Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Olympus UI and Multiplayer Code in The Sims 4

Comments

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    1) I've never seen lag like this, I don't think, but maybe it's because I have a fairly high-end machine. It might be something that's exacerbated with lower-end machines, or in saves that go on a while.

It is influenced by saves aging. But it is legitimately the only sims game to have or ever had this issue and it's taking them a very long while to fix it.
    2/3) Ah, I guess I've missed these cause I haven't done Dine Out much. I'm not sure I see how you come to the conclusion that the GP is practically worthless because of Chefs getting stuck sometimes, but it sounds like it can be very aggravating.

well 60% of the pack is running your own restaurant and it's practically impossible to ever get 5 start due to the issues.
    5) I don't think that's a bug, so much as an unintended consequence of how Butlers are designed. Or have they stated that you're supposed to be able to go into speed 4 with Butlers?

Now that would be very silly :D here, watch your sim sleep for 10 IRL minutes because you hired a buttler?
    10) When and who? I've never encountered this. It's been a long time since I played GTW careers, but I don't remember any game-breaking progression bugs.

to give an example:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/825104/deliver-baby-task-doctor-career-issue/p1

in detective career, sometimes a sim that you're supposed to detain simply does not exist, or the description will be contradicting itself.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    well 60% of the pack is running your own restaurant and it's practically impossible to ever get 5 start due to the issues.
    I'll have to give it a go sometime. Practically impossible sounds like a challenge to me. B)
    Now that would be very silly :D here, watch your sim sleep for 10 IRL minutes because you hired a buttler?
    I don't think my meaning is entirely clear. I meant that if the Butler is not sleeping, it's probably not supposed to allow speed 4 because of issues with going at speed 4 and trying to process the actions properly. If the Butler is sleeping, I would think it's supposed to allow that (and I thought it did? Or does it not?)
    to give an example:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/825104/deliver-baby-task-doctor-career-issue/p1

in detective career, sometimes a sim that you're supposed to detain simply does not exist, or the description will be contradicting itself.
    Ah ok. I don't remember if I ever encountered those.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I don't want to be rude here. Why the sims 4 supposed to be a new gaming experience .It is still the fourth game of the franchise. Meaning people compare it to past games, and how things work. Because of its a sequel, and its fourth iteration.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I don't want to be rude here. Why the sims 4 supposed to be a new gaming experience .It is still the fourth game of the franchise. Meaning people compare it to past games, and how things work. Because of its a sequel, and its fourth iteration.

I wholeheartedly second this. I've heard this exact argument regarding other games as well (Fallout 4, if I'm remembering correct...?), and I view such statements as a blatant deflection. It's perfectly rational for people to consider Sims 4 to be like the other 3, yet we've often gotten response akin to "we have a different vision now." Well, clearly that vision is quite controversial, because at the very least we know Sims 4 isn't doing as well as Sims 3 did. Yeah yeah, we don't know definitively, but I imagine they'd want to tell the press if 4 outpaced 3.

People have complaints and concerns about Sims 4. To simply respond to those with "this is a different game" does nothing to actually tackle and address any of those complaints. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we've still been given zero reasoning or rationale as to why we lack:

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

Etc etc. If I asked "why are there no firefighters" and heard "this is a different game" as an answer, then it's quite understandable why I'd feel unsatisfied with that answer.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    edited May 2017
    MissCherie wrote: »
    This has had zero impact on our development. You don't know how long we've been working on this project (and no I will not discuss it as it is not my place) and you didn't even seem to notice the change until a SimGuru mentioned it.

I'm sorry what? I don't want to sound disrespectful, but where have you been the past year or so? It is often discussed how slow the EP are coming, it was said by Graham (if I remember correctly), that the EP production would slow down to one a year beside every few months.

We did notice the change, the right thing to say would be to say we didn't knew why, but saying that we didn't even notice is insulting, and it show that you think we are plum.

I will give you this one warning: Please refrain from making statements about what I do and do not think of this community.

The Sims 4 is a different game compared to the past iterations and we are treating it differently. From the content we produce to the way we market the product. You assumed that we were going to keep things the way they were before, that was not something we confirmed nor did we ever promise that we would do that with this iteration. What we have done is brought a new experience into the Stuff Packs, introduced Game Packs, and have been bringing new experiences with our Expansion Packs. We made the decision prior to The Sims 4 releasing to no longer have split teams (meaning not all at EARS) which has proven to be in the best interest of the game and having a stable product since all things are developed side by side and can be cross checked with one another.

I wasn't comparing it to the previous iterations, I was only speaking about The Sims 4, the first EP came 7 months after the game release, the second one came 8 months after, and the third one 11 months, and then we was told by Grant (I said Graham earlier, my bad it was Grant) it would be around one per year now on, that's what I mean by we did notice a change, not a change compared to the iterations, but a change during the 2 years and half of The Sims 4.

I do know that it can change, I understand that The Sims 4 isn't the same than the iterations, and wouldn't always be exactly 7-8 months, but passing from 7-8 months to 11-12 months, that's a big difference in production/development, that's 4 months, it's none of my business if The Sims 4 doesn't follow any pattern with the packs, I'm just saying that we did notice a change in the production/development, you don't pass from 7-8 months to 11-12 months without a reason, that you guys couldn't share the why of it isn't the question here, I do understand at 100% that you guys aren't allowed to speak about future projects or how the teams are divided or not between packs or projects, I don't work at EA it's none of my business how the team(s) is/are managed, all I'm saying is we did notice a change, we maybe didn't know what it was exactly, but we noticed.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the slow down of EP have nothing to do with it, but whatever the reason is, the production/development of EP slowed down, I'm not saying it's wrong or not saying ''how dare you'', I'm not asking why or how, that's not of my business, but it did slow down, and we did noticed it.

But anyway, have a lovely weekend.

gCQKjq4.png
  • MidnightSun665MidnightSun665 Posts: 1 New Member
    They shouldn't have tried to drop this game mobile fully aware of the fact they hadn't fixed the technical difficulties on PC AND Desktop. I loved the Sims 3, it was so fun and stress-relieving, so I decided to get Sims 4 as a show of support for Maxis and Electronic Arts, and because I really liked Sims 3. My computer is a very new laptop, with basically a trilobite worth of space and Sims 4 only requires about ten gigabytes for the entire download, maybe less. My CPU is stellar and I never have any issues with it. Except for when I play Sims 4. The game freezes, it is exorbitantly laggy and slow. But, I did my own troubleshooting, because I can program and code, without deleting my game and getting rid of all of my progress and it runs about 95% better. I am definitely not deleting my mods which are basically just custom content, because it was super laggy before I used modifications and when I paid seventy dollars for it the day after it came out on September 3, 2014. I don't ask the tech gurus for help or get technical support from the site because they aren't even informed about how to help you when they work for technical support of the game and it's their job, and they just mess everything up. WARNING: Do not allow a tech guru to have remote access to your game.

I wholeheartedly second this. I've heard this exact argument regarding other games as well (Fallout 4, if I'm remembering correct...?), and I view such statements as a blatant deflection. It's perfectly rational for people to consider Sims 4 to be like the other 3, yet we've often gotten response akin to "we have a different vision now." Well, clearly that vision is quite controversial, because at the very least we know Sims 4 isn't doing as well as Sims 3 did. Yeah yeah, we don't know definitively, but I imagine they'd want to tell the press if 4 outpaced 3.

People have complaints and concerns about Sims 4. To simply respond to those with "this is a different game" does nothing to actually tackle and address any of those complaints. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we've still been given zero reasoning or rationale as to why we lack:

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

Etc etc. If I asked "why are there no firefighters" and heard "this is a different game" as an answer, then it's quite understandable why I'd feel unsatisfied with that answer.

Yes, that I was thinking as well. Sure I'm okay if the game does new things. It is a new game after all, and the previous games weren't exactly the same. Still, the game is a sequel. I will also expect old things back. Also, old things touch upon and made better
  • SeliosSelios Posts: 81 Member
    edited May 2017

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

Yes, that I was thinking as well. Sure I'm okay if the game does new things. It is a new game after all, and the previous games weren't exactly the same. Still, the game is a sequel. I will also expect old things back. Also, old things touch upon and made better

you don't think it's at all unreasonable to be asking for every feature from previous games, improvements on those features, and new features added on top of it all?
    especially when the budget for the game is lower than before?
    Selios wrote: »
    you don't think it's at all unreasonable to be asking for every feature from previous games, improvements on those features, and new features added on top of it all?

When building a sequel I expect them to note what worked, what didn't work, take out what didn't work and try again. The Sims fanbase is already fairly forgiving in the fact that everyone EXPECTS to buy back the expansion content over time.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

It's not about wanting every feature. The problem is twofold.

1) Saying "this game is different" is a dismissal of complaints. For example if you complained "this game should be open world," I could reply back and state that with open world come a number of advantages and disadvantages that they felt overall aren't worth it, arguing that they'd rather prioritize rotational play or multiple families per save file even if it comes at the cost of things like story progression. That may not be an answer you like, but it is an answer as to the method that let's you know and understand their reasoning. If you ask that same question and I answer "this game is different," I haven't exactly expounded upon any of my thoughts or reasoning.

2) The method and the purpose in omitting something. If I tell you "this game is different," it's a bit difficult to explain how being "different" means firefighters need to be skipped. Sometimes being different is a good explanation for changes, but other times it isn't, as being different and housing a traditional feature are not mutually exclusive. In this case, stating "it's different" doesn't really explain anything about why Firefighters are gone, nor justify it.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited May 2017

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

I've been trying to stay out of this fray- lol. Especially since it mostly comes down to consumer perception versus reality in a partial information vacuum and current climate of high corporate distrust BUT I just have to say this in regard to the above- I think it's unreasonable for the budget for the game to be lower than before, that's the unreasonable part. LEGAL DISCLAIMER: My preceding statement is wholly and completely based on the possibility of unknown probability that the budget is in fact lower. A possibility which I have absolutely no evidence to support and in fact did not make but only responded to as though it contained some manner of validity. DISCLAIMER ENDED Now I'll just go and get another drink and bag of kettle corn.
    edited May 2017

When building a sequel I expect them to note what worked, what didn't work, take out what didn't work and try again. The Sims fanbase is already fairly forgiving in the fact that everyone EXPECTS to buy back the expansion content over time.

that's a fair expectation, too bad almost no one seems to follow the same logic as features that were considered unsuccessful are still being demanded in the forums
    as for the sims community being forgiving, and that being the reason, I would have to disagree. There's plenty of people within the community who are upset that the base game is not a shiny version of TS3 + all expansions. And even if those people didn't exist, plenty of other games follow the expansion pack model and have communities which support it, so I don't know why this community would be any more forgiving than those.

that's a fair expectation, too bad almost no one seems to follow the same logic as features that were considered unsuccessful are still being demanded in the forums
    as for the sims community being forgiving, and that being the reason, I would have to disagree. There's plenty of people within the community who are upset that the base game is not a shiny version of TS3 + all expansions. And even if those people didn't exist, plenty of other games follow the expansion pack model and have communities which support it, so I don't know why this community would be any more forgiving than those.

because normally players expect a new game to release with the features that were implemented in expansions in a previous game. Civilization gets really negative reviews often for "not being a complete game".

I understand "the open world did not work" bit, however the exchange was supposed to be stability. And the game is not in a very good shape right now, so I don't feel like that was a fair trade.
    edited May 2017

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

I've been trying to stay out of this fray- lol. Especially since it mostly comes down to consumer perception versus reality in a partial information vacuum and current climate of high corporate distrust BUT I just have to say this in regard to the above- I think it's unreasonable for the budget for the game to be lower than before, that's the unreasonable part. LEGAL DISCLAIMER: My preceding statement is wholly and complete based on the possibility of unknown probability that the budget is in fact lower. A possibility which I have absolutely no evidence to support and in fact did not make but only responded to as though it contained some manner of validity. DISCLAIMER ENDED Now I'll just go and get another drink and bag of kettle corn.

I don't mean to be the guy that says "ea is always right!" because they obviously aren't. but in respect to major business decisions you think they would allocate the game a lower budget (which they have already said to be the case) for.. no reason? the genre simply isn't as popular as it used to be. it's not as groundbreaking as it was in the early-mid 2000s.

I just think it's a bit naïve to assume we know enough to make claims like that, disagreeing with probably dozens, or hundreds of business professionals.

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

Who asking for every feature in the previous games. I still expect a good fraction of it to be in this game. Since it is a sequel

because normally players expect a new game to release with the features that were implemented in expansions in a previous game. Civilization gets really negative reviews often for "not being a complete game".

I understand "the open world did not work" bit, however the exchange was supposed to be stability. And the game is not in a very good shape right now, so I don't feel like that was a fair trade.

that's a completely fair, and reasonable opinion. I don't disagree at all.
    I don't mean to be the guy that says "ea is always right!" because they obviously aren't. but in respect to major business decisions you think they would allocate the game a lower budget (which they have already said to be the case) for.. no reason? the genre simply isn't as popular as it used to be. it's not as groundbreaking as it was in the early-mid 2000s.

I just think it's a bit naïve to assume we know enough to make claims like that, disagreeing with probably dozens, or hundreds of business professionals.

they're the only ones in the genre.

As for claims that it isn't popular anymore? They shut down Simcity because of it and look how great Cities: Skylines are doing. If anything simulation is on the rise currently. Many shop/ hospital/ building simulators in the vein of prison architect are coming out to get a chunk of that success, we have Parkitect and Planet coaster both competing side by side by seizing different elements of park simulation, we know that Planet Zoo is in development and Cities: Skylines 2 is likely. Semi life simulators such as Youtuber's Life and Stardew Valley are even managing to steal a bit of The Sims fan-base, if the forums that I visit are anything to go by.

If The Sims is doing worse now than before, they only have themselves to blame.
    edited May 2017

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

Who asking for every feature in the previous games. I still expect a good fraction of it to be in this game. Since it is a sequel

that's.. one expectation I suppose. It isn't mine. I actually am not one of the people who wanted TS4 to be a pretty version of TS3. To me, repeating the same things over and over again in every iteration 1. gets in the way of new development and 2. is boring, repetitive, and feels like a waste of money.

that's just my opinion though. you don't agree and you don't have to.

And if you've seen these forums, you can find demands for just about every ts3 feature being imported to ts4. Every. Single. One.

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

I've been trying to stay out of this fray- lol. Especially since it mostly comes down to consumer perception versus reality in a partial information vacuum and current climate of high corporate distrust BUT I just have to say this in regard to the above- I think it's unreasonable for the budget for the game to be lower than before, that's the unreasonable part. LEGAL DISCLAIMER: My preceding statement is wholly and complete based on the possibility of unknown probability that the budget is in fact lower. A possibility which I have absolutely no evidence to support and in fact did not make but only responded to as though it contained some manner of validity. DISCLAIMER ENDED Now I'll just go and get another drink and bag of kettle corn.

If they have stated that they are operating with a lower budget- which I in no way remembered reading and I don't consider information to be fact until I see corroborating evidence to support it- then it also in no way changes my opinion that the move is unreasonable. That's my personal feeling on the subject and if you should consider that naive then so be it. That is your personal feeling regarding my feeling. However, dozens and even hundreds of people all working together have made the wrong decision in the past and they will again in the future. If someone(s) within EA/Maxis made that decision to lower the budget on a supposed AAA title then I find it unreasonable, despite what you may or may not think of my (someone who you do not know) qualifications as a "business professional" or lack thereof.
    edited May 2017

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

If they have stated that they are operating with a lower budget- which I in no way remembered reading and I don't consider information to be fact until I see corroborating evidence to support it- then it also in no way changes my opinion that the move is unreasonable. That's my personal feeling on the subject and if you should consider that naive then so be it. That is your personal feeling regarding my feeling. However, dozens and even hundreds of people all working together have made the wrong decision in the past and they will again in the future. If someone(s) within EA/Maxis made that decision to lower the budget on a supposed AAA title then I find it unreasonable, despite what you may or may not think of my (someone who you do not know) qualifications as a "business professional" or lack thereof.

I guess I worded myself poorly. It's not about you (or me) not being business professionals. It's that we don't have the numbers or the statistics laid out in front of us. The people who made the decision do. They might not be right all the time (this is obvious, insert toddler story, bla bla bla), but their opinion is weighed on a lot more than mine is. So for me to go and say "the budget should have been higher!" , just kind of goes unsupported. It isn't about feelings, or anything like that.

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

I guess I worded myself poorly. It's not about you (or me) not being business professionals. It's that we don't have the numbers or the statistics laid out in front of us. The people who made the decision do. They might not be right all the time (this is obvious, insert toddler story, bla bla bla), but their opinion is weighed on a lot more than mine is. So for me to go and say "the budget should have been higher!" , just kind of goes unsupported. It isn't about feelings, or anything like that.

It's about my first statement above perception- that's what I mean by "feeling". Not emotions but how I and others perceive it. Consumer perception is higher than reality when it comes to purchasing a a product. My perception is that it's a bad move to cut the budget and if they have publicly stated that they did then that makes the perception even worse. It colors everything the consumer, myself in this case, sees from that point on in a shade of "cheaper" quality due to cheaper production. I'm going to automatically be searching for where the cut was made and what was left out because the statement that the company is trying to produce the same product at a cheaper price has formed that image in my head. That may not be fact. The product, in fact, may be quite good but it is perception that counts- not fact and perception is what corporations should most concern themselves with. That's why I think it's an unreasonable decision to cut the budget and even more unreasonable to announce it. It ignores perception. And yes, no matter what facts and figures I may have been presented with I would have bristled at cutting the budget. In fact I did at a recent board meeting where cutting the budget of a program was suggested- you can believe that or not. To my thinking losing consumer base is not a result of spending too much money and regaining or retaining base is not a result of spending less. Shrug- it's a point of view, mine and I'm not apt to change it with any amount of arguing nor you yours I think so here I'll bow out. Feel free to deliver your final argument or not, as you wish.
    edited May 2017

Cops and Burglars
    Firefighters
    Doorbells
    Carpools
    Cars

It's about my first statement above perception- that's what I mean by "feeling". Not emotions but how I and others perceive it. Consumer perception is higher than reality when it comes to purchasing a a product. My perception is that it's a bad move to cut the budget and if they have publicly stated that they did then that makes the perception even worse. It colors everything the consumer, myself in this case, sees from that point on in a shade of "cheaper" quality due to cheaper production. I'm going to automatically be searching for where the cut was made and what was left out because the statement that the company is trying to produce the same product at a cheaper price has formed that image in my head. That may not be fact. The product, in fact, may be quite good but it is perception that counts- not fact and perception is what corporations should most concern themselves with. That's why I think it's an unreasonable decision to cut the budget and even more unreasonable to announce it. It ignores perception. And yes, no matter what facts and figures I may have been presented with I would have bristled at cutting the budget. In fact I did at a recent board meeting where cutting the budget of a program was suggested- you can believe that or not. To my thinking losing consumer base is not a result of spending too much money and regaining or retaining base is not a result of spending less. Shrug- it's a point of view, mine and I'm not apt to change it with any amount of arguing nor you yours I think so here I'll bow out. Feel free to deliver your final argument or not, as you wish.

jeeze, who's arguing? it's like there's no such thing as simple discussion anymore. i'm not closed off to your opinions (although you apparently are ;) ), I simply wanted to know more about them. It sounds like you're saying you prefer when companies withhold information from you for the sake of making themselves and their product look good, which is interesting to say the least.

But since you've "bowed out" I guess I won't be getting any kind of explanation on that.
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    did the sim guru just tells us its none of our bussness what goes on in the company....
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    it's like there's no such thing as simple discussion anymore.
    silly, there's no such thing as a discussion in these forums :p

HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)