Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Virtual Reality

Apparently TS5 *might* include some type of VR technology, allowing players to experience the game through the eyes of their Sims: http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/24505/20161219/sims-5-rumors-updates-2017-release-date-virtual-reality-360.htm

This doesn't seem to me like what most players were asking for. It seemed to me like most people were asking for a smooth, high-quality combination of TS2 and TS3. Are you guys excited about this possibility? Or do you feel like this would be another step in the wrong direction for the Sims franchise?

Comments

• Options
    dmel15dmel15 Posts: 572 Member
    Horrible decision. No one was asking for that, and it alienates people who don't have virtual reality stuff.

They just need to give us a combination of the best things from sims 2, 3, and even sims 4.
  • Options
    VirtualPets65VirtualPets65 Posts: 133 Member
    No. Just no. EA needs to make Sims 5 a combo of Sims 1-4 for PCs and Macs, not for virtual reality or smart phones.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    LOL Here we go again...

The devs come up with some idea that people do not want and then make a mad dash to change it back to a normal sim game when people refuse to buy it. We get another failure. Maybe this time they cut out toddlers and babies. I am glad I am not getting my hopes up for Sims 5 anyways. I have realized they will never get back to the greatness of Sims 2 or 3.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    sorry op if ever i decide to buy the sims5 it needs to be 1 offline 2 very diffrent from past sims game and be a major wow and be an offline game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    playeralyalyweklplayeralyalywekl Posts: 1,345 Member
    Does VR have to be online? I have no idea how that works.

Oh my goodness, imagine how expensive the game would be if it was a VR game....
  • Options
    PandaPillowPandaPillow Posts: 34 Member
    I'd like a sims that makes me get off of my butt. If they can do that through VR I won't complain.
  • Options
    I'd like a sims that makes me get off of my butt. If they can do that through VR I won't complain.

All of a sudden I'm imagining myself with a VR headset on, walking into random stuff in RL as I virtually go around my Sims' house :D
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Well if that is the way they are going for Sims 5, then I guess I wont be buying it.
  • Options
    brntwafflesbrntwaffles Posts: 130 Member
    This will never happen because EA wants to make sure people can play the sims on toasters.

The sims is barely optimized for a decent gaming rig, I highly doubt they would build an engine for a top of the line technology few can afford.
  • Options
    This will never happen because EA wants to make sure people can play the sims on toasters.

The sims is barely optimized for a decent gaming rig, I highly doubt they would build an engine for a top of the line technology few can afford.

You might be right. But they might be future-oriented and thinking that by the time they release TS5, VR will have caught on. Like smartphones.
  • Options
    HonestlyBenjaminHonestlyBenjamin Posts: 381 Member
    Well unless you can't make physical contact with anything in anyway it'll be ok like imagine pushing a plate off the table as a kid and getting locked in your room. My question is how are social interactions going to work?
  • Options
    MingYangYoMingYangYo Posts: 362 Member
    No thanks I might wander into traffic. Dangerous
    Let me in I got a heart of gold

L2Oe8ie.jpg
  • Options
    LyniaSCLyniaSC Posts: 1,021 Member
    I mean, it'd be kind of cool, but not practical. I don't think they should go for that, at least not this time around. They should really focus on just creating a decent game first.
  • Options
    scurvycapnscurvycapn Posts: 12 New Member
    As someone with an HTC Vive, I think this would be a neat addition. Obviously, it wouldn't be a core gameplay feature as VR technology and adoption rate is still in its infancy. Big studios right now aren't making fully VR games, but experiences. If they did include any VR functionality, I'd imagine it would be more along the lines of walking around your lots (which would be cool). I can't even fathom what having a full VR experience for the entire game would be like. I think we'd see the return of news articles about neglected children due to people getting too immersed in their videogame worlds (think MMOs last decade).
  • Options
    awareaware Posts: 16 Member
    scurvycapn wrote: »
    As someone with an HTC Vive, I think this would be a neat addition. Obviously, it wouldn't be a core gameplay feature as VR technology and adoption rate is still in its infancy. Big studios right now aren't making fully VR games, but experiences. If they did include any VR functionality, I'd imagine it would be more along the lines of walking around your lots (which would be cool). I can't even fathom what having a full VR experience for the entire game would be like. I think we'd see the return of news articles about neglected children due to people getting too immersed in their videogame worlds (think MMOs last decade).

That sounds cool! I don't think I could have handled a full sims VR :sweat_smile:
    But maybe in addition to lots you could also see yours sims (not really doing anything but it'd be cool to see them)
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited December 2016
    I actually like this feature, however I think TS5 would have to be properly completed and appeal to all core playstyles before the Sims team experiment with this, and it'd have to be an optional feature of course.

Also, that article is a complete mess. TS5 being released in 2017, since when? Also Sims was released in 2000 not 2002 :/
  • Options
    colbyfromagecolbyfromage Posts: 268 Member

Also, that article is a complete mess.

Definitely to be taken with a grain of salt, that article! 2017 release? Hearty laughter abounds!

As far as TS5 being VR? Could be pretty cool. I'll believe it when I see it from an actual source.

• Options
    RilaeRilae Posts: 35 Member
    I think it could be interesting if was more of an optional add-on type thing. Never know how ubiquitous VR will be by the time it's released.
  • Options
    XorzhaanXorzhaan Posts: 92 Member
    Wasn't there something in one of the sims when you could play thru your sims eyes? Maybe I am thinking of making movies with your sims or something like that. It could just basically be an expansion of that. If they made you use a game pad as well, that would allow all the controls.

I could see it as being neat but that's about it. Being able to explore your sims world as them would be cool and all but day to day life would be dull.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    No...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    @Xorzhaan You might be thinking of Sims: That's Life 2. It was a program/game where you could walk around a store and buy custom content for your game. I remember you could buy clothes and stuff from a first person point of view. I don't remember if it was for the Sims 1 or 2 though...
  • Options
    CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    I doubt this would be the new technology of the sims, it would just be a writer wanting to get their views into the game and making people agree to disagree with this. If it were to be true then more people would be writing about it and what their views would be if virtual reality were to become a thing within the sims franchise.
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited December 2016
    The Sims 5, which is set to be released in 2017.
    I stopped reading after this ^

That said..
    The Sims seems like a natural fit for VR tech.
    I could easily see them making a "Sims brand" VR game of some type in the future.

Doubt we'd see it in the next "numbered" iteration though.
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited December 2016
    Seems like one of those baseless rumour articles, but if anyone from EA is reading this, and it wasn't already obvious, VR IS A TERRIBLE IDEA! xD DON'T DO IT (not as a main instalment anyway)!

Honestly though, you should take that article with a handful of salt; it doesn't seem too reliable, and I was getting dodgy pop-ups GALORE on that website!
  • Options
    Broncos4lifeBroncos4life Posts: 11,798 Member
    I guess this would be a cool feature, but not for the entire game! Maybe an app to go along with the pc/mac version that you could use VR with, but there's no way they'd make their money back if it was simply VR. TS5 in general would have to be super amazing for me to but anyway...

As for the article, it lost all legitimacy in my mind the second I read the first game was released in 2002 :D. TS4 is no where near complete with expansions, and there's no way TS5 should be released within the next couple years. This is a Life Simulator game. It should not be considered complete without a weather/seasons expansion, pets, cars, toddlers..... the list goes on and on
    Do you like solving a mystery? Come join a mafia game!
    Link: here!

71t7p4hX88L._AC_SL1500_.jpg