Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 1 (with all expansions) can run in Windows 8.1, BUT. . . SOLVED (I HOPE)

hummingbird41556hummingbird41556 Posts: 921 Member
edited August 2014 in The Sims (2000)
I have been playing the Original Sims games, all expansions, in Windows 8. There is only ONE problem I've been having, now that I've got different screen sizes. If I try to play Sims 1 games in a window, it appears in the middle of my screen. Initially it looks great, but then when the loading screen goes black the black rectangle remains over the windowed game! I have been playing in full screen mode, and it really isn't all that bad, but I really prefer to play in a window. If anyone knows how I can fix this in Windows 8.1, I would appreciate the assistance! Some of my favorite Sims today, in Sims 3, are based on Sims I created (and recolored) in Sims 1 game. It's kind of fun to play the older games, but really, I would really like to play it in a window, because when playing full screen, if I need to do anything else on the computer, say answer a messenger message, the game goes all crazy after being shrunk so I can do whatever else I need to do, and I have to quit and reopen.

Thanks for any help!
Post edited by hummingbird41556 on

Comments

• hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    I don't entirely understand the problem you are having. Can you post a screenshot?

If you want to know how to play in windowed mode, that's an easy fix. Right-click on the shortcut, select properties, then it should be in the "shortcut" tab. There's a section that says target and the text is in quotes. At the end of that, add -w and it will play in windowed mode.
  • hummingbird41556hummingbird41556 Posts: 921 Member
    edited August 2014
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I had just taken a look at your problem with Sims 1 running on a Windows 8 system. And the only solution to your problem is either by updating Sims 1, or a mod of some kind. Sorry to say, that I don't see this problem getting fixed any time soon. Sorry hummingbird, I wish that I had better news for you. :(
    Something that might help you is an XP emulator. Then you could play in a window. But how to fix that issue you're having? I haven't seen it before, so the only thing I can suggest is playing with the options that are provided with the compatibility mode (like the color & screen resolution options, etc.).
    where do I find an XP emulator? LOL I now have a different issue. I had messed with compatibility and now I get this. . . https://facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=712773875436685&set=a.712241812156558.1073741828.100001122360337&type=3&theater
  • Stuart92Stuart92 Posts: 44 Member
    Windows 8 doesn't even read my Sims 1 disc...does your Windows 8 machine read the disc without having to change any settings?

You can get it to work by installing XP in Virtualbox but even this is a bit glitchy, but playable.
    I know I got one with windows 7. I'm using my phone now, but I'll look around soon. I think you checked the use 16 or 32 color mark. I can't remember, but it is something to that effect.

@stuart92 -- OP is 8.1 that might make a difference. You should try right clicking the disk in the Explorer menu and opening the disk files, then on auto run or install, run under compatibility & admin mode. If it can't even tell there are files on it, clean your disk perhaps?
    edited August 2014
    I'm running 8.1 also. No, Windows doesn't even acknowledge there is a disc in the drive, but emulating XP in Virtualbox does read the disc. I have the same issue with a number of old games.

Edit: Okay, for some reason it's reading the disc now so never mind...I'll try and install it in 8.1 and see if I'm getting the same issues as the OP.
    Okay I think I've solved this problem. When you launch the game and the black box appears, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and then press the back/cancel button and the black box should be gone! A bit annoying to have to do but it makes it playable.

Hope this works for you too.
    Stuart92 wrote: »
    Okay I think I've solved this problem. When you launch the game and the black box appears, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and then press the back/cancel button and the black box should be gone! A bit annoying to have to do but it makes it playable. <br />
    <br />
    Hope this works for you too.

That solution also works for Sims 3 -- the game gets dark when minimized.
    edited August 2014
    Thank you for that suggestion Stuart92! I am reinstalling the game now. It's installing just fine. I've never had a problem with 8.1 not realizing there was a disk in the drive (lucky me) but sometimes it takes a while to get it to open that disk. LOL I'll let you know how this turns out. I just think it is strange that the problem changed, and got worse, after I started messing with compatibility mode. Installing as admin and using xp compatibility. All is well, so far. If that black box shows up again, I'll try to remember how to get rid of it. I'm usually multi-tasking when I'm playing games, so it will be nice to have it in a window again. :)

OOOOOH, Base game for Sims 1 is almost installed. Silly that I get this excited about that old game, but it is still my favorite of all the Sims games!

Edit: THANK YOU!!!! yeah, it takes a moment, but control/alt/del does actually get rid of the black box! Game is up, functional and in a window too! I'm happy. :)
    Great! Glad it worked for you as well. :)

It runs really well once the black box is gone.
  • simmergirljadesimmergirljade Posts: 2 New Member
    My Sims 1 issue is the exact opposite of yours. I hate the black border. How do you get your game to play in fullscreen mode? I have tried the -f and ir didn't work for me.
  • gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    On mine, when I click on the shortcut, it gives me an option of 800x600 and 1200 something by 700 something to choose from. Does yours give any options?
  • simmergirljadesimmergirljade Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes they are both in a framed screen, though not full screen.
  • WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    If you press ctrl + alt + delete and then click out of the window that it takes you to, the black box covering the game will have disappeared.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif