The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Olympus UI and Multiplayer Code in The Sims 4

TwistedMexicanTwistedMexican Posts: 652 Member
Hey guys. The Sims Mobile has stirred up some discussion about Olympus so I decided to go ahead and look into it deeper. I'm glad I did.

You can check out my post on SimsVIP, if you're so inclined.
[Sims 4 Cheat Resource] || [My Mods - Base Game] || [My Mods - Expansions]
[Lifetime Skills || Set Age || Full House ||Persistent FullEditMode || Persistent TestingCheats || DayWalker Vampires]

I'm now on Twitter. I'd love it if you joined me there :)

Comments

• brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    yeah its an interesting read and makes me seriously think they chose a really horrible time to release the sims moible cuz yeah its opening a bunch of can of worms. cuz from what i understand there is no real reason the game in its current state can not handle an a create a style like in the sims 3 and an open world!
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    no wonder they practically ported it to mobile. Now the question is, were they actually trying their best to convert it to a single player game, or was it still kept purposely gimped for mobile?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2017
    Hey guys. The Sims Mobile has stirred up some discussion about Olympus so I decided to go ahead and look into it deeper. I'm glad I did.

I knew some of that but sure appreciate actually seeing it. Thank you TwistedMexican. Nothing like seeing it for one's self.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Writin_Reg wrote: »

I knew some of that but sure appreciate actually seeing it. Thank you TwistedMexican. Nothing like seeing it for one's self.
    yeah same but to be honest actually i kind of wish i did not see some it unless i am missunderstanding something. cuz from what i understand there is no reason in the current state the base game should not have have had a create a style or been made into an open world.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2017
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    yeah its an interesting read and makes me seriously think they chose a really horrible time to release the sims moible cuz yeah its opening a bunch of can of worms. cuz from what i understand there is no real reason the game in its current state can not handle an a create a style like in the sims 3 and an open world!

Actually looking at the programming I see - the heart of the game is Olympus - even if it is disabled. It also tells me they have not changed out the engine as it was stated early on either - which I find perplexing now.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Excellent write up!! @TwistedMexican
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited May 2017
    I saw the SimsVIP article, so thanks @TwistedMexican for the explanations and sharing. :)
    I've seen many comments of - "No Way.. / Impossible..." , and even recently, "Stop saying it because it's just not true...".
    Isn't this a good amount of evidence?
    I find it interesting to see how much can be found hiding inside our games. :D
    But I also wonder if some of those "leftovers"/unused game code, contribute to game bloat, and eventual game lag?... :*
  • TwistedMexicanTwistedMexican Posts: 652 Member

There's no reason why they couldn't add it except for the fact it's the type of thing you need to design from the beginning. The sims 3 objects have several "layers" to them, which allowed you to do things like pick colors for bed sheets, bed frame, etc. The sims 4 objects, because they weren't designed with this feature in mind, use a single texture file. There is no interactive layer for color changes. Every single object would have to be redone to support it at this point.

Open would could have been done except the core of the game's functionality was designed the way it is currently. It would have probably delayed the release greatly to have rebuild the household data structure and traveling system.

I know that's not exactly awesome news, but hope that helps explain why it is the way it is.
    [Lifetime Skills || Set Age || Full House ||Persistent FullEditMode || Persistent TestingCheats || DayWalker Vampires]

edited May 2017
    I saw the SimsVIP article, so thanks @TwistedMexican for the explanations and sharing. :)
    I've seen many comments of - "No Way.. / Impossible..." , and even recently, "Stop saying it because it's just not true...".
    Isn't this a good amount of evidence?
    I find it interesting to see how much can be found hiding inside our games. :D
    But I also wonder if some of those "leftovers"/unused game code, contribute to game bloat, and eventual game lag?... :*

Heya, nah I highly doubt any of it is active. It's likely just scraps that they didn't clean up so as far as the game engine is concerned, they might as well not exist.

mirta000 wrote: »
    no wonder they practically ported it to mobile. Now the question is, were they actually trying their best to convert it to a single player game, or was it still kept purposely gimped for mobile?

The Sims Mobile is a completely different game from The Sims 4. It uses an engine from EA's Firemonkey studios. So other than models/textures, none of the engine's code from TS4 was ported to mobile. It was likely time constraints from the design pivot that resulted in the lack of features, not any intentional decision.

edited May 2017
    There's no reason why they couldn't add it except for the fact it's the type of thing you need to design from the beginning. The sims 3 objects have several "layers" to them, which allowed you to do things like pick colors for bed sheets, bed frame, etc. The sims 4 objects, because they weren't designed with this feature in mind, use a single texture file. There is no interactive layer for color changes. Every single object would have to be redone to support it at this point.

Open would could have been done except the core of the game's functionality was designed the way it is currently. It would have probably delayed the release greatly to have rebuild the household data structure and traveling system.

I know that's not exactly awesome news, but hope that helps explain why it is the way it is.

I don't see why a sewing machine object couldn't be an option like it was in TS2. If you got good at sewing, you could select the shape, pattern and colour of clothing and then make it. A lot of shapes were the shapes of old already existing clothing, but this allowed you to have it in far more colours and patterns (kind of like a primitive create a style).

Obviously it wouldn't even be all clothing, let alone objects, but it would allow us a primitive limited create a style functionality that even TS2 was capable of.

I don't see why a sewing machine object couldn't be an option like it was in TS2. If you got good at sewing, you could select the shape, pattern and colour of clothing and then make it. A lot of shapes were the shapes of old already existing clothing, but this allowed you to have it in far more colours and patterns (kind of like a primitive create a style).

Obviously it wouldn't even be all clothing, let alone objects, but it would allow us a primitive limited create a style functionality that even TS2 was capable of.

That sounds interesting, I don't recall that. Could you link a video of it? I couldn't find any of how it actually functions.

That sounds interesting, I don't recall that. Could you link a video of it? I couldn't find any of how it actually functions.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Sewing

"After selecting "Custom Outfit...", the player will be able to choose which gender and life stage to make it for. Instead of a "mannequin" figure, the dialog will display an outline of the outfit with three color-coded areas. Each area will have a set of six textures that can be chosen for it; while this may not seem like much, it allows 216 (6x6x6) possible combinations for each outfit. However, the player's choices will not appear on the outline, so the player cannot preview the outfit. The custom outfits for toddlers and children use the same style and texture choices for boys and girls."

don't think I have footage of it currently, but I think I should totally level sewing in my let's play now :D

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Sewing

"After selecting "Custom Outfit...", the player will be able to choose which gender and life stage to make it for. Instead of a "mannequin" figure, the dialog will display an outline of the outfit with three color-coded areas. Each area will have a set of six textures that can be chosen for it; while this may not seem like much, it allows 216 (6x6x6) possible combinations for each outfit. However, the player's choices will not appear on the outline, so the player cannot preview the outfit. The custom outfits for toddlers and children use the same style and texture choices for boys and girls."

don't think I have footage of it currently, but I think I should totally level sewing in my let's play now :D

I'll have to reinstall TS2 and try it out, maybe it's something I could add. Who knows, it might be coming with the Family pack. :)

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Thank you for putting this in simpler language @TwistedMexican. Now I can lurk with a little more understanding.
    egTcBMc.png
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Thank you for putting this in simpler language @TwistedMexican. Now I can lurk with a little more understanding.

I try my best :) I know it's easy for eyes to glaze over reading into such things.

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Thanks for this @TwistedMexican , but I kinda wish I hadn't read it. lol Because it makes me even madder, because the majority of simmers didn't jump on board TSO when they gave us free copies way back when. We simply pleaded with them to never try to make the Sims an online game ever again, and yet that was the whole intent with Sims 4. Really sad, because this is what we are left with today. A very limiting game because they had a "vision".
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

yeah same but to be honest actually i kind of wish i did not see some it unless i am missunderstanding something. cuz from what i understand there is no reason in the current state the base game should not have have had a create a style or been made into an open world.

Create a Style? Maybe.

Open world? Doubtful. In order to implement open world in Sims 4 i believe they would have to completely redo the whole engine of Sims 4. An engine takes a lot of time to create, also transferring all the other content onto a new engine would take loads of time and resource. They might as well just make a new game with that time and money spent.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Wow, fascinating confirmation! Thanks for sharing!
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited May 2017
    @jackjack_k see it is real.
    giphy_1.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Yes! I made new clothes for my Sim and new curtains. I can never have too many curtains!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2017

Excellent read! You provided in a very articulate way why we have these limitations we have tried to explain to people for three years (almost). With the tech speak it should make it clearer to players why people were able to discern these things for themselves without having any programming and or modding background, but pure common sense. :D
    edited May 2017
    So basically, because it was developed as an online game in the beginning, they couldn't / didn't want to include some things (like CASt, open worlds,...) from Sims 3?
    Well, then let's hope that they won't even try to make Sims 5 a multiplayer game too.

Pretty much. It seems when they pivoted, they basically had enough time to adapt the server/client they had to a completely local game and that's it.

I think SimCity has become a cautionary tale and that TS4 was just on too tight of a schedule to successfully pivot. I don't think they'll attempt always-online with TS5 (but who knows :open_mouth: )

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    > @brendhan21 said:
    > yeah its an interesting read and makes me seriously think they chose a really horrible time to release the sims moible cuz yeah its opening a bunch of can of worms. cuz from what i understand there is no real reason the game in its current state can not handle an a create a style like in the sims 3 and an open world!

Yes I have noticed a few cans of worms being opened up as well. :(

I also agree that CASt and Open World should make an appearance but of course, they won't :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Cinebar wrote: »

Excellent read! You provided in a very articulate way why we have these limitations we have tried to explain to people for three years (almost). With the tech speak it should make it clearer to players why people were able to discern these things for themselves without having any programming and or modding background, but pure common sense. :D

well i actually feel like they should not have tired to it that way in the first place its kind of their fault we ended up with the game we have in the first place.