Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Pen Pal Project - For All Games!

CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
Do you have a Sim (or two) who would like to share thoughts, ideas, and stories through correspondence with another Sim? If so, then the Pen Pal Project might be just for you!

What is this?
This is a collaborative project in which Sims write each other letters. The letters are posted on your blog (or, your forum thread, if needed).

How does it work?
Partner up with a Simmer or two (or more). Have your Sims write each other letters. You and your partner(s) can decide the parameters, such as aging on or off, frequency of updates, and so on.

What version of the Sims do I need to use?
You can use any version! We welcome all Sims storytellers.

Does this have to tie in with other stories I'm writing?
Not necessarily, but it can, if you'd like it to! This is a very flexible collaboration. If you've got a Sim in a current story, and you'd like to add the dimension of corresponding to other Sims, then that can work! If you'd like to create a Sim just for this project, that can work, too!

What if I sign up but then find out that I need to drop out?
We can work with that! Just like in real life, pen pals sometimes get busy and need to stop their writing. It happens. If you need to drop out, just let your partners know, and then they can find someone to take the new openings.

OK! I'm in! How do I participate?
Just let me know here in this thread! If you've found a partner on your own, let me know, and I'll add you to the directory. If you'd like to find a partner, then post here describing what type of pen pal you're interested in!
Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
Post edited by CathyTea on

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    edited April 2017
    Participating Sims

Check out the Pen Pal Project website for the list of Participating Sims and links to their profiles and blogs!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    edited April 2017
    The Simmers

Find the list of Simmers, including links to their story and pen pal blogs, on the Pen Pal Project website!

edited April 2017
    The Letters

You can find indices of all the letters on the Pen Pal Project website!

• sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    edited January 2017
    @CathyTea - This sounds like so much fun! :) As you know, I have a number of stories happening and can work a pen pal into any of them. If you want, I can give brief bios of my characters and hopefully, someone will rise to the occasion to partner with me.

Meadow sounds like a lovely woman and I think I have the perfect pen pal for her. First of all, can we cross games, meaning can a pen pal be from Sims 3 to a pen pal in Sims 4?

Right, so if Meadow is still looking for a pen pal, my character, Lenora, would be a great one for her. Lenora is an immortal witch but keeps that under her hat unless there is a reason to mention it. She's a busy woman, being an author and an accomplished musician and singer. Lenora is kindness and compassion itself and is always ready to help someone who needs her. Lenora has five children, one with her late first husband and quads (yes, quads) with her current husband whom she's very happily married to. Her children and grandchildren are grown now, but her daughters, Aurora and Andrea, have adopted orphan girls from an orphanage that they volunteer at.

You remember Lenora from my latest short story, and you can find out more about her in my story "Forever in Time" as well as her detailed backstory under her bachelorette challenge. This story is very supernaturally inclined but this element can be toned down (she doesn't have to mention any of it in her letters) if you'd like Lenora as a pen pal for Meadow.

I keep Lenora set at YA status and she has Age Freeze Potion along with Death Flowers in her inventory. Lenora has lived a very long time and knows a great deal about a number of things. Plus, I am an adoptive mother in real life and know a fair bit about issues that may come up.

Let me know if you're interested. :)

Meadow is beautiful, BTW, and little Jena is adorable!
    Post edited by sweetnightingale on
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
    @sweetnightingale I will love for Meadow to have Leonora as a pen pal!

I'll be writing Meadow's profile in a few.

Meadow and her uncle Jasper live in an aging-off world. And when vampires come, I won't be keeping them out of their world. Slowly, cracks from the supernatural may make their ways into Meadow and Jasper's everyday world, so it will be wonderful for Leonora to be Meadow's secretly immortal pen pal! :)

@CathyTea - Oh, wonderful!!! :) I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this. Leora has all kinds of supernatural friends so she can help Meadow get accustomed to the changes when the vampires move in. Let me know when you want to talk about how often we update and such. :) I'll be doing this on my "Simming With Sweetnightingale" blog and will add a profile for Lenora there. Awesome! :)
    edited January 2017
    @CathyTea - Oh, wonderful!!! :) I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this. Leora has all kinds of supernatural friends so she can help Meadow get accustomed to the changes when the vampires move in. Let me know when you want to talk about how often we update and such. :) I'll be doing this on my "Simming With Sweetnightingale" blog and will add a profile for Lenora there. Awesome! :)

Yay! So excited! I just posted Meadow's profile here: https://cathytea.wordpress.com/2017/01/14/forgotten-art-meadows-profile/

Now... would you like to have Leonora see her profile online and then write to her? If so, that would be great! You can just write the letter to her, and then let me know when it's posted, and Meadow will then read and reply! :)

EDIT: Also, @sweetnightingale , let me know what link you'd like me to list in the List of Participating Stories here on this thread! :)

@CathyTea - I saw that and just got done reading it. :) I see Uncle Jasper is going to get in on the action, too! If you need a pen pal for him, I have someone that would suit him. Lenora's Grandda Liam could be a pen pal for him. Liam grew old and died but was brought back, made young, and was given immortality by his now wife, Mathilda, who is, in my stories, the most powerful witch who ever lived. Mathilda was secretly in love with him for decades and wanted a second chance to share life with him and also to give him back to Lenora, who missed him desperately. All that is in "Forever in Time." :)

Anyway, back to Meadow and Lenora. Sure, I can go ahead and have Lenora write her the letter after she sees her profile online. Sounds like a plan to me. :) I'll go ahead and work on that now, along with her profile.

Oh, I'm doing this on "Simming With Sweetnightingale," which is the sweetnightingale.com one. It's the one where most of my short stories are. :)
    @CathyTea - I saw that and just got done reading it. :) I see Uncle Jasper is going to get in on the action, too! If you need a pen pal for him, I have someone that would suit him. Lenora's Grandda Liam could be a pen pal for him. Liam grew old and died but was brought back, made young, and was given immortality by his now wife, Mathilda, who is, in my stories, the most powerful witch who ever lived. Mathilda was secretly in love with him for decades and wanted a second chance to share life with him and also to give him back to Lenora, who missed him desperately. All that is in "Forever in Time." :)

Anyway, back to Meadow and Lenora. Sure, I can go ahead and have Lenora write her the letter after she sees her profile online. Sounds like a plan to me. :) I'll go ahead and work on that now, along with her profile.

Oh, I'm doing this on "Simming With Sweetnightingale," which is the sweetnightingale.com one. It's the one where most of my short stories are. :)

Yay!

Jasper would love to correspond with Liam. Jasper has recently been confronting his fears of mortality--so this will be perfect! :)

I've just listed your blog in the List of Stories.

So, we're all set! Be sure to tag me here when you write Jasper and Meadow, and they'll reply! :)

@CathyTea - Excellent! :) Awww yeah, Liam knows what it's like to be on "the other side," so he'll have some words of wisdom. Even so, it's never any fun to contemplate mortality.

Working on their profiles now so will get those letters us in just a bit. :)
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hiiii! This is still such a neat idea and I've now decided that I'd like to participate. And the Sim I chose for this is Emily Sato! For those who read Chrysanthemum Tango, this is going to be Emily about ten years after the current events of Tango, so she's in her teens. For those who don't read Tango (so most people? :D), well, then they can get to know Emily through a different perspective!

Also before I start, I should ask, is it okay if I don't actually play her teen self much yet? And it's probably okay if my letters won't be game-driven, and that I'm just mostly pulling stuff out of my... mind? Also I'd prefer playing with aging off or maybe aging up when/if agreed on behind the scenes with the pen pal.

In case that's okay, I'm in. :smile:

I'll write a quick profile for her here for now, and make a better one later on my blog. Anyway, here goes:

wBoS4Xt.jpg
    Name: Emily Sato
    What I'm looking for in a pen pal: I'm mostly looking for just, well, friends I can share some experiences with and just talk with. I'm not very good at talking, but writing is easier - though I'm not that good at expressing my thoughts through writing either - so I was encouraged to try this as a way of opening up a bit and finding new people to talk to.

I live in Riverview with a family that has one biological kid and three adopted kids. I'm one of the adopted ones, and the youngest in the family. I like reading, music, nature, and I'm interested in paranormal stuff. I also like learning about all kinds of people.

-
    Well, that's it for now. Who wants to take Emily as their pen pal? I feel like she'd get along interestingly with pretty much everyone.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    @CathyTea and everyone - Got Lenora's profile done and put up on my blog. You can find it here. :)
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    I wanna join! I don't have a Sim yet, but I could make one next time I play.
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
    @CathyTea - Alrighty then, here we go! Hope you enjoy and I hope Meadow likes her new pen pal. :)

Lenora's First Letter
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Okay so I was going to go to sleep first but then this whole thing consumed me for a while. So here's Emily's more complete profile:
    Emily's Profile

Okay, now I'm going to sleep. Bye!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm writing Seth's intro now. Here's a pic! :)

tumblr_ojsb9rBioA1riev15o1_540.png

Don't let his smile fool you.

He already has one penpal. I may be able to handle just one more, if anyone else is up to it. He needs someone willing to deal with someone who is a bit odd and who is deeply existentially depressed and isolated and lacking in meaning.

Here's the first bit of his intro, to give you an idea of what you would be getting into.

tumblr_ojsgldog331riev15o1_540.png
    The sun is trying to eat me.

I go outside sometimes, and I walk in its light. It shines in my eyes, relentlessly. It gives me headaches.

This morning I am safely inside. I sit down at the desk in our bedroom, in front of a window. I feel the sunlight on my face. Tasting my skin. It makes the computer screen hard to see.

But it still has not devoured me.

Not yet.
    Post edited by MedleyMisty on
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
    @RipuAncestor Emily! I'm so excited! :) I'll give others a chance to sign up first (since Meadow and Jasper both have a few pen pals) but once I feel caught up, maybe I'll see if Emily still has a few slots open! :)

I wanna join! I don't have a Sim yet, but I could make one next time I play.

Sounds great, @SeaDragonSong ! Once you get your Sim done, then just let us know her name. Feel free to look through the list of participants, and if you see any openings you like, just let us know here on this thread!

Here is the profile for Liam Kelly.

Liam's Profile

Lenora's last name is Landgraab if I didn't say that before. :)
    edited January 2017
    Looking for Pen Pals

lenora-writing-1.jpg?w=768&h=461
    Lenora Landgraab

Lenora is an immortal witch who is happily married to an immortal werewolf. She has 5 grown children, 1 with her now deceased first husband and 4 with her second husband, Tyrone. She is also the grandmother of 4 grown grandsons and 3 adopted granddaughters. Lenora has been through a lot in her life and often feels as though she's lived at least five lifetimes. What she is looking for in a pen pal is very open; she sill be friends with anyone who wishes to have her friendship, and she is kindness and compassion itself. Lenora simply wants to partake in a meaningful and full correspondence with anyone, no matter their walk of life.

liam.jpg?w=768&h=461
    Liam Kelly

Liam is an old Irishman in a young man's body, having died in his old age and was brought back and made young and immortal by his wife, Mathilda, who is (in my stories) the most powerful witch (also immortal) who ever lived. Liam likes the old ways but isn't so set in his ways that he turns a blind eye to new ideas. After all, he is ageless and will remain alive in a forever changing world. He likes imaginative people who aren't afraid to believe there is more out there than just simply what the eye can see. He's looking for pen pals who have new ideas but can respect, even love, the old ways and who haven't forgotten the core values of decency, mutual respect, and courtesy. He wants to correspond with people who enjoy talking about life and everything it entails. He admires and respects people who work hard, no matter what job or project they are taking on. The light of Liam's life is his wee Lenora, the granddaughter he raised from babyhood after her parents were killed. He is a strong believer in the family bond and adores spending as much time as he can with his dear ones.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that both Lenora and Liam have one pen pal but they each can handle 2-3. Also, if anyone else needs a pen pal, I can pull out another Sim or two.
  • XantheanmarXantheanmar Posts: 445 Member
    Dove Singer is looking for pen pals too now! I've posted her full application on Wordpress (blog name InsaneSims), but the out-of-story stuff is here:
    Dove is an Alien currently outposted in San Myshuno, working at FutureSim labs. Her job is, among other things, to collect genetic and environmental information. While she's not going to say so, she will be collecting information from her pen pals to further her research.
    Dove also has some troubles ahead in life- her interests ARE going to change from the purely scientific. I look forward to seeing who she'll meet!
    41tidg8.jpg
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    Not at the moment but when Gen 6 happens since a penpal/money donor for Cinder-Selene since she technically works for room &Board with her guardians (who are also distance cousins) and no money.
    6adMCGP.gif
    @RipuAncestor This girl, Giuliana Kruse, would like to be pen pals with Emily.

giuliana01.png

• mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    I am very tempted to put Rose Hatcher in this, but since she is very near the end of her lifespan (and I wouldn't want to write outside of the normal flow of her story... aka "freeze aging") that would probably be a bit of a downer, wouldn't it? : - P
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
    I am very tempted to put Rose Hatcher in this, but since she is very near the end of her lifespan (and I wouldn't want to write outside of the normal flow of her story... aka "freeze aging") that would probably be a bit of a downer, wouldn't it? : - P

It could be pretty awesome! My Sims' slots are full up, but I bet there are a few here who would enjoy writing to Rose!