Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin Just Automatically Began Repairing My Game

Comments

• MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    edited August 2022
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I really do not see the point of this thread as a player origin is working fine no problems at all and sims4 loads just fine as well have you also check to make sure its not your anti virus blocking origin or the sims4 itself?

Good to hear at least one player is not experiencing any issues. Personally I think the fact that origin is suddenly forcing people to update without an option to play offline is something worth talking about. I usually postpone every update for a week or two to wait for mods, so I know perfectly how playing offline works. This time I was planning to play offline longer due to the many glitches. But EA and/or origin obviously don't agree with playing offline to avoid a patch any more. If I had known updating origin would result into this, I would not have updated at all. Next time I will definitely not trust an origin update without coming to the forums first.

But the damage to my game is done. All the new bugs and no way to go back to the previous version.

Indeed, I am surprised this thread is not on fire. Forced updates is bad - pretty much a gamebreaker for me.

This. So much this.

I always kept my Origin updated but if this is what's going to happen, no thanks.

We paid for a game, and we can't play it.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I've been lucky with my game so far. The first time I went to start it through my Origin page, the page was white, filled with outlines where the games' "box images" would have been. I refreshed the page, and everything worked fine.

I don't have High School Years (at least not yet...) but the patches haven't caused game-breaking issues for me. I'm crossing my fingers that will remain the same.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • DangusDangus Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm just trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and let the "repair" update my game or not. I'm pretty sure cancelling the repair at the Terms and Conditions popup just messed up the whole thing. I would really, really, really rather not update though.
    There still hasn't even been any official notification about this problem, has there? I'm seeing reports of this both here and in the Sims 4 and Origin Answer HQs, the Sims 4 and Origin reddits too (and the latter is just an entire page full of complaints of issues).
    Some acknowledgement from the company sure would be nice.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    I am so glad I'm not alone in this. I thought it was all because I had some computer problems...

I'm glad that I'm using my new computer. With that, it'll only take some minutes to repair the game. With my old computer, it would take literally 2 to 3 days, which would be really horrible when I desperately want to play The Sims 4.

I hope it gets fixed soon. As much as it is somewhat useful, it is still annoying to wait some minutes when I open the computer. Good thing it isn't the old computer though...
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I really do not see the point of this thread as a player origin is working fine no problems at all and sims4 loads just fine as well have you also check to make sure its not your anti virus blocking origin or the sims4 itself?

Good to hear at least one player is not experiencing any issues. Personally I think the fact that origin is suddenly forcing people to update without an option to play offline is something worth talking about. I usually postpone every update for a week or two to wait for mods, so I know perfectly how playing offline works. This time I was planning to play offline longer due to the many glitches. But EA and/or origin obviously don't agree with playing offline to avoid a patch any more. If I had known updating origin would result into this, I would not have updated at all. Next time I will definitely not trust an origin update without coming to the forums first.

But the damage to my game is done. All the new bugs and no way to go back to the previous version.

Indeed, I am surprised this thread is not on fire. Forced updates is bad - pretty much a gamebreaker for me.

If the next month’s patch is completely normal with origin acting as usual then that is one thing. Once, ok, bad but ok. If this happens often I will be less amused. I hope this is just a very very bad bug because offline should always be available.

Like I wrote in a different post on the forum, it is difficult to just pick up a kit on a whim one day if you dread letting your game have access to the internet to the point that you pull out the internet-cable prior to starting the game.

You can have any kind of pretty trailers for a new kit, I am still not online. Boring stable patches and a equally boring functional Origin would be fantastic!

I don’t need pretty stuff, just stability and things working as they should.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

If the next month’s patch is completely normal with origin acting as usual then that is one thing. Once, ok, bad but ok. If this happens often I will be less amused. I hope this is just a very very bad bug because offline should always be available.

Like I wrote in a different post on the forum, it is difficult to just pick up a kit on a whim one day if you dread letting your game have access to the internet to the point that you pull out the internet-cable prior to starting the game.

You can have any kind of pretty trailers for a new kit, I am still not online. Boring stable patches and a equally boring functional Origin would be fantastic!

I don’t need pretty stuff, just stability and things working as they should.

It also seemed to coincide with the launch of the beta of the EA App. I am hoping that this was a one off as a result of that.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,918 Member
    Its a good thing we got this thread to help each other out troubleshooting.
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member

I completely agree.

I tested today and after being forced to patch, I managed to play offline again. It kinda has no purpose now as the main reason for playing offline was to play a stable game without the latest patch. But it might just be possible to play offline if the next patch turns out to be as bad as the current one.

I have updated the game. Installed a set of mods and though I can play offline with Origin, I can't with the new EA App if anyone is using that. Going offline in the EA App and then launching the game means that non of my expansions or packs are recognised as being owned.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited August 2022
    Good news, a new Origin update seemingly fixed whatever issues it caused with yesterday's update and I was able to launch Sims 4 in offline mode. Bad news is that if your Sims 4 started repairing, you're gonna have to just let it finish verifying and get the patch otherwise the game does not recognize any of the packs.

I went and updated Ui Cheats Extension and MCCC (the only script mods that I use) and as far as I am aware the aging issue was patched? Either way I've got (or will be getting) the update now for better or worse, at lease the game finally works again =/
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited August 2022
    Been offline since the patch that brought with it the "pause movement" bug (Werewolves patch, I believe). All of a sudden I boot up Origin, go offline, and hit the icon...nothing. Again...nothing. I try restarting Origin, running in admin mode, updating my drivers, even restarting my system...nothing. Then Origin tries to "repair" my game. No thanks.

I try going offline and loading the game...Origin tells me it'll try repairing it again once I go online. Sounds vaguely like a threat.

I try reinstalling Origin. Nothing but an attempt to repair. I'm not going to be playing my game, it seems...not unless I let go and let repair.

The repairs finish, and I cancel the update. I try going offline and launching the game. "I can't let you do that".

I back up my saves, move my mods out, back up my tray, take a deep breath, and surrender. This isn't my game. I just paid a one-time fee (per pack) to loan it from EA.

It's done updating, but my playstyle will be marred by the issues. I uninstall the game and wipe it from my system. Origin, too.

I guess it's finally time to start going through my library of games. Worst part is that I still get those moments...the ones wherein I get a new idea or want to explore a concept that I can't in reality. My first mode of operations is to imagine it in-game, but the second is to remind myself I don't have that luxury right now.

There are many, many colourful words I'd like to express to those responsible, but just like me with my game...they'll just have to use their imaginations.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • DangusDangus Posts: 5 New Member
    > @AedanStarfang said:
    > Good news, a new Origin update seemingly fixed whatever issues it caused with yesterday's update and I was able to launch Sims 4 in offline mode. Bad news is that if your Sims 4 started repairing, you're gonna have to just let it finish verifying and get the patch otherwise the game does not recognize any of the packs.
    >
    > I went and updated Ui Cheats Extension and MCCC (the only script mods that I use) and as far as I am aware the aging issue was patched? Either way I've got (or will be getting) the update now for better or worse, at lease the game finally works again =/

This does indeed seem to be the case. Updated Origin, went offline (cancelled the verification process that still plagues me), and managed to actually get into the game this time after clicking the .exe that was previously not working either. However, the loading screen was convinced I didn't own any DLC.
    I'm still not going to update though. I'd rather wait and see if this is also addressed officially or if it actually is a corruption issue. Out of one frying pan and into another.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,655 Member
    edited August 2022

I tested today and after being forced to patch, I managed to play offline again. It kinda has no purpose now as the main reason for playing offline was to play a stable game without the latest patch. But it might just be possible to play offline if the next patch turns out to be as bad as the current one.
    Same here. I went without patching for two years and playing off line. I don't like the fact my setting for automatic updates were off when it started updating on it's own. Not good!
    But, I have been able to play offline again over the last couple of days.
    Have just done the updated origin update.
    I think the last one I did on this laptop was on Wednesday when the game went repairing itself and updating on me. And Thursday on my work laptop, when it just updated and didn't repair itself.
    Let's hope this origin update has resolved the problem.
    Post edited by February11 on
    MLgj4Vx.png
    Good news, a new Origin update seemingly fixed whatever issues it caused with yesterday's update and I was able to launch Sims 4 in offline mode. Bad news is that if your Sims 4 started repairing, you're gonna have to just let it finish verifying and get the patch otherwise the game does not recognize any of the packs.

I went and updated Ui Cheats Extension and MCCC (the only script mods that I use) and as far as I am aware the aging issue was patched? Either way I've got (or will be getting) the update now for better or worse, at lease the game finally works again =/

A new origin update? A bit pointless because it won't restore my game to the version I had before the forced update. :(
    has anyone installed this update? After the last one, I am done trusting origin.
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I have not trusted Origin to be fully in "offline mode" on my pc for years. It would always detect there was an update for TS4 and never let me start it without updating.

Luckily I have an external wifi dongle on my PC, which I now physically unplug before launching TS4 after a patch has dropped. They will never get their hands on my unpatched game before I update all my mods ever again >:)
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    joleaco wrote: »
    I have not trusted Origin to be fully in "offline mode" on my pc for years. It would always detect there was an update for TS4 and never let me start it without updating.

Luckily I have an external wifi dongle on my PC, which I now physically unplug before launching TS4 after a patch has dropped. They will never get their hands on my unpatched game before I update all my mods ever again >:)

Good call, I had to put mine in airplane mode, these type of measurements should not have to be taken though!!! 🤬

Now there is a new update for origin, nah, I don’t trust it 😬

• MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    I gave in and repaired/patched my game last night. I also saw the "new Origin update" message but LOL NO. I can play my game offline again now (albeit with the bug-ridden patch), I'm not risking that again with another Origin update.

Hey, Sims team/Origin team, if you want us to stop trusting your software and be even more resistant to updates, this is a great way to go about it...
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    Is there a way to avoid this for the time being?

The thing is by sheer luck I was logged into Origin during the weekend, but had put it off-line, because there’s no way I’m patching as long as the Henford-on-Bagley bug hasn’t been fixed (+ I’m not ready to give up whims for wants&fears yet), and had simply kept my computer in sleep-mode which means I’m still logged into Origin and can still play my game pre the High School patch. When I read about the havoc the new update to Origin caused, I disconnected the wifi, and so far the only thing I get is a small pop-up on the front page of the Sims 4 game kind of similar to the SDX’s telling me that my game is repairing, but that I need to go online in order to do so. I’ve been ignoring the pop-up and so far so good.

But I’d also like to connect my wifi again and use the computer for other stuff so question is, if I turn the wifi back on while still having the Origin window open but turned to off-line, will the repair thing that Origin is so set on doing happen anyway? And furthermore, if I were to log out of Origin, will it be possible to disconnect the wifi and go in via desktop despite Origin needing an update?

So sorry for everyone who got forced into patching. It’s beyond frustrating when you get run over like this.
    Miricha wrote: »
    I gave in and repaired/patched my game last night. I also saw the "new Origin update" message but LOL NO. I can play my game offline again now (albeit with the bug-ridden patch), I'm not risking that again with another Origin update.

Hey, Sims team/Origin team, if you want us to stop trusting your software and be even more resistant to updates, this is a great way to go about it...

I totally agree.

At least the game can still run even if I am stuck with the bugs and 'features' of the most recent patch. But for the next patch I will hit airplane mode before I start up origin as I no longer trust that program to respect the choice to not update automatically. At this point I also have little confidence that any new patch itself, btw.
    edited August 2022
    Greyling wrote: »

The thing is by sheer luck I was logged into Origin during the weekend, but had put it off-line, because there’s no way I’m patching as long as the Henford-on-Bagley bug hasn’t been fixed (+ I’m not ready to give up whims for wants&fears yet), and had simply kept my computer in sleep-mode which means I’m still logged into Origin and can still play my game pre the High School patch. When I read about the havoc the new update to Origin caused, I disconnected the wifi, and so far the only thing I get is a small pop-up on the front page of the Sims 4 game kind of similar to the SDX’s telling me that my game is repairing, but that I need to go online in order to do so. I’ve been ignoring the pop-up and so far so good.

But I’d also like to connect my wifi again and use the computer for other stuff so question is, if I turn the wifi back on while still having the Origin window open but turned to off-line, will the repair thing that Origin is so set on doing happen anyway? And furthermore, if I were to log out of Origin, will it be possible to disconnect the wifi and go in via desktop despite Origin needing an update?

So sorry for everyone who got forced into patching. It’s beyond frustrating when you get run over like this.

I was one of those that got forced into patching. As it happens I have got the game pretty stable again, but it took me just shy of two days!

I started in the same position as you, but decided to do a computer reboot and when I launched Origin, it said it needed to update. In the past i have always let Origin do that and then go offline and play my game. That is when the problems started. I simply had to 'repair' and update the game at that stage.

I suspect if I hadn't updated Origin or rebooted my computer, meaning I had to relaunch Origin, I would have been OK and been where you are now. So don't restart Origin!

FWIW, there is some nice features in the patch. The gender preference options are pretty good. There is also some mods available to kill most of the annoying stuff like constant phone use, etc.

Not encountered fears yet (I might even to enable them - not looked), but the wants aren't too dissimilar from whims and can be pretty good with follow up wants after achieving one - nice touch. The main issue is being stuck with them and not being able to refresh them like you could with whims. Again there is mod that can do that with the wants as well.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member

I was one of those that got forced into patching. As it happens I have got the game pretty stable again, but it took me just shy of two days!

I started in the same position as you, but decided to do a computer reboot and when I launched Origin, it said it needed to update. In the past i have always let Origin do that and then go offline and play my game. That is when the problems started. I simply had to 'repair' and update the game at that stage.

I suspect if I hadn't updated Origin or rebooted my computer, meaning I had to relaunch Origin, I would have been OK and been where you are now. So don't restart Origin!

FWIW, there is some nice features in the patch. The gender preference options are pretty good. There is also some mods available to kill most of the annoying stuff like constant phone use, etc.

Not encountered fears yet (I might even to enable them - not looked), but the wants aren't too dissimilar from whims and can be pretty good with follow up wants after achieving one - nice touch. The main issue is being stuck with them and not being able to refresh them like you could with whims. Again there is mod that can do that with the wants as well.

Thank you for replying and glad to hear you managed to stabilize your game again, but sorry that you got forced into patching 🙂
    I’ll see how long I can keep it offline and un-patched then. There is lots of stuff that I’d like to have from the new update so hopefully, the Henford bug will get squished next patch, because that one would definitely be game breaking to me as I spend quite a lot of time there and don’t want to risk seeing the special premades getting swapped out. It just wouldn’t feel the same anymore. I know there’s a mod that should fix this issue, but I’m trying to keep my game mod(though not cc)-free until Sims 4 is complete, and I also think EA-Maxis ought to fix features they break that affect game play when there’s clearly a fix for it.

As for whims vs wants & fears, I’ve only been playing with whims on for about a handful of months and have actually been enjoying them so I’m not quite ready to say goodbye just yet. I was hoping that they would have let them stay in so that we would have had the choice between EITHER whims OR wants&fears OR neither, but I also knew it wouldn’t happen which was my main reason for not patching in the first place and from what I’ve been reading about fears so far, it sounds like I’ll be going back to having this aspect turned off.

Thanks again 😊
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member

Where can I find the mod that blocks constant phone usage?
    Sure, np but im sorry, i went to the page with all the HSY mods. I mistaken the one that i currently use!

The one i currently use is from here : https://lazarusinashesmods.tumblr.com/tagged/base game mods
    ...so which ever you feel ore comfortable with i guess will do!

Btw thanks to all you modders and to the community at large !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker