Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moving My Games To My Bigger Second Hard Drive

Recently I've started to run out of room on my C:/ Drive on my computer (it has about 104GB of total storage). I only have about 19GB left thanks to my Sims 3 games, The Sims 4, and everything else I had installed. Recently I got a second hard drive installed for more room (2TB), which is a lot. Since I'm running out of room on my first hard drive I was thinking about moving The Sims 4 to the second hard drive as it's just the base game on its own with all the latest updates and no downloaded or custom content or mods. However, if I moved The Sims 4, will I have to move Origin and The Sims 3 and other Origin associated software to my other hard drive as well to make it work, as I need Origin to run The Sims 3, The Sims 4, Bejeweled, and hopefully later on Medieval and SimCity. I know that you can't simply just copy and paste software to new places in the system, it doesn't work like that (apparently it can mess up software and stop it running properly). Do I need to uninstall all my Origin software and reinstall it into the new hard drive? How can I choose where to install it? How do I uninstall it correctly before I reinstall without mucking up my games? I need the space for future Origin games and future Sims 4 add ons, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Hi :)
    You can change the path of which origin installs games.. this will only effect the games after you changed the path, so whats installed now will stay put.
    open origin and click origin in the top left corner, then open application settings.
    Now under advanced.. change the path *your games will be installed to the following location*
    Now to move ts4 to this location without re downloading.. exit origin, cut and paste the sims 4 folder.. the one in program Files/ origin games.
    Paste it to the new directory path you changed in origin.
    Read more about moving it here.. this is the guide I followed and it worked. :
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2230136

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• PurpleNightOwlPurpleNightOwl Posts: 205 Member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for that post, I'm planning to do this very soon actually, before I install anything else (I want to install SimCity as well, and other games). I just have a few questions I need to ask before I do this because this seems quite a drastic thing to do and I've never ever done this before:
    1. Will I have to move Origin as well?
    2. What about any expansion packs? I'm specifically talking about The Sims 3 (I have eight expansion packs and five stuff packs installed at the moment)
    3. Does the original folder in the original location (in this case, my C: drive) automatically get deleted if I CUT and paste, not COPY? I take it copy and paste is wrong because the original folder will still exist after I've made the new folder?
    4. Will this affect my games? I mean, will it play just as before, with no hiccups or issues?
    5. Will the updates still be there (such as the pool update for The Sims 4)?
    6. Will this affect my computer as a whole (no crashes or errors or anything like that)?

Thanks!

Also, I watched a very good video on YouTube which helped a lot. He made it look very easy to do, as long as you followed his step-by-step instructions exactly as he said AND in the right order, and it wasn't long winded or half an hour long and he was straight to the point, so thank you to them as well as other people who helped me and other people with this task.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    1. Someone else can answer to that one, but from what I've seen Origin and the Sims want to be on the same hard drive. Personally, I would reinstall both rather than just move folders, so that files being built know for sure where they're pointing to.
    2. Expansions for Sims 4 will probably install automatically wherever you installed the game, but we don't know yet because there aren't any. I would assume that Sims 3 you also want to move everything so the game knows where everything is.
    3. Cut and paste deletes, yes, but uninstalling and reinstalling might be the better option.
    4. By all accounts, no.
    5. Yes, can't think why not.
    6. Shouldn't, no.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    1. Someone else can answer to that one, but from what I've seen Origin and the Sims want to be on the same hard drive. Personally, I would reinstall both rather than just move folders, so that files being built know for sure where they're pointing to.

Not really. Sims are installed on my HDD (d:, e:, f: - Origin games I've set to go on e: in a folder named Crapware >:)) but profile is on my SDD (c:). And it's working without a glitch like that. Unoptimized code and bugs aside.

Origin is also on my SSD.
    So, no need to move Origin from one disc or partition to another.
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    You can't simply cut and paste, and the documents portion of the games MUST remain on the boot drive unless you redirect the computer to place the documents folder on the other drive. You have to INSTALL the games on the new drive. Copy the documents folders to a safe location, uninstall, then reinstall on the other drive, then put the documents folders back. Your games and content should be there.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited November 2014
    Not really true about Origin installations...
    You can move whole Origin games folder on another drive or place as subfolder. Then you need to change it in Origin options.
    After that, yes, you have to use "install" for each game inside Origin, but Origin will detect the game is in a newly pointed folder and will not really download and install the game but will just verify files.

It's not userfriendly like backup/restore in Steam, I know, but this works. At least worked for me with several different Origin games.

But this only works for games folder(s). Subfolders with user data in Documents folder should remain inside it unless you decide to move whole Documents folder on another drive. You can't move just Sims 4 part, but have to move the whole Documents folder.

In any case the point is this.
    After you buy PC always organize it's drives and partitions first. Decide on your own how many partitions it'll have and what'll go inside them. Just an example:
    C: - OS (Windows) and frequently used apps (Origin client, Steamworks client, uPlay client, VLC, WinRAR, IrfanView, MS Office, etc)
    D: - games
    E: - rarely used software
    F: - suspicious downloads (pr0n and stuff)
    etc.

Make sure each of these drives or partitions is at least 100 Gb. Especially the games one, some recent unoptimized games (for example Wolfenstein reboot) need 50 Gb of space!
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    So, I suppose "backing everything up" won't fly. I mean not to play on more than one machine, but instead, if the computer I have all this on should.... get a visit from the Reaper (and forget pleading and Death Flowers, the Techie reaper has no soul) .. I'd like to be able to save my SIMS and the progress I have made developing them, their homes, and accomplishments.. so I wouldn't have to start all over on a new computer.

Yes, of course, it's only a game and the enjoyment of the "work" I am doing on my SIMS will always be there, so if this stuff isn't "back-uppable" (No, not a word!) no biggie-- I'll be.. umm.. "Fine" with it.

Just asking.
    edited November 2014
    > @PurpleNightOwl said:
    > Recently I've started to run out of room on my C:/ Drive on my computer (it has about 104GB of total storage). I only have about 19GB left thanks to my Sims 3 games, The Sims 4, and everything else I had installed.

Almost forgot. I have a 139 gB HDD and 88 gB left... Perhaps I ought to get a secondary HDD and re-start all this before I get too far along developing my SIMs

*(thinking ahead with regards to inevitable expansion packs. I played SIMS 1 years ago and this SIMS 4 is such a step up that I know the creative energies won't stop with the base game or a small set of enhancements.)*
    Miki wrote: »
    > @PurpleNightOwl said:<br />
    > Recently I've started to run out of room on my C:/ Drive on my computer (it has about 104GB of total storage). I only have about 19GB left thanks to my Sims 3 games, The Sims 4, and everything else I had installed. <br />
    <br />
    Almost forgot. I have a 139 gB HDD and 88 gB left... Perhaps I ought to get a secondary HDD and re-start all this before I get too far along developing my SIMs <br />
    <br />
    *(thinking ahead with regards to inevitable expansion packs. I played SIMS 1 years ago and this SIMS 4 is such a step up that I know the creative energies won't stop with the base game or a small set of enhancements.)*

I think that you should do it soon because you'll be like me, in a situation where I have to move my games like this, and for me now I've got about at least 17GB left so I'd better get a crack on!
    This is why my rig has dual 2 TB HDD, dual 650 GB SDD, and two 2 TB external hard drives LOL. Now if I could just remember where that 1GB of songs form the 80's is, and where my old fanfics I never finished are in this thing, we'd be fine. Yeah all drives at 50% capacity or more (one SSD is at 90% but, that's my recovery drive so, it can be that way.)
    > @DarkAmaranth1966 said:
    > This is why my rig has dual 2 TB HDD, dual 650 GB SDD, and two 2 TB external hard drives LOL. Now if I could just remember where that 1GB of songs form the 80's is, and where my old fanfics I never finished are in this thing, we'd be fine. Yeah all drives at 50% capacity or more (one SSD is at 90% but, that's my recovery drive so, it can be that way.)

Aren't they up to 3 TB by now?

BTW I'll heed your advice. If a computer keels over one can always save the drive, but somehow I don't think the game would load. It would be neat if they had all the "gameplay" changes in one handy "SavedData" file. (just as an example. Computer died? Move that one handy file over, and simply reinstall the game from the beginning (I have the "Game CD" version) . Then copy in the Saved data file and not skip a beat.

Meanwhile, Only one problem with those huge drives.. If the Hard Disk Reaper shows up -

That's a big basket and a whole lot of eggs :O
    Yeah they make bigger drives but, have had a couple of visits form the HDD Reaper in the past, I prefer not to have TOO much to try to ferret out of a dead drive when one goes.

As for moving, well moving the files is easy, it's convincing the new computer it's installed that's a bear, lots of registry values to create if you try it manually. Easier just to reinstall then merge the Documents portion form the old machine into the same location on the new one.

Of my last 5 machines 3, have suffered HDD failure, all except one had had the LAN card or internal modem (when we used such things) fail, 3 have had RAM failures and, I lost count of the GPUs (graphics cards) I've fried over the years. A computer for me needs everything to be easily replaceable because if it can be killed, I'll find a way to do it sooner or later LOL. (I tend to ask the beasts to do what they claim they can't do, like making an old IBM laptop run TS2 not so many years ago - it was on Win. Millenium LOL)
    edited November 2014
    > @DarkAmaranth1966 said:
    . . .(I tend to ask the beasts to do what they claim they can't do, like making an old IBM laptop run TS2 not so many years ago - it was on Win. Millenium LOL)

Oh Windows ME. That would have been a trip had XP not come out on its heels. I was in high school back then and just getting into this stuff (what I now do for a living, although not from a mechanical perspective).
    Except SIMS I'm not much of a gamer so I haven't fried any video cards, but I am running SIMS with a card that's "not supported"-- ( a somewhat elderly computer as "elderly" goes with these contraptions) -And I'm running it just in Laptop Mode. The SIMS and their surroundings still look really good so I don't think I'm missing much (NVIDIAs or other creatures of that nature do tend to be expensive! This is a fun hobby but unless I find a way to "motherlode" or "kaching" in real life, I'll back-burner the more expensive upgrades. :neutral_face: :

Thanks for the "Documents Merge" idea. I do that with other stuff when I have a folder with more up-to-date files on one computer than another. It simply asks me if I want to "replace existing files", overwriting the older copies. I may try that here. If I "lose all my work" ths far it'll be a bummer, but I'll survive with "tense" under my face for a while.

Reminds me, is there a "glitch report" thread anywhere in this vast space of SIMS user exchange?
    I was thinking, if I left The Sims 4 and it's updates where it is (I haven't moved it yet) and change the location of any feature installed games or updates to my other drive, will that work?
    P.S. I'm actually too scared to cut and paste my games into my other drive because it's such a big thing to mess up, but I know I might have to do it sooner or later to make more room on my main hard drive. The last thing I need is an overloaded hard drive because ultimately I won't be able to save my games or update anything.