Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What about better Personality System in TS4?

Hi,
What about the return of the Personality points in TS1 and TS2 according to their Zodiac Signs? i would love to edit them in CAS and i'm sure this System could even be improved with more degree of options to choose.
Personality_%26_Aspiration.png
Also, i've made a topic one time ago about the return of Interests, and i believe most Simmers want the return of those, definitely should make a comeback.
WdrHWfH.jpg

It's not good that the only things that can differ our Sims from another in TS3 are their Traits, and they're mostly underwhelming
So, i'd like more ways for us Simmers to personalize our Sims better.

Comments

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited May 2014
    I don't understand why they got rid of the personality points. Even if we had several sims with the same aspiration, they would still act different based on those points. And those points actually meant something, not like the lame traits we have now. I would love to see the two systems merged into a super-system.

I also would love to see interests return. Environmental factors that could actively change your sim, it also makes it so that there are incompatibilities for friends and relationships. It would definitely make the sims more unique. I really hope they went back to these systems, even if they are hidden and we don't get to control them completely.
  • howahkan319howahkan319 Posts: 213 Member
    edited May 2014
    I really enjoy traits. I think they give a fun spin on things, but I also like the personality points. I don't see why they couldn't do them both. Some personality traits determine if your Sim is nice or mean, but, you can still be "Good" but be mean and you can still be "Evil" and be friendly and nice.

Edit* I also want to see Aspirations come back. I know they are now, but I want a more TS2 feel. The Romance, Knowledge, Family, Popularity, Wealth, Grilled Cheese really gave sims depth.
  • peno11peno11 Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2014
    Personality points? No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no and no! Did I make myself clear enough? Traits are much better system to make more unique Sims, as long as there's enough interesting traits. What I am afraid, however, it seems they want to limit young adult (and possibly adult and elder too) Sims to only 3 traits. That will make lesser unique and interesting Sims than Sims 3 had :(
  • IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited May 2014
    I think i didn't left it clear though :P
    When i say Personality points should be back i'm not saying ''get rid of traits''
    Yeah, we can have both working together, and as Mstybl95 said they could merge all these to create a new, improved system.

TS3 Traits effects only 'trigger' when you're doing certain actions and are tied to just some of them, while if you get rid of them you'll basically have bland Sims with no personality.

• howahkan319howahkan319 Posts: 213 Member
    edited May 2014
    IcySlash wrote:
    I think i didn't left it clear though :P
    When i say Personality points should be back i'm not saying ''get rid of traits''
    Yeah, we can have both working together, and as Mstybl95 said they could merge all these to create a new, improved system.

TS3 Traits effects only 'trigger' when you're doing certain actions and are tied to just some of them, while if you get rid of them you'll basically have bland Sims with no personality.

Exactly. Being a Hopeless Romantic, Workoholic, Evil, Athletic and Friendly sim doesn't tell you whether or not they will be nice, or if they clean up after themselves, how fun they are, none of that.
    edited May 2014
    I probably did not make myself clear enough either. Personality points and traits are two different ways of doing the same thing. They are simply incompatible. I can' imagine how they can work together.
    edited May 2014
    I think what is even worse is that if I have a slob sim in TS3, he will still clean everything the moment it needs cleaning. In TS2, the house would be full of roaches before my sim even got the want to clean ad then they'd complain about it.

In TS3, the sims don't have any personality. They all do exactly the same thing and have exactly the same outcome.
    peno11 wrote:
    I probably did not make myself clear enough either. Personality points and traits are two different ways of doing the same thing. They are simply incompatible. I can' imagine how they can work together.

Than you aren't thinking hard enough. One system says what your sim is like, the other shows you. Those two systems can be merged.
    edited May 2014
    That would be overcomplicated where it's not necessary. The fact traits in Sims 3 weren't well thought doesn't mean the trait system is at fault. What you wrote with sloppy Sim in Sims 2 could actually work in Sims 3 with Slob trait if they made it right. And vice versa, no one guarantee that low neat points in Sims 4 will have the same result they did in Sims 2. Hence I think more thought trait system is better than complicating things with applying two different personality systems.
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited May 2014
    I am completely underwhelmed by the TS3 trait system and think that ANYTHING would have been better than that. Having Traits was a good idea but it was horribly implemented. The Personality points and Aspirations in TS2 was done much better.

I don't mind if TS4 has only 3 Traits - I just pray that the Traits actually affect game-play more than they do now. For example I would give up the Insane Trait if Sims with the Evil Trait could actually do evil things like steal candy from a child Sim. Is there anything lamer than taking an Evil Shower or an Evil Nap? I mean even the animations were the same!
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited May 2014
    I don't like that old system very much because it is based on the sim's astrological sign. If it wasn't, that would be great. Not everybody of the same astrological sign likes the same thing or has the same personality, despite what the local newspaper might tell you (really, I don't want to offend anyone that believes in astrology, but if you know two people of the same astrological sign that should be blatantly obvious).

In the end, if my personality points distribution makes my sim be of the sign of Aquarius, my sim will necessarily be more interested in Entertainment (if I remember it correctly), and I really hate that.

If the old system was brought back BUT it had nothing to do with astrological signs, that would be great.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited May 2014
    I would like a mix of both the personality points and the traits. However, I didn't like how in the Sims 2 the zodiac sign would change depending on how many personality points you have in which category. So if this does return, I would still like the zodiac signs to be separate like in the Sims 3. I would also like the interests to return but we should be able to pick what our Sims are interested in so we have more control over it. I think turn ons and turn off should return as well but more advanced.
  • moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited May 2014
    I don't see why points couldn't be added to traits for example:

Sim 1 is a slob but out of 10 only has 3 points so is not likely to completely destroy a household with slobby ways they might even clean once in a while however...
    Sim 2 is also a slob but has 10 points and is a complete slob... The house will be forever messy and they will refuse to clean.
    It would further the individuality of Sims if points were added to each trait~ :wink:
  • loyallyroyalloyallyroyal Posts: 353 Member
    edited May 2014
    moo11x wrote:
    I don't see why points couldn't be added to traits for example:

Sim 1 is a slob but out of 10 only has 3 points so is not likely to completely destroy a household with slobby ways they might even clean once in a while however...
    Sim 2 is also a slob but has 10 points and is a complete slob... The house will be forever messy and they will refuse to clean.
    It would further the individuality of Sims if points were added to each trait~ :wink:

I like this idea. For example, Carl Frederickson in "Up" would have traits such as "Good", "Family Oriented", and "Adventurous". Then on the personality points he would lean towards "neat, "shy", "serious" and "grouchy".

I believe if anything, combining these systems would help create more well rounded sims, just because you are an "evil" person doesn't mean that you aren't "nice/polite" or "outgoing"

Overall I wish they would of focused on reworking personalities, rather than emotions. I would like to be able to watch my sims go about the world and be able to pick out different personality traits. For example, an outgoing sim would walk around town acknowledging people as he goes by, and a shy sim would look down at her shoes when walking by people she didn't know.
  • Molie86Molie86 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2014
    All sims in TS2 had a baseline personality you would have to be at either 1-3 points or 7-10 points for sims to actually display extreme traits.

If the traits are properly implemented this time especially with the emotions system in place they would make the sims actions and reactions a lot more real.

I cannot wait to see the actual emotional game play unscripted. That is what interests me most about TS4.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2014
    I think the traits system is just fine, I do agree though they should be much more affective to the sim's behaviour.
    A personality system linked to zodiac signs I wouldn't like at all.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • jus1nickiejus1nickie Posts: 360 Member
    edited May 2014
    Yo I like the ideas in here! Also turn ons and turn offs should be brought back but more advanced. I wonder if EA/MAXIS ever think of ideas like the fans do. I just hope the sims 4 traits/personality isn't recycled from the sims 3...but from the looks of things it is...I hope I'm wrong.
    edited May 2014
    In TS2 the zodiac sign set a baseline for their personality. You could tweak it to your hearts desire. In TS3 the zodiac sign meant nothing. Don't even know why it is there actually.
  • Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited May 2014
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    In TS2 the zodiac sign set a baseline for their personality. You could tweak it to your hearts desire. In TS3 the zodiac sign meant nothing. Don't even know why it is there actually.

That's a great example of the difference between TS2 and TS3:

TS2:

"We came up with this thoughtfully designed system that is both intuitive and well-integrated into the gameplay."

TS3:

"LOL OMG we brought back zodiac signs cuz you asked for it!"
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
    edited May 2014
    Mstybl95 wrote:

It's there for romantic compatibility between Sims~ but other than that I agree it's just a star sign :?

Edit: spelling :oops:
    edited May 2014
    moo11x wrote:
    Mstybl95 wrote:

It's there for romantic compatibility between Sims~ but other than that I agree it's just a star sign :?

And even in that regard I never really notice any influence
    It's just..., I don't really like generalizations concerning under which sign you are born. Comparable to religion: you believe it or you don't.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited May 2014
    moo11x wrote:
    Mstybl95 wrote:

And even in that regard I never really notice any influence
    It's just..., I don't really like generalizations concerning under which sign you are born. Comparable to religion: you believe it or you don't.

It's there for fun I guess and it's not obligatory~ personally I like things like that so I do use it but nobody is forced to use it. Zodiac signs have been present in The Sims franchise since the beginning :wink:
    edited May 2014
    moo11x wrote:
    It's there for fun I guess and it's not obligatory~ personally I like things like that so I do use it but nobody is forced to use it. Zodiac signs have been present in The Sims franchise since the beginning :wink:
    True, but it would be if they would link characteristics to it. Like all aries being agressive, scorpio's sly, taurus headstrong... Nah...
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited May 2014
    moo11x wrote:
    True, but it would be if they would link characteristics to it. Like all aries being agressive, scorpio's sly, taurus headstrong... Nah...

Very true! That would be AWESOME!!! :mrgreen: would definitely up the gameplay~
    I hope they add this, if not now then in the future :-o

Edit: typing too fast :shock:
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited May 2014
    I would love a better personality system in the Sims 4. Not like Sims 2, not like Sims 3. A mix of the two with new stuff added in. Yup, I know it is too late for input to affect the system they already have in place but it can't hurt to say what I would like.

Personality points? I hated assigning those, there were never enough. Very limiting.

I would like Personality Sliders. For example a Neatness slider. Far to the left would be absolute slob and far to the right would be clean freak. Active/Lazy, Serious/Playful and so on. I think it would be more flexible than distributing an allotment of preset points.

I would like better traits, so many in the Sims 3 were absolutely useless or not well implemented. Some were downright annoying, most if not all could have used improvement.

And I would love the return of interests but better than both 2 and 3. 3 was extremely limited, favorite color, favorite music and favorite food... very limited. I'd like a lot more thought put into those.

I would also appreciate the return of turn ons and turn offs. Also better thought out that in 2, more in depth. Of course, Sims 3 didn't have this at all, so anything is better than that.

Short-term memory. I don't want all memories to stick around and clog things up. If something minor happens, maybe a memory of it for a short while with that memory affecting their emotions, wants, needs and or actions. More important things can stick in long-term memory and be remembered for sim years to come, also affecting the sim when they do actively recall a memory. Maybe through reminiscing. I really don't want to see it all played out in pop-ups how they are feeling or what they are remembering and talking about, I want more than that.

If I could see all that, but better explained and implemented, I'd be really happy with the personalities.
  • Graceey_72Graceey_72 Posts: 678 New Member
    edited May 2014
    Schweighsr wrote:
    I am completely underwhelmed by the TS3 trait system and think that ANYTHING would have been better than that. Having Traits was a good idea but it was horribly implemented. The Personality points and Aspirations in TS2 was done much better.

I don't mind if TS4 has only 3 Traits - I just pray that the Traits actually affect game-play more than they do now. For example I would give up the Insane Trait if Sims with the Evil Trait could actually do evil things like steal candy from a child Sim. Is there anything lamer than taking an Evil Shower or an Evil Nap? I mean even the animations were the same!

They can steal candy from babies and toddlers