Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Ideal Family Tree (Genealogy) Interface for TS4

I love looking at family Trees (Genealogy) in Sims game because they represent all your hard work and long game play whether you are playing a legacy, rotationally or just a single family.

The current genealogy interface we have is similar to the previous games but why it should be similar when the game got a more sleek interface itself?

The current family tree we have in Sims 4 suffer from several problems (Besides how culling breaks it). I want to discuss the interface of the family tree. As you can see from the ingame family tree of Katrina Caliente.

Old%20Family%20tree.jpg~original

The Problems:

1- When you click on the family tree you get this small square. Why? why the square is not bigger to show more icons and make all that space on the screen useful? Yes you can drag the tree inside the square to see all the sim icons specially if the tree is big horizontally, but it would be really nice to have a bigger space.

2- Sim icons are very small. The game has better icons for the sims already. There are the icons of the new calls from Get Together which are much much nicer if used for the family tree.
New%20Calls.jpg~original

3- Dead sims are showing all as ghosts and it is so annoying. Their icons can hardly be recognized. They all look same and to me personally their icons or empty white boxes are similar. Why we can't have black and white icons of the sims so we can recognize them? I hated this since it was made in TS3. TS2 has better icons for dead sims. Below is an example how it will look when all dead sims are showing ghost icons.
Sample%20for%20dead%20sims.png~original

My Ideal Family Tree Interface:

Ideal%20Family%20Tree.jpg~original

As you can see from the picture where Katrina is selected:
1- The new square covers the maximum of screen space. This will allow and makes it easier to have more sims icons and information available without the need to drag.

2- Dragging should still be there in case there is a very large family with many kids (horizontally) but in addition to this as you can see there is zoom in (+) and zoom out (-) options on the upper left side. This will help to look at the bigger picture fast.

3- Sims icons are much bigger and much nicer than what we have now. I have used the new calls icons which are very gorgeous. The game has them for all the sims so it would be nice to have them for the family tree instead of the current icons.

4- Katrina's mother is dead as you can see. Her icon is in black and white. No ghost icons.

5- In addition to all the above I would love if our active sims get the option where they can ask NPCs of their family tree. Something like "Show me your family tree" and the family tree of that NPC will pop up. This would be a great addition to the game.

6- All hover over sim information should be retained in the new family tree interface.

I love beautiful interfaces and would be really happy if the developers/gurus give an interface update to the family tree.
What do you think?

Note: you might need to click on the full screen pics to see them in their actual sizes.
Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
giphy.gif

Comments

• HimynameisHimynameis Posts: 336 Member
    I'd love an update to the family trees too. But I think they really really really need to fix the culling beforehand. But I do like your design, I just hope they keep the same background because it's awesome in my opinion.
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I love your design for it, it's looks cool!
    and I agree with everything you said :)
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • 0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    Apart from the simple background, I much prefer your design.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    The devs definitely need to take notes from you on this
  • gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    The devs definitely need to take notes from you on this

Agreed 100%!
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Oh yes, asking other sims about their family tree? That'd be great. I wouldn't have to sneakily peek at their trees by moving them into houses or having to play them for like 3 minutes to look at where they came from.
    I agree that the icons should be more noticeable and that they'd all look the same from one another when they're ghosts in the thumbnail. Nice interface! I just hope there was a way to let the in game family trees retain information even when sims are gone, though. It would be nice to not get so many calls from ghosts about a newborn baby when they've been dead for so long D:
  • sophtasticsophtastic Posts: 610 Member
    toddddddllleeeeerrrrrrrssss
    tumblr_n0qwctD0MN1sb146lo1_400.gif
  • colbyfromagecolbyfromage Posts: 268 Member
    The designer in me would prefer the square-ish icons because they more easily fit in place when a family tree gets large and complicated. Circles aren't as neat or as easy to digest the gist of the tree at a glance, however I do like the idea of a larger screen for the FT plus larger icons. Also, not having them as ghosts would be nice.

What if instead of black and white, when Sims were deceased, their icons just sort of went partially sepia? So you can still have a faded bit of color in order to quickly identify features, but you know they're dead?

Another option for dead Sims is for their icon frame to indicate death somehow. A grey frame for dead, white frame for still living.

Family trees need to be completely disassociated in the code from game population in order to remove culling from the tree. It should be its own set of data.
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    That moment when one person can do much better than a whole team....I am impressed. I AM LOVING IT!
    GoodJob.gif~c200
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I'm glad many of you guys agree with me and yes I think the interface should be updated after the family tree's link is removed from culling
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • IsadoraExplorerIsadoraExplorer Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2016
    I really like the design!

Great work :D
    I really like the design!

Great work :D

Thank you. I hope EA and Maxis take note of this.
    They have the tools already.
    giphy.gif
  • Raddish4Raddish4 Posts: 54 Member
    I wish we could also have a switch that would show all the people as children and as teens (and as toddlers...). This way I could compare how the genetics is being passed on. The portrait of the selected sim should be way bigger as well. And yes, the ability to see them as non-ghosts would be much appreciated.
  • quincylfquincylf Posts: 32 Member
    I 100% agree! I love having the genealogy option and have always used them and, while i was happen when they released it for TS4, it left me wanting more! I hate looking at them as ghosts! I also wish that there was an option to see the elder/dead sims as YA or Adult because I love to compare how my first generations look compared to the generation when I end a legacy family or just to see how genetics progress within the family. Its not always easy to tell with the elder/dead sims, especially if they are in ghost state.
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    The designer in me would prefer the square-ish icons because they more easily fit in place when a family tree gets large and complicated. Circles aren't as neat or as easy to digest the gist of the tree at a glance, however I do like the idea of a larger screen for the FT plus larger icons. Also, not having them as ghosts would be nice.

What if instead of black and white, when Sims were deceased, their icons just sort of went partially sepia? So you can still have a faded bit of color in order to quickly identify features, but you know they're dead?

Another option for dead Sims is for their icon frame to indicate death somehow. A grey frame for dead, white frame for still living.

Family trees need to be completely disassociated in the code from game population in order to remove culling from the tree. It should be its own set of data.

These are really great ideas. @halimali1980, while I do agree with you the family tree could stand to be improved, I agree with @colbyfromage that the icons should be squares and not circles. Also, I think the problem with making deceased Sims black and white is it could be hard to tell if they were deceased or if they were still living as a ghost in the neighborhood.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻

These are really great ideas. @halimali1980, while I do agree with you the family tree could stand to be improved, I agree with @colbyfromage that the icons should be squares and not circles. Also, I think the problem with making deceased Sims black and white is it could be hard to tell if they were deceased or if they were still living as a ghost in the neighborhood.

Thank you,
    I used the circular icons because those icons are from Get Together calls. I could not make them square. All I want EA to do is to use the beautiful portraits as they are big, If they can make the same portraits into squares that would be a plus.

Regarding the dead and ghosts there can be many options they can use, I am suggesting black and white icon for the dead because ghosts icons makes dead sims cannot be recognized. Not all dead sims are ghosts and you cannot say who is the sim you are looking at. Their faces are not clear.
    for dead sims they can use black and white portrait, for ghosts they can use black and white portrait with a small ghost icon on the side of the portrait to know the sim is a ghost.
    giphy.gif
  • RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    Awesome design !!! Totally agree with everything !
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • uzumouzumo Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited March 2016
    This could have been fixed a long time ago --- such a nuisance. Dead sims on the family tree should show color, too, so that they are recognizable. Only difference is that dead sims' icons say "deceased". Black and white on dead sims' photos looks boring.
  • LevkoniLevkoni Posts: 15 Member
    Agree with everything! I also hate that deceased sims are showing as a ghosts. And the sims portrays are to small and it's difficult to see details of faces. How I can compare the faces of family mebres if they are too small?
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Definitely! Also, it would be nice, if Sims that were married don't seem like they are divorced. I really need good, elaborate family trees! I find them so interesting!