Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    The pack is a teen pack that why it's called high school years.Also what about Winderberg, and the country world which were base on Europe or uk.Also snowy escape and sulani are not destination worlds.

I referred to them as 'destination packs' because the packs are about those locations - not in the "destination world" sense of Granite Falls/Selvadorada.

Cottage Living is set in the UK, but farming can be done on any lot in any world when you add cows/chickens/soil. Unless a high school lot type is available for any world, active high school is tied to Copperdale. A high school lot you can place anywhere would be an improvement, but most of the things they've added are still mostly only valid for a US high school experience.

Any you can join the movie career in every world.I do believe a high school lot would been better.I just don't see a problem it being American
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,383 Member
    Thetford wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Swimming would have been a nice sport activity and open to all genders. Or ice hockey.

Both are also separated by gender. If I recall, the only sports were men don't have an advantage is long distance marathon running (the longer the distance, the smaller the gap is). Or sports were the competitors don't physically compete with each other, like equestrian, or chess and darts.

And ice hockey is just as exclusive, to very northern nations. At my university, the only sport that was more expensive to participate in than ice hockey was polo (IE, horse croquet popular with royals). In addition, it would've required a full ice rink and everything.

I highly doubt we are going to get full American football games, the game has a hard cap of 20 on the number of Sims in a neighborhood active at once. That isn't enough for the players on the field, let alone the players off the field, the coaching staff, ref, linemen, the cheersquad and the audience. We are, unfortunately not going to experience the "epic highs and epic lows of high school football". Sorry Archiekins, they would've shown it in the trailer if they put that much work in to it.

What we are going to get is what we got in Discover University: some drills you can do on the field, (I'm guessing in this case, some passing drills, maybe some tackling drills, running laps) while the games are all away in rabbit holes.

I hope in vain we have more than football, cheer, chess and computer club based on what additional packs we have (such as debate, robotics, drama, etc) but I have a strong feeling that it isn't going to happen.

Yes, they are separated by gender, but at least they get to participate. With American football and cheerleading participation is almost exclusively for one gender only. As for hockey we already have the ice rinks. I see kids and teens playing hockey at the mall ice rink in my city, think they rent it by the hour, can't be more expensive than tennis.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Swimming would have been a nice sport activity and open to all genders. Or ice hockey.

I hope in vain we have more than football, cheer, chess and computer club based on what additional packs we have (such as debate, robotics, drama, etc) but I have a strong feeling that it isn't going to happen.

One thing that really disappointed me in Discover Uni was the fact that they "lied" about both schools having a debate team?
    It would have been much more logical if the Saturday Debate Showdown actually was between the two schools like in the trailer.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options

Both are also separated by gender. If I recall, the only sports were men don't have an advantage is long distance marathon running (the longer the distance, the smaller the gap is). Or sports were the competitors don't physically compete with each other, like equestrian, or chess and darts.

And ice hockey is just as exclusive, to very northern nations. At my university, the only sport that was more expensive to participate in than ice hockey was polo (IE, horse croquet popular with royals). In addition, it would've required a full ice rink and everything.

I highly doubt we are going to get full American football games, the game has a hard cap of 20 on the number of Sims in a neighborhood active at once. That isn't enough for the players on the field, let alone the players off the field, the coaching staff, ref, linemen, the cheersquad and the audience. We are, unfortunately not going to experience the "epic highs and epic lows of high school football". Sorry Archiekins, they would've shown it in the trailer if they put that much work in to it.

What we are going to get is what we got in Discover University: some drills you can do on the field, (I'm guessing in this case, some passing drills, maybe some tackling drills, running laps) while the games are all away in rabbit holes.

Yes, they are separated by gender, but at least they get to participate. With American football and cheerleading participation is almost exclusively for one gender only. As for hockey we already have the ice rinks. I see kids and teens playing hockey at the mall ice rink in my city, think they rent it by the hour, can't be more expensive than tennis.

This is not true .Cheerleading is open to all.Just most of them are females.Because most guys do not do cheerleading guys can still participate.I know someone who is male and was on his cheerleading team.Football they are some female team's and most members who do football are male .This sport separate because of the differences male and female.

As for the record American high schools do not have tennis teams or ice hokey.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited July 2022

This is not true .Cheerleading is open to all.Just most of them are females.Because most guys do not do cheerleading guys can still participate.I know someone who is male and was on his cheerleading team.Football they are some female team's and most members who do football are male .This sport separate because of the differences male and female.

Mine did. As did my daughter's (and her school had both boys and girls teams for Ice Hockey). It really depends on where in the US the school is located and the size of the parent's bank accounts. I know for a fact that several schools in Wisconsin and Minnesota have Hockey teams, because my cousins were on them.

I personally think they should have gone with Basketball, as that has teams for men and women, and often has cheer performances unlike most other sports besides Football.
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I'm a bit late to this, but isn't this just University again?
    Or is high school teen?

I kind of liked some of the things I saw, but I'm also a bit tired of school related things always being so American when can clearly get other game packs that are inspired by other cultures.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,383 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Mine did. As did my daughter's (and her school had both boys and girls teams for Ice Hockey). It really depends on where in the US the school is located and the size of the parent's bank accounts. I know for a fact that several schools in Wisconsin and Minnesota have Hockey teams, because my cousins were on them.

I personally think they should have gone with Basketball, as that has teams for men and women, and often has cheer performances unlike most other sports besides Football.

Basketball would have been nice, as we can't even ply it one on one either, just shoot hoops.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

This is not the equivalent of a sandbox. This is a sandbox where the sand castle is already 90% built.

That right there sums up the entirety of TS4 in a single sentence. Too much is already baked in. It's hard to buck the preexisting vision.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Yeah my tiny town didn't even have the space or funds for a football team and just had it's gymasium with basketball and poured all of it's effort and focus into it. Though, who knows how things changed over time.

We had a science team for state competions, with people who were enthusatic over robotics and such. I was there to simply give tests on astrology and toplology, which...I had no instruction for and was left on my own to do. I basically got a warning of "Hey, pull your weight more if you want to continue on," and I was like "Nah." Because all of my after-school activities were foisted on by my mother...who promptly redirected me to music and getting involved in a choir a town over.

Do miss choir and singing. It was my one benefit of actually going to church and then I became a godless heathen. :P Should actually get back into that at some point. So yeah, I do hope we get bands and some sort of music additons at some point. And cross-pack functionality for robotics and the drama and scouts.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    I agree. Every pack kind of has a cultural theme. No one complains why was komorebi a Japan theme? Why was Jungle Adventure a South American theme? Why was Sulani a native islander theme? Etc. Etc. So what's wrong with an American themed pack? I'm not even a native American and I see nothing wrong with this. I understand everyone wants to be "represented" these days but
    It's impossible to represent every country in one little school pack. It would have been a mess of mixed up cultures all trying to be packed into one and that's not a good look IMO.
    Precisely, we have packs that are base on specific cultures.Saying that we shouldn't have specific American things in packs.Because not every has them.To me is not representation
    Your right they could not be able to represent everyone in a pack.I do think we more customization lots and other things.

Snowy Escape, Jungle Adventure, and Island Living are specific destination packs. The theme of each of those packs is the location. It makes sense for those packs to feature a world that lets you explore that destination, its culture, and the events you might experience in in that location.

Education is a worldwide concept. The theme of the pack is not about a location. Since this is likely to be the only education pack for teenagers, it's cutting out people who want to play an experience other than "American high school with football and cheerleaders".

Exactly, Education is a world wide concept. It wou have been nice if the sims 4 were a bit more generic so people in more countries can feel this high school as a familiar setting. But this is a problem with sims 4 in general. All the worlds in this version of the game seem to be created to be one specific real life location. And don't you dare to pretend it is somewhere else. Not being able to get rid of neighbourhood decorations certainly doesn't help in making versatile worlds. In previous sims versions the worlds were neutral enough for simmers to project their own imagination onto the world.

There is nothing wrong with American football or cheerleading. It is great for playing an American high school. But this makes the pack more narrow than it could have been, which is a shame. I hope we can ignore these activities for those simmers who want to play a sim outside of the US. We will have to wait until we find out more about the gameplay in the new pack. It would have been great if we had a non US centric sport as well, so we could have a few more choices. American football and cheerleading for the who want a US focused experience and some other choices like swimming or athletics for those who want a more international feeling. Perhaps an update/integration with the soccer from university so sims can join the soccer team?
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member

Speaking of exclusive things... I just saw Lilsimsies reaction and I had to google "Promposal"... Seems like something explicitly designed to increase bullying...

At least let my Sim go Carrie on everyone if she's not invited to prom :wink:

(Edit: Sorry, bullying and things that can lead to bullying is kinda a hard trigger for me still).

I just die on the inside at that concept. I, too, would like to Carrie the plum out of that.
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member

As a Brit who attended a British University, the only things British about Discover University is the town and the kebab pizza.

I was just about to make a post that said the same. There's so little about that pack I recognise, it's ridiculous! :D
  • Options

The things is we got basketball with City living.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited July 2022
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I agree. Every pack kind of has a cultural theme. No one complains why was komorebi a Japan theme? Why was Jungle Adventure a South American theme? Why was Sulani a native islander theme? Etc. Etc. So what's wrong with an American themed pack? I'm not even a native American and I see nothing wrong with this. I understand everyone wants to be "represented" these days but
    It's impossible to represent every country in one little school pack. It would have been a mess of mixed up cultures all trying to be packed into one and that's not a good look IMO.
    Precisely, we have packs that are base on specific cultures.Saying that we shouldn't have specific American things in packs.Because not every has them.To me is not representation
    Your right they could not be able to represent everyone in a pack.I do think we more customization lots and other things.

Snowy Escape, Jungle Adventure, and Island Living are specific destination packs. The theme of each of those packs is the location. It makes sense for those packs to feature a world that lets you explore that destination, its culture, and the events you might experience in in that location.

Education is a worldwide concept. The theme of the pack is not about a location. Since this is likely to be the only education pack for teenagers, it's cutting out people who want to play an experience other than "American high school with football and cheerleaders".

Exactly, Education is a world wide concept. It wou have been nice if the sims 4 were a bit more generic so people in more countries can feel this high school as a familiar setting. But this is a problem with sims 4 in general. All the worlds in this version of the game seem to be created to be one specific real life location. And don't you dare to pretend it is somewhere else. Not being able to get rid of neighbourhood decorations certainly doesn't help in making versatile worlds. In previous sims versions the worlds were neutral enough for simmers to project their own imagination onto the world.

There is nothing wrong with American football or cheerleading. It is great for playing an American high school. But this makes the pack more narrow than it could have been, which is a shame. I hope we can ignore these activities for those simmers who want to play a sim outside of the US. We will have to wait until we find out more about the gameplay in the new pack. It would have been great if we had a non US centric sport as well, so we could have a few more choices. American football and cheerleading for the who want a US focused experience and some other choices like swimming or athletics for those who want a more international feeling. Perhaps an update/integration with the soccer from university so sims can join the soccer team?
    tbh what i have most beef is how they keep adding same type of worlds over and over
    I'd much rather they didn't add world at all in theme like this
    and just took those resources to making more gameplay

like school could just be a lot type you place anywhere really
    same as spas and restaurants

why does it need a specific world i humbly ask
    that just makes them want to focus on some cultural inspo whatever
    over perfectly good gameplay ideas
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

It's not a key feature. It could have been re-used without significant value loss. Same with Soccer from DU, imo. Heck, import them both and let teens choose from four sports (yes, I'm counting cheer as a sport. Have you seen what those kids go through?)
  • Options
    Ceridwen wrote: »

Speaking of exclusive things... I just saw Lilsimsies reaction and I had to google "Promposal"... Seems like something explicitly designed to increase bullying...

At least let my Sim go Carrie on everyone if she's not invited to prom :wink:

(Edit: Sorry, bullying and things that can lead to bullying is kinda a hard trigger for me still).

I just die on the inside at that concept. I, too, would like to Carrie the plum out of that.

That was genuinely my reaction: like "Instant Depression" just at the thought of someone saying no.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »

tbh what i have most beef is how they keep adding same type of worlds over and over

I'd much rather they didn't add world at all in theme like this and just took those resources to making more gameplay

like school could just be a lot type you place anywhere really

same as spas and restaurants why does it need a specific world i humbly ask

that just makes them want to focus on some cultural inspo whatever over perfecty good gameplay ideas

We already have so many packs that offer worlds. I could definitely enjoy a pack without a world just as much if this means we can get decent gameplay.

It's not a key feature. It could have been re-used without significant value loss. Same with Soccer from DU, imo. Heck, import them both and let teens choose from four sports (yes, I'm counting cheer as a sport. Have you seen what those kids go through?)

Now there is a chance for cross pack compatibility. Or even just downright re-use these features. I mean the sims team uses some things like food stalls over and over. I believe I even saw the chocolate fountain from the luxury party stuff in the trailer so that is already reused. I wouldn't mind if they did the same with soccer and baseball if that means teens have more after school activities.
  • Options
    Heck, yeah, making the school a placeable lot, and the football field too (say you have to have a 40x30 lot for the football field if you want to use it) would be better, I think.

Of course there would probably be a famous builder putting an unusable high school in the gallery because they used too much MOO and the doors doesn't open or something, but we're used to it.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    Personally I don’t mind that they want Americanized high school.

I am an American but this is no way representative of my high school experience. To me this is more of a Hollywood Americanized experience. My school had over 3000 kids. My graduation class had over 600. There really wasn’t one popular person or a group. Popular people existed within each separate group. Most people didn’t eat in the cafeteria, lunch was divided between three or four time periods.

My biggest problem is the possibility of their only being this one high school lot. Because that wouldn’t fit most of the worlds in the game. My sulani teens can’t go here. It would ruin the immersion for me.

I do wish they would’ve added track/cross country. We can already running in the game and they included the track. Some art and band clubs. Already have the easel and instruments. Group projects (Could have re-skinned get together projects).
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2022
    Honestly this pack seems surprisingly good in my opinion. Only minor complaints I have are;

- The world, the actual campus area looks nice, but again same as I said with Werewolves, the rest of the world looks like Granite Creek 7.0. If the world is going to look exactly the same as ones we already have, just don't add a world. It's a waste of development time and I'd rather they use that time for adding actually new things
    - Teens are still adult height :/
    - Not sure how I feel about body/facial hair growing over time, will this only affect played sims? Is there an option to turn it off? If I give a sim a specific facial hair, or body hair choice I don't really want it changing on its own

Those are only pretty trivial complaints though, otherwise I think this pack did a pretty good job from the trailer
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Is it me or was the trailer the most "american high school stereotypes woke edition" ever?
    Ugh, I just dont care for teen drama, prom and all that stuff sorry, not sorry.
    Is this gonna be like Uni? Not good for rotational play....?
    And much like Uni, I dont find the thought of playing studying very entertaining, but at least Uni brought robotics....well, we'll see I guess...for now the only thing I liked was one set of pants...everything else....yawn.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    same question will there be a toggle to turn off body hair as a player its the only negative thing that i see since its not something i went to see on my sims
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Overall this pack looks like it will have some good features for teen sims which can expand on their life strange, there is only one negative thought I have about this pack. Who designed this fashion? Normally CAS in the last few packs have been amazing but this one is so meh. For realistic players it won't work as I don't think any would wear some of these outfits and two, most schools have dress codes so some of these outfits just won't fit with the school theme. I personally just don't like the style overall at all besides a few things here and there.

Maybe it's because I am no longer in high school; but a lot of this just don't relate with my experiences.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited July 2022
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    Overall this pack looks like it will have some good features for teen sims which can expand on their life strange, there is only one negative thought I have about this pack. Who designed this fashion? Normally CAS in the last few packs have been amazing but this one is so meh. For realistic players it won't work as I don't think any would wear some of these outfits and two, most schools have dress codes so some of these outfits just won't fit with the school theme. I personally just don't like the style overall at all besides a few things here and there.

Maybe it's because I am no longer in high school; but a lot of this just don't relate with my experiences.

I think to me most of them just look ill fitting to me like they picked wrong size or something or then the design is like really... nay

then again i am not a teen so i guess my opinions do not matter

also I noticed they're back to my first croptop cas which is probably another reason i am not liking it

oh and all shiny shimmery stuff is giving me trot singer instead of teenager so :lol:
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member

This. Cheerleading and color guard (they don't have in the sims, but it was much bigger thing back in my high school than cheerleading as we did a lot more as it was more of a mix of marching like with the band and military during parades, sport events and field shows, dancing, etc....winter guard we had more freedom as we were separate from the band as that is when they focus more on concerts) is open to both genders and we had a few guys in our color guard/winter guard squad and they did a lot of the athletic stunts such as the flips, just that the majority weren't interested in trying out, same with cheerleading as there were no guys at the time. The competition focused more on routines and skills (we used flags, sabers and rifles in our routines. Sometimes with used other props), so the differences between genders isn't as much of an issue like it with a lot of sports.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top