The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin Just Automatically Began Repairing My Game

Comments

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,893 Member
    edited August 2022
    My game is repaired, but I see no button for Patching, so I assume the game was patched as well (without really asking me). Not sure though.
    Loading game now. Not sure what bugs I should worry about, is there anything particular I should look for, or avoid even? I guess there's something about wants/fears that is easy to locate, if the thing was patched...

The wants and fears, you can toggle on/off in the game options gameplay section

Same with automatic updates (sims delivery section, i put it on 'only on startup') ..so if its on automatic , then you got patched !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    CrazyFrog wrote: »
    My game is repaired, but I see no button for Patching, so I assume the game was patched as well (without really asking me). Not sure though.
    Loading game now. Not sure what bugs I should worry about, is there anything particular I should look for, or avoid even? I guess there's something about wants/fears that is easy to locate, if the thing was patched...

The wants and fears, you can toggle on/off in the game options gameplay section

Same with automatic updates (sims delivery section, i put it on 'only on startup') ..so if its on automatic , then you got patched !

I never had anything on automatic. And I can't see anything in simology panel related to wants and fears, so I'm happy to guess my game was not patched :) UI Cheat mod is not working though, but the creator normally is very quick updating it, and I can always build etc while I wait :)

So, if I gt this right, my game was updated (repaired), not patched, and I did not install the new App, but keep starting the game from desktop icon while Origin is in offline mode.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    Aha. Ok terminology got me confused im sorry @Simmerville ... update and repair are two things for me. Repair is repair, w origin. Update is in the game, not the one done thru origin. So if I got this one right on my end, patching for you mean updating for me (the sims delivery per say) im sorry !

Hope all is good and you can play :smiley:
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Yup. The behavior of Origin appears to have changed.

In the past I could update Origin and then go offline and play my game, but it looks like the Sims patch is being forced, so that is my nice stable game destroyed if I let it continue.

So looks like I will have to update the game and I really, really don't want this recent patch.

Meanwhile, I have forced closed Origin and will do some breathing exercises to calm my anger at EA.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison

Meanwhile, I have forced closed Origin and will do some breathing exercises to calm my anger at EA.

Maybe try the EA beta... im risking to say ! This forum is EA right ? :blush:

Maybe try the EA beta... im risking to say ! This forum is EA right ? :blush:

I am completely locked out now. :(

I am guessing because I closed Origin and opened it a couple of times, it wanted me to verify my account and of course no verification has come through to email, not in my spam folder either.

So can't even get into Origin :(

I wonder if there is special division setup there at EA to make playing their games as frustrating as possible. Perhaps they work along side the Remove User Agency sub team.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited August 2022
    I logged into origin offline without updating it. I stopped the updating.

After that I could go into the

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin

There I clicked on the TS4_x64, it looks like the logo and it was an Application.

Would not have thought to do that without @CrazyFrog who typed up this path earlier in this conversation.

This way I can play Sims 4 without updating it appears.
    I logged into origin offline without updating it. I stopped the updating.

After that I could go into the

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin

There I clicked on the TS4_x64, it looks like the logo and it was an Application.

Would not have thought to do that without @CrazyFrog who typed up this path earlier in this conversation.

This way I can play Sims 4 without updating it appears.

This is what I tried to do.

When I try to launch Origin in offline mode I get a user login error.

But now I can't seem to get a verification code, so no access at all.

Guess i am now to go on a journey of support pages on the web and so on.

Awake.
    The day's divinity....
    edited August 2022
    Ok good thing i came back, i just did my confirmation routine, everything runs good. Basically i successfully swapped origin for EA Beta :wink: works great ! I highly recommend it at this point.
    Post edited by Slacker on
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    About 10:45 pm ( Pacific time) August 9th, I tried to go into origin and it said there was an internal error, and wouldn’t let me go to the game. I tried a few times, restarted my computer and it was the same, so I closed out origin and went straight into the game without origin and was surprised it was online that way. I hope origin is working tomorrow. I don’t know too much about computers. At least I updated my game after patch that fixed the aging bug and bought the high school pack, just a couple days ago so don’t need to do that, but I always buy my packs and download them through origin, so I hope they fix it soon.
    Ok good thing i camr back, i just did my confirmation routine, everything runs good (i havent touched origin since 8pm last nite)... asta la vista! lol Basically i successfully swapped origin for EA Beta https://www.ea.com/ea-app-beta :wink: works great ! And if you got the desktop directly link your TS4 exe file then EA Beta will turn on and run the game. I highly recommend it at this point no doubt.

Glad i could help you to get things running. @SilentKitty

@ModerateOsprey ... origin you cant start it if your not online, you have to go online, start origin and then you go offline mode, thats the way i do it at least ! im sorry hope you get it going shortly.

ciao4now!

I simply not getting the verification code emailed to me in order to login at all. So I am locked out at this point :/

Awake.
    The day's divinity....

@ModerateOsprey ... origin you cant start it if your not online, you have to go online, start origin and then you go offline mode, thats the way i do it at least ! im sorry hope you get it going shortly.

ciao4now!
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I couldn't even load up the game today by staying offline. Origin updated by itself then the only way to do anything was to go online and now I am being forced to update the game, which means after that I will have to update my mods as well. Not amused.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    edited August 2022
    Update: body hair is indeed available in CAS, so my game *was* patched.
    Hm, so why did I not find any UI regarding wants/fears? Are they not thee for already existing sims?

Just clarifying that I find no trace from the recent patches, although Origin repaired/updated my game for 30 minutes. I think I should have found something regarding wants/fears in the simology panel, but I see nothing new there. Perhaps I just looked in the wrong place. I did not yet go into CAS though, will look for body hair etc now. Ah, and the cell phone UI should be different too, I guess.

It's a bit confusing that Origin uses both terms repair and updating during the process. I thought I was only repairing, Origin worked through the content of all my 33(?) packs, and then afterwards I had to confirm that it should be installed - with the disclaimer of "no return" (as if I had a choice, beside I was never told what the repair/update was about, aaand it was initiated by Origin and not by me clicking anything except originally just accepting the "Origin needs to be updated").

Origin never used the term "patch" though. But afterwards I can't see the option to patch my game in Origin. Perhaps I will now need to install and run the App in order to patch. Or it was patched but Origin found no point in informing me?
    Post edited by Simmerville on
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    edited August 2022
    Ok good thing i camr back, i just did my confirmation routine, everything runs good (i havent touched origin since 8pm last nite)... asta la vista! lol Basically i successfully swapped origin for EA Beta https://www.ea.com/ea-app-beta :wink: works great ! And if you got the desktop directly link your TS4 exe file then EA Beta will turn on and run the game. I highly recommend it at this point no doubt.

ciao4now!

I simply not getting the verification code emailed to me in order to login at all. So I am locked out at this point :/

..hehe you got one slipped in there..

so you're locked outta your origin, what about installing EA Beta and launching the game thru your EA account directly cause that is what EA Beta does apparently, anyhoo thats what i do now i uninstalled origin lol :wink:
    https://www.ea.com/ea-app-beta

I am so confused by all this. Will see how it plays out for other simmers.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,642 Member
    This is all so totally messed up!
    So we're having patch updates forced on us. I went 2 years without updating my game quite happily, and now it repairs without me asking it to, updates and patches when it appears to be doing a second repair. Crazy. Yet my work laptop did it all in a very different way, but worked all the same. So frustrating. And this is the reason I stopped patching and updating. I wanted no problems, and now they're back in a different way!
    I'm just bout to check my home laptop to see if it still runs okay. Fingers crossed. I signed in earlier, but didn't hit play. I was actually too scared at this time of the evening to encounter a problem, and then have to stay up fixing it again. But here goes ... ...
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,642 Member
    edited August 2022
    Phew! No problems - tonight, anyway!
    Hope all those with problems still, get them sorted.
    I turned off that two step verification not long after I started it a year ago for that reason alone. Getting locked out by a glitch. It shouldn't happen!
    MLgj4Vx.png
    If I cannot play the game without updating I will not be able to play.

I play a heavily modded game. Updating it involves a lot of cross checking mods and verifying that things are ok. That is done on a timer because you have to be done and go offline before the next patch hits. I update about 3 times a year.

There is no way I am updating now. Kiddo just started school, we offered to be scout leaders, my SIL is having a baby any day now. We have 95-year old to celebrate. And that is before we even take a look at household stuff. Unless they send over Hermione’s time-turner there is no way I am putting a few evenings aside for checking mods. 20-something me in Uni did the play all night stuff. 40-something me needs regular sleep and have too many obligations for monthly patches.

Keeping fingers crossed that we can have stress free logins soon.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    My game is still fine, but I always put my desktop in airplane mode o:) (on top of having automatic updates disabled) because I don't trust EA/Origin at all and it can't magically turn my wifi on or take my computer out of airplane mode.
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    I guess my game updated. I went into the ea app tried to play offline, it did go offline, but said I had to repair game as game might be corrupted. So did that, and then when it was finished it took me to the game icon screen and it was online at that point, and it didn't say needs update, so I guess it was done anyways grrrr. So I just stayed online entered the game and yep aging bug there in full force, mcc pregnancy mod is messed up yes I updated to the latest patch, so I can no longer set number of babies or even find out how many babies my sims are going to have. Sigh. This is just messed up. Even though I can play now, I am not sure I want to. Grrr why does EA put out an app to play the game and not tell anyone. I didn't know about it till someone on here told me, and because origin is messed up you have to play on the app it seems. I am happy for those who using the short cut worked, or can still play offline without patching or still use origin, but those options for some of us were taken away. I am beyond incensed, and this is making me more resolute about buying any future packs. I didn't plan on getting HSY anyways, but as far as going forward and purchasing probably not. Thanks for helping me save money EA I appreciate it.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,467 Member
    edited August 2022
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    February11 wrote: »
    Origin just updated, and when I went to play (I usually play offline), it wouldn't let me, and next minute my game began repairing.
    Once it was done, I couldn't go off line to play, and it wanted to update to the new patch.
    It's now repairing again!
    Anyone else have this happen?

Origin is doing the same for me. When I open up it immediately starts repair, although I thought it was updating. For once I want to postpone a sims 4 update indefinitely and now this.

On top of that all my games are just blanc boxes, I can't click on play. I read someone else had this and had to restart their pc but that didn't fix it for me.

I had auto-update turned to the OFF position. It was like that the day before the Patch hit for HSY. So, when I opened up my game that day I was horrified to find the update in progress! I have MODS. I quickly paused the update (something I never do) and pulled my Mods folder out of the game. It did the same thing to me when the smaller patch came out. Sadly, my rescued Mods folder was basically empty of its contents the second time, despite others suggesting it was too small to harm mods. (No it didn't harm them, it just removed them. :open_mouth: ) I had saved some mods in another folder on my desktop and was able to retrieve a small mod another player whipped up for me. Phew! And I was able to redownload the others I needed. But what a mess.

Back on point, I haven't yet opened Origin today. Yesterday I got the blank page thing, reported by others. I have a shortcut for Sims4, that I made accidentally one day ages ago. I was able to get into my game. Phew! I pray, my saves aren't blank boxes. I made copies of both of my saves, made several days prior to the coming Patch for HSY. I just don't wish to have to start either one of them over again. My second one is the Flashback for the Main save. I took my Global Superstar, Rock Star, through his high school years. He's just five days away from aging to YA.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DangusDangus Posts: 5 New Member
    Yeah, Origin updated yesterday morning for me, wouldn't start the game after that so I reloaded Origin; it started immediately trying to verify and repair TS4, so I kind of just let it happen.
    After that, there was a license agreement notice that mentioned agreeing to terms for the UPDATE, so I said hell no and cancelled. I am NOT updating to this disaster of a patch if I can help it.
    Unfortunately, the repair problem persisted into today. Can't start the game from either Origin or directly from the .exe; clearing cache and reinstalling origin didn't help either. I think I'm going to have to update the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game, and if so, I'm furious.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Update: body hair is indeed available in CAS, so my game *was* patched.
    Hm, so why did I not find any UI regarding wants/fears? Are they not thee for already existing sims?

Want/Fears are in the Gameplay options where the whims used to be located. They're not in CAS.
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    Dangus wrote: »
    Yeah, Origin updated yesterday morning for me, wouldn't start the game after that so I reloaded Origin; it started immediately trying to verify and repair TS4, so I kind of just let it happen.
    After that, there was a license agreement notice that mentioned agreeing to terms for the UPDATE, so I said hell no and cancelled. I am NOT updating to this disaster of a patch if I can help it.
    Unfortunately, the repair problem persisted into today. Can't start the game from either Origin or directly from the .exe; clearing cache and reinstalling origin didn't help either. I think I'm going to have to update the 🤔🤔🤔🤔 game, and if so, I'm furious.

Try downloading the ea app, and at the left hand side of the box are three lines. You have the option to play offline. I must warn you though that it might say you need to repair game if you play offline and if it does don't do it, as after repairing through this app, to my surprise I now saw my game had patched as it kicked me back online, as the option to play was there not update needed sigh.