Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game repair?

Does the game automatically update after doing a game repair in Origin?

Comments

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,918 Member
    Good question... your game update settings are setup in your origin account. Unless i am mistakin...

My question is, has anyone got a glitch w the origin app update ?
    The game does not appear in my game library, i was able to start it from the origin games folder though so im good :# !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    CrazyFrog wrote: »
    Good question... your game update settings are setup in your origin account. Unless i am mistakin...

My question is, has anyone got a glitch w the origin app update ?
    The game does not appear in my game library, i was able to start it from the origin games folder though so im good :# !

Yes. I just had an origin update happen and now my game library has 3 white boxes. The box I know is ts4 will only partially load when clicked on. No play button.
    It doesnt appear to affect the game, if u can get it to go from you 'program files' folder; origin games/The Sims 4/Game/Bin
  • SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    I decided to try restarting my computer and was surprised that it actually fixed it.
  • Susim62Susim62 Posts: 225 Member
    This is why I was asking in the first place. I updated Origin and the game wouldn't launch.
    I did a game repair and I clicked the update button because I didn't see another option.
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    Resetting my game system helped things run better for me too. After a full reset with the application and the system I played the game on, I noticed significant improvement with my game.

Close the Sims on your computer

Turn off your computer

Turn on your computer

And open the game

That’s pretty much the only thing I did differently.

I play on the PlayStation 4 though.
    Here’s the thing. I usually let my computer and ps4 go into sleep mode so the system can auto update.

What this means is that my computer and ps4 are usually on all the time, but at such a low power that it doesn’t use too much electricity.

It’s possible that I just needed to reset the system, so it could run the start up processes again.
    Oh yeah.. well i am on PC and i did on/off then startup, got a blank screen again in the origin library. So i made a desktop shortcut to c:/Program Files/Origin Games/The Sims 4/Game/Bin/Ts4.exe) :p
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    The desktop shortcut is working fine. Deleting the origin cache files didn't help.
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    I made short cut doesn't work, tried restarting computer before making short cut didn't work. Any other suggestions as how to get my game to run since the origin update?
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I had a problem with Origin not working due to missing MSVCP140.dll. Wouldn't let me get into Origin at all. I couldn't even uninstall it to reinstall. I downloaded the EA App and was able to access my game with that. It is still in Beta but worked well for me. My grandson fixed Origin for me but I am keeping the EA App too. Maybe the app would work for you?
    I had a problem with Origin not working due to missing MSVCP140.dll. Wouldn't let me get into Origin at all. I couldn't even uninstall it to reinstall. I downloaded the EA App and was able to access my game with that. It is still in Beta but worked well for me. My grandson fixed Origin for me but I am keeping the EA App too. Maybe the app would work for you?

Thank you. I think it might, but I can't by pass the update that I have been bypassing as I don't want the bugs that came with the last patch. Well if nobody can come up with a different answer, I might just cave and update and use the app, but really hoping I can find a solution via origin. thank you so much again. I really appreciate the help.

EA app ? Whats that, is that an app that i could avoid origin with and still play my game ? I wish i didnt have to use origin

@Colorist40 Origin has gotta be running, for the 'shortcut' trick to work. So if your origin wont start forget it. My game is fully updated too...

i dont know how to transfer a post from one thread to another but here for those that only read here:

StuffyMarx wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

This happened for me as well, but I had a desktop icon to fall back on. The game ran ok, Origin wasn't trying to update as far as I could tell. It does seem insistent on ramming the EA launcher down my throat though.

EDIT
    Hitting Control+R if you have that screen with blank areas instead of games to click on may work. Alternatively the option is in the "Origin" menu, about halfway down the list. (Reload Page)
    @Crazyfrog, the EA App was advertised on Origin and still in Beta. It is described as a platform and serves as a launcher. Search it online and you should find better answers than I can give you, and a place where you can download it. I didn't download it from Origin as I couldn't get into my Origin, so I looked it up online and was able to download it from an EA site. It took a bit of time for my games to show up in it but was worth the wait. Just sign in to the app using your ea account you have for Origin and games download automatically. At least that was what happened when I downloaded it.
    Mods and Custom Content, CC, are a major source of most bugs.

I think my game might be afflicted with the under-age romance bug… And if it is, it’s definitely a problem with the game because I can’t use mods or CC on the PlayStation 4.

I’ve only seen one instance of the potential bug, and it happened too fast for me to get a screenshot. All I can say is that I had 3 teen mermen turn down a romantic advance at the same time, right before they disappeared from the lot. I didn’t see the interaction or who the other one involved was.

But, as far as I can tell, most of the merfolk sims on the lot had their sexual orientation updated in CAS. The only unknowns are the townies.

I have only 3 mermen in my game that will engage in gay romance. 2 mermen married to each other, and 1 bisexual merman married to a mermaid.

But, game lag and the saving issue I experienced have been resolved. Still too early to know if there’s a romance bug.
    edited August 2022
    I prefer to let my sims discover their own identity, but I’m on the 3rd/4th generation of a couple legacies.

Cousins in these legacies have the option to romance each other despite not being more than cousins once removed.
    TY so much for the info @maggiemae8135 ...i dont think i would have come accross it otherwise so thanks for reassuring me that it is safe and legit :smiley: im sure i'll find it no prob! Have a great day ....
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Gagea wrote: »
    The desktop shortcut is working fine. Deleting the origin cache files didn't help.

Worked for me too.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited August 2022
    It's not working for me. Rebooted computer (which took forever to start).
    EA, why are you doing this to us, and why are you doing it without even a tiny warning?

I'm not patching my game, meaning I will not be allowed to play? It worked fine last night, today nothing?
    I don't want the App either, why would I need it when I prefer to play offline in order to avoid buggy patches? Why should I trust the App on day 1?

PS: Just realized it might be a good idea to backup my game before doing anything. Origin insists on repairing my game the next time I go online.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    Thank you, @Crazyfrog! You have a great day too! :)
    edited August 2022
    EA, why are you doing this to us, and why are you doing it without even a tiny warning?

I'm not patching my game, meaning I will not be allowed to play? It worked fine last night, today nothing?
    I don't want the App either, why would I need it when I prefer to play offline in order to avoid buggy patches? Why should I trust the App on day 1?

PS: Just realized it might be a good idea to backup my game before doing anything. Origin insists on repairing my game the next time I go online.

I sympathize with you @Simmerville as I want to play so bad was having so much fun for a change, but the work arounds other have mentioned like putting the ts4.exec short cut on desktop isn't working, and I could use the app but I don't want to as it will make me update and I don't want to be able to play the game only to find I have all the issues others have experienced like phone obsession which would be the worst, lag, and other issues. I hope this isn't going to replace origin as if it is, we won't have any options to opt out of patches unless it is added in.

Origin did do an automatic repair on my game, but it didn't download patch thankfully.

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Colorist40 wrote: »

I sympathize with you @Simmerville as I want to play so bad was having so much fun for a change, but the work arounds other have mentioned like putting the ts4.exec short cut on desktop isn't working, and I could use the app but I don't want to as it will make me update and I don't want to be able to play the game only to find I have all the issues others have experienced like phone obsession which would be the worst, lag, and other issues. I hope this isn't going to replace origin as if it is, we won't have any options to opt out of patches unless it is added in.

Origin did do an automatic repair on my game, but it didn't download patch thankfully.

Thanks. Oh - it did not patch? Perhaps I will need to try the repair then. With some luck offline will work without patching.

I really dislike the way they simply roll out a big change with no warning. I guess I'm not the only one being able to play one hour now and then, but like tonight that hour was stolen by backing up my files (which I did few days ago, so not really planned to do it again this early) and I have no idea whether my game will be playable again tomorrow or in 3 weeks. EA should have given us some info beforehand. Today I got the not that I could update Origin. If I knew it was not a regular update I would have delayed it a couple days because there is certain things I need to get done in game, like capturing some pictures for blog updates etc. The lack of communication worries me.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    edited August 2022
    Oh yeah repair and update are definetly separate operations. Its just bad karma that origin had a glitchy update of its app, right after TS4 experienced a buggy patch!

(edit)...so after installing the beta, a few reboots later i found out you can start the game without going online, but the packs didnt load ! So maybe its not intended to start offline or it will eventually be worked... When i start the game from the beta when im online, i can go off np after that....
    Post edited by Slacker on
    edited August 2022
    Now i got a question nevermind :*
    Post edited by Slacker on