Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Olympus UI and Multiplayer Code in The Sims 4

Comments

• brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    Thanks for this @TwistedMexican , but I kinda wish I hadn't read it. lol Because it makes me even madder, because the majority of simmers didn't jump on board TSO when they gave us free copies way back when. We simply pleaded with them to never try to make the Sims an online game ever again, and yet that was the whole intent with Sims 4. Really sad, because this is what we are left with today. A very limiting game because they had a "vision".

the sims online was not a bad game its just i cant exactly explain it it just did not reach its full pointenital but yeah thinking that creating a sims 4 game online was a good idea was a bad idea from the start and something they should not have tired. and yet now we have people saying well hey see its not their fault they cant create a create a style and open world in this game its just the game wont let them, except yeah its their fault for creating the game engine this way in the first place.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    https://simsvip.com/2017/05/10/olympus-ui-multiplayer-code-found-sims-4-engine/
    Olympus the original Sims Online 2.0 was scrapped and they made a singleplayer Sims game in under a year. Or so we figured. Now it looks like more evidence points to Sims 4 being Olympus. Especially with a mobile version coming out that's multiplayer Sims 4 is showing its true colors more and more.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    yeah its an interesting read and makes me seriously think they chose a really horrible time to release the sims moible cuz yeah its opening a bunch of can of worms. cuz from what i understand there is no real reason the game in its current state can not handle an a create a style like in the sims 3 and an open world!

There's no reason why they couldn't add it except for the fact it's the type of thing you need to design from the beginning. The sims 3 objects have several "layers" to them, which allowed you to do things like pick colors for bed sheets, bed frame, etc. The sims 4 objects, because they weren't designed with this feature in mind, use a single texture file. There is no interactive layer for color changes. Every single object would have to be redone to support it at this point.

Open would could have been done except the core of the game's functionality was designed the way it is currently. It would have probably delayed the release greatly to have rebuild the household data structure and traveling system.

I know that's not exactly awesome news, but hope that helps explain why it is the way it is.

it explains why but its not very good i mean it just kind of upsets me a bit. like i am not sure how i am supposed to take comfort in this oh because they made a bad marketing choice we get a shallow game of what could have been.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    yeah its an interesting read and makes me seriously think they chose a really horrible time to release the sims moible cuz yeah its opening a bunch of can of worms. cuz from what i understand there is no real reason the game in its current state can not handle an a create a style like in the sims 3 and an open world!

There's no reason why they couldn't add it except for the fact it's the type of thing you need to design from the beginning. The sims 3 objects have several "layers" to them, which allowed you to do things like pick colors for bed sheets, bed frame, etc. The sims 4 objects, because they weren't designed with this feature in mind, use a single texture file. There is no interactive layer for color changes. Every single object would have to be redone to support it at this point.

Open would could have been done except the core of the game's functionality was designed the way it is currently. It would have probably delayed the release greatly to have rebuild the household data structure and traveling system.

I know that's not exactly awesome news, but hope that helps explain why it is the way it is.

it explains why but its not very good i mean it just kind of upsets me a bit. like i am not sure how i am supposed to take comfort in this oh because they made a bad marketing choice we get a shallow game of what could have been.

You may be taking the whole thing a little too personally. Maxis developed a video game you didn't like. That's it.
    OEII1001 wrote: »

You may be taking the whole thing a little too personally. Maxis developed a video game you didn't like. That's it.

and that changes the fact that they made a poor choice how. they should not have not tired to make the game the way did from the start and now they are in a bit of a tough spot and only because they finally provided vampires and tolders did the game finally become a bit of an improvment for a bunch of people but like vampires and tolders can only add so much. they really need to improve the game alot still. and it should have been great from the start but they made a poor choice and now we are stuck with this shallow game.

and that changes the fact that they made a poor choice how. they should not have not tired to make the game the way did from the start and now they are in a bit of a tough spot and only because they finally provided vampires and tolders did the game finally become a bit of an improvment for a bunch of people but like vampires and tolders can only add so much. they really need to improve the game alot still. and it should have been great from the start but they made a poor choice and now we are stuck with this shallow game.

Well, I'm enjoying the game, but I'm not a real simmer. Regardless, does this revelation change anything? You didn't like the game before you knew this, and you don't like it now. I liked the game before and after. None of it is personal. There's no reason to take it as an offense directed toward you specifically. There's no reason to take comfort because there's nothing to be comforted from. You just don't like the game.

Well, I'm enjoying the game, but I'm not a real simmer. Regardless, does this revelation change anything? You didn't like the game before you knew this, and you don't like it now. I liked the game before and after. None of it is personal. There's no reason to take it as an offense directed toward you specifically. There's no reason to take comfort because there's nothing to be comforted from. You just don't like the game.

a little bit it just means they made a mistake and now we as the customors are paying the price. and to be honest it does not look like they are doing much to fix it other then tolders and vampires and now maybe pets which yeah apparently should make everything all better.

a little bit it just means they made a mistake and now we as the customors are paying the price. and to be honest it does not look like they are doing much to fix it other then tolders and vampires and now maybe pets which yeah apparently should make everything all better.

Paying the price? If you don't like it then don't buy it! And never buy something before you know what's in the proverbial box. It really isn't so dramatic.

Paying the price? If you don't like it then don't buy it! And never buy something before you know what's in the proverbial box. It really isn't so dramatic.

i like elements of the game and those elements make it worth buying and playing for me but at the same time i also think its lacking in so much stuff. there is stuff i do like but the stuff i do like is not enough for me to focus on and not notice there are other things i do not like.

i like elements of the game and those elements make it worth buying and playing for me but at the same time i also think its lacking in so much stuff. there is stuff i do like but the stuff i do like is not enough for me to focus on and not notice there are other things i do not like.

Once again I am getting the suspicion that I'm being trolled. Going to back away slowly now.

Once again I am getting the suspicion that I'm being trolled. Going to back away slowly now.

um is that really your response. you really can not understand someone being able to like something yet not like something at the same time. to you that really makes no sense and that anyone who says that is just saying something that is not possible.

um is that really your response. you really can not understand someone being able to like something yet not like something at the same time. to you that really makes no sense and that anyone who says that is just saying something that is not possible.

Yes, that is my response to your 180 degree turn on just about everything you had said previously. It was the most polite thing I could come up with.

Yes, that is my response to your 180 degree turn on just about everything you had said previously. It was the most polite thing I could come up with.

what my 180 degree turn on everything i said? when i do that. how is saying enjoy elements of the game but also find the game overall a disapoitment a 180 turn like accoruding to your logic if i find the game a disapointment overall i should not buy it and if i like elments of the game i can not find the game overall dispointing and should just be able to focus on those elments that i do like.

what my 180 degree turn on everything i said? when i do that. how is saying enjoy elements of the game but also find the game overall a disapoitment a 180 turn like accoruding to your logic if i find the game a disapointment overall i should not buy it and if i like elments of the game i can not find the game overall dispointing and should just be able to focus on those elments that i do like.

So you're just really dramatic. Got it. I'll keep my distance in the future.

um you really did not answer my question lol.

Didn't see a question in there, and I don't care enough to go back and look for it. Even moreso when I am trying to end this conversation.

Didn't see a question in there, and I don't care enough to go back and look for it. Even moreso when I am trying to end this conversation.

How is saying enjoy elements of the game but also find the game overall a disapoitment a 180 turn? this is more clear now i am sorry seriously my question did get jumbled up in what i was saying but now its more clear :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2017
    Well if you guys recall the former CEO basically commanded all EA games go online - it was one of the many things about him that infuriated me. Go back and look at many of the interviews he did and that is all he talked about. So can we really blame the Sims team to complying with the vision that quite clearly to me was J.R.'s?

By Maxis making the mobile - a separate game actually was an ideal solution if you ask me - as it should have been to start with - with both Sim City and Sims 4 - but of course JR was all about a single game doing it all whether or not the players wanted such things. Because of JR's many interviews many of us long before we even heard there was going to be a New Sim City and a Sim's 4, was on the forums speaking lengthily how we hoped neither was online and that we were not having it. I remember so many discussion on the Sims 3 forums - so when Sim City came out and was online as we suspected - we seriously went a bit ballistic fearing our beloved Sims were also being made online. We were right then - more than we realized.

To me it is even clearer now that by making Sims 4 mobile is actually a good thing - they get their online and the Sims everywhere thing and they leave our game the single player it was always meant to be. It's just too bad for us they didn't do this to start with before they started work on Sims 4....

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

so question was it ever denyed that the sims 4 was olympus did the devs actually say they made a single player game in under a year. i would like to know the exact qoutes because apparently the devs have been nothing but honest with us about the sims 4 from the start.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Well if you guys recall the former CEO basically commanded all EA games go online - it was one of the many things about him that infuriated me. Go back and look at many of the interviews he did and that is all he talked about. So can we really blame the Sims team to complying with the vision that quite clearly to me was J.R.'s?

By Maxis making the mobile - a separate game actually was an ideal solution if you ask me - as it should have been to start with - with both Sim City and Sims 4 - but of course JR was all about a single game doing it all whether or not the players wanted such things. Because of JR's many interviews many of us long before we even heard there was going to be a New Sim City and a Sim's 4 was on the forums speaking lengthly how we hoped neither was online and that we were not having it. I remember so many discussion on the Sims 3 forums - so when Sim City came out and was online as we suspected - we seriously went a bit ballistic fearing our beloved Sims were also being made online. We were right then - more than we realized.

To me it even clearer now that by making Sims 4 mobile is actually a good thing - they get their online and the Sims everywhere thing and they leave our game the single player it was always meant to be. It's just too bad for us they didn't do this to start with before they started work on Sims 4....

yes this is what annoys me the most. i kind of understand the situation they were in at the time. but i wish they again found this soultion before working on the sims 4 which yeah has created the game we have today which while it has elements i like and enjoy it also has more stuff that makes it overall a disapointment.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

By Maxis making the mobile - a separate game actually was an ideal solution if you ask me - as it should have been to start with - with both Sim City and Sims 4 - but of course JR was all about a single game doing it all whether or not the players wanted such things. Because of JR's many interviews many of us long before we even heard there was going to be a New Sim City and a Sim's 4 was on the forums speaking lengthly how we hoped neither was online and that we were not having it. I remember so many discussion on the Sims 3 forums - so when Sim City came out and was online as we suspected - we seriously went a bit ballistic fearing our beloved Sims were also being made online. We were right then - more than we realized.

To me it even clearer now that by making Sims 4 mobile is actually a good thing - they get their online and the Sims everywhere thing and they leave our game the single player it was always meant to be. It's just too bad for us they didn't do this to start with before they started work on Sims 4....

yes this is what annoys me the most. i kind of understand the situation they were in at the time. but i wish they again found this soultion before working on the sims 4 which yeah has created the game we have today which while it has elements i like and enjoy it also has more stuff that makes it overall a disapointment.

Exactly.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Exactly.

glad you understand exactly where i am coming from cuz apparently someone is making me feel like i should not feel like the game has elements i like and still makes it overall disapointment cuz i should eather focus on the stuff i do enjoy 100% or not buy the game according to some people.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited May 2017
    Good article @TwistedMexican I don't understand all that tech stuff, but your article made sense! From what I gathered, S4 was Olympus? ( and here I was thinking the mobile app was Olympus)

Kind of OT (sorry)
    My question: People that play apps on their phone, I take it they don't play for long periods at a time?
    I am asking because as much as I love the Toddlers and Vampires (well done even though I uninstalled the Vampire Pack) and can see the S4 getting better, I still can't stay interested in it. I have not played it for a while. S4 is not able to hold my interest for long, and I am beginning to think it won't.
    Good article @TwistedMexican I don't understand all that tech stuff, but your article made sense! From what I gathered, S4 was Olympus? ( and here I was thinking the mobile app was Olympus)

Kind of OT (sorry)
    My question: People that play apps on their phone, I take it they don't play for long periods at a time?
    I am asking because as much as I love the Toddlers and Vampires (well done even though I uninstalled the Vampire Pack) and can see the S4 getting better, I still can't stay interested in it. I have not played it for a while. S4 is not able to hold my interest for long, and I am beginning to think it won't.

yeah i am seriously constantly trying and it only holds my attention for small periods of time before i get bored and or annoyed with it. like too many features are still/are missing and i just hope things get better but i am not sure if they can
  • FabooshFaboosh Posts: 160 Member
    Sims 4 was just a shallow shell of a game when it released. I am not sure why they even called it The Sims 4,it was huge gamble to the franchise.It almost killed it! The lack of information, the lack of loyalty to long-term players and it really did seem like the removal of "she who shall not be named" have I really seen the game turn around and reach back out to the players verses the person who allowed data to dictate the direction of the game than the actual consumers who purchased the game which was very arrogant and off putting to the fan-base.People have been saying since release that this is what happened and now it seems confirmed. I believe Sims 4 was a huge mess from the start but I do believe they have come along way in a short time.I hope if there is a Sims 5 that mistakes that were made will lead to a much fuller and enjoyable game from the start and for the love of gawd ADVERTISE the game.I'm shocked that people still don't know there is a Sims 4 and its been out a few years now, smh!