,” I returned with a smile. My heart immediately fluttering.

His rosy cheeks definitely weren’t from the hot kitchen. “It’s nice to see you again so soon,” he said.
    “You too,” I whispered.

52557542564_aa97318a50_c.jpg

“Want a cookie uncle Kai?”
    “What!? A cookie?” he exclaimed to his niece. “You made cookies without ME!?” He proceeded to tickle her. It was cute.

52557713425_0ebe360476_c.jpg

Amaya giggled as he did so. “I wanted to ask you, but grandma said you were busy. So I asked Malai instead,” she said, gesturing her head towards me.
    “Well I think that was a great choice,” he acknowledged, giving me a flirtatious look again. He removed the Bluetooth earpiece from his ear and stuffed it into his pants pocket as he approached me.

“Busy making some calls?” I inquired.
    “Sorta,” he replied. “I’m off work until after New Years, but I’m on call in case of any mental health emergencies.”
    I nodded. “Well I hope whoever you talked to is going to be ok.”
    “They will be. No worries.” He smiled at my consideration.

52557542244_667c93924a_c.jpg

My non-stop blushing smile must’ve really made my red cheeks pop because the next thing he said was, “Your cheeks are as rosy as red Christmas bulbs." He smirked.
    “It’s warm in here,” I replied, wiping a little more sweat from my brow. “I was actually going to step outside for a bit to cool off.”
    “Good idea. Mind if I join you?”
    “Not at all.”

Gosh that biting cold felt nice for once! The two of us stood on the porch, without coats, hands on the railing, and gazed out at the ocean for a moment.

52557786838_48561fba17_c.jpg

One of Maplewood Falls beaches is right next door to my parents house. It was awesome having it so close when I was growing up. And I always loved the soothing sound of the waves lulling me to sleep every night.

“So where’s Ryu this morning?” I broke the silence by asking. “Back in bed?” I chuckled.
    “No,” Kai replied with a chuckle as well. “He actually went to the airport to go pick up Tara.”
    “Oh, right.”
    “Apparently her flight got delayed, so he’ll be hanging out there for another hour or so until she arrives.”
    “Bummer.”
    “Yeah. At least she’ll make it in time for dinner.”
    I nodded.

Kai then turned his head and studied my face for a moment. “Your cheeks are looking normal now; a beautiful pink,” he said with that handsome smile of his.
    “Thanks. Do I hear your teeth chattering a little bit?” I teased.
    “Nah,” he played along, folding his arms together. “I’m used to the cold. I live in Canada.”
    I chuckled. “Well even those of us who are used to it can’t handle these single digit temps for very long!”
    “True,” he chuckled as well. Then something caught his attention which made his brow furrow as he studied my face. “You have a little something by your lip there…”
    “Oh?” I asked, touching the wrong side of my mouth.
    “No, it’s on the other side.” He pointed with a grin. “I think it’s some frosting.”
    Frosting!? On my face! This WHOLE time!? Gosh I felt so embarrassed!

I promptly went to wipe it off when Kai softly said, “It’s ok…I got it,” while gently rubbing it away with his thumb. The light touch sent an immediate warming sensation throughout my entire body, making my heart skip a beat.

52557244966_9d6fcf87eb_c.jpg

Suddenly I didn’t feel cold anymore.

Gazing deeply into each other’s eyes, with steam emerging from our breaths, we were feeling the heat...and longed for more. Next thing I knew Kai tenderly stroked my cheek and gently lifted my chin. My breathing grew heavier, his too; our hearts beating rapidly in unison. It was unavoidable.

52557244856_c45f6c9e36_c.jpg

Our lips met. A light stroke at first, then soon a deeply pressed second. And a third, and a forth. Each kiss taking my breath away. Our arms gradually wrapped around each other. I don’t know how it happened so quickly, but I sure didn't mind it. My limbs started to go limp within his tender grasp.

52557244706_3c8e88fa6b_c.jpg

A sudden hammering from Aizen working on the leaky ceiling, startled us back into reality, which made us both laugh as we pressed our noses together.
    “Sorry,” Kai whispered, “I don’t usually kiss a girl so soon after the first meeting, but,” he gazed into my eyes again, “there’s just something about you Malai. This…connection.”
    “I feel it with you too Kai,” I revealed.
    “I’m glad to hear it,” he grinned. “I guess this is…Merry Christmas.”
    I laughed. “Merry Christmas.” I couldn’t believe our noses were still touching.

52557244576_6eb2d70239_c.jpg

“I want to get to know so much more about you,” he sincerely said. “Would you like to have dinner with me tomorrow night?”
    “Yes!” I instantly said, then in a calmer tone, “I mean, yes, I would love that.”

52557712565_acf40a9fbb_c.jpg

He grinned. “Great! I can’t wait.” Then he kissed me again. Oh my gosh what a good kisser he is!

52557244411_7863591a20_c.jpg

“MALAI! COOKIES ARE READY!” Amaya called from the kitchen.

I returned my gaze to Kai with a shrug as if to say, Well, I gotta run, even though I kinda wish I didn’t have to...
    He nodded, reading me perfectly. “Mind if I join you in the frosting of the cookies?”
    “I dunno, you might need to get the head chef’s permission first.” I winked.
    “Oh I won’t have a problem with that. I got her wrapped around my finger.” Which he twirled at me with a wink in return.
    I giggled.

Hand in hand we went back inside.

All I could think about while starting the frosting was, Did that REALLY just happen!? Landon was going to flip! Heck my PARENTS were going to flip!

❄❄❄

When we finished with the cookies we promptly washed ourselves up. Kai flicked some water at me to which I flicked a lot more at him in return.

“Thanks for making cookies with me Malai,” Amaya expressed while drying her hands. “Oh and you too uncle Kai.”
    “You’re welcome,” Kai and I both said at the same time. It made us blush.

Aizen then stepped into the kitchen, opened the fridge, and pulled out a Capri-Sun to chug. He was fully dressed this time, as I expected him to be. Though it didn’t stop my mind from producing the image of his beautifully ripped chest underneath that plain shirt. I tried to erase it from my mind.

52557541299_02e9a0a482_c.jpg

“How’s the leak repair going?” Kai asked him.
    Aizen breathed heavily as he lowered the bottle. “It’s alright. I’m gonna go up into the attic and check for any more possible leaks before I do the patch. That part of the pipe wasn’t properly insulated so it froze and burst at the coupling. I wouldn’t be surprised if all the insulation in this house wasn’t done right.”
    “Lovely.”
    “Yep. Id'iot contractors…” He drank some more.
    “Need some help?”
    “No, I got it.”

52557784383_b8f3fbd16b_c.jpg

“Want a cookie daddy?” Amaya asked, holding one out to him.
    “Sure,” he said while taking it from her. “Thanks baby girl.” Then he took a bite. “Oh…this is good.”
    “Hee hee. Thanks!”
    He raised the cookie with a nod and left the kitchen to get back to work.

52557541169_54b5feea1b_c.jpg

Amaya then turned to me and asked, “Hey Malai, you wanna see my bedroom?”
    Bedroom? I curiously thought while briefly glancing at Kai and then back at her. “Sure!” Guess it made sense that Mami would make up a separate bedroom for her granddaughter with all the guys around.
    “Sorry Uncle Kai, no boys are allowed,” she cutely informed.
    “Oh, right,” Kai tapped at his forehead, “I forgot.” Then smiled. I loved how he was with his niece. It made my heart fall for him all the more.
    “Follow me, Malai.”

As Amaya pulled me away by the arm, I turned my head and whispered to Kai, “See you in a little bit?”
    “I’m not going anywhere,” he smiled.

52557243976_a94177a4c6_c.jpg

Amaya’s room was upstairs and Aizen brushed past us on our way up to it. I purposely didn’t make eye contact with him. I still felt bad about earlier and wasn’t sure how I was going to remedy it just yet. Honestly, the man intimidated me a bit.

“Here’s my bedroom!” Amaya declared after pushing open the door and running in, outstretching her arms and twirling.
    It was the cutest little room, with a single draped dormer window as the focal point. The roof slanted downwards on both sides of the room and dark wood planks adorned the ceiling. The walls were decorated with dated, flowery wallpaper. There was just enough room for a single bed, dresser, toy box, and a chair for putting on shoes.

52556790607_6f4783e8e5_c.jpg

“It’s lovely,” I told her.
    “Thanks,” she said as she sat herself down in the chair.

As I continued to admire the room I realized, this wasn’t a “done up” room for temporary Holiday guests…this was actually Amaya’s bedroom. You could tell it had been lived in for years with the dust on the dresser and windowsill. No way Mami would forget to dust the room in preparation for guests, even family guests.

52556790342_633a5bbdc2_c.jpg

Amaya and Aizen were living with his parents.

I don’t know how that wasn’t mentioned yesterday somewhere in our many conversations - or that my parents didn’t mention it before. Probably because they figure Aizen isn’t very proud of the situation, and I can’t say I blame him. The mystery surrounding that man suddenly developed into even more of a mystery.

I wasn’t meaning to use sweet Amaya to gather more information, but…

“How long has this been your bedroom?” I asked her.
    “Since we moved here,” the girl answered, swinging her legs. “Daddy and I have always lived with grandma and grandpa…”
    Always?
    “...ever since my mom died.”
    Ohhhh… Now it all made sense. My face fell. “I’m so sorry to hear that Amaya.”
    “It’s ok,” she surprisingly brushed off quickly. “I don’t remember her since I was a baby when she died.”
    “Oh.”

52557783753_53068d30be_c.jpg

No wonder Aizen is so grumpy and reserved, I thought, he was dealt a pretty hard hand in life. One of the worst… My shoulders slumped with a sigh. I didn’t know what else to say, or think.

All I knew was, my impression of the man - and my perspective - greatly changed in that moment. I was glad I asked Amaya about it, and that she was comfortable in sharing it with me.

“Do you have a picture of you mom?” I asked, curious what she looked like.
    “Yeah,” Amaya answered, slipping off the chair and going to her dresser. She opened the top drawer and pulled out a crinkled physical picture and handed it to me. “Her name was Keisha.”
    “That’s a pretty name, like yours,” I said as I studied the woman in the picture.

She was of African American decent, as I suspected, with beautifully frizzy dark hair with brown highlights, pulled away from her face by a denim headband. She wore no makeup and had a single stud nose ring on the left side of her nose. She was in a hospital gown, in a hospital bed, holding her - and Aizen’s - new baby girl with a weary smile on her face. “She’s beautiful,” I said, lowering the picture. “I can see her in you.”

52557711315_0001440253_c.jpg

“Really?” Amaya asked with the brightest smile, taking the picture back.
    “Definitely!” What, has your dad never told you that? I almost asked, but of course I held it back. Maybe anything related to her mother was too hard to talk about. Completely understandable.

“Thanks Malai,” Amaya said while setting the picture down on the dresser. “I keep hoping that someday I’ll get a new mommy.”

I smiled warmly. “Yeah. I hope you do too…”

Amaya sure deserved a mother…

The best the world could offer.

❄❄❄

After visiting in the bedroom, Amaya and I went back downstairs and joined Kai and Mr. Yamamoto in watching Elf. People think I’m crazy for not being the biggest fan of that movie, but I’ll admit it’s nicer to watch with a child that’s getting a kick out of it. Amaya’s laughs were so contagious! Kai and I sat somewhat close on the sofa, but didn’t hold hands or cuddle. We weren’t ready to make anything known yet and really, it was too soon.

52557711250_e75b116ebc_c.jpg

After the movie the four of us played Skip-Bo and had a lot of fun. Honestly, I was ready for a Christmas day nap by the time the game ended. (Mr. Yamamoto promptly went back to his lounge chair and did just that!) I also developed a headache, no thanks to all the noise Aizen was making while patching the ceiling along with all the voices. I just wasn’t used to it. Kai noticed me rubbing my temples and kindly got me some Tylenol. Even though Ibuprofen works better for me, I appreciated the thoughtful gesture. He actually got another work related call and excused himself as he retreated to the den to take it. Amaya then climbed into her grandpa’s lap and rested her head against his chest, taking a nap herself. I smiled at the adorable scene.

Just then I realized that all the ceiling repair noises had stopped. For a few minutes actually. Had Aizen finished already? If so, that was fast!

Maybe now was a good time to approach him…

I slowly and carefully stepped into the hallway with my hands clasped tightly behind my back. I could feel my heart racing. It’s never been easy for me to swallow my own pride. I just wanted to stop feeling so nervous and uncomfortable around him. It was wrecking the joy I was having with all of his other family members.

“Hey,” I timidly greeted him with a smile.

He looked down at me in acknowledgement from the ladder, staring for a couple of seconds, and then continued to finalize the job. I’ll take it, was my thought.

I then glanced up at the ceiling. “Wow. That looks really good.”
    “It’s what I do,” he simply said.

52557540099_da8146a994_c.jpg

Now I could feel my rapid pulse beating through my temples, especially when he came down from the ladder. I couldn’t hold it back any longer. “Listen, uh,” I began, inching closer to him. “I wanted to apologize about what I said earlier. I really didn’t mean to–”
    “I know,” he interjected, finally making eye contact with me. “How were you supposed to know about the leaky ceiling?” He slipped the last tool he was using into his tool belt. “You made a fair point otherwise so…don’t worry about it.” He looked away.

52557783108_042250ab26_c.jpg

Well that was a surprising response; still very dismissive though. I would’ve preferred an “I appreciate that,” or something, but whatever. “Ok,” I lightly accepted.

The feeling in the air still needed to change, pronto. It was wracking my nerves. “Amaya’s a really sweet girl."
    “Thanks.”
    “I enjoyed making cookies with her this morning.”

52557242851_928e25419d_c.jpg

“Yeah, about that,” he started in his normal, serious tone while pressing his shoulder against the wall. My stomach clenched. “I appreciate you being so kind to Amaya, but,” he briefly paused, “I don’t need you giving her any false hopes.”

52557710895_897391ca3d_c.jpg

My jaw nearly hit the floor.

“False hopes?” I questioned. “I don’t know what you mean by that.”

52557242661_6e747790f3_c.jpg

“You’re going home to New York soon right?” he spat out.
    “Well, yeah…but–”
    “So in that regard, please, just cut ties with her kindly and be on your way. Thanks.” And with that he swooped past me and disappeared around the corner.

Now my mouth dropped with a huff, my head twitching in disbelief. What!? I couldn’t believe him, and didn’t even know how to process that. Truthfully it was making me more angry than I cared to be. I almost called him a je’rk, but no, that wasn’t necessary. I sighed. It seemed pretty clear that he didn’t like me - NO clue why because I’m pretty likable and nice to everyone - and honestly…I didn’t like him. There I said it. No matter how good looking he is. In fact he was looking less and less attractive the more I interacted with his callous self. I huffed again.

52557539689_ba970c1871_c.jpg

“I tried God,” I whispered to the ceiling. "I tried." But…aaaarrghh! Did he have to be so rude!?

No matter what he’d been through…

When Kai found me I did a pretty good job acting like nothing awful had just happened and told him I was going to go home and take a nap. He understood and squeezed my hand affectionately as we said goodbye. Until dinnertime.

❄❄❄

:mrgreen:

Chapter 5 will be released on the 14th. <3
    edited December 2022
    @emorrill

Qipaos look great (I just did a Google search :p )! It was a brave gift to a girl you've never met before though - I hope the size is correct :# . Great idea to wear it for the Christmas dinner :blush: .
    Aww, poor Amaya. C'mon Aizen, it's Christmas - you have enough time to make cookies with your daughter! :#
    Then again, this gives Malai a good excuse to go see Kai already long before dinner time... Yep, I see that's exactly what she's thinking, hehe.
    Ooooh, I like that picture of Aizen in his towel even though he's being so grumpy :love: .
    Hmm, things are not going too well for Malai and Aizen now, are they. No one likes a new acquaintance criticizing their parenting :s . Ouch!
    Cute cookies! Yummy. :yum:
    I see the new romance between Kai and Malai is developing very fast. So romantic! Love the picture of Kai caressing Malai's cheek :heart: . And then the perfect kiss :love: .
    Oh? Amaya lives with her grandparents... Interesting.
    Poor girl :( . So sad to hear her mother passed away, and that she died when she was still just a baby. Poor Aizen too :'( .
    I'm glad Aizen took Malai's apology so well... But it's sad he doesn't want Malai to spend more time with Amaya. I think it's understandable that he doesn't want his daughter to get disappointed again by losing someone who's become important to her, but it's sad nevertheless. His daughter needs nice and kind adults around her even if they are not all there to stay. And well, Malai just might be there to stay, you never know :p .
    Hehe, Malai looks cute in that picture where she's angry. I like the expression on her face.